Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
real badass companies use Microsoft Communicator 2007 R2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

George posted:

telegram

i'm not using chatrooms for terrorists, tyvm

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
no your using chatrooms for cops

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

George posted:

no your using chatrooms for cops

that's what they said
:rimshot:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Teams would be better if it weren't based on electron and therefore slow as poo poo

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

eschaton posted:

slack is insanely stupid

just use IRC or Jabber you little millennial shits

irc and jabber are unusable on mobile devices. slack is unusable on desktop.

google hangouts chat is mediocre on both.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

I set up a mastodon for my department at work

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

I’m getting by

still enjoying my budget keyb with reds, kinesis freestyle edge is on my wishlist

looking into buying a condo soon. I’m out of my depth

I just got a kinesis freestyle, it is pretty bad. it’s possible the edge is better, but I doubt it - just get the ergodox

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The Management posted:

irc and jabber are unusable on mobile devices. slack is unusable on desktop.

google hangouts chat is mediocre on both.

slack works fine on desktops idiot

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i seriously dont understand why people actively _hate_ slack.
Are you sure yall dont hate chatops and you're just flailing at the shiniest manifestation?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

George posted:

why not use something other than slack

like you don't even have to use irc it could be literally anything else

facemail

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Jonny 290 posted:

i seriously dont understand why people actively _hate_ slack.
Are you sure yall dont hate chatops and you're just flailing at the shiniest manifestation?

i tried using it and its a complete mess but telegram made instant sense go figure

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

akadajet posted:

i love slack. it works great.

ya

The Management posted:

slack is unusable on desktop.

:raise:

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

we had hipchat and then a rogue group decided to do slack instead so now i have both

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
i like to "slack" off

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

my bitter bi rival posted:

a co worker told me on friday that him and his wife have a two person free tier slack setup for all of their private convos and i still have not recovered.

my gf and I do this, and I also have another one with just 2 other friends.

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

there are like 3 of these posts a week on imgur

https://imgur.com/gallery/oG2S0V5

how does your life go so loving wrong

lmao

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

well, atleast they vacuum

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
roomba

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i just remembered this tweet https://twitter.com/arielle07/status/661969290661359616?lang=en

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I mean slack is OK I guess but it smacks of trying too hard and using electron is a capital offense

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

there but the grace of god go i lmao

freeasinbeer posted:

my gf and I do this, and I also have another one with just 2 other friends.

hosed up if true

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

imagine what happens when the show gets cancelled

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
You might say Slack

's lacking!

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

gently caress all 4 of those things

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

i like to "slack" off

I'm slackin it right now!!!

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

George posted:

telegram

this. telegram has a native desktop app. slash thread everyone move alo

what no these aren't tears i'm not crying it's just trotsky in here

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

not sure what you’re getting at here Kevin

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Silver Alicorn posted:

not sure what you’re getting at here Kevin

just something in my eye :☭)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

This person's entire life has led up to taking this photo

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
It must feel good to have a purpose in life.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

PyPy posted:

It must feel good to have a purpose in life.

#occupymemory

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
slack stumbled dick-first into a billion dollar company and still has no idea about how to build client apps

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

This person's entire life has led up to taking this photo

if you look through that album you realize their gaming dungeon is also the kids' playroom. it must be torture to see all those loving toys tacked up on the wall that you know you're never going to be allowed to open up and play with

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Sagebrush posted:

if you look through that album you realize their gaming dungeon is also the kids' playroom. it must be torture to see all those loving toys tacked up on the wall that you know you're never going to be allowed to open up and play with

Can you imagine growing up and your dorky dad explaining "these are daddy's valuable collectables, never take them down or open the box" and all your life you just assume thats true and that your dad has a bunch of really valuable things and then you walk by a comics shop and realize (probably with a camera panning around your stunned face) that actually your dad is a huge dork

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

slack I think is a symptom of the current paradigm shift of internet culture. back when IRC was more popular, big corporations didn’t have much of an understanding of the value of internet, and the market wasn’t really there yet, so a lot of end user software was made by hobbyists or university students.

now that there’s a lot more money trying to be the next google, you have startups that can dump a lot more resources on making a full featured product quickly. but they’re not as concerned with the end user experience, they’re more about making the software appeal to capital. so slack has a fairly corporate design approach and is sort of toxic to hobbyist and casual communities

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Jimmy Carter posted:

slack stumbled dick-first into a billion dollar company and still has no idea about how to build client apps

imagine you sit down to have dinner at a restaurant with your family. the server comes over and gives you all breakfast menus even though it's 6PM. you all flip over the menu and look it up and down a few times, only seeing breakfast. a simple mistake. the server comes over to collect the menus--but just then the tiny bell held above the door by shoestring rings, and inward begin to pile frantic fragments of humanity. one arm and one leg belong to a journalist, because the Canon camera and sling have them tied up quite nicely. a flower dress amongst them suggest a grandmother but it's soon clear from the movement that no hip replacement is involved and it's an ironic millennial wearing dumb garbage. like a scene from Spirited Away, the restaurant springs to life. someone yells "take a selfie of me in front of the all-night breakfast place!". this wasn't meant to be a place for breakfast-seeking hooligans. but market demands spoke loudly. the server withdraws his hand. his life is breakfast now. you nod and leave with your family. as you curb stomp your children in super smash bros XI, letting the self-driving car self-drive itself home, you have time to think to yourself. when you were a kid, Reese's for breakfast was a _game changer_. will you stand in the way of progress? the next night you return to the restaurant. as expected, they are still honouring their mistakenly put-out breakfast menus, with Pill Gangs now feuding over seats or defecating in newspaper boxes half a block up. "table for 5" you say, and after the server sweeps some broken glass off an enviable booth table, you're reading to take on the future. breakfast, in the wrong place, at the wrong time. the next gunshot your hear tugs you awake. how many shots was that? are those Cop Drone rounds or Illegal Shots? it doesn't matter, you think, even as a Cop Drone careens into a building across the street and spills fire and smoke over the whole block like a bowl of spaghetti and pasta sauce just jumped off a super-sonic merry-go-round. "raspberries" says your wife. "french toast and raspberries". they don't fear death. they want raspberries. and come hell or high water, your family will have raspberries, with some left over for the self-driving car to munch on too. you clench your fist with cocksure determination. but as you slowly unclench your fist, the gravity of the situation rains down. sticky. your hands are sticky. there is syrup everywhere. holy poo poo. ew. no no no.

that's kinda like javascript.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

all sticky syrup as you sit upwards. everything is covered in a thin orange glaze. your rear end is glued to this horrible machine. and the machine is bleeding to death.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax
It works really well for the nonprofit I do tech for OP. People generally cant figure out email and Slack is perfect for them

• Locked thread