Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

gitlab vs. bitbucket vs. self-hosted Github clones vs. ???

wanna hear some takes on what’s best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

TimWinter posted:

Oh thank god we spent months building a CI system around the concept of conditionally running PR tests based on bespoke github webhook data.

stealing this take, this is a good take.

im pretty sure gitlab will have the exact same integrations and it will be a matter of changing a few settings, tbh

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

like where do i have “github” written in my code, nowhere. setup of code ship was just a matter of clicking one button, authorizing, then selecting a repo. surely doing adding a remote, doing a hit push and then clicking another button on the CI is actually gonna be pretty painless

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

TimWinter posted:

I locally host gogs for a couple of projects and it's nice. It was a perfect github clone when I originally set it up.

what was that oddly named twitter clone? mastadon? you could host a twitter clone, but also browse other servers like it was one big site. no block chains involved iirc. they need that for github.

like let me host my own private repos, but let anyone see my public ones and vice versa.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

TimWinter posted:

Those are kind words but I spent most of the day Friday trying to sort through which keys exist on both the PR merge events vs the more similar new PR and update PR events and they're not the ones you'd expect!

great now do it again while it’s fresh in your mind

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Fiedler posted:

this but unironically.

if only for the laughs it will bring

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

here is perhaps one solution that comes close to mastadon for git

https://github.com/noffle/git-ssb-intro

it is blockchain-free as well

yes i’m aware of the irony of trying to find a decentralized tool for a tool that’s already made to be decentralized

also after looking at GitLab it looks like their trending repos are like school projects, and their top starred repos are all to do with HitLab itself. not great for finding cool stuff.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

there is a comparison of some (mostly older) github alternatives here: https://forge-allura.apache.org/p/allura/wiki/Feature%20Comparison

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

https://www.wired.com/2015/06/problem-putting-worlds-code-github/

quote:

The ideals of open source software center on freedom, sharing, and collective benefit—the polar opposite of venture capitalists seeking a multibillion-dollar exit.

heh 2 billion dollar exit to be exact. but the author saw this coming.

quote:

Whatever its stated principles, GitHub is under immense pressure to be more than just a sustainable business. When profit motives and community ideals clash, especially in the software world, the end result isn't always pretty.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

they're gonna replace the green dots with xbox live gold achievements

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

rjmccall posted:

why would i give a poo poo about who owns github. it’s not like github has some amazing reliability record that’s going to be at risk

even in some paranoiac world where i’m worried about microsoft loving with my repositories, they really can’t, not without leaving really obvious evidence

oh they will https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSAKEY

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

microsoft already steals from github's public repos

https://twitter.com/jamiebuilds/status/1002696910266773505

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

i'm hoping that now people will care about interoperability and all the github repo metadata like Issues and PRs will get folded back into Git itself

or even just like ghpages but ghmeta with data dumps or something

that would be nice, but still there ought to be a centralized-ish source for finding libraries, code examples and viewing someone's code contributions. non-devs also need to be able to create issues and manage projects. i don't really mind whether or not that's rooted in git. but yeah, interoperability. there are discussions on Gogs', Gitea's and Gitlab's issue trackers about adding federation features (like Mastadon), and many have suggested using W3C standard ActivityPub/ActivityStream. that could be cool. but maybe git should just build that in too.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

rjmccall posted:

lol jfc what an idea

like how loving stupid would you have to be to treat a “private” github repo as some sort of confidential data drop

let me take this random internet company in tyool 2018 and just hand them information that it’s vitally important that nobody else can access, based on nothing at all

just a truly incredible level of foolishness, i mean literally unbelievable, thank god nobody would actually loving do that

do you ever trust anyone ever? or just about computers?

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Fiedler posted:

here's what's going to happen with this:
1) they'll add a notice file indicating that the project is based on third-party code, the name of its author, and that it is licensed under the MIT license.
2) the dude that did it will be fired.

why have they waited so long and covered up so much evidence in the meantime, going so far as to alter their git history?

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Fiedler posted:

seriously, think about this for half a second. the original source code is MIT licensed. it's loving free. to comply legally microsoft just needs to put copyright notices into a couple of files.

they didn't do this though, that's the problem.

i've been on SA hiatus for a while but this is nevertheless some of the worst self-delusion i've seen. your head is so far up your rear end you can't apply your same "people act good and rationally therefore microsoft wouldn't do this" to both parties, nor any further than it takes you to arrive at a comfortable position.

Lerna is a well-known and respected tool used by many and the dev's word goes pretty far with me, especially compared to a company that has been caught doing this exact same thing before. the Lerna folks stand to gain: their name at the bottom of a README, some GitHub activity points and their name in a file named LICENSE. microsoft is marketing this as better than the alternatives, so they stand to gain materially by maintaining it's highly differentiated or all-new. the motives are very unequally balanced.

as for your mythology that lawyers would tell people to humbly admit wrong-doing and hug-it-out: it would also be sound legal advice to advise that devs recode it enough that's it's no longer a derivative work. and of course admit no wrong doing or speak to anyone about it at all as their statements may incriminate them. which is what they're doing.

PleasureKevin fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 5, 2018

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

also came across this Chinese Github alternative that looks pretty slick. looks to be a much larger amount of content on it than Gitlab, and higher quality than what the trending section of Gitlab shows. you can click english in the bottom right corner, but it's not fully translated, although navigable. https://gitee.com/zTree/zTree_v3

would be a great outcome if Github's exit causes more people to learn chinese 🤗

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Fiedler posted:

yeah, no. some pissant oss library used by no one outside of microsoft is of zero importance to microsoft.

i get it, not everyone has heard of Lerna. yahoo news and garfield.com/comic have so far not covered it, so who can expect you to have known.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

in the year 2018, the person who made babeljs.io, yarnpkg.org, flow.org, is the 8th most active contributor to babel, 18th to yarn, 54th to flow, 2nd to lerna, member of the Ecmascript Tech Committee, speaker at dozens of events around and gay is handedly more reputable than the company that made me pay $300 for Windows Vista when all I wanted to do was play Halo 2 after their notoriously faulty Xbox DVD drives left me unable to play dual-layer DVD-based games I HAVEN'T FORGOTTEN

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

pram posted:

the weakest burn lol

I had to be carried out of the exercise gym on a stretcher after the water from the water fountain was too heavy for my body to handle, and my head crashed out of control into 2 tonnes worth or piled yoga mats. so stop calling me weak because i've been through hell and back again and i'll chew you up and spit you out as soon as I have the neck gains required for basic mobility.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Baxate posted:

don't trust js devs

not all microsoft devs are bad!

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

unfamiliar with it sorry

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Fiedler posted:

to spell it out for you, your theory is that the lovely oss library rush -- used by no one -- is so important to microsoft that they've decided to engage in a conspiracy to hide the evidence that it copied from lerna so that they won't have to add some copyright notice files. you complete imbecile.

you're on quite the trip man, you're some weird microsoft apologist who swears by their products, and now has to watch them buy up all the products everyone else has been using as an alternative to them because they suck and are bad. and now you have to defend those microsoft alternatives, while microsoft uses a pocket pen to try break up a very large poo poo it just dropped on open source so that it will flush.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

TimWinter posted:

Are there any other examples of Microsoft plagiarizing oss or is this one example that the current license holder rebukes all we've got.

it’s happened many times

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

it's happening

https://github.com/git-federation/gitpub

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

eschaton posted:

what are they going to write the code in

something easy to host that doesn’t scale?

or something artisanal and impossible to host?

maybe prolog

or APL

you know it’s not going to be something normal that just fits in with the rest of the ecosystem, that wouldn’t be interesting enough

i will answer with the authority of someone who just reads page titles and then posts the link here:

they aren’t building anything, they’re just adding ActivityStream/ActivityPub to Gogs/Gitea/GitLab in whatever language those things are written in. I think they’re just discussing how to use those W3C standards as they’re built to be used in many use cases, it’s just that all clients for a certain federation need to agree on what words to use for stuff and where.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

suck my woke dick posted:

that t rex gait is biomechanically very slightly incorrect in the foot, not enough to be totally garbage but just wrong enough to be upsetting

you’re not biochemically right in the head

• Locked thread