Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Official Website
Release Date: 2019 (maybe)
:siren:Backer Beta: July 4th:siren:

Camelot Unchained is a spiritual successor to Dark Age of Camelot, an old school MMORPG where Realm vs Realm (large group pvp) is the primary content. Several people who worked on DAoC also work on this game, including lead designer Mark Jacobs. This game is still alive because Jacobs secured another round of funding early this year from some investor group in new york.

Unlike DAoC, which had a significant pve element alongside rvr, this game will be much more rvr oriented. You progression is dependent on your realm's ability to take and hold regions, which are divided in a circle with a big important city in the middle.

Like DAoC, there will be three realms, each with their own set of unique races and similar classes. The Arthurians are going to be the most popular realm because they're albions, it's the realm of king aruthur and the unspoken good guys who wear plate armor, they will zerg you to death. The Vikings are midgard and every goon has a rock-hard throbbing erection for them, which means most goons will play that realm until a few months later when they can't prove to stop the alb zerg without pre-nerf zerkers. Tuatha Dé Danann are hibernians, they're the realm albs and mids have their wars in because it's just easier to find fights there and they'll team up with mids to at least try and stop the alb zerg.

In addition, players will get the chance to build structures using a voxel-like system. It's not the voxels from Everquest Landmark so that's a plus, but it also makes things look kinda samey in their blocky appearance. It looks like you can use them to build your own house or guild hall, but also for fortresses in rvr.

Crafters are supposed to be a bigger deal, as in you need them to exploit resources, build poo poo, and equip players with the good poo poo. It's expected that you bring crafters into the line of battle.

This game is lacking in recent gameplay clips, here's hoping we get something interesting out of the backer beta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Been looking forward to this for a long time, but waiting to put down money until beta people say if it's good or bad.

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

Reading this http://camelotunchained.com/v3/beta-1/ Overview of Beta 1 Features here and oh boy:

quote:

Plots have a building height limit. As we’ve discussed ad nauseam, this is to help slow down the prevalence of "certain types of towers," as well as to test the building block limit system, which is part of our Builder and Realm Rewards progression system. This should be pushed to the *** *** ***. While it isn’t enough to prevent abuse/griefing of the building system, of course, it’s a start. In the LIVE game, we will have other mechanics, including the Terms of Service, which will help to discourage the building of such towers and other kinds of intra-Realm griefing.

We don’t want players claiming, building, abandoning, and filling the world up with structures just to be griefers, especially if they are focused on “time to penis” (which we know some of them will), as per above.

Strotski fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 5, 2018

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
I'm a beta 1 guy and they've been letting us in the alpha/IT tests every now and then and I have to say they've made a lot of progress at least on the engine. It's pretty.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I have been waiting for this because I enjoy seeing crazy ideas in games and mmo failures.

Orv
May 4, 2011
There's an increasingly decent chance it won't be the 4th, but other than that I currently have no thoughts on this not game.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Orv posted:

There's an increasingly decent chance it won't be the 4th, but other than that I currently have no thoughts on this not game.
I'd be up for waiting and seeing.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Griefing and dick jokes? Sounds like a pretty goony game.

UNCUT PHILISTINE
Jul 27, 2006

DAoC was my last enjoyable MMO experience so I'm tentatively excited about this. Not dropping a dime on it yet though

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Am I missing out on anything based if I didn't back this thru KS but get a package on their website instead?

Orv
May 4, 2011
When it goes into 'beta' they'll be doing the whole lower value package thing. What gets you three months right now will get you one or two, etc. That's pretty much the same for Kickstarter packages vs website ones as well, it's basically just less value per dollar.

Whether any of us are going to get any value out of it at all is of course the real question.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
A man looked at the usual trajectory of a pvp only game and thought 'why don't I do this but minecraft'

Orv
May 4, 2011

Byolante posted:

A man looked at the usual trajectory of a pvp only game and thought 'why don't I do this but minecraft'

The usual trajectory of a (modern) PvP only MMO is typically because everyone is still obsessed with the idea of risk and loss in a PvP environment. DAoC sidestepped this and was successful, at least for the time and before they hosed it up, and hopefully CU does the same. Asking for a sub for it is something I'm still iffy on when the game was Kickstarted in 2012 and will be entering a non-24/7 beta this year.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Orv posted:

The usual trajectory of a (modern) PvP only MMO is typically because everyone is still obsessed with the idea of risk and loss in a PvP environment. DAoC sidestepped this and was successful, at least for the time and before they hosed it up, and hopefully CU does the same. Asking for a sub for it is something I'm still iffy on when the game was Kickstarted in 2012 and will be entering a non-24/7 beta this year.

Like to an extent taking away full loot will help but DAoC worked because it had pve end game content as well. Hoping consequenceless pvp as the endgame seems like a doomed to failure proposition in a post pubg/moba world.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Byolante posted:

Like to an extent taking away full loot will help but DAoC worked because it had pve end game content as well. Hoping consequenceless pvp as the endgame seems like a doomed to failure proposition in a post pubg/moba world.

I mean, it had it yes, but I at least never once did it because it was something I wanted to do. CU also has the concept of The Depths, which is basically a PvPvPvE area that has from the beginning sounded like an insane pipe dream but who knows.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

CU as a whole is extremely on the side of 'thinking big'. I will be thrilled if they can pull it off, but you can understand I'm not holding my breath.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Daoc worked despite the developers best intentions

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I backed this on kickstarter with some spare money I never even thought I would see the fruit off.
I believe back then in 2012 a 2016 release was projected, albeit never officially.

Now in 2018 I have not played one decent new MMO since that date for more than let's say two months. And I'm sure it's not only the developer's fault but also we, the players, have unachievable expectations (and all different too for that matter).

But...
I will definitely play this, even though I stopped reading the weekly spam I get in my mailbox and I have not logged in since one of the first closed alpha's.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

I gently caress around in the alpha tests occasionally and the game is getting pretty.

It will live or die with its combat system though and there isn't enough to even really see an outline of how it will work.

Of course we are all hoping for a modern update of what worked in daoc, but who knowns.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is making me want to play Dark Age of Camelot while waiting for Camelot Unchained to go live. There is a user created free server but it's based on classic DAoC and is not even remotely accessible or easy to play for newer players.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I said come in! posted:

This is making me want to play Dark Age of Camelot while waiting for Camelot Unchained to go live. There is a user created free server but it's based on classic DAoC and is not even remotely accessible or easy to play for newer players.

You can play on the live servers for 14 free days if you just need a quick fix.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

I said come in! posted:

You probably can't wait but DAoC will have a permanent free to play option this fall. http://darkageofcamelot.com/content/endless-conquest-faq

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Sorry I refuse to even consider a lovely kickstarted MMO if Alexander de Large doesn't start the thread.

And the pink elephant guy better be playing it too.

:colbert:

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Really hoping this poo poo is good. I guess I dont care how long it takes to go live. Well, long as it's not another year. And will really have to see how 90% pvp/rvr will hash out when one realm has tons more people, etc.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

Sorry I refuse to even consider a lovely kickstarted MMO if Alexander de Large doesn't start the thread.

And the pink elephant guy better be playing it too.

:colbert:

Yes. Eonwe makes everything better.

I've already backed this stupid thing so I guess I'll be there on the 4th bitching about how OP midgard is.

Bumbler
Dec 17, 2005

Cautiously optimistic about this game after playing in the last few alpha tests. Seems like their decision to make their own engine is paying off. I also appreciate the company's attitude, they are very candid about the state of the game and don't try to force marketing BS down our throats. Lets hope it doesn't crash and burn like every PvP MMO ever :ohdear:

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
The problem with all modern PVE MMO's is that the poopsockers we all are clear all the content within one or two months, and they can never hope to keep up to satisfy demand.

If they do this right, and there are good reason to go out and bash eachother's skulls over and over and capture whatever to build stuffs... yes, that could keep people busy for a while.

But as with any MMORPG, character progression is important. People need incentives to go do stuff. People who don''t need it could just as well go play a shooter.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Bumbler posted:

Cautiously optimistic about this game after playing in the last few alpha tests. Seems like their decision to make their own engine is paying off. I also appreciate the company's attitude, they are very candid about the state of the game and don't try to force marketing BS down our throats. Lets hope it doesn't crash and burn like every PvP MMO ever :ohdear:
If they do group pvp well and don't have too large of a barrier to entry it shouldn't crash and burn. It'll be more like a slow burn.

If they manage to lure other types of players and maintain it well, then it will probably sustain its player count.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Backed this a LOOOONGG time ago, so I'm looking forward to beat. DAOC was my first (and best) MMO love. We're going whatever the Hibernia equivalent is, right?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

motherbox posted:

Backed this a LOOOONGG time ago, so I'm looking forward to beat. DAOC was my first (and best) MMO love. We're going whatever the Hibernia equivalent is, right?

Everyone was drooling over the arthurian dragon people with the butt-wings last thread. I'll be curious to see if the overall population still goes brits >> vikings >>>>> celts. I was a mid in DAOC and was somewhat jealous of how the hibs on my realm came together and made the most of things.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

bagrada posted:

Everyone was drooling over the arthurian dragon people with the butt-wings last thread. I'll be curious to see if the overall population still goes brits >> vikings >>>>> celts. I was a mid in DAOC and was somewhat jealous of how the hibs on my realm came together and made the most of things.

Every kid who knew what an MMO was in my high school played Midgard and I'm shocked the post before yours would even joke about goons going with another option

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I mean the Celts have a class that lets you turn into a Dullahan and attack people with your own severed head and spine. Everyone else just kind of seems like also-rans after a thing like that.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

I loved DAOC until the engine ended up feeling old and painful. I loving love the classes and races they have planned out for this game. I freaking hate the landmark/minecraft build stuff they spent so much time on (but I'm an apparently rare weirdo that doesn't like minecraft/terraria type games anyway). That about breaks even so I'm looking forward to the beta to tip me over the line one way or another.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP

I said come in! posted:

Live is far more accessible than Uthgard or that other one that pops up every few years.

Live actually still has surprisingly decent RvR. And it's still the same old tropes per realm. Alb is super popular and insular, hibs stand around and do nothing then will go ape poo poo every once and awhile, and mids just go bash heads every day. Every realm has a zerg master that goes out and takes keeps every day too. Usually in Euro time though.

And they came out with that new wing/campaign of pve that has all the end game items, so you can just "raid" to get set up instead of buying currency from the Chinese guys or selling game time cards.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

bagrada posted:

I loved DAOC until the engine ended up feeling old and painful. I loving love the classes and races they have planned out for this game. I freaking hate the landmark/minecraft build stuff they spent so much time on (but I'm an apparently rare weirdo that doesn't like minecraft/terraria type games anyway). That about breaks even so I'm looking forward to the beta to tip me over the line one way or another.

I loved it until buffbots. More specifically I loved it until they nerfed left axe, and hence two of my characters, because zerkers with left axe were OP when buffbotted. But buffbot accounts made them money, so rather than fix the real problem they exacerbated it.

But that's just whining on my part. The real problem with the game was the inability of the network to actually handle huge amounts of people all in one zone fighting over a keep. If you were just cruising around in the frontier with a group at minstrel speed ganking people, it was fine, but neither the engine nor the internet could handle a massive slugfest. In addition to the game turning into a slideshow on even the most powerful rigs because the engine was so poor, the nature of the internet at the time just guaranteed massive warping lagfests. And Warhammer Online had the same problem in that regard, things went to hell when you piled a bunch of people into a keep.

And I'm not even sure how you fix that. Bandwidth is still expensive.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

PriNGLeS posted:

Live is far more accessible than Uthgard or that other one that pops up every few years.

Live actually still has surprisingly decent RvR. And it's still the same old tropes per realm. Alb is super popular and insular, hibs stand around and do nothing then will go ape poo poo every once and awhile, and mids just go bash heads every day. Every realm has a zerg master that goes out and takes keeps every day too. Usually in Euro time though.

And they came out with that new wing/campaign of pve that has all the end game items, so you can just "raid" to get set up instead of buying currency from the Chinese guys or selling game time cards.

Don't forget to tell people that Broadsword has entirely changed every aspect of the game, especially the classes, so it's not even really the same game anymore. Yeah, you can get 50 in like a day, but is it fun?

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP

Kazvall posted:

Don't forget to tell people that Broadsword has entirely changed every aspect of the game, especially the classes, so it's not even really the same game anymore. Yeah, you can get 50 in like a day, but is it fun?

Classes haven't changed that much. I think necro is the only class that's been "changed". It was completely redone. Styles got normalized so there's no more wtfdoublefrost. That's about it. Some QOL stuff for song classes. Oh yeah, smite clerics got buffed!!! WOW.
It's still fun. And the same game.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
I’ve completed my undergrad and two masters since I first kickstarted this game. Given my current career, their use of six years may prove to have been better spent than mine even if this turns out to be a dumpster fire.

Batmasterson
Dec 7, 2010

Bang Bang Bang
Is there a way to see what kind of Beta access I have to this? I donated $5 to Kickstarter ages ago, and only really follow this through email updates. If I can play on July 4th (or whenever) I'd love to check it out, but I don't see that anywhere other than I own a Realm Builder pledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Batmasterson posted:

Is there a way to see what kind of Beta access I have to this? I donated $5 to Kickstarter ages ago, and only really follow this through email updates. If I can play on July 4th (or whenever) I'd love to check it out, but I don't see that anywhere other than I own a Realm Builder pledge.

https://store.camelotunchained.com/tier-comparison

Says $60 tier for beta 1 access, $35 tier for beta 2 and 3. That chart was made ages ago though and they may change their mind depending on participation. I know people in Alpha with the $60 package despite that requiring a $250+ tier on the chart. $5 probably just gets you the newsletter.