Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Cultist Simulator: The Thread Has No Walls

Cultist Simulator is the latest game by forums favourite Alexis Kennedy, who founded the studio that made Fallen London and Sunless Sea, and who wrote the delightfully creepy Horizon Signal chain for Stellaris.
The game is a take on the old Cthulhu mythos concept: you are a person in a kind of alternate-universe 1920s London who by one of a variety of paths becomes aware of tantalising mysteries and forbidden knowledge etc., and gradually goes mad trying to understand them. Or, potentially worse, you succeed. On the way there are cults to found, X-files types to avoid, and such sights to see.

Mechanically, it’s a plates-spinning simulator, where you drag cards into a variety of boxes with countdown timers to represent how your character juggles work, occult study and the business of founding and running a cult devoted to eldritch horrors that man should not wot of. It looks like this, and if you’re concluding that the only reason to play it is for the writing you’re probably right.

Most of the fun of the game is about learning the lore and putting the pieces together for yourself. That said, the UI is I think deliberately unintuitive so here are a few non-spoilery basics that I feel it could do a better job of explaining:
  • You have three stats; Reason, Passion and Health. Reason represents your general mental ability and sanity, Passion is your ability to persuade, intuit and be creative. Health is your overall physical fitness. YOUR FIRST PRIORITY IS TO IMPROVE THESE using them with the Study verb.
  • You also have funds (the gold coins), which you get more of by working. There are various ways to work and they are interestingly different; experiment with a few cards to see which fits your playstyle.
  • Every day you need funds to stay alive; also every day there is a random event. You can see the next random event by clicking on the day timer (the orange hourglass), which helps with planning.
  • The Dread mechanic is probably the most annoying reason to lose at the start. Every so often you will get a ‘restlessness’ card; if you can’t find anything to do with it within about a minute then it will turn into a Dread card. Get a Dread card together with the random event ‘despair’ and the card will stick around unless you can get rid of it with contentment. Get 3 Dread cards and you lose. The most reliable source of contentment is opium, which you can buy by putting a funds card in the ‘dream’ slot.
  • If you don’t know what card to put in a slot, click on it and all the cards you can put there will be highlighted. Same applies when you pick up a card; anywhere you can play it will get a highlight.

Have fun now, and careful what you read in case it reads you back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Loving this game, but even while I’m having fun the grind seems to eat hours of my time with me barely aware of it.

Cult management mechanic spoiler: it seems like a huge step forward for your cult is reliably being able to promote Believers to Disciples, since ability checks seem to just go 2->5->8/9/10? So two Believers doesn’t upgrade you to a better chance to succeed, one Disciple does, and two Disciples upgrades you to almost certain success. But being able to upgrade people—especially people of a different Lore focus than your cult is—is so dependent on the RNG to give you the right Lore scraps and/or Tools that it feels like I’m just going to end up grinding for ages to get the right stuff to start upgrading people and start reliably tackling expeditions.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Beefeater1980 posted:

You can see the next random event by clicking on the day timer (the orange hourglass), which helps with planning.

I ...did not even think to try that. That probably helps a lot lol.

Loving the game so far, it's really enthralling. Do find that, like with Sunless Sea, it's hard to put down and I need to be strict about taking breaks regularly or I start to skim the writing and that feels really wrong.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

I had two promising runs cut down by going from 0 dread to 3 dread really quickly.

It's funny how often restlessness will pop right after I did a work task which will take as long / longer than restlessness to resolve, so I can't use the paint skill to remove it.

Then a lot of times I have the following scenario happen:

I get a dread, I'm in the process of obtaining a contentment card, and about 5 seconds before I get the contentment card a magnetized spot (despair? shadows?) will appear and grab the dread. So now, I can't dream away the dread, and the contentment expires while I wait for the timer on the despair to start ticking. I really dislike the way this happens and it seems to happen a lot.

And then finally once you are fully in despair / dread stacking mode, if you get an RNG event that drops a dread or you get a poorly timed restlessness, it can go sideways really quickly.

Using opium is a good tip, I had avoided that based on the game warning it was super dangerous, but it seems like disease and injuries are a lot easier to deal with than despair and dread. I've found painting, in particular with the higher passion skill (vivid imagination etc) unlocks seems to work well as a secondary source of it. I tried dreaming with the health card but found that unreliable.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Yea if you see the DESPAIR timer pop up buy opium.

I've seen no side effects so far.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
You can get rid of Restlessness by Painting with one Passion and putting Restlessness into the Yearning slot that then appears, and if you ever end up with a Dread and a Contentment on the table at the same time you can Dream with both of them to clear them. Not trying to imply you specifically didn’t know that, just listing two things I discovered in case people want an extra hand getting rid of Restlessness or Dread.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Yeah, you can use paint to get rid of restlessness, but it has a 60 second timer, and most jobs are 55 seconds or more, which means that unless you had your work action idle or just about to finish, you often can't paint it away before it turns into dread.

And yeah, you can dream it away with contentment, the snag I ran into is that there's a random action that takes the dread card and temporarily ties it up for ~60-90 seconds, during which time contentment will expire, and then when despair starts ticking a contentment card was burned but didn't remove the dread counter.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I think you can use Dread to dream away Fascination too so it's not terrible to have one or two around

e. Your Contentment expiring while the Dread is locked up for a minute is a bummer and I think it's just something you're going to have to try to plan for. Being able to cancel some actions would be neat though, there's probably some downside or something though

Knorth fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 4, 2018

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Dread cancels Fascination the same way Contentment cancels Dread

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Pirate Radar posted:

Dread cancels Fascination the same way Contentment cancels Dread

That's a really good tip that you and knorth pointed out. I'm going to try that tonight.

One more contentment source: if you use health on exploring the city you can get the moonlit streets event. That card is good for 2 minutes but doesn't tick down while it's in the exploration slot being actively explored. So if you chain explore it you can have it hang around for a long time.

Seems to generate a contentment roughly every other exploration or so.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Also this feels like cheating but if you put a timed card into a box and just leave the box up while you let time go forward it won’t expire. Not sure if that’s intended.

Edit: and yeah, Streets Strange by Moonlight can help you find Contentment but I haven’t found it to be reliable enough. You can also of course randomly find Contentment by Dreaming on Ways but nothing about the Wood or the Mansus is reliable.

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi
How do I get a promotion at the reason job? After I get promoted to alden’s asst I mean

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Nightgull posted:

How do I get a promotion at the reason job? After I get promoted to alden’s asst I mean

There may be ways you can deal with Mr. Alden...

(Spoiler for how to do this): Find somebody—a minion or a hireling—with 5 Moth or 5 Edge (maybe other Lore types also work, idk) and put them into Talk. Then drop the job card into the Talk box with them. They’ll try to kill Alden, or drive him insane. Then the job just turns into a reliable work for 2 funds arrangement and expires in 90 seconds instead of 60 so you can do other stuff in between workdays.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Nightgull posted:

There are two ways that I know of, and maybe others.
  • Wait. Eventually, he will retire. I think it's a very low % chance event that is checked every time you turn up for work.
  • Use a follower on him (Talk - Follower - subject is your job card, which has the attribute 'annoyance'. So you can't be working at the time). If the follower has Edge they will try to kill him. If they have other attributes I think they can try to seduce him.

E: f;b

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Cultist Simulator more like Kill Your Boss Simulator

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

A tip for playing the police officer

It seems like you're meant to go Observe witness -> Get tentative evidence -> Get Damning Evidence -> Lock them up. When you do, you won't have a target for the job action anymore, and it doesn't seem like you get a new one. I didn't figure out how to get a new troublemaker to investigate.

What you can do though, is just keep observing the first person you get. You can keep gathering the tentative evidence over and over again, I never hit a limit, and you get 2-3 funds each time you do it, depending on how much reason you use.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I got gibbed by an investigator but (basic investigator mechanics) never generated notoriety because I was being boring early game and didn't see any cards popping into his magnet (although I wasn't looking closely).

Do I just need to watch closer?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ham Sandwiches posted:

A tip for playing the police officer

It seems like you're meant to go Observe witness -> Get tentative evidence -> Get Damning Evidence -> Lock them up. When you do, you won't have a target for the job action anymore, and it doesn't seem like you get a new one. I didn't figure out how to get a new troublemaker to investigate.

What you can do though, is just keep observing the first person you get. You can keep gathering the tentative evidence over and over again, I never hit a limit, and you get 2-3 funds each time you do it, depending on how much reason you use.

I discovered this and it's great

like, not mechanically ideal compared to other professions, but conceptually hilarious

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Pirate Radar posted:

There may be ways you can deal with Mr. Alden...

(Spoiler for how to do this): Find somebody—a minion or a hireling—with 5 Moth or 5 Edge (maybe other Lore types also work, idk) and put them into Talk. Then drop the job card into the Talk box with them. They’ll try to kill Alden, or drive him insane. Then the job just turns into a reliable work for 2 funds arrangement and expires in 90 seconds instead of 60 so you can do other stuff in between workdays.
something i read about the consequences for failure here: according to gossip, if you screw up the edge test, you lose your follower; if you screw up the moth path, you can keep them

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
You can probably also use Grail for it which would be nice because so far I have no loving idea what Grail is for

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Pirate Radar posted:

You can probably also use Grail for it which would be nice because so far I have no loving idea what Grail is for

I enjoy the concept of Grail and my currently running cult is grail-focused.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I enjoy the concept of Grail and my currently running cult is grail-focused.

Lol so is mine even though I don’t know what it does, but don’t ruin it for me, it’ll probably be fun to figure it out.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Working the 9-5 is for chumps, struggling painter daubing pictures of what he sees in dreams is where it's at (it's also a lot less stressful; just keep painting when you need money). The way the mechanics feel right in this game is unreal.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
History cult is pretty interesting. You don't use the history aspect for anything so you can be pretty flexible with things like upgrading cultists

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Knorth posted:

History cult

:pusheen:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Pirate Radar posted:

Lol so is mine even though I don’t know what it does, but don’t ruin it for me, it’ll probably be fun to figure it out.

I picked it because it sounded like the most "this will go wrong in hilarious ways" of the lores, which is saying something

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Pirate Radar posted:

Also this feels like cheating but if you put a timed card into a box and just leave the box up while you let time go forward it won’t expire. Not sure if that’s intended.

Edit: and yeah, Streets Strange by Moonlight can help you find Contentment but I haven’t found it to be reliable enough. You can also of course randomly find Contentment by Dreaming on Ways but nothing about the Wood or the Mansus is reliable.

It's intended because advanced painting explicitly warns you about that applying to any notoriety you use while painting.

Also summoned minions can be "Talked" to about literally any card (even though they only respond to a handful) so keeping a familiar around to preserve your Contentment, prevent an Illness from progressing, or provide Erudition during research is pretty dope.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
I really like how if you take notes about this game, it reads like the ravings of a lunatic.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I got gibbed by an investigator but (basic investigator mechanics) never generated notoriety because I was being boring early game and didn't see any cards popping into his magnet (although I wasn't looking closely).

Do I just need to watch closer?

There's an investigator trait - erratic, IIRC - that means that they often fail at converting Notoriety into Evidence, but will sometimes create Evidence out of nothing.

Tehan fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 4, 2018

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

TheBlandName posted:

It's intended because advanced painting explicitly warns you about that applying to any notoriety you use while painting.

Also summoned minions can be "Talked" to about literally any card (even though they only respond to a handful) so keeping a familiar around to preserve your Contentment, prevent an Illness from progressing, or provide Erudition during research is pretty dope.

Cool tip, I’ll remember that.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Midgame spoilers:

The game really opens up when you can reliably summon something that can dispose of evidence. I think the easiest way to get there is summoning the Caligine via the Sunset Rite.

Ingredients:
1) The Sunset Rite, acquired by buying 'STUMM!' from the Auction House and watching it with Funds.
2) Forge 6 from Lore
3) Winter 5 from a Winter-aligned Disciple
4) Knock 2 from A Subtle Flaw, can be dreamed up easily by going to the Temple of the Wheel via the Wood.

Since the Temple of the Wheel can only have Subtle Flaws, Furtive Truths, or Peculiar Rumours, it usually only takes you a few trips to get the Flaw, so once you've got the rest of the pieces you can have Caligines as needed.

Really basic but easy to miss Lore mechanic:

Two lore of the same level give you one of the next level up, but each lore can also use a piece of another lore of the same level to level up. It goes:

Lantern > Forge > Edge > Winter > Heart > Grail > Moth > Lantern

Knock can be combined with any Lore of the same level for the same effect.

Tehan fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 4, 2018

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I personally think non-esoteric paintings (i.e. those without a lore inspiration or weird pigments or whatever) shouldn't generate notoriety in and of themselves just because they're successful, I've had two characters get sent to Wizard Jail just for being a moderately-successful but totally mundane painters. In a world where the Surgeon origin exists, making a living painting shouldn't involve playing chicken with a freight train.

Game is otherwise very good, can't wait to see what kind of support it gets post-release. Having an ascension-ending for each lore type would be magnificent.

Pirate Radar posted:

Loving this game, but even while I’m having fun the grind seems to eat hours of my time with me barely aware of it.

Cult management mechanic spoiler: it seems like a huge step forward for your cult is reliably being able to promote Believers to Disciples, since ability checks seem to just go 2->5->8/9/10? So two Believers doesn’t upgrade you to a better chance to succeed, one Disciple does, and two Disciples upgrades you to almost certain success. But being able to upgrade people—especially people of a different Lore focus than your cult is—is so dependent on the RNG to give you the right Lore scraps and/or Tools that it feels like I’m just going to end up grinding for ages to get the right stuff to start upgrading people and start reliably tackling expeditions.

I might be misunderstanding you, but if not, big hint: You don't need your follower's lorescore to upgrade them, you use your own cult's score. As soon as you can whip out 7 Grail on demand you can upgrade everyone in a Grail cult to disciple regardless of their specialty, for ex.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jun 4, 2018

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I personally think non-esoteric paintings (i.e. those without a lore inspiration or weird pigments or whatever) shouldn't generate notoriety in and of themselves just because they're successful, I've had two characters get sent to Wizard Jail just for being a moderately-successful but totally mundane painters. In a world where the Surgeon origin exists, making a living painting shouldn't involve playing chicken with a freight train.

They don't, as long as you don't use Lore as inspiration and only buy pigments with Funds or not at all, you only get Mystique from paintings, not Notoriety. Mystique does get you a Hunter though, and if your Hunter is Erratic they can pull evidence out of their arse.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I might be misunderstanding you, but if not, big hint: You don't need your follower's lorescore to upgrade them, you use your own cult's score. As soon as you can whip out 7 Grail on demand you can upgrade everyone in a Grail cult to disciple regardless of their specialty, for ex.

I know, yeah, I just only have 4 Grail lore and haven’t gotten a Grail item yet. I keep Dreaming or going to the Club to see if I can get a Grail Influence but I’ve been out of luck so far. It’s that “being able to whip out 7 lore on demand” that’s the hurdle.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Pirate Radar posted:

I know, yeah, I just only have 4 Grail lore and haven’t gotten a Grail item yet. I keep Dreaming or going to the Club to see if I can get a Grail Influence but I’ve been out of luck so far. It’s that “being able to whip out 7 lore on demand” that’s the hurdle.

Restlessness has 3 grail

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Tehan posted:

Restlessness has 3 grail

gently caress

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Tehan posted:

They don't, as long as you don't use Lore as inspiration and only buy pigments with Funds or not at all, you only get Mystique from paintings, not Notoriety. Mystique does get you a Hunter though, and if your Hunter is Erratic they can pull evidence out of their arse.

Not my experience, if a painting is successful enough (I think it's like generating 5 funds or more) it generates 1 notoriety regardless of what you put into it, like even if you just used Passion and a mundane inspiration.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 4, 2018

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Can't say I've seen it myself, but then I've only seen 4 funds for a painting once, never 5. What's the secret to mad painting profitability?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

The physician is also real good for making money.

and if you need to kill someone, I have found nothing better than the maid-in-the-mirror. I got these 8 winter aspected manacles out of a vault and hoo boy did we send the dead forth to kill.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

Tehan posted:

Can't say I've seen it myself, but then I've only seen 4 funds for a painting once, never 5. What's the secret to mad painting profitability?

(I've done my best painting when sticking 2 Notoriety in with 2 passion. It's 2x as potent as mystique. IF you only have 2 and keep using it, it will never be around when the inspector want to pick it up.

FYI timers on cards don't move while they are involved with verbs. You can use this to keep Cards alive longer than you normally would.

If you have trouble getting rid of evidence:

You can time it out by keeping the inspector busy. If you paint mundane paintings using Mystique you can generate more Mystique. Every time the detective takes a Mystique, they will chew on it for a whole minute. Painting can easily generate more Mystique than you use.

Alternately, if you are trying to keep them from snatching a Notoriety by sticking it in paintings, you can simply not paint for awhile, letting the timer on the Notoriety tick away while the huntard is busy. When the investigation timer gets low, suck the Notoriety back up into painting while the shlub picks up another Mystique.

I call this move "Baffle 'em with bullshit."

Tenasscity fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jun 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

Another hot tip, concerning cool painting tricks. (mid game-ish)

Cool poo poo happens when you get the edge of your painting higher than 12 or 16. (Not sure what the cutoff is.) 4 passions will give you 8 moth. Then have the focus of the painting be a good level moth lore. Finally use that moth based pigment.

Let me know when you do this and how cool the result is.

Tenasscity fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jun 4, 2018