Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Well, you can always tell an engineer, but you can’t tell them much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Lobsterpillar posted:

Almost certainly, given that he became a property developer afterwards, and it looks like he went into management rather than maintaining any technical skills.

Uugggghhhhhhhhh it's like lovely boss bingo

And since he seems to be trying to rule by fear and can't handle people who he can't tell to shut the gently caress up, I'd say we are on a winner

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

quote:

Auckland Mayor Wayne Brown is making it clear; no one can boot him out of office.

He's hitting back at criticism after leaked text messages showed he had complained about having to talk to the media about the Auckland floods when he was due to be playing tennis.

Speaking to the NZ Herald, Brown says he's the mayor for three years and nobody can do anything about it.

He warned the journalist, who has known Brown for 20 years, that if he "does him over" no new stories will be coming his way.

Brown likens the text message being leaked to "rifling through people's rubbish bins" and says it's "no surprise journalists are hated".

gently caress you

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

this is the email i just sent his council address

Mayor Wayne Brown,
I didn't vote for you because I didn't think you were up to the job. Your performance the last few days has confirmed my original opinion of you.
Four are dead now, so I am imploring you to pull your head out of your rear end, stop focussing on who leaked your disgraceful text messages, and start leading.
If you don't want to lead, get out of the way.
Yours,

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

He's gonna read that, shed a single tear, and quit immediately

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

:shrug: i've said my piece

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
He's got chronic 'smartest guy in the room' syndrome. When all the mayoral candidates were offered a tour of the CRL project he didn't go and demanded a private briefing so he could ask more questions with his superior engineering brain. What a twat.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

victorious posted:

He's got chronic 'smartest guy in the room' syndrome.

gently caress. Yes.

Luckily the media hate a snubber above all other things and will tear him apart like wild dogs.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Slavvy posted:

gently caress. Yes.

Luckily the media hate a snubber above all other things and will tear him apart like wild dogs.

they're not exactly needing to try, he's doing a fine job by himself

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Why does he keep saying poo poo like this to people thinking it will be in confidence. Is this like the fourth it has happened now?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

bike tory posted:

Why does he keep saying poo poo like this to people thinking it will be in confidence. Is this like the fourth it has happened now?

Robo Captain posted:

I didn't realize Wayne Brown was an engineer, it explains so much.

Autism and arrogance, a deadly combination

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hipkins speaking to media, Brown nowhere to be seen

I mean for fucks sake

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

bike tory posted:

he thinks someone who he's in a whatsapp group with leaking messages to the press is the same thing as journalists going through his rubbish lmao

even his grumpy old mates hate him

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004

bike tory posted:

should we feel bad for bullying the mayor in a time of crisis?

No.

Maybe a little bad that our level of civics education lead to someone thinking getting elected mayor makes you King of Auckland.

Edit, just saw the spinoff article

Spinoff posted:

Under-fire Auckland mayor Wayne Brown has doubled (tripled?) down on his criticism of the media, accusing reporters of ignoring the work he has done in the wake of last week’s floods.

In a conversation with Herald reporter David Fisher, who was first leaked the now infamous “drongo” text, Brown said the media “can’t get over the fact the person they loved, I beat him by a mile” – a reference to Efeso Collins.

Brown also complained about media attention given to members of the All Blacks who turned up to help in Māngere on Monday. They were just “unloading a few boxes”, said Brown, but the media would “fly through the Blitz” to “kiss their arse”. In contrast, he accused reports of ignoring visits he had undertaken. “I paid for a helicopter. Me. I paid for it. The taxpayer paid for [PM Chris Hipkins’ helicopter]. There’s some balancing stuff. Just think about that,” Brown said.

Over the weekend, Brown said he would absolutely not be stepping down as mayor. That message was reinforced in the conversation with Fisher. “I am the mayor for three years. You can’t do anything about that. No one else in New Zealand is going to get 180,000 votes. That was my mandate.”

While Brown was happy for Fisher to report the aggressive phone call, he did say: “Don’t gently caress me over.” Fisher described Brown’s attitude in the phone call to Donald Trump, saying there’s a “reflex to self-justify and defend himself”.

I bet he has lots of friends.

Spyderizer fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 1, 2023

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

El Pollo Blanco posted:

he thinks someone who he's in a whatsapp group with leaking messages to the press is the same thing as journalists going through his rubbish lmao

even his grumpy old mates hate him

"Wayne Brown is like if Marie Antoinette was played by a scrotum" is a reddit comment I wish I could take credit for bc lmao

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:lol:

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
at least he can spell arse correctly

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

mr brown, i don't care if you paid for a helicopter. you loving twerp. the taxpayer is paying for everything else you're not doing.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/wayne...FHTBXWXE5BIMQY/

Can someone please unpaywall this, the Javascript trick don't work for me

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

It's a long article.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
He does not seem to be a happy man.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
what is a drongo

It's catchy but I'm worried it's some sort of slur

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Google Jeb Bush posted:

what is a drongo

Generic term for idiot

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Ghostlight posted:

mr brown, i don't care if you paid for a helicopter. you loving twerp. the taxpayer is paying for everything else you're not doing.

Extreme technically correct engineer voice: taxpayers don't pay my salary the ratepayers do

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I paid for a helicopter! Me!!!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Google Jeb Bush posted:

what is a drongo

It's not.

Wow, TIL:

mid 19th century: from Malagasy. drongo (sense 2) is said to be from the name of an Australian racehorse of the 1920s which consistently finished last or near last.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Tag yourself I'm being butthurt about not being recognized at a presser

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

sebmojo posted:

It's not.

Wow, TIL:

mid 19th century: from Malagasy. drongo (sense 2) is said to be from the name of an Australian racehorse of the 1920s which consistently finished last or near last.

Lol, sometimes the backstory makes things less funny but that one delivers.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

*never talks to the media*

*gets mad when the media don't recognise him*

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/wayne...FHTBXWXE5BIMQY/

Can someone please unpaywall this, the Javascript trick don't work for me

FYI if you add a . after the .co.nz it bypasses the paywall.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz./nz/wayn...FHTBXWXE5BIMQY/

It might give you a warning in your browser though.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Taitale posted:

FYI if you add a . after the .co.nz it bypasses the paywall.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz./nz/wayn...FHTBXWXE5BIMQY/

It might give you a warning in your browser though.

lol how the gently caress does that work?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

bike tory posted:

lol how the gently caress does that work?

The media are drongos XD

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004

Wafflecopper posted:

*never talks to the media*

*gets mad when the media don't recognise him*

*gets mad about his lack of leadership being criticised*

*complains about not being told how to manage a crisis*

Spyderizer fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 1, 2023

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Lmao how did this mad old oval office get put in charge of anything

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Lmao how did this mad old oval office get put in charge of anything

Apathy.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

more like racism, right wing reactionaries, and a particularly bad campaign from the left

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
That article is dead right about him having extremely "very stable genius" trump energy

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

auckland allows houses to vote as their owners and is like 40% rental properties.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

It's not just Auckland and it's not like one vote per house, but yeah you get to vote in any area in which you pay rates. It's still bullshit and should be scrapped in favour of a single electoral roll like for general elections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

180k people voted him in. It's apathy + an off-putting system