Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

truther posted:

Next week everyone will have forgotten and moved onto the next thing media is telling them to be outraged about.

drat right look at all these sheeple blindly suckling at the MSM teat. Us true intellectuals know that this is just a diversion from the real issues.

exmarx posted:

reminder that aotearoa new zealand also imprisons asylum seekers (like, in jail) while their claims are being assessed

Only if they arrive by boat, which no one ever has. Asylum seekers arriving at the airport are released with absolutely no support, i.e. literally homeless while they're processed.

Im quite a believer in the fact that NZ needs to get it's own house in order, so if you're appalled at what's happening in the US but would prefer to give to a NZ based organisation then consider the Asylum Seekers Support Trust who are AFAIK the only organisation providing emergency housing to asylum seekers in NZ: http://aucklandrefugeecouncil.org

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jun 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

What Trump is doing is abhorrent, but it's worth remembering that we as a nation don't even give a poo poo that our "closest neighbour and ally" uses torture camps for refugees and intentionally delays their processing in the hopes they'll kill themselves before becoming accepted.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

What Trump is doing is abhorrent, but it's worth remembering that we as a nation don't even give a poo poo that our "closest neighbour and ally" uses torture camps for refugees and intentionally delays their processing in the hopes they'll kill themselves before becoming accepted.

Which is why 'we' need to be shot out of a cannon, into the sun.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

bike tory posted:

Only if they arrive by boat, which no one ever has. Asylum seekers arriving at the airport are released with absolutely no support, i.e. literally homeless while they're processed.

Im quite a believer in the fact that NZ needs to get it's own house in order, so if you're appalled at what's happening in the US but would prefer to give to a NZ based organisation then consider the Asylum Seekers Support Trust who are AFAIK the only organisation providing emergency housing to asylum seekers in NZ: http://aucklandrefugeecouncil.org

No, if they arrive at the airport they can be jailed: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/90117261/Asylum-seekers-locked-up-in-Auckland-prison-New-Zealands-own-Manus-Island

Here's Cunliffe floating the idea of not doing that anymore, way back in 2006: http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL0612/S00069.htm

Varkk posted:

Do we tell them we are taking the kids for a bath (((shower))) then deport the parents while leaving the kids in a detention centre?
Yes our immigration and asylum systems are bad. This is another level and if you aren’t angry about it you need some serious self reflection.

Don't be an idiot. How does it diminish the horror of ICE?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Oh for real that's lovely, it's good we get so few asylum seekers. I was thinking of the law National passed back in like 2012/13 that automatically detains any groups arriving by boat for up to 6 months.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

If it helps, this isn't some passing thing here - it's all over every news outlet and doesn't seem to be going away any time soon.

Trump doubling down on blaming the Democrats when it's demonstrably his administration that's responsible isn't helping him either

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Jaguars! posted:

Somewhere in transit NZ there are probably a bunch of engineers who know how things are done in cycle friendly places like the Netherlands who are in despair as we keep on adding cycle lanes to our busiest roads with parked cars on one side and moving cars on the other.

actually I used to be friends with someone that worked there, and what he told me always stuck with me.

it was along the lines of 'you will never see meaningful change in NZ. that takes 15-20 years to accomplish, and you're dealing with a department that can only plan 3 years in advance. that's why you'll only ever see stopgap measures, because no one's willing to risk their name being associated with a giant failure.'

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

bike tory posted:

I totally agree cyclists get a bad rap but in countries where cycling is really common there are absolutely cyclist on pedestrian fatal crashes. Obviously it's less likely than a car, but let's not pretend a cyclist can't kill a pedestrian.

There might be cyclist on pedestrian fatal crashes, but, there are no stats for it and I can't find any mention of any deaths of pedestrians caused by cyclists on stuff. I think its reasonable to pretend that cyclist can't kill a pedestrian for the purposes of simplifying the discussion.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Ardern babby on the way :dance:

klen dool posted:

There might be cyclist on pedestrian fatal crashes, but, there are no stats for it and I can't find any mention of any deaths of pedestrians caused by cyclists on stuff. I think its reasonable to pretend that cyclist can't kill a pedestrian for the purposes of simplifying the discussion.

This is from Japan in 2015 when the police announced a big crackdown on cyclist law violations.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2015/06/29/reference/law-gets-serious-cycling-safety/#.WyrOd8_3V-E posted:

According to NPA figures, cyclists caused 109,269 accidents last year, down from 188,338 in 2004, while fatal accidents fell to 542 from 870 a decade ago. 

So it's around .5% which is small but when you're talking fatalities it's not really. 5 out of every 1000 accidents is quite a lot when you're talking about people dying.

I don't think it's unreasonable to assume Japanese bikes are no more or less fatal than NZ ones?

e: I did some googling and found this from an NZ study in 2004

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/research/reports/289/

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 20, 2018

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

bike tory posted:

Ardern babby on the way :dance:

This is from Japan in 2015 when the police announced a big crackdown on cyclist law violations.

So it's around .5% which is small but when you're talking fatalities it's not really. 5 out of every 1000 accidents is quite a lot when you're talking about people dying.

I don't think it's unreasonable to assume Japanese bikes are no more or less fatal than NZ ones?

e: I did some googling and found this from an NZ study in 2004

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/research/reports/289/

The bikes and riders are probably no more or less dangerous in Japan, but there are a hell of a lot more bikes. But pedestrians are used to more bikes. I hardly ever saw people riding bikes in Japan when I was there a couple years ago, but there were bike parks full of bikes everywhere.

Even if NZ has 1 death caused by cyclists per 2000 road deaths, I still think my point holds.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

klen dool posted:

The bikes and riders are probably no more or less dangerous in Japan, but there are a hell of a lot more bikes. But pedestrians are used to more bikes. I hardly ever saw people riding bikes in Japan when I was there a couple years ago, but there were bike parks full of bikes everywhere.

Even if NZ has 1 death caused by cyclists per 2000 road deaths, I still think my point holds.

Did you look at the picture I posted? That study at least concludes that 7% of pedestrian road deaths are from accidents with cyclists. You can't just pretend that doesn't exist because it's convenient to your argument.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Casualties are not deaths.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

Casualties are not deaths.

I have learned something today

E: like I knew casualty was also used to just mean victims or people effected by something but I thought as a technical term it specifically meant fatalities

klen dool
May 7, 2007

bike tory posted:

Did you look at the picture I posted? That study at least concludes that 7% of pedestrian road deaths are from accidents with cyclists. You can't just pretend that doesn't exist because it's convenient to your argument.

I can pretend it doesn't exist when it's irrelevant to my "argument" - which is less an argument and more a casual conversation about how lovely car drivers in NZ are and how every time someone brings up how bad cars are it's inevitable that someone will pipe up about cyclists being somehow just as bad.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

First babby girl

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

klen dool posted:

I can pretend it doesn't exist when it's irrelevant to my "argument" - which is less an argument and more a casual conversation about how lovely car drivers in NZ are and how every time someone brings up how bad cars are it's inevitable that someone will pipe up about cyclists being somehow just as bad.

The other lovely thing about the road toll that is rarely discussed are the injuries and long term life-changing disabilities that can result. To its credit the Herald has done a few articles this year about it, but it still doesn't really come up much. 300 people dying is a lot, but a lot more are left crippled, traumatised, or have issues with pain medicine addiction etc as a result of road accidents.
If little Johnny gets hit by a car that ran a red light, his death isn't just it. His siblings might carry the trauma for the rest of their lives. His parents might get through ok, or they might divorce , turn to alcohol, suicide whatever just because their world has been hosed upside down.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
congrats to jacinda on the birth of the princess(?)

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

The radio this morning lead with 'Jacinda Ardern is in Labour at Auckland City Hospital' and I was all like 'well, duh.'

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I saw the comment somewhere "PM's labour goes national, a new zealand first"

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

bike tory posted:

I saw the comment somewhere "PM's labour goes national, a new zealand first"

Green stuff starts coming out of it

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Jesus this interview sounds like a shambles for Simon Bridges but Jeremy Wells was asking some questions that are frankly beneath him too

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zealand/2018/06/simon-bridges-plans-to-convert-pinko-ardern-baby.html

quote:

"Look, I don't think it's going to do a lot to help my poll ratings," he told hosts Matt Heath and Jeremy Wells.

"I don't hate it. Hate's a strong word."

The hosts then asked Mr Bridges if it's politically correct to have a female baby and if it should be considered genderfluid instead.

"Only under a Labour government," he replied.

"She should be going to school like in boy's clothes right?"

Mr Bridges suspects the baby has already cost the country "a lot" of money after its birth in a public hospital, and plans on converting it to a National supporter.

"Her grandfather is a cop, right. He knows what you need out there to be keeping people safe. And just because there's pinko ideas in the parents it doesn't mean the baby's taking those on board," he said.

"Cops vote blue. They know that we're strong on law and order. So Jacinda went to uni, she got some funny ideas. That baby gonna be spending a lot of time with her grandparents.

"You spend too much time in universities, you get funny ideas."

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
I think Jeremy was thinking he was being super clever by getting Bridges to make a fool of himself and forgot he was making a prat of himself too.

Not an excuse, but when you've got that National leader on the ropes like that I can see how you might take it too far.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Literally all he had to do was say “Congratulations on the healthy baby Jacinda”, he didn’t even have to mean it

Instead he said Labour would probably ban gender if they could and he plans on turning the PMs communist baby blue lol

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Someone used the word pinko unironically in 2018? What a shithead, like some kind of walking caricature.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

Someone used the word pinko unironically in 2018? What a shithead, like some kind of walking caricature.

I for one welcome our drift into American level rhetoric

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

lol he was obviously joking when he said "pinko", he just murdered the joke to the point where it became embarrassing and kinda offensive

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I can never tell with someone from National whether they are joking or not and find it safest to assume not.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Hmm yes, let's make sure only the rich get to have maternity care.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Hmm yes, let's make sure only the rich get to have maternity care.

people gave birth in caves on dirt ground for thousands of years, idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
PM's baby named: Neve Te Aroha Ardern Gayford

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

bike tory posted:

lol he was obviously joking when he said "pinko", he just murdered the joke to the point where it became embarrassing and kinda offensive

Bridge's calls Labour MPs Communists in Parliament constantly, he's not joking he's a literal moron.

Like I can't even begin to fathom how monumentally stupid Simon Bridges must be.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

He is a complete fuckwit

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Oh he definitely uses pinko and commie and poo poo dismissively and rhetorically, kinda in the same way that "snowflake" is deployed in the US to minimise minorities concerns.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
He calls them commies because his tiny smooth walnut brain sincerely believes NZ Labour is representative of communism

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
A few people at my work are extremely angry about the PM's baby. Not sure why apart from them being national supporters.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I actually stumbled into that small corner of NZ Twitter where the far right Christian dudes hang out and they're all pretty mad about it too. It's all about blocking news about the baby and tweeting about how actually research shows that exclusive breastfeeding for the first year is best for the child so maybe women should reconsider this whole work thing and let men fend for them as god intended.

I find it super hilarious that they can maintain this line of thought when it'd involve someone quitting her job as the prime minister so that her partner can make YouTube fishing videos. As if that's really what's best for their family.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

bike tory posted:

I actually stumbled into that small corner of NZ Twitter where the far right Christian dudes hang out and they're all pretty mad about it too. It's all about blocking news about the baby and tweeting about how actually research shows that exclusive breastfeeding for the first year is best for the child so maybe women should reconsider this whole work thing and let men fend for them as god intended.

I find it super hilarious that they can maintain this line of thought when it'd involve someone quitting her job as the prime minister so that her partner can make YouTube fishing videos. As if that's really what's best for their family.

No reason a crèche can’t be setup on the 9th floor. Imagine the PM sitting at her desk reading briefing papers while feeding.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

The one rant I've heard about it revolved around her 'pretending' to be outraged over being asked about whether or not she'd have a kid in office during that interview because she already knew she was pregnant so she was angry at being caught out already lying to the nation!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Varkk posted:

No reason a crèche can’t be setup on the 9th floor. Imagine the PM sitting at her desk reading briefing papers while feeding.

The guy in charge of the PMs security is a massive middle aged white dude and a former cop so you'd expect him to be hard right but he actually was a stay at home dad for five years and a massive Greenie, so she could hand off the baby to some safe hands

Or at least he was in charge of English's security, idk if it changes with the govt or anything