Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Tellaris posted:

The last position is unrelated to the Passion. If you look at the job card you will notice it has the "annoyance" tag, which means you can "solve" the problem with a nice helping of edge cultist, then take your rightful place in the company.

Ah cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Maybe that Sun achievement is related to that ritual, and you get it if it randomly targets you?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Won without even setting foot into the last two tiers of expeditions as soon as I got the 6 slot rite that burns everything in it. Thanks for contributing KING CRUCIBLE. :rock:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Infinity Gaia posted:

Maybe that Sun achievement is related to that ritual, and you get it if it randomly targets you?

Oh, maybe. According to Steam, though, nobody has it.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I think I need some more advice.

I managed to upgrade my lore (I'm knock cult) to the point where I now have some disciples. I'm now facing the fact that neither the auction house or bookseller have anything except that nonsense book. As a result I really can't gain lore.

What are my options here? I've tried doing expeditions but they seem to require skills I've never seen on a follower yet (heart/winter, for example) and most of my cultists only have one skill each.

So I'm faced with the fact that I can't gain lore and expeditions are questionable. I ended up getting a fifth eye curse on one because I didn't have the heart/winter person. I have no idea what this curse does but it ate one passion so far.

How do I get followers with multiple attributes and how do I increase lore without books?

One more question! I found and entered the spider door but I can't figure out how to get to the peacock one. The spider door is problematic as it needs a prisoner each time I enter and I don't know how to reliably get them. How do I find the peacock door? I'm pursuing enlightenment if that makes a difference.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Vasler posted:

The spider door is problematic as it needs a prisoner each time I enter and I don't know how to reliably get them

a follower with grail aspect can be pretty adept at leading people to their doom

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

prolecat posted:

No worries, didn't have a ton of progress to lose. With the mod installed, starting a new save gives me that same screen, going to see what happens when I remove the mod after work. I'd be very surprised if that doesn't get things working again.

Lol, I wish I read this post before installing it because I have the same issue. Is there an easy way to pick out the files to remove?

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Evil Agita posted:

Lol, I wish I read this post before installing it because I have the same issue. Is there an easy way to pick out the files to remove?

I ended up just deleting the game folder in steam and verifying files to redownload. Worked fine after that, though the save was lost.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Vasler posted:

I think I need some more advice.

I managed to upgrade my lore (I'm knock cult) to the point where I now have some disciples. I'm now facing the fact that neither the auction house or bookseller have anything except that nonsense book. As a result I really can't gain lore.

What are my options here? I've tried doing expeditions but they seem to require skills I've never seen on a follower yet (heart/winter, for example) and most of my cultists only have one skill each.

So I'm faced with the fact that I can't gain lore and expeditions are questionable. I ended up getting a fifth eye curse on one because I didn't have the heart/winter person. I have no idea what this curse does but it ate one passion so far.

How do I get followers with multiple attributes and how do I increase lore without books?

One more question! I found and entered the spider door but I can't figure out how to get to the peacock one. The spider door is problematic as it needs a prisoner each time I enter and I don't know how to reliably get them. How do I find the peacock door? I'm pursuing enlightenment if that makes a difference.

Answer A: summons. Answer B: you literally can't increase lore without books. So you need to learn how to do expeditions. You can use hirelings (from exploring with health or minions) or easily summoned minions to scout out locations before you send in a real party, but if the only obstacle is a single curse you'll just trip it and get the loot when you try that.

And unless there's some generic books at the very end of the expedition loot pools, there's a finite amount of (non-history) lore in every playthrough. More than enough to let you do everything even if you feed a bunch into Knock research, never enough to use The Rite of the Watchman's Sorrow.

Spider door:
Best renewable way to get prisoners for a Knock cult is to send your minions Exploring (not an expedition, just the verb) until you get a hireling. If the hireling has 5 Edge or 5 Moth start Talking to them about your cult. If they don't have those aspects you still want to hire them, but then you Talk to your Headquarters about the hireling. Presto-chango prisoners. Note that for most cults this directly competes with expeditions to get more lore, so it's not really a door to spam all the time the way the Stag Door, White Door, and Wood were.

Peacock door:
Ignoring how to find it for now, you need ~a certain something~ from expeditions to enter it. It has nothing for you right now, but IS a goal for later.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Pirate Radar posted:

I wouldn’t be surprised if that ritual simply does exactly what it says and just kills someone random for no benefit to you (unless you get insanely lucky and it’s the investigator)

Semi-related, does anyone know what happens if you defeat all the named Investigators? I killed Wakefield and got the Weary Detective, who’s been quite pleasantly manageable so far so I’ve left him alone and focused on Moth-ing away his evidence when he gets it. If it’s something interesting then just say that, you don’t have to tell me.

Alexis Kennedy likes having game mechanics that say up front that they'll screw you for no benefit and mean what they say. It's something of a trademark of his.

AFAIK Weary Detective is your reward for defeating all of the named investigators. He's very weak and often won't produce evidence at all. It seems that you can get him randomly as well however.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Finally won my first victory, forge. Next i think I'll do grail and see how high it's possible to stack lores. I won with a forge 12 lore and another two pieces to hit 36 but I wanna see if I can go above 45.

The last gate is the victory condition but so far I haven't gotten a lot out of the peacock and spider doors. Peacock is especially expensive to get through considering the many drops of dread and fascination in there.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I think the absolute highest you can get via Rite Intercalate would be 63. That's assuming max-level everything.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Finally got a win. Never got the Intercalate Rite, but I maxed out Grail lore by subverting Heart, got An Imperative of Appetite from the Spider Door, and summoned Ezeem for a total of 36.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

only took fifteen hours

handy trick: did you know there is someone you can summon with the help of Secret Histories?

managed it on a basic three-element rite with their help, and something from beyond the deepest gate

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So what do you guys think is the most useful cult business to send people on? Trying to settle on a cult type for my next run.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Soup du Journey posted:

So what do you guys think is the most useful cult business to send people on? Trying to settle on a cult type for my next run.

That depends entirely on which desire path you're running. Grail or Edge will give you an endless supply of prisoners, which helps get you through the Spider door and helps with the Illumination path. Edge exalts also help a lot in expeditions, since most of them will have things that need stabbing.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Kaethela posted:

That depends entirely on which desire path you're running. Grail or Edge will give you an endless supply of prisoners, which helps get you through the Spider door and helps with the Illumination path. Edge exalts also help a lot in expeditions, since most of them will have things that need stabbing.
I suppose this might also be mediated by fail states. Does failure on Grail or Edge cult business result in the loss of the cultist?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Soup du Journey posted:

I suppose this might also be mediated by fail states. Does failure on Grail or Edge cult business result in the loss of the cultist?

It can, yes. If you send an Exalt out to do cult business the chances of failure and loss of the cultist are greatly reduced. Heart cultists are incredibly useful for removing notoriety, and failing that one does not lose you the cultist.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Kaethela posted:

It can, yes. If you send an Exalt out to do cult business the chances of failure and loss of the cultist are greatly reduced. Heart cultists are incredibly useful for removing notoriety, and failing that one does not lose you the cultist.

Can you actually fail as an exalt? On generic cult business, I mean. I've been poking around on the steam forums, and somebody threw out 30%/70%/100% as the odds for the three different cult ranks. That might have been for a pre-release version, though.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Soup du Journey posted:

Can you actually fail as an exalt? On generic cult business, I mean. I've been poking around on the steam forums, and somebody threw out 30%/70%/100% as the odds for the three different cult ranks. That might have been for a pre-release version, though.

I've personally never failed with Exalt business, but someone else said they lost two Moth exalts:

frest posted:

So I lost 2 Skintwisters attempting to destroy evidence back-to-back. I have one left, and am guarding her very jealously, but am I correct that "that's all I'm gonna get?"

Though that's not explicitly cult business, so the chances may be different for that. I've never lost an Exalt by putting them into the Talk verb and putting my cult card in, for what that's worth.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
How do I fulfil Comissions? I think I have the appropriate Lore but the box is asking for an Article

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Fat Samurai posted:

How do I fulfil Comissions? I think I have the appropriate Lore but the box is asking for an Article

Try putting the Commission card into other boxes.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Pirate Radar posted:

Try putting the Commission card into other boxes.

In hindsight, that was logical. Thanks!

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Kaethela posted:

I've personally never failed with Exalt business, but someone else said they lost two Moth exalts:

Though that's not explicitly cult business, so the chances may be different for that. I've never lost an Exalt by putting them into the Talk verb and putting my cult card in, for what that's worth.
Okay, interesting.

Another question (did I ask this already? are moths from outside reality eating my loving memories again?): should I be keeping one of each lore level, or is my goal to climb the ladder with as high as I can? IE, is there any use for A Watchman's Secret (Lantern 2) in particular, or is it strictly better to have A Mansus-Glimpse (Lantern 4), which in turn is made obsolete by An Unmerciful Mantra (Lantern 6)?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Soup du Journey posted:

Okay, interesting.

Another question (did I ask this already? are moths from outside reality eating my loving memories again?): should I be keeping one of each lore level, or is my goal to climb the ladder with as high as I can? IE, is there any use for A Watchman's Secret (Lantern 2) in particular, or is it strictly better to have A Mansus-Glimpse (Lantern 4), which in turn is made obsolete by An Unmerciful Mantra (Lantern 6)?

You can break higher level lore into lower level by shoving it into Study along with a Reason. You'll get 2x lore of one tier lower than you put in. The only reason to hang on to a specific lore level is when you're trying to breach the Stag door for the first time, as that requires level 6. Once that's done, you should be trying to get as high level lore as possible for each category.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

When I finished my last game I had two level 12 lores and I could mash them together to upgrade still, what is the max level of lore? I'm tempted to try and just brute force knock as high as I can to see if I can get through the trepisoid gate that way.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Soup du Journey posted:

Exalt cult business has a line that says "100% success chance means this should never be visible." You can see it by clicking the left arrow in the story box when they're on the second step of the task. So talking to a 10-aspect cult member about your cult should never fail.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Demiurge4 posted:

When I finished my last game I had two level 12 lores and I could mash them together to upgrade still, what is the max level of lore? I'm tempted to try and just brute force knock as high as I can to see if I can get through the trepisoid gate that way.

14 is the max

Actually you know I just say that because it makes a complete ring on the card, I don't actually know for sure that you can't go higher

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 6, 2018

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It would be extremely in character if a knock cult could just brute force the last gate and steal immortality.

For my next run I'm going to try and find some secret history 14 to see what kind of crazy poo poo goes on out there.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Threads more redacted than an scp document and its great

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
How do you arrange your board late game. I can put everything in neat areas so I can easily see what I need for the tasks. But the problem is when I collect from a task and new cards mess up the order of my things. Or timer boxes like dread etc. show up. I just lost my current doctor run to that, a dread appeared on the corner of the table I hadn't noticed till it ended my game.

Also what is the use of prisoners and corpses. I assume for rites, the tool-tip for winter lore even indicates it can be used to raise corpses in a ritual, but I hadn't found the combination.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Well, I’m going to take a break after this last run. I had a great cult going, tons of cash, everyone a disciple, and the weary detective. Both Mr Alden and the younger Glover were found mysteriously dead in front of cracked mirrors, and I had just made it to the Board.

...and the loving Bureau of suppression got me. I messed up the timing and my smoky friend was still trying to destroy the damning evidence when it was snatched away, and they went straight to me, ignoring all my cultists and hangers-on.

I’m going to take a break. Can’t bear the thought of grinding through all Morland’s books again :(

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Board arrangement, when collecting all everything goes to the middle, so I move everything away from the middle. All the tiles across the top, except for talk on the left and explore on the right.

My cult is on the bottom, arranged by aspect (originally did it by colour but they don't match, which annoys me).

Secrets is bottom left, lowest secret at bottom, highest on the top.

Rites above secrets.

Skills under the work tile.

Attributes and funds under skills.

Places to explore on the right under the explore tile.

Hunter bottom right.

Middle is full of poo poo that's generated all the time, so mystique, notoriety, dread etc. I occasionally just pick up and drop these cards because the game has an annoying glitch where it'll hide cards perfectly if you hit collect all.

Marenghi posted:

Also what is the use of prisoners and corpses. I assume for rites, the tool-tip for winter lore even indicates it can be used to raise corpses in a ritual, but I hadn't found the combination.

You're right, its for rites. Prisoners are consumed late game for a *thing* and some rites require prisoners or corpses.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
Just lost a few hours of progress on a game because the save function completely stopped working, anyone else run into something like this?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Look, I wouldn’t have had to murder those monks if they hadn’t been standing between me and, uh... some books I can’t read and a small jar of weird paint.

Perpetual
Sep 7, 2007

Marenghi posted:

How do you arrange your board late game. I can put everything in neat areas so I can easily see what I need for the tasks. But the problem is when I collect from a task and new cards mess up the order of my things. Or timer boxes like dread etc. show up. I just lost my current doctor run to that, a dread appeared on the corner of the table I hadn't noticed till it ended my game.

Funny you should ask that, I just got a moment to breathe in my current game and took a glamour shot -

Basically, nice big empty space in the middle, action tiles around that with as much space as I can spare around them, then place all permanent stuff around the edges. Also no stacking attribute cards because they don't re-stack when exhausted and it's actually way easier to read how much you have at a glance this way without zooming in.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

lets hang out posted:

14 is the max

Actually you know I just say that because it makes a complete ring on the card, I don't actually know for sure that you can't go higher

Once you have a complete ring, the second slot will only accept Reason to break it down to a lower level.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Bought this last night and lost 4 times in a row from random things, but it's fun having no idea what you're doing and trying to start a cult.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AopWqv-eQFM

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Beefeater1980 posted:

Well, I’m going to take a break after this last run. I had a great cult going, tons of cash, everyone a disciple, and the weary detective. Both Mr Alden and the younger Glover were found mysteriously dead in front of cracked mirrors, and I had just made it to the Board.

...and the loving Bureau of suppression got me. I messed up the timing and my smoky friend was still trying to destroy the damning evidence when it was snatched away, and they went straight to me, ignoring all my cultists and hangers-on.

I’m going to take a break. Can’t bear the thought of grinding through all Morland’s books again :(

This game can take days to reach a conclusion and wiping out because of a unfortunate chain of random events sucks. The option menu has a button that takes you directly to the games folder complete with your save file hanging out there, which I think is an admission that maybe you should keep a back up of that somewhere for total bullshit insurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Perpetual posted:

Funny you should ask that, I just got a moment to breathe in my current game and took a glamour shot -

Basically, nice big empty space in the middle, action tiles around that with as much space as I can spare around them, then place all permanent stuff around the edges. Also no stacking attribute cards because they don't re-stack when exhausted and it's actually way easier to read how much you have at a glance this way without zooming in.

Separating out the stats is clever. Exhausted stats not stacking was one source of messing up my board. I didn't realise collect all moves new cards into the centre.

Gonna try out a new layout see how more manageable the late game is using those facts.