Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
theres so much back and forth and so many competing arguments between the company and this guy that after absorbing all of it i found it harder to actually determine what the gently caress happened, but as the women involved haven't recanted what they said or suggested any sort of forgiveness, i dont really feel good about supporting him. i cant, however, really formulate a convincing moral position to judge people that do buy the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

budd dwyer thought posted:

This is what I read:

https://www.eurogamer.net/sunless-sea-studio-failbetter-games-reaches-mutally-agreeable-settlement-with-former-creative-director

Obviously 'all their disputes' and 'long-standing disagreements' are vague but they must include the sexual harassment, right? That was almost all they argued about publicly

Like I'm not dying on the hill of defending a workplace sexual harasser, this just seemed pretty definitive

kurona_bright posted:

I fail to see how Failbetter, the company, coming to terms with Kennedy has to do with resolving the accusations individual women have made against him

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
imo, based on having read the stuff, alexis kennedy is definitely guilty. but also i don't care if you buy a game by a bad guy, but also I personally wouldn't buy this one and would pirate it instead.

Lester
Sep 17, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

If it were some huge company, that would be one thing. But the only named accusers were all (both?) longtime Failbetter employees, right? And Olivia Wood was quite senior after Kennedy left. The women and the company issued statements against Kennedy at the same time, supporting one another, etc. It's pretty intuitive to closely associate a small indie game company and its employees when they're all saying the same thing.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm on the side of feeling like you should just play the game if it seems fun to you, especially since Alexis seems to have a work situation now where the only person working with him is his wife (so the potential for future wrongdoing seems limited), but to be fair that Failbetter statement was pretty clearly compelled as part of a settlement, and they turned replies off on the tweet for a reason. It's presumably not something they're happy to be saying, and don't want to have to defend/can't explain it for legal reasons anyway. He's said he can't go into it either, but in contrast to their silence he's expressed that he's feeling very good about the outcome.

I don't know if all of that was part of the deal over the bungled sale of the Fallen London IP, or if they were in danger of a court deciding they went too far with some statements and defamed him alongside accurate condemnations of his bad behavior, or some other reason, but in any case I definitely wouldn't read into it that they've all made up and are friends now or anything.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

This is what I read:

https://www.eurogamer.net/sunless-sea-studio-failbetter-games-reaches-mutally-agreeable-settlement-with-former-creative-director

Obviously 'all their disputes' and 'long-standing disagreements' are vague but they must include the sexual harassment, right? That was almost all they argued about publicly

Like I'm not dying on the hill of defending a workplace sexual harasser, this just seemed pretty definitive

I read this more as referring to the ownership dispute and the legal situation between him and the company (disentangling a founder who's not on good terms with the company anymore from the company can be tricky).

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

If it were some huge company, that would be one thing. But the only named accusers were all (both?) longtime Failbetter employees, right? And Olivia Wood was quite senior after Kennedy left. The women and the company issued statements against Kennedy at the same time, supporting one another, etc. It's pretty intuitive to closely associate a small indie game company and its employees when they're all saying the same thing.

If you check back on page 60, which is when the news broke, it seems pretty apparent to me that there were women outside of Failbetter who accused Kennedy. Also, Emily Short and Meg Jayanth both supported those accusations, and neither of them were actually working for Failbetter at the time, even if they had contributed some material to their games. Emily Short did end up as a full time employee for a while, but that was only in the past 2-3 years or so. I don’t believe Meg Jayanth was ever a full-time employee.

Edit:
I find it really hard to believe his behavior was just limited to Failbetter employees, especially when looking at these tweets:
https://x.com/betterthemask/status/1166757339304796167?s=20
https://x.com/betterthemask/status/1166757341997543430?s=20
https://x.com/betterthemask/status/1166757343767465986?s=20
https://x.com/lmichet/status/1166758734191722496?s=20

If only the claims of 'named accusers' are being considered here, I guess this argument makes sense. But actually, no, Meg Jayanth was the one who originally publicly accused Kennedy and again, she's only done contract work for Failbetter's games. Do you specifically mean 'named victims'? Because that's very different then what's currently being argued.

kurona_bright fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 13, 2023

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Yeah a couple of game industry goons also chimed in on this thread about their personal experiences with him and his particular reputation in cons. You can go back in the thread to read those if you need. The accusations are not just a Failbetter vs Kennedy thing or some isolated incident. But rather it's part of a pattern of behavior that's been a thing with this guy long before any of this poo poo came out into the public.

Like play the game if you have to play the game. Just understand who you are supporting and make your own peace with it.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
It's not like he gets another twenty bucks every time you boot up the game. If you'd already bought it before we found out what he did, then you didn't know and had no way to know.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
in fact it's made with unity iirc so now you just have to repeatedly install and reinstall it to wreck him financially

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

There is no doubt in my mind that accusations are true and Alexis Kennedy is a poo poo person, nevertheless fascination with lore, release discount and perpetual edition tipped me over from moral position