Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

All of the tests have been closed and with an NDA I believe? The little gameplay I have seen has been vague and I had no idea what was going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Last time I tried anything was near the beginning of the year. It was not a game then, it was a genuine alpha because they spent six years building an engine to handle the kind of player counts they want on screen.

I don't terribly expect them to ever move past that point, as it is now, but who knows.

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

6 Years to build the engine and 5 more years to create the game, by the time it will come out we'll need another new engine.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Raioner posted:

6 Years to build the engine and 5 more years to create the game, by the time it will come out we'll need another new engine.
DAoC Unchained Forever

Migertantix
Jul 15, 2003

The latest Countdown to Classic podcast has a good interview with Mark Jacobs and briefly touches on Camelot Unchained. It's only part one so I expect there to be more discussion next week.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Someone linked me the Camelot Unchained reddit and I saw a lot of people nervously talking about and mocking the game and the 90 days it now takes to get a refund, and I can confirm now that after 3 weeks of no one replying to my email that I had to message an employee on discord who then explained to me that he never saw my refund request because 'it went to spam'

They then sent me a copy/paste reply of MJ talking about how great the game will be and how those who stay will be rewarded with more!! alleged!! upgrades!! on a game that might never come out, and he explained my 90 day refund policy did not start 3 weeks ago, it starts only after I confirm that I still want a refund and provide my full name, address, phone number, picture of my rear end etc

What I'm saying is if you want a refund because the game development is easily seven years behind schedule, I'd go ahead and file for that yesterday

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
That's always a good sign of a healthy product.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah I ended up getting one, turns out when they say "up to 90 days" they mean 90 days exactly like to the hour and it sure isn't any kind of paypal process or limitation so presumably they're just rear end covering for a slow insolvency.

Mark Jacobs never deserves the full depth of poo poo people give him but he's boned this one pretty hard.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I wrote off my investment years ago.

Since then i've played EQ progress servers, WoW classic, ... i'm not even sure I actually want to play an MMO anymore at this time.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Evernoob posted:

Since then i've played EQ progress servers, WoW classic, ... i'm not even sure I actually want to play an MMO anymore at this time.

This strongly resonates with me. I don't know if I care about playing an MMO anymore either. They are just filled with the worst gameplay and lazy game mechanical tropes at this point.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Bookmarking this thread is the extent of my investment in this game, and is basically my limit on any MMO at this point. There's a lot I could enjoy but most of them are lazily slapped together bullshit. Letting the "Did you actually release a game I can log in to?" filter do it's work has been pretty effective so far.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Wondering what will come first actually, Camelot Unchained, or Dark Age of Camelot free to play model.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP

I said come in! posted:

Wondering what will come first actually, Camelot Unchained, or Dark Age of Camelot free to play model.

Well considering the f2p for daoc is in a month or so (whenever the next patch is, its on the test server right now). That's a pretty clear answer.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

PriNGLeS posted:

Well considering the f2p for daoc is in a month or so (whenever the next patch is, its on the test server right now). That's a pretty clear answer.

Fair enough! I have clearly fallen behind on when that was suppose to launch. I will be playing again once it does.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
I thought DAoC went ftp years ago for some reason.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Erev posted:

I thought DAoC went ftp years ago for some reason.

You might be thinking of the Phoenix Freeshard, which is a third party running an older copy like Project 1999 for Everquest.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Fair enough! I have clearly fallen behind on when that was suppose to launch. I will be playing again once it does.

Yeah they just revamped all the restrictions too, they were pretty brutal before. Not bad, now.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

PriNGLeS posted:

Yeah they just revamped all the restrictions too, they were pretty brutal before. Not bad, now.

still not allowed to own a house apparently

Orv
May 4, 2011

Evernoob posted:

I will never stop hoping for a decent PvP MMO even if in reality I will probably just keep playing the WAR PS a couple nights a month, but it's just never going to happen and even if it somehow does happen it's never going to be good in more than a "Aw man" way. I'm not really the nostalgic type, for the most part, but there's definitely always gonna be that part of me that will wonder at what could have been.

Ah well.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Orv posted:

Yeah I ended up getting one, turns out when they say "up to 90 days" they mean 90 days exactly like to the hour and it sure isn't any kind of paypal process or limitation so presumably they're just rear end covering for a slow insolvency.

Mark Jacobs never deserves the full depth of poo poo people give him but he's boned this one pretty hard.

My refund went through in maybe 30 days but MJ (the CEO who I like and am trying not to mock here) does still have to personally verify all refunds, which is insane for a guy who is an actual game CEO and not a random kickstarter guy. I'm assuming he might even be using his own money to do the refunds, mine was a small amount and I bugged a mod on discord is why I'm guessing I got it back in a month or so.

There is a huge urge to mock this game though because I can't stand game devs who lie to themselves and their fanbase, and no matter how cool of a guy and confident Jacobs is, he is out of his loving mind if he thinks this would even be a beta test most people would want to pay to try out even in 2020

I'm gonna call either a December 2020 failed launch, or a June 2021 failed launch, but there's no way around it at this pace they will be out of anything but a hundred whales once the game is ready in 2022

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah it's dead to death and still gonna be in development for another year or three before it comes due.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Has a Kickstarter (or really, any crowdfunded) MMO released? I mean like, devs officially announce it out of beta and released, and they didn’t scale back the game to basically Not An MMO Anymore to make it? I know the Warhammer 40k MMO released, but they scaled it back so much it was basically just very large third-person shooter matches. Which is better than promising the moon and never releasing a product, but still.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Pants Donkey posted:

Has a Kickstarter (or really, any crowdfunded) MMO released? I mean like, devs officially announce it out of beta and released, and they didn’t scale back the game to basically Not An MMO Anymore to make it? I know the Warhammer 40k MMO released, but they scaled it back so much it was basically just very large third-person shooter matches. Which is better than promising the moon and never releasing a product, but still.

Shroud of the Avatar, which was a hilarious scam trash fire. Albion Online, which was UO gangbox with moronic devs and worse players. I think that's it, at least for things that were still what they were sold on, though I suppose you could make an argument against SotA fitting that criteria but frankly I don't really remember if it promised anything concrete beyond "Richard Garriot's next game!"

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I guess one of the best game (franchises) to come out of a Kickstarter must be Divinity : Original Sin. that game delivered (and beyond) what was expected from it.

DAoC free to play? ... is that with all the current content and expansions or will they also launch a "classic" version? Or at least open new fresh servers.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Evernoob posted:

I guess one of the best game (franchises) to come out of a Kickstarter must be Divinity : Original Sin. that game delivered (and beyond) what was expected from it.

DAoC free to play? ... is that with all the current content and expansions or will they also launch a "classic" version? Or at least open new fresh servers.

Harebrained Schemes have managed to deliver on their kickstarters successfully multiple times.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
It's too bad Divinity has a goofy rear end story. Looking forward to BG3 though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Orv posted:

Shroud of the Avatar, which was a hilarious scam trash fire. Albion Online, which was UO gangbox with moronic devs and worse players. I think that's it, at least for things that were still what they were sold on, though I suppose you could make an argument against SotA fitting that criteria but frankly I don't really remember if it promised anything concrete beyond "Richard Garriot's next game!"

Legends of Aria released, but it also sucks.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

I said come in! posted:

Legends of Aria released, but it also sucks.

The base game certainly does, I'm enjoying Legends of Ultima though.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Evernoob posted:

There isn't enough population to divide the player base. It's on the regular servers. You have access to all content, items, etc. The only glaring restrictions are you can only get realm ability points up to rr7 (but can still go past that), you can't use champion abilities (which means gently caress all to most people, really).

Oh, you can only use the buff bot npc's, otherwise you have to stay in range of your buffer (like how it was back in the day,).

https://darkageofcamelot.com/content/endless-conquest-table

It's pretty good when you consider their aim isn't a full fleshed f2p game with subscription bonuses, but more like a trial that doesn't suck. I'm really hoping it brings in a fair amount of people, the live game is pretty fun still.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Yes, but if there is indeed a huge influx of players, throwing them in the pool where everyone is RR5+ (hell, i bet plenty of groups are full RR10+ by now) and fully templated.... that is going to be a bloodbath.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

Evernoob posted:

Yes, but if there is indeed a huge influx of players, throwing them in the pool where everyone is RR5+ (hell, i bet plenty of groups are full RR10+ by now) and fully templated.... that is going to be a bloodbath.

I think they've made, or are making, some strides to get better gear to newer players sooner. You're right though most "older" players have 5+ years of gear, tips, tricks etc already ready.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
The plus side of a post ToA server is that realm ranks/abilities aren't such a massively huge advantage. It's still big, but not nearly as noticable with all the crazy gear and clickies around these days.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
So is this game in a playable state yet? Is it any good?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
No to the first question and by all accounts thus far no to the second.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
That's a shame. Will there ever be a good mmo again?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I feel the thread title should more properly reflect which July it is referencing.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

SweetBro posted:

There's a thread for that.

(Also the answer is, sadly, no. And depending who you ask and how 'there never was'.)

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

SweetBro posted:

Hello!

I have heard the summons.

The first answer is that there is not gonna be one.

The second answer is the next bad game is around the corner.

Do you want to know more?

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003
just watch it for a second
There's another test today and I thought I'd give it a try since it's been about a year since last time. Almost nothing has changed and this game is never coming out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

EQ came out in 1999 and Morrowind came out in 2002 but single player games have advanced game play wise since then so you're not going to get younger people to play what is basically the same base game as EQ but better graphics.

There isn't going to be a new, successful, MMO until another generation of internet infrastructure and a game that can take advantage of that in order to offer a game that has game play on par with current games, but with hundreds of people on screen.