Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/po...-flood-response

I love that it just keeps coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Jfc :negative:

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
So clearly, lots of systems didn't work like you would hope on Friday. Partly because of the sheer scale of the event and just how quickly events played out, and partly due to some clear faults in leadership, emergency management and comms.

Given the first homes were under water before 4pm and the rain was pretty clearly continuing to fall at some rate, an emergency mobile warning should have gone out as soon as possible around then in an effort to get people off the road before rush hour, and encourage people to shelter in place or seek high ground. But that's easier to say with hindsight.

As for what appears to be the dismal failure of communications both from the various organisations (AT, WK, CDEM, Council, Mayor, Police, FENZ) to the public and the appearance of lack of comms and coordination between those groups, yeah, not all of that falls on the Mayor, but I'd be really interested to see if there were any briefings on emergency procedures that the Mayor should have had, but blew off. How much of these problems stemmed from him not being engaged with the job fully, from him not building relationships with key stake holders?

A good example being his moaning about paying for his own chopper - had he built a relationship with govt, maybe they might have invited him to join the PM on his chopper ride? (Also he was quite happy to skite about his chopper owning mate taking him for a joyride when he won election, so I'll eat my hat if he actually paid for it)

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
'They told me "Stand by your desk and wait for the paperwork"'

That image is so funny, it makes the mayor look like a hopeless junior apprentice with someone who actually knows what they're doing telling him to sit still and not touch anything until he's told.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Nice find, got the link to that article?

I'm interested if they address qualitative vs quantitative savings. IE how much does the bottom 10% get from that 20 bucks/mo. (Yes yes, the tax cut on fuel was a poor way of going about things, but now that it's done might as well take a good look at it)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Serephina posted:

Nice find, got the link to that article?

I'm interested if they address qualitative vs quantitative savings. IE how much does the bottom 10% get from that 20 bucks/mo. (Yes yes, the tax cut on fuel was a poor way of going about things, but now that it's done might as well take a good look at it)

Yeah this is what I'm interested in. $20 to me is a lot more significant than $60 to boomer mclandlord

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

i just remembered the bit where he boasted about getting more votes in the auckland mayoral election than the mp for west hamilton or some poo poo got in the general election lmao yes they're totally comparable well done

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

victorious posted:

'They told me "Stand by your desk and wait for the paperwork"'

That image is so funny, it makes the mayor look like a hopeless junior apprentice with someone who actually knows what they're doing telling him to sit still and not touch anything until he's told.

"Brown is focusing on the “state of emergency” declaration - the decision was made around 9.30pm, announced by press release at 10.17pm but not communicated by Brown himself until 11.15pm when he signed it formally in front of the media. “And the forms are complicated as well.”"

Awwww the form (probably filled in by staff?) is complicated? Wayne Brown, engineer, businessman, Mr Fixit, former mayor, is troubled by a simple form?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

We should buy him an account

I was hoping my email would strike a nerve and he'd send an angry reply

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

i just remembered the bit where he boasted about getting more votes in the auckland mayoral election than the mp for west hamilton or some poo poo got in the general election lmao yes they're totally comparable well done

I thought that was about the recent by-election, not the general.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

i kinda doubt he even reads it himself, he probably has a PA to sift out ones like yours

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Taitale posted:

I thought that was about the recent by-election, not the general.

probably

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

i kinda doubt he even reads it himself, he probably has a PA to sift out ones like yours

That was why I looked at the auckland council website to work out the format of their email addresses and sent it direct to his own one, not any of the mayor's ones ;)

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
bullying works... gotta keep it up

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Speaking of angry replies, someone asked Mike Lee where he was, having been silent on socials since before Christmas.

https://twitter.com/spil030/status/1620267773170688002?s=20

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I doubt his council issued laptop has been powered on since day 1.

Smithersnz
May 10, 2005

We freaked out yesterday. Let's just freak in tonight
Soiled Meat

Spyderizer posted:

Why the gently caress do I have to type a password in, I'm the Mayor!

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Spyderizer posted:

OIA the metadata about total length of time is been powered on each day

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
It just doesn't stop holy crap.

https://twitter.com/StrayDogNZ/status/1620905310079827969?s=20&t=9hm6GFis_Kiyi_vco-HvFw

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

He's like that monk on the ratm cover, self immolating by media

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Damned gotcha journalists

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That man is unable to talk in a public role, holy crap. Kind of an important skill for a Mayor I'd have thought!

Also kudos to that journalist for dragging him actually scratch that, it's not dragging, it's just a mild pressure and he's collapsing like a cheap folding chair.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

She's just kind of sitting there in disbelief going uhhhhhh wtf m8

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://twitter.com/spider_hoof/status/1620818885451587590?s=20&t=6IuIsv99AvqRuJdcFNJIqQ

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Find this darkly funny to me because it is a legit issue but he still comes off as a total clown.

Elevator in my building was out until an hour or so ago. It's only 4 floors (5 if from basement garage) so not an issue for most residents but was causing issues for one woman in a wheelchair.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Taitale posted:

Find this darkly funny to me because it is a legit issue but he still comes off as a total clown.

Elevator in my building was out until an hour or so ago. It's only 4 floors (5 if from basement garage) so not an issue for most residents but was causing issues for one woman in a wheelchair.

Well there is the whole thing of him admitting to knowingly withholding info from emergency services to make them look worse

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Well there is the whole thing of him admitting to knowingly withholding info from emergency services to make them look worse

Yeah that's what I mean. Tries to puff himself him and looks even worse for it.

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004

Serephina posted:

That man is unable to talk in a public role, holy crap. Kind of an important skill for a Mayor I'd have thought!

Also kudos to that journalist for dragging him actually scratch that, it's not dragging, it's just a mild pressure and he's collapsing like a cheap folding chair.

The AM show's not especially known for asking the tough questions. I guess when you're Wayne Brown every question's a tough question.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

You can hear him going back and forth between whether it looks worse to admit he'd been caught in a lie trying to make himself look better than emergency services, or whether it looks worse to claim to have known about elderly people stuck at the top of apartment buildings for days and not doing anything about it.

don't sleep on this one goons^

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 2, 2023

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004

bike tory posted:

don't sleep on this one goons^

Somehow we also wound up in the timeline where he's in a game show hosted by Paula Bennett.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

BuckyDoneGun posted:

So clearly, lots of systems didn't work like you would hope on Friday. Partly because of the sheer scale of the event and just how quickly events played out, and partly due to some clear faults in leadership, emergency management and comms.

Given the first homes were under water before 4pm and the rain was pretty clearly continuing to fall at some rate, an emergency mobile warning should have gone out as soon as possible around then in an effort to get people off the road before rush hour, and encourage people to shelter in place or seek high ground. But that's easier to say with hindsight.

As for what appears to be the dismal failure of communications both from the various organisations (AT, WK, CDEM, Council, Mayor, Police, FENZ) to the public and the appearance of lack of comms and coordination between those groups, yeah, not all of that falls on the Mayor, but I'd be really interested to see if there were any briefings on emergency procedures that the Mayor should have had, but blew off. How much of these problems stemmed from him not being engaged with the job fully, from him not building relationships with key stake holders?

A good example being his moaning about paying for his own chopper - had he built a relationship with govt, maybe they might have invited him to join the PM on his chopper ride? (Also he was quite happy to skite about his chopper owning mate taking him for a joyride when he won election, so I'll eat my hat if he actually paid for it)

I mean a deceleration is exactly what would’ve let these agencies be coordinated in a coherent manner (by a Controller)

Wouldn’t surprise me if they were just neck deep doing whatever was in front of them while thinking “any time now, I’ll get told by Ops where I need to go…..aaaanny time…”

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

:laugh:

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Spyderizer posted:

Somehow we also wound up in the timeline where he's in a game show hosted by Paula Bennett.

it's cos both of them are human garbage op

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

alpaca diseases posted:

I mean a deceleration is exactly what would’ve let these agencies be coordinated in a coherent manner (by a Controller)

Wouldn’t surprise me if they were just neck deep doing whatever was in front of them while thinking “any time now, I’ll get told by Ops where I need to go…..aaaanny time…”

a declaration isn't needed to coordinate the response, it just unlocks a bunch of coercive powers (forced evacuations, co-opting private resources, etc)

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

exmarx posted:

a declaration isn't needed to coordinate the response, it just unlocks a bunch of coercive powers (forced evacuations, co-opting private resources, etc)

Calling in extra staff from govt agencies to coordinate the response? Most have in their job descriptions something about helping during a state of emergency

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Lobsterpillar posted:

Calling in extra staff from govt agencies to coordinate the response? Most have in their job descriptions something about helping during a state of emergency

there's a general requirement for government agencies to respond to emergencies as required and align their response activities regardless of whether a state of emergency is declared. a declaration being in place means the controller must coordinate govt resources, but they could still request + coordinate them without it.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The timing of the state of emergency declaration is not really the issue. It was pretty clear from about 6:30pm that it was going to be needed and I think there's a valid argument that doing so then would've sent a message that kept more people safe and off the roads and poo poo, making emergency services jobs easier. But it's been made clear that the powers activated by the declaration weren't necessary until 9:30, at which point it was declared.

The real problem with the mayor's response was that he had no idea what to do and sat around waiting for others to tell him. He didn't know what information was important, what questions to ask, or who he needed to be communicating it to. It looks like he didn't even know what powers he had or what his role was in the situation at all. The most intelligent thing he had to add to the situation by 7:30, when half the city was under water, was "we need it to stop raining". The fact that he didn't know even the next day whether the tap water was safe to drink is emblematic, and he only found out because Kim Hill asked him. Just a massive failure of leadership.

Lots of issues more broadly with the civil defence and emergency systems. The total radio silence from all official channels between 7-10 is inexcusable, and way worse than anything the mayor did or didn't do. Like yeah it took everyone by surprise, but their claim that they were too busy assisting with poo poo on the ground to work comms is bullshit.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

bike tory posted:

The timing of the state of emergency declaration is not really the issue.

The total radio silence from all official channels between 7-10 is inexcusable, and way worse than anything the mayor did or didn't do. Like yeah it took everyone by surprise, but their claim that they were too busy assisting with poo poo on the ground to work comms is bullshit.

Yeah this. Every single org has comms staff who's only job is comms, not I dunno, buckets or driving the fire engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Holy poo poo another big earthquake!

E: 4.8 on the thing scale

Hope all goons are safe!

Dragonstoned fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Feb 2, 2023