Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Byolante posted:

I don't understand why anyone would want a pvp mmo anyway. Surely a mmo style combat game but with a lobby system like dota or overwatch will happen?

Isn't this what battlerite is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Senor Dog posted:

Isn't this what battlerite is?

Not really.

In Battlerite you control your character movement with WASD and your direction with the mouse and then every single ability is a skill shot of some kind. It's essentially MOBAs ground down to only the team fight parts.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
Is this game dead? I thought it was in beta and have heard nothing about it.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

insider posted:

The beta is an oldschool one so it's still only up for short periods of time every now and then.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Any class gameplay videos from the beta yet?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

insider posted:

It’s in alpha, as in true alpha. It has gotten millions more in funding so far from dead

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Shammypants posted:

It’s in alpha, as in true alpha. It has gotten millions more in funding so far from dead

I still get emails from them. Last one mentioned something about scenarios and environment destruction being tested. Sounds like it still a ways away from release.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Shammypants posted:

This is true but if you admit that it's in true alpha state right now 5 1/2 years after it was supposed to be in a polished beta state then the post does not stand as a great advertisement for the game. Yes MJ seems willing to put his reputation and his own cash on the line, but no that doesn't change the fact that this game is really going to struggle to be relevant or interesting or 'news' by the time it actually comes out. If you're banking on subscription fees to make your money back and end up seven years behind, the game is going to come out right when they hit the bottom of the piggy bank. Without a friendly billionaire or selling off another 30% of the company, how will it be marketed? Nobody talks about it anymore.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Okay one question, does this game get the same stealth mechanisms as DAoC?

Orv
May 4, 2011

extra stout posted:

This is true but if you admit that it's in true alpha state right now 5 1/2 years after it was supposed to be in a polished beta state then the post does not stand as a great advertisement for the game. Yes MJ seems willing to put his reputation and his own cash on the line, but no that doesn't change the fact that this game is really going to struggle to be relevant or interesting or 'news' by the time it actually comes out. If you're banking on subscription fees to make your money back and end up seven years behind, the game is going to come out right when they hit the bottom of the piggy bank. Without a friendly billionaire or selling off another 30% of the company, how will it be marketed? Nobody talks about it anymore.

To be fair nobody talks about it anymore because there's about six people left posting in the DAoC thread, the games closest analogues both have RvR modes that most people don't even care about and those that do have immense problems with it and all the people who are super bought into the CU dream are elsewhere. I will fully grant that having the same timeline as Star Citizen (KS: 2012) is not a great look, but those six years were spent making a game engine that I will personally attest to working with a huge number of clients with very little slowdown or lag.

Will that be enough to draw the crowds they need to keep it afloat once it's a real boy? I'd give it a solid maybe because there are still a lot of half lit torches out there among MMO vets for DAoC/Shadowbane style PvP sandboxes. Whether it's worth playing in the end it's too early to tell, which is in itself, yeah kind of a problem.

Toplowtech posted:

Okay one question, does this game get the same stealth mechanisms as DAoC?

The various kinds of stealth classes are all going to take penalties for doing their stealth actions and have limited stealth interactivity and time, but beyond that they haven't really said. All the stealth classes will be some of the last things they put into the game so it's hard to say.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP

Byolante posted:

I don't understand why anyone would want a pvp mmo anyway. Surely a mmo style combat game but with a lobby system like dota or overwatch will happen?

It did... it was called... something... gently caress. It shut down pretty quick, one of the first mmos to actually shut down.

It might have even been pre-WoW. I'm not sure though.

Fear.... Rage.... something like that.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I’m confident because the same VC group and lenders have given cash commitments to the game showing a lot of confidence in their ability to produce.

The reason for major delays is the contemporary demand for building and destroying bases. Implementing that in a pvp game is probably the hardest part and the cause for most delays, design and testing.

Yea they are small though and it’s taking longer than expected but with no other mmos on the horizon, oh well.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Shammypants posted:

I’m confident because the same VC group and lenders have given cash commitments to the game showing a lot of confidence in their ability to produce.

The reason for major delays is the contemporary demand for building and destroying bases. Implementing that in a pvp game is probably the hardest part and the cause for most delays, design and testing.

Yea they are small though and it’s taking longer than expected but with no other mmos on the horizon, oh well.

Crowfall is doing nearly the same thing in half the time though.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

malhavok posted:

Crowfall is doing nearly the same thing in half the time though.

It won’t be good, not with that funding.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

PriNGLeS posted:

It did... it was called... something... gently caress. It shut down pretty quick, one of the first mmos to actually shut down.

It might have even been pre-WoW. I'm not sure though.

Fear.... Rage.... something like that.

It was called Fury and there was a big drama at the time because gamestop was still selling it after the servers had shut down

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP

Byolante posted:

It was called Fury and there was a big drama at the time because gamestop was still selling it after the servers had shut down

Yep, that was it. My buddy at the time had such a hard on for it. It was okay. That was the start of him only liking really bad MMOs. See: Earthfall.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

PriNGLeS posted:

Yep, that was it. My buddy at the time had such a hard on for it. It was okay. That was the start of him only liking really bad MMOs. See: Earthfall.

it wass the most mystifying poo poo ever because guild wars already existed and filled the niche

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Are the bots that have been in the beta something that is going to be apart of the game going forward so that you always have something to fight?

Kak
Sep 27, 2002

I said come in! posted:

Are the bots that have been in the beta something that is going to be apart of the game going forward so that you always have something to fight?

they are there just to stress test server and client performance. i don't think there will be any in game. they just run in a certain direction and spam abilities

Orv
May 4, 2011

Byolante posted:

it wass the most mystifying poo poo ever because guild wars already existed and filled the niche

Fury was interesting because it had a very early version of the idea of action MMO combat that became popular around TERA, GW2 and everything else that came out in that era. It was still essentially tab targeting under the hood but you could move during abilities, PBAOES were heavily represented and there was a bunch of movement stuff including various teleports.

It died because it was bad and deserved to, mind you.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Wasn't Fury the one that had a 1 million dollar tournament or something? Jesus lol I had completely forgotten about that game. It's crazy to think about the sheer amount of MMOs that were coming out during the peak of the genre. It felt like there was a new MMO coming out every month.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

Wasn't Fury the one that had a 1 million dollar tournament or something? Jesus lol I had completely forgotten about that game. It's crazy to think about the sheer amount of MMOs that were coming out during the peak of the genre. It felt like there was a new MMO coming out every month.

Which never paid out or maybe even happened because the game died in like a month, yeah.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

back at my parents' house i have so many old alpha/beta CDs of mmos that probably nobody remembers (poo poo like rubies of eventide). i was a hound for the genre but none of them ever panned out.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

back at my parents' house i have so many old alpha/beta CDs of mmos that probably nobody remembers (poo poo like rubies of eventide). i was a hound for the genre but none of them ever panned out.

jesus christ, rubies of eventide. that takes me back. i had completely forgotten about that game, man.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Orv posted:

Which never paid out or maybe even happened because the game died in like a month, yeah.

Thankfully people stopped announcing million dollar tournaments before the game launched and cratered.... valve did what?

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I remember Fury, I was in the beta with a friend. We enjoyed the combat, but most of the game ended up being all the fun of waiting for BG's to pop in WoW. I seriously don't remember a tournament for it, though I dropped it before it released.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
I only know about this game because NerdSlayer did a "Death Of A Game" on DAoC where he didn't ever talk about why it died, he just talked about how it was the greatest game to ever exist and then at the end pivoted and revealed that the video was actually just to shill for Camelot Unchained which he works on.

Needless to say, :lol: at the state of the game.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So how is this coming along? I got fond memories of DAoC and what it tried to do at the time, I'm fine with them taking their time to perfect the PvP and buttwing demons but curious what they have been up to on this.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

curious what they have been up to on this.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

taking their time to perfect the PvP and buttwing demons reinvent Minecraft

Though to be fair I haven't looked in a long while and I still hope they make something of the game because DAOC was awesome.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

So how is this coming along? I got fond memories of DAoC and what it tried to do at the time, I'm fine with them taking their time to perfect the PvP and buttwing demons but curious what they have been up to on this.

Still effectively in alpha.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

bagrada posted:

Though to be fair I haven't looked in a long while and I still hope they make something of the game because DAOC was awesome.

i have very low hopes because of that unnecessary building bullshit.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
The sad thing is I have no interest whatsoever in de Lego part of the game. I just want good RvR.
I'll be the guy defending the working peons, even maybe chip in an mine some materials. Custom made structures is cool and all, but they're only there to support the main aspect of the game.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

They spent so much drat money on making minecraft castles when they could have just made like 10 templates instead. Makes no sense to me. Mostly because if/when this game comes out, it will be way too late, in my opinion.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Too late for what

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

For people to pay a subscription to play an mmo.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
This feels sad when you realize it's still an alpha, the kind of alpha that isn't fun and doesn't have a map beyond a field or any classes in the game yet

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-15-about-that-camelot-unchained-alpha-in-august

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
They need to peel back features. Make players only humans, etc.

Also, game never coming out.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

At this point i've written this game off as yet another kickstarter scam, looking to exploit nostalgia. The devs have ran off with the money and have no intention of finishing it. Filed it under the other scam MMOs, Star Citizen, Shroud of the Avatar, Pantheon, and Crowfall. There's probably a couple others i've missed.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
Has there even been a video showing off actual gameplay and combat and how it works? I tried searching for a video and the best I could find didn't seem to show anything, just an old man babbling. Who cares about concept art and lore? I would like to see how the game actually plays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
There was some open testing. 'Capture the duck' type things but I haven't heard much in some time.