Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Nah just that modern medicine has gotten us to the point a fighter can weigh in over 20% less than he actually fights at, which has caused this arms race of dudes trying to get into lighter and lighter weight classes for their frames since it's a huge advantage.

Like he didn't fail to make 185 because he was fat or lazy, he failed because he had no business trying to force himself down that low

Where’s the evidence that this is a particularly modern problem? Weight cutting doesn’t require any modern science or medicine, it’s all about diet and water intake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Cyber Dog posted:

I'm excited for the fights tomorrow! It'll be interesting to see what Megan Anderson brings, James Krause is her coach and he's legit.

The James Krause?

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

mewse posted:

This particular instance sounds like the AC doctor said to halt the cut while Romero's doctor said everything was fine.

Oh my mistake on reading. I didn't read it as Romero's own doctor.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Can't believe the doctors stopped him from shaving

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Why is Matt Serra doing a pro wrestle four hours from where I USED to live!?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Weight cutting doesn’t require any modern science or medicine, it’s all about diet and water intake.

Diet and water intake doesn't help someone drop 25 lbs in 5 days

mewse
May 2, 2006

Digital Jedi posted:

Oh my mistake on reading. I didn't read it as Romero's own doctor.

I don't think it's your fault, the helwani bullet points don't really elaborate on what happened. I do think the new york situation was much weirder tho.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Diet and water intake doesn't help someone drop 25 lbs in 5 days

Ummm....Yes it does. In fact there's even a documented article about it:

https://tim.blog/2013/05/06/how-to-cut-weight-ufc/

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Fight is still on, non-title

Huh, saw that in a tweet that's now been deleted. Possibly disregard

Memento fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 9, 2018

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Bobby said after the Rockhold/Romero fight that he wouldn't fight Romero if he missed weight, but his manager is now saying that he's willing to do it and won't even set a limit on where Romero can weigh on the day.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

Bobby said after the Rockhold/Romero fight that he wouldn't fight Romero if he missed weight, but his manager is now saying that he's willing to do it and won't even set a limit on where Romero can weigh on the day.

Hard to turn down hundreds of thousands of dollars after you just prepared 8+ weeks for a fight.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

I hope Yoel declares he's moving to 205, puts on 25 pounds of fat overnight, and then goes on to completely style on all the bum light-heavyweights. Competitive fights are a waste of his talents.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

JaySB posted:

Hard to turn down hundreds of thousands of dollars after you just prepared 8+ weeks for a fight.

Probably a fair amount of pressure from up top not to be the guy that missed two title fights in a row.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I wa surprised that Yoel missed weight because not only is he a professional who does this but also an olympian and wrestler. I thought wrestlers were usually really good and consistent about cutting weight cause they've done it their whole life. What's the drama surrounding his missed cut? Did he have an excuse?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Waroduce posted:

I wa surprised that Yoel missed weight because not only is he a professional who does this but also an olympian and wrestler. I thought wrestlers were usually really good and consistent about cutting weight cause they've done it their whole life. What's the drama surrounding his missed cut? Did he have an excuse?

He claimed on the stage the commission cut his extra weight cut short by and hour and he would have been on weight had they not.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

TheKingslayer posted:

He claimed on the stage the commission cut his extra weight cut short by and hour and he would have been on weight had they not.

Why would the commission do such a thing if the appointed MD is all good w it?

I started following MMA after Diaz McGregor and more closely only within the last six months but between the Khabib belt and all this the UFC seems like a joke of an organization

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I honestly don't really care that he's 0.2 over. It always felt weird to me that the championship fights dont have the pound allowence. poo poo is arbitrary as hell, he's big as gently caress but he's not having a doctor stop his cut and showing up 10 pounds over like the real fuckups.

He's still a dumb idiot but yeah.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Waroduce posted:

Why would the commission do such a thing if the appointed MD is all good w it?

I started following MMA after Diaz McGregor and more closely only within the last six months but between the Khabib belt and all this the UFC seems like a joke of an organization

The UFC isn't responsible for commissions at all. They ranges from highly competent to barely functional depending on the state.

Edit: That is unless you mean the UFC just in general being a joke, because yeah they let some wild poo poo fly.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Idg the Khabib belt thing, like yeah he was 25-0 or whatever but he never fought s champion or #1 or 2 for the belt right? Like he fought some loving scrub on two days notice. Like if the fight needs to happen cause of ppv and poo poo well let it happen but don't crown his rear end for beating some scrub tier fighter

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Some of that is the new owners that feel like the belts or title fights in general are the draws and don't like not having a title fight happen if promised. It wasn't always like that not even... I'd say five years ago.

But I'll defend their decision to give it to Khabib because Conor was being a piece of poo poo and not fighting and then a piece of poo poo throwing objects and injuring other fighters. I'd rather a guy many people consider the best 155er in the world have it than someone who won't ever show up to defend it.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

it feels like they started getting interim belt happy around condit/diaz

mewse
May 2, 2006

I kinda blame the health care plan they started providing for the fighters. It feels like a lot more fights get cancelled due to injuries than before, now that the fighters can go to a doctor. They should be forced to fight until their limbs stop working IMO.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

mewse posted:

I kinda blame the health care plan they started providing for the fighters. It feels like a lot more fights get cancelled due to injuries than before, now that the fighters can go to a doctor. They should be forced to fight until their limbs stop working IMO.

AKA fighters try their best to.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I def don't think McGregor should have retained the belt but idk if Khabib deserves it for knocking out random fighter #17.

Wasn't the original card kind of bullshit like his opponent still wasn't anyone particularly special or talented?

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
its romeros own fault lol, he already got extra time

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Tony was legit.

Khabib is super legit.

I see no problems with him being the champion.

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

Waroduce posted:

I def don't think McGregor should have retained the belt but idk if Khabib deserves it for knocking out random fighter #17.

Wasn't the original card kind of bullshit like his opponent still wasn't anyone particularly special or talented?

cant tell if the second part is sarcasm

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
It's not I don't know the fighters that well I'm asking not trolling

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Faustian Bargain posted:

Weigh cutting is dumb, make the weight classes be at what weight you are at fight time.

100% this. Better for competition, and better for the long and short term health of the fighters.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Waroduce posted:

Khabib’s original opponent is extremely good and is on a 10 fight win streak including a win over a former 155lb champ and a bunch of highly rated dudes.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Liquid Communism posted:

100% this. Better for competition, and better for the long and short term health of the fighters.

Guys would still cut weight for the fights, not rehydrate properly, and put on shittier performances (and get knocked out more easily, thanks to reduced cerebrospinal fluid volume, IIRC). The only way to police this is how ONE FC does it (after a guy died cutting weight), where they monitor fighters weights throughout training camp and don't let them fight below a certain percentage of their typical weight. That's expensive to do and logistically complicated, especially with a roster as big as the UFC's. I have no idea what ONE does about late replacements either. Protecting fighters from themselves is a pretty complicated proposition, because people will always be looking for that edge.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Waroduce posted:

Wikipedia exists.

He was supposed to fight Tony Ferguson (who is a cool and exciting fighter and also a moronic dickhead) Ferguson had the interim belt because he'd beaten cool and handsome wrestler Kevin Lee some months before, and was on a gigantic win streak before that (even bigger than Khabib's) While neither of them were the lineal champion, the lineal champion was...somewhere else doing something else. However, a couple of days before the fight (the fourth time it's been booked) Tony hosed up his knee while turning to say hi to someone. And so Max Holloway, featherweight champ and also great fighter, offered to fight khabib. However, he couldn't make the weight (or was stopped from making the weight) and so Al Iaquinta, real estate agent, who was also on the card, jumped in.

It's an extremely confusing scenario, and I'm honestly thinking Khabib/Tony is cursed.

Essentially, Tony and/or Khabib are the two best fighters in the division. They've more or less cleaned it out and it only remains to be seen which of them is better. Thinking that Khabib was awarded the belt specifically for the Iaquinta fight is akin to thinking Scorsese actually won the Oscar for the Departed.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Khabib and Tony have also been booked to fight each other like five times, and every single time somebody has dropped out injured, but Tony tearing knee ligaments tripping on a wire because he was wearing sunglasses indoors and couldn't see it is the best and final one

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Khabib and Tony have also been booked to fight each other like five times, and every single time somebody has dropped out injured, but Tony tearing knee ligaments tripping on a wire because he was wearing sunglasses indoors and couldn't see it is the best and final one

It's actually four. And it's been every year for the last four years. The only other fight I can think of that's been booked this many times without happening was Alessio Sakara vs. Jorge Rivera, and that was only three.

And they should stop. You're right that it won't get any dumber than Tony's one.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
gently caress sake 0.2lbs?

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Where’s the evidence that this is a particularly modern problem? Weight cutting doesn’t require any modern science or medicine, it’s all about diet and water intake.

even so the modern scientific approach to sports, as well access to knowledge and research etc helps bring it to an extreme .. i imagine weight cutting in the past was a lot of torture for what amounted to ending up doing neither much good nor much harm

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Wise Learned Man posted:

Guys would still cut weight for the fights, not rehydrate properly, and put on shittier performances (and get knocked out more easily, thanks to reduced cerebrospinal fluid volume, IIRC). The only way to police this is how ONE FC does it (after a guy died cutting weight), where they monitor fighters weights throughout training camp and don't let them fight below a certain percentage of their typical weight. That's expensive to do and logistically complicated, especially with a roster as big as the UFC's. I have no idea what ONE does about late replacements either. Protecting fighters from themselves is a pretty complicated proposition, because people will always be looking for that edge.

one possible solution is to have the athletes salaried instead of responsible for securing their own wages and sponsors. that way its in their employers interest to have them prepare properly and be in top form when they need to be

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

if they want to punish fighters who miss weight let them fight but if they win its turned into a no contest, just like failing a post/pre fight drug test

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Memento posted:

For a record fourth time running, a UFC fight booked between two fighters has been cancelled. Tony Ferguson has been booked to fight Khabib Nurmagomedov once a year for four loving years. In 2015, Khabib had to pull out of the fight with a knee injury. In 2016, Tony had to pull out with a lung infection. In 2017, Khabib pulled out at the last minute, this time after a bad weight cut hospitalised him. So here we are in 2018, and as it was Tony's turn, he pulled out 6 days before the fight with a ruptured ligament in his knee. Tony suffered this ligament by turning around too fast, something that might still have happened even if he didn't literally kick steel poles in training but then again maybe not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

It wouldn't be quite so annoying if it wasn't such a genuinely intriguing fight. If there's someone who can deal with Khabib's pace and top control, Tony's probably that guy. And if there's someone who can keep Tony pinned down, it's Khabib.

• Locked thread