Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.
i’ve used gogs too and it’s very good for self-hosted. gitlab lets you self host too but it’s made by garbage idiots and will leak/take up the entirety of your server’s resources

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

dads friend steve posted:

looking forward to Microsoft’s faithful and attentive stewardship to this important project

this but unironically.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Fiedler posted:

this but unironically.

if only for the laughs it will bring

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

here is perhaps one solution that comes close to mastadon for git

https://github.com/noffle/git-ssb-intro

it is blockchain-free as well

yes i’m aware of the irony of trying to find a decentralized tool for a tool that’s already made to be decentralized

also after looking at GitLab it looks like their trending repos are like school projects, and their top starred repos are all to do with HitLab itself. not great for finding cool stuff.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

there is a comparison of some (mostly older) github alternatives here: https://forge-allura.apache.org/p/allura/wiki/Feature%20Comparison

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

one reasonable alternative to github is vsts

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

So, war with Red Hat?

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

https://www.wired.com/2015/06/problem-putting-worlds-code-github/

quote:

The ideals of open source software center on freedom, sharing, and collective benefit—the polar opposite of venture capitalists seeking a multibillion-dollar exit.

heh 2 billion dollar exit to be exact. but the author saw this coming.

quote:

Whatever its stated principles, GitHub is under immense pressure to be more than just a sustainable business. When profit motives and community ideals clash, especially in the software world, the end result isn't always pretty.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
Windows Live Source Safe Storage Community for Enterprise Plus!

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

they're gonna replace the green dots with xbox live gold achievements

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
why would i give a poo poo about who owns github. it’s not like github has some amazing reliability record that’s going to be at risk

even in some paranoiac world where i’m worried about microsoft loving with my repositories, they really can’t, not without leaving really obvious evidence

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

rjmccall posted:

why would i give a poo poo about who owns github. it’s not like github has some amazing reliability record that’s going to be at risk

even in some paranoiac world where i’m worried about microsoft loving with my repositories, they really can’t, not without leaving really obvious evidence

oh they will https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSAKEY

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

allow me to reassure you that the ownership of github will in no way affect the ability of state intelligence agencies to access your private repositories

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

microsoft already steals from github's public repos

https://twitter.com/jamiebuilds/status/1002696910266773505

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
i'm hoping that now people will care about interoperability and all the github repo metadata like Issues and PRs will get folded back into Git itself

or even just like ghpages but ghmeta with data dumps or something

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
lol jfc what an idea

like how loving stupid would you have to be to treat a “private” github repo as some sort of confidential data drop

let me take this random internet company in tyool 2018 and just hand them information that it’s vitally important that nobody else can access, based on nothing at all

just a truly incredible level of foolishness, i mean literally unbelievable, thank god nobody would actually loving do that

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

i'm hoping that now people will care about interoperability and all the github repo metadata like Issues and PRs will get folded back into Git itself

that would be nice, but still there ought to be a centralized-ish source for finding libraries, code examples and viewing someone's code contributions. non-devs also need to be able to create issues and manage projects. i don't really mind whether or not that's rooted in git. but yeah, interoperability. there are discussions on Gogs', Gitea's and Gitlab's issue trackers about adding federation features (like Mastadon), and many have suggested using W3C standard ActivityPub/ActivityStream. that could be cool. but maybe git should just build that in too.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

rjmccall posted:

lol jfc what an idea

like how loving stupid would you have to be to treat a “private” github repo as some sort of confidential data drop

let me take this random internet company in tyool 2018 and just hand them information that it’s vitally important that nobody else can access, based on nothing at all

just a truly incredible level of foolishness, i mean literally unbelievable, thank god nobody would actually loving do that

do you ever trust anyone ever? or just about computers?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
did you sign a contract with github? are you providing consideration in some way?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

rjmccall posted:

lol jfc what an idea

hey I host mycrimes.txt in MEGA okay

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

rjmccall posted:

lol jfc what an idea

agreed, but now that microsoft owns github it's far more reasonable to use it in this way.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

PleasureKevin posted:

microsoft already steals from github's public repos

https://twitter.com/jamiebuilds/status/1002696910266773505

here's what's going to happen with this:
1) they'll add a notice file indicating that the project is based on third-party code, the name of its author, and that it is licensed under the MIT license.
2) the dude that did it will be fired.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Fiedler posted:

one reasonable alternative to github is vsts

:grin:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
7.5 billion united states dollars

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Cheap for access to the source of all new code written in the last decade.

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fiedler posted:

here's what's going to happen with this:
1) they'll add a notice file indicating that the project is based on third-party code, the name of its author, and that it is licensed under the MIT license.
2) the dude that did it will be fired.

is there any proof that this even happened? or is it some nerd mad his oss project is no longer needed

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Themage posted:

is there any proof that this even happened? or is it some nerd mad his oss project is no longer needed

he claims that after complaining to microsoft they altered their code and commit history to obfuscate the similarity, so it sounds like it might just be a nerd being salty

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

we'll see. it's entirely plausible either way, but it's certain that the microsoft guy will be getting to meet his friendly neighborhood corporate counsel.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

there’s really nothing github does you couldn’t already do with git and a mailing list :smuggo:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol a buddy of mine told me that he just got hired at github and is flying to sf today for orientation. great timing.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
remember the left-pad fiasco? yeah get ready for a lot of that

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

ewe2 posted:

linux project departing in 3..2..1
don't worry i'm sure they'll be able to arrange suitable independent hosti

quote:

Spare a thought for Jasper Spaans, who hosts the Linux Kernel Mailing List archive from a single PC that lives in his home. And since things always happen this way the home machine died while he was on holiday.

The lkml.org archive was therefore unavailable for much of the weekend, although Linux developers could still use mirrors like Indiana University's effort.

Spaans quickly learned of the outage and he said it was a simple issue, that a brief power outage – caused by an overflowing washing machine that tripped the breakers – left the server waiting for a Linux Unified Key Setup (LUKS) password to unlock the boot partition after its forced reboot.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

well, isn't kernel.org the actual home for the code anyway? the github stuff was just a mirror, wasn't it?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Tankakern posted:

well, isn't kernel.org the actual home for the code anyway? the github stuff was just a mirror, wasn't it?

Well technically the linux code is everywhere because git. But it's not a great look.

Gazpacho posted:

don't worry i'm sure they'll be able to arrange suitable independent hosti

Now there's a good argument for distributed vcs mailing-lists :smugdog:

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

microsoft github pro for business professional

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Tankakern posted:

yeah pretty much. if you submit a PR to Linus’s Github mirror he has a bot close it and refer you to the mailing list lol

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i like gitlab a lot (more than i did 24 hours ago)

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

Roosevelt posted:

microsoft github pro for business professional
Microsoft® GitHub® IOT for Home and Student 2018®

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

visual studio cloud :yaycloud:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Gazpacho posted:

remember the left-pad fiasco? yeah get ready for a lot of that

how many go projects are going to break/gradually have hilariously out-of-date dependencies when the upstream project moves off of github

• Locked thread