Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Nightgull posted:

Another way to get erudition:

Guaranteed from fulfilling commissions

Unfortunately not, you get glimmering sometimes instead. I usually wait to turn them all in (only 10 seconds each) for when I'm trying to fuse Lores together.

e: if you've unnecessarily burned all your reason recruiting followers you should probably just restart. You don't need anything in the trapping slot to induct them. You can throw nasty cards you want to get rid of in there though.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jun 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Honestly, this game is great. I have little notes scattered around my desk, all of them things like "hunter + talk = bad but hunter + edge = killy, make sure killy or suffer noteriety" or "Summon dead, rite + knock + winter + etc".

If anything I want a couple things.

Mystique spam - Jesus christ let me throw mystique into a box of this bullshit, like half my table is mystique.

Stop hiding cards under other cards! I think this is because the middle of my desk is entirely mystique though.

General tips:

Using a card hides it and pauses the timer. For example, if you paint using notoriety, it changes to "inspiration". They can no longer take the notoriety card. You can use this to force "things" to time out later on.

This applies to almost everything. Paint using a content as inspiration? It'll be exactly at the time it was when its finished, meaning you can keep a content in play almost forever. This is a general rule, a couple of cards act differently, you'll find out which.

Same with minions, any hired minions (or later fun goodies) stop timing out on expeditions or if you talk to them. Granted it means you can't talk to anyone else while you're talking poo poo with your professional killer, but eh.

For hints:

First hint:

Take your drat time! 90% of the "rng bullshit" in this game can be avoided if you stop trying to spin every plate at once.

Getting started:

Work health, then health again, you'll get two sets of vitality, study with them. This is pivotal to survival and should always be priority one.

Once you get your physique skill you can work using it and then study health at the same time. Doing both twice will let you study using your physical skill and granting a third health card. I've not seen a reason to continue yet.

Studying with reason and passion do the same thing. Get all your skills up to at least 2.

For starting your cult:

You don't have to start it straight away! You should study more books first and then just figure out what lore you want your cult to be about. I chose edge because i'm an idiot.

Once you start recruiting people, you can just recruit more by talking about lore. I actually grinded this out, turns out cultists and pawns are finite. I think you can get 8 pawns and around 30 cultists. The bottom of my table is a loving mess

For earning money:

Painting is loving OP. Once you get a vivid imagination you can start painting with mystique, which is pretty good and generates more than you use. Then you can use lots of things as an inspiration (don't use lore unless you want to generate notoriety). I like using content to keep it in play, but you can also paint a cultist, if you have nothing else available. I currently have something like 69 funds which means I can afford to take a long break from painting to chase my rites

You can also paint with notoriety, this breaks the game as not only is it exceedingly powerful, but hunters cannot grab notoriety if you're painting with it. If you have evidence sat there with 400s left, you can quite easily sit there and just paint with your notoriety until it times out. Then they grab a notoriety and create more level 1 evidence. What a loving shame, it'll time out again.

For expeditions:

When sending people out, hire people to be the leader and assistant. They will die first if you fail a challenge. This is fine, they're replaceable, your cultists are not. If you can't handle what the challenge is with your hires + additional cultists then whatever, let the expedition time out. Expeditions always have the same requirements so just note it down and send the right people next time.

Pay attention to the text when on an expedition and click on the challenges, they'll mention what you need to win. Watchers can be dealt with in a ton of ways but as i'm an edge cult, I just send my killers.

Funds are used to continue an expedition, if you run out its over, so if you've beaten 2 obstacles, none are left and it tells you to send a follower or funds, send funds. If it doesn't use them you get them back, if you don't send the funds you come back when at the final door which is super frustrating.

Hunters:

You can send a killer after a hunter or you can talk to them with dread. Dread will occasionally scare them off. Sometimes it makes them more determined. It's a risk but to be honest if it doesn't work you just get notoriety, which you're hiding via painting anyway, so whatever

E: Now someone tell me how to fulfill a commission because i have like 10% of my gamespace taken up with lore. Am i missing something?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

dogstile posted:

Honestly, this game is great. I have little notes scattered around my desk, all of them things like "hunter + talk = bad but hunter + edge = killy, make sure killy or suffer noteriety" or "Summon dead, rite + knock + winter + etc".

If anything I want a couple things.

Mystique spam - Jesus christ let me throw mystique into a box of this bullshit, like half my table is mystique.

Stop hiding cards under other cards! I think this is because the middle of my desk is entirely mystique though.

General tips:

Using a card hides it and pauses the timer. For example, if you paint using notoriety, it changes to "inspiration". They can no longer take the notoriety card. You can use this to force "things" to time out later on.

This applies to almost everything. Paint using a content as inspiration? It'll be exactly at the time it was when its finished, meaning you can keep a content in play almost forever. This is a general rule, a couple of cards act differently, you'll find out which.

Same with minions, any hired minions (or later fun goodies) stop timing out on expeditions or if you talk to them. Granted it means you can't talk to anyone else while you're talking poo poo with your professional killer, but eh.

For hints:

First hint:

Take your drat time! 90% of the "rng bullshit" in this game can be avoided if you stop trying to spin every plate at once.

Getting started:

Work health, then health again, you'll get two sets of vitality, study with them. This is pivotal to survival and should always be priority one.

Once you get your physique skill you can work using it and then study health at the same time. Doing both twice will let you study using your physical skill and granting a third health card. I've not seen a reason to continue yet.

Studying with reason and passion do the same thing. Get all your skills up to at least 2.

For starting your cult:

You don't have to start it straight away! You should study more books first and then just figure out what lore you want your cult to be about. I chose edge because i'm an idiot.

Once you start recruiting people, you can just recruit more by talking about lore. I actually grinded this out, turns out cultists and pawns are finite. I think you can get 8 pawns and around 30 cultists. The bottom of my table is a loving mess

For earning money:

Painting is loving OP. Once you get a vivid imagination you can start painting with mystique, which is pretty good and generates more than you use. Then you can use lots of things as an inspiration (don't use lore unless you want to generate notoriety). I like using content to keep it in play, but you can also paint a cultist, if you have nothing else available. I currently have something like 69 funds which means I can afford to take a long break from painting to chase my rites

You can also paint with notoriety, this breaks the game as not only is it exceedingly powerful, but hunters cannot grab notoriety if you're painting with it. If you have evidence sat there with 400s left, you can quite easily sit there and just paint with your notoriety until it times out. Then they grab a notoriety and create more level 1 evidence. What a loving shame, it'll time out again.

For expeditions:

When sending people out, hire people to be the leader and assistant. They will die first if you fail a challenge. This is fine, they're replaceable, your cultists are not. If you can't handle what the challenge is with your hires + additional cultists then whatever, let the expedition time out. Expeditions always have the same requirements so just note it down and send the right people next time.

Pay attention to the text when on an expedition and click on the challenges, they'll mention what you need to win. Watchers can be dealt with in a ton of ways but as i'm an edge cult, I just send my killers.

Funds are used to continue an expedition, if you run out its over, so if you've beaten 2 obstacles, none are left and it tells you to send a follower or funds, send funds. If it doesn't use them you get them back, if you don't send the funds you come back when at the final door which is super frustrating.

Hunters:

You can send a killer after a hunter or you can talk to them with dread. Dread will occasionally scare them off. Sometimes it makes them more determined. It's a risk but to be honest if it doesn't work you just get notoriety, which you're hiding via painting anyway, so whatever

E: Now someone tell me how to fulfill a commission because i have like 10% of my gamespace taken up with lore. Am i missing something?

Work the comission with the matching piece of lore (click the comission it will tell you a specific level)

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The important bit is to know that only imagination has any real use as a skill. Scholarship is only a vehicle yo get more reason and the books will give you plenty for 2 erudition. Health has some weird use with health jobs but is useless by itself. Once you hit 2ild imagination (6 glimmering) it stops upgrading, that's the maximum level, then it's just a repeatable 8 glimmering for more passion.

Another trick is to look at your ascension path. Once you become a Know fulfilling aspects of your hunger rewards Base stats. I know the grail path gives passion and it stacks infinitely if you keep feeding it.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
just to be clear, random pissant hirelings like the bomb maker aren't the same as pawns, right?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Soup du Journey posted:

just to be clear, random pissant hirelings like the bomb maker aren't the same as pawns, right?

In what way? I need more context to answer this question.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Soup du Journey posted:

Hirelings are disposable expedition fodder, anything you want to use one for feel free, since theres always another to be found.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yes, hirelings re-spawn.

Rip the 4 pawns I lost before that.

Well, I lost 3.

I sacrificed 1.

:shrug:

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
Can anyone confirm how to make special paintings? I know you can do it with lore 6 + relevant pigment + four passion, but I don't know if you can do it with less passion, with reputation, with less lore etc?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

ZeusJupitar posted:

Can anyone confirm how to make special paintings? I know you can do it with lore 6 + relevant pigment + four passion, but I don't know if you can do it with less passion, with reputation, with less lore etc?

It's all about the influences, any 12 or 16 influence will create a painting. Moth is easiest since passion already provides it but you can use a high level lore ad inspiration + appropriate pigment to make any type

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi
What do special paintings do?

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Nightgull posted:

What do special paintings do?

They're ritual instruments/promotion trappings.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

They count as a tool and can be used as a consumable, they have very high Base influences of their type.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Is there a temptation associated with knock? And if there is, how do I transform it into it?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Is there a temptation associated with knock? And if there is, how do I transform it into it?

From everything i've read, i think knock is basically useless. You only need 2 knock to get "knock" things done. I think they need to expand on it more.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Probably shouldn't have founded a knock cult then.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Knock is essential for summoning

Uh unless you only need 2

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

lets hang out posted:

Knock is essential for summoning

Yeah, but you only ever seem to need 2 knock. Everything else you need significantly more of.

I might be missing "something" but from what I can see, everything i've summoned just needs 2.

E: Goddammit mark your edits now it looks like i'm crazy.

E2: Wait shi-

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I could swear I’ve seen stuff that says “you will need a very substantial amount of Knock” when doing Rites

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
so should i be upgrading my lores whenever i get a chance? say i have two watchman's secrets, is there any reason for me to hold on to them, or should i just straight up glue them together into a higher lantern lore?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Soup du Journey posted:

so should i be upgrading my lores whenever i get a chance? say i have two watchman's secrets, is there any reason for me to hold on to them, or should i just straight up glue them together into a higher lantern lore?

You use them for commissions.

Unormal posted:

Work the comission with the matching piece of lore (click the comission it will tell you a specific level)

Keeping a bunch of low level lore might be a good idea because its pretty trivial to upgrade.

If you need it to make people into disciples though, go do that. Disciples win expeditions, if you know you're going to need edge to kill your way through something, 2 disciples will 100% win that challenge.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Knock cultists are good for like, opening warded/hidden doors and thats it. You'd only need them if you don't have any forge/lantern guys laying around who can that and help with terrain and curses. Kinda sucks.

Do they do something interesting if you talk about the cult with them?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Don't commissions just ask for "at least _____ rank" and not require a specific one?

Either way you probably don't want to go past rank 6 until you do the stag riddle, if what everyone says about it is true. I wouldn't know because I still haven't ever had the solution!

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

or a fucking nazi

Demiurge4 posted:

They count as a tool and can be used as a consumable, they have very high Base influences of their type.

Oooh, that’s exactly what I need. I also just got the a fevered imagination, and am finally able to make disciples, summoned a weird as hell raw prophet. Really feel like I’m gerting into the meat of the game, now to try and figure out these paintings without reading spoilers.

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

or a fucking nazi

Caidin posted:

Knock cultists are good for like, opening warded/hidden doors and thats it. You'd only need them if you don't have any forge/lantern guys laying around who can that and help with terrain and curses. Kinda sucks.

Do they do something interesting if you talk about the cult with them?

Steal poo poo.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Wilko posted:

I made a small mod over the weekend which snaps everything to a grid if you want to check it out. It's not perfect, but it's helpful to keep everything organized quicker.
https://github.com/JamesWilko/UnityHook/releases/tag/1.0
Extract it to your game's steam folder and override files

Just a heads up, this may have corrupted my save (didn't verify that the save loaded correctly before trying it out). Attempting to use this mod just gets me stuck on this screen when I try to play:

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

This game has become an obsession for me over the past week, appropriately enough.

Without being too direct, can someone give me a hint about what use my headquarters are, and if it can be upgraded? I'm a Know and am currently ascending, but my HQ has just kind of sat there doing nothing all game.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

you can rehire people by talking to them with funds fuuuuuuck

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Headquarters haven't been expanded yet, the one you have is the only one you can get. I'll let you figure out the use.

I'm giving you a direct answer because this frustrated me for like an hour. Do not try to figure out how to upgrade the headquarters. It is not a puzzle.

On another note, i'm having a loving hilarious time reading through reddit/reviews for this game and seeing people rage about "loving rng" when this game is probably one of the least likely to gently caress you via RNG that i've ever played. Maybe roguelikes have broken me.

Wilko
Dec 3, 2013

:toot:

prolecat posted:

Just a heads up, this may have corrupted my save (didn't verify that the save loaded correctly before trying it out). Attempting to use this mod just gets me stuck on this screen when I try to play:

Aw drat, sorry if this is what caused it. :( Are you able to purge your save and start a new one fine?

lets hang out posted:

you can rehire people by talking to them with funds fuuuuuuck

goddamnit this would've been good to know last night

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Wilko posted:

Aw drat, sorry if this is what caused it. :( Are you able to purge your save and start a new one fine?

No worries, didn't have a ton of progress to lose. With the mod installed, starting a new save gives me that same screen, going to see what happens when I remove the mod after work. I'd be very surprised if that doesn't get things working again.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Aaaaaahahahahaa started a new run and my first expedition gave me a Tool that matched my cult aspect. Now I can upgrade everyone. Feels so good.

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

or a fucking nazi
I got you Hobson, you erratic piece of poo poo. Didn’t like that tea very much did you???

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

gently caress i have like 8 rites right now. I have one that uses a tool, assistant and an influence so it's lore - knock cultist - whatever influence for what I want to summon.

I summoned a hint. This thing is crazy good.

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

or a fucking nazi
For the rites that require a human sacrifice, where do you get expendables? Do y’all use random faceless pawns or hirelings?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pirate Radar posted:

Dread cancels Fascination the same way Contentment cancels Dread

Oh man, if only I knew that earlier.

I only way I managed to die so far is from having no money and having too much Fascination.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Nightgull posted:

For the rites that require a human sacrifice, where do you get expendables? Do y’all use random faceless pawns or hirelings?

I was using pawns but i've been told you can use hirelings which are super, super cheap, so i'm going to use those.

E: Can you imprison hunters?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I just dealt with Mr. Alden by sending a Grail minion. Cultist Simulator more like gently caress My Boss Simulator

dogstile posted:

I was using pawns but i've been told you can use hirelings which are super, super cheap, so i'm going to use those.

E: Can you imprison hunters?

I think there’s a random chance that you can when you send an Edge follower or hireling against them.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
So I had something happen. I had 6 disciplines and 2 pawns the the hunter still made a trial and I got the improsonment ending. Can't you stick your minions into trouble, or do you have to do that manually?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Ataxerxes posted:

So I had something happen. I had 6 disciplines and 2 pawns the the hunter still made a trial and I got the improsonment ending. Can't you stick your minions into trouble, or do you have to do that manually?

I think it's either random whether you or a minion gets targeted, or you only get to send a minion to jail in your place once.

Not sure which, I've been careful about disposing of evidence since my last prison loss.