Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CommonShore posted:

RDA is going to be a double champion without jumping the line in either division.

RDA is rad since, if I told you that some guy lost to Jeremy Stephens, Tyson Griffin, Clay Guida and Gelison Tibau you would, quite reasonably, write him off. Instead, he kept going back to the drawing board, improved massively in every way, and has ended up a champ on the edge of being a double champ.

Captain Log posted:

We haven't talked enough about the resurgence of the best fighter ever named Saunders, Ben Saunders.

Here is a little homework for the uninitiated. Yes it's Sanders vs. Wolff -

https://www.ufc.tv/video/ben-saunders-vs-brandon-wolff-ufc-fight-night

Also sweet big titted Jesus fight pass has an awful search function.

On the whole, every aspect of the UI is terrible, especially on Apple TV. For instance, you can't go to the profile of either fighter after watching a fight, but you can watch unrelated fights from around the same period. It will ask you if you want to continue watching a fight you've already watched unless you sit through the whole post fight thing. It just needs a serious overhaul.

Also, this fight is fantastic.

Wangsbig posted:

i dont watch wrestling, wgho is cum punk

Some guy with a pepsi tattoo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

gently caress Max is good. That performance against Stephens was amazing in that he didn't make a single mistake in front of a guy who you absolutely cannot afford to make a mistake in front of. He's one of the few guys that could conceivably win a firefight against Stephens and also smart enough never to get into one.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Is Takeru the horny one?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

On the one hand, I can absolutely see a scummy company like WWE doing this. On the other hand, the words are coming out of Chael Sonnen's mouth so how am I supposed to believe them?

Chael's annoying because even though you know he's insane, he's good at articulating his points and it ends being hard to disagree with his reasoning.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Gay Horney posted:

This is only true if you are stupid

Not really. He takes you down a chain of reasoning that sounds find until you realise the conclusion is bananas. It's essentially this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ZZJXw4MTA

I mean, it's not controversial that Chael is good at talking.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I hope Whittaker wins, because he is cool and good :)

Also his victory speeches are the best.

Lloyd Boner posted:

I'm rooting for Whittaker, but Yoel is also extremely cool, so that would be fine.

OTOH put me on suicide watch if Colby wins

Colby spent a round getting decisively outstruck by a gassing elderly jiu jitsu man who doesn't know what a punch is.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bundt Cake posted:

whittakers my favorite and id pick him against all mws right now but yoel is monstrous

I'd clumsily compare him to Jeremy Stephens. Someone who isn't perfect on a technical level, but who you simply cannot gently caress up in front of, because he will fly across the octagon and kill you

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Wow. That's actually much worse than I remembered. Now remember that RDA has decisively beaten Cerrone, Pettis, Bendo, Lawler and Saffedeine on the feet.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

threeagainstfour posted:

I think in the Maia fight he was banking on going at a pace that Maia could not possibly keep up with. So coming forward lunging with bullshit punches he didn't care about landing worked out in the end, because Maia did gas out and lose. Not saying he's a good striker by any means and doing that against RDA is a really bad idea if it doesn't lead to him getting in on RDA's hips and making it a grinding wrestling match.

I think it's more likely that he's just a bad fighter who managed to lose a round kickboxing against Damien loving Maia.

JaySB posted:

The more I get of him the stranger it feels

eh-eh-ey

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I'm pretty sure LL Cool J does fine with women, yet his nickname (ladies love cool james) is still dumb as poo poo.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Gay Horney posted:

I can't figure out why the odds on RDA Covington are so tight

There's some idea that I've seen repeated that RDA struggles with wrestlers. Even though the last time he got badly outwrestled was by Khabib 4 years ago. His only losses since then (and for much of his career) have been on the feet. Statistically, his takedown defence is 66%, which is pretty loving solid.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Biggest Meltdowner posted:

LL Cool J (w)raps back around to cool.

No, cool is in the middle.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Waroduce posted:

It's not I don't know the fighters that well I'm asking not trolling

Wikipedia exists.

He was supposed to fight Tony Ferguson (who is a cool and exciting fighter and also a moronic dickhead) Ferguson had the interim belt because he'd beaten cool and handsome wrestler Kevin Lee some months before, and was on a gigantic win streak before that (even bigger than Khabib's) While neither of them were the lineal champion, the lineal champion was...somewhere else doing something else. However, a couple of days before the fight (the fourth time it's been booked) Tony hosed up his knee while turning to say hi to someone. And so Max Holloway, featherweight champ and also great fighter, offered to fight khabib. However, he couldn't make the weight (or was stopped from making the weight) and so Al Iaquinta, real estate agent, who was also on the card, jumped in.

It's an extremely confusing scenario, and I'm honestly thinking Khabib/Tony is cursed.

Essentially, Tony and/or Khabib are the two best fighters in the division. They've more or less cleaned it out and it only remains to be seen which of them is better. Thinking that Khabib was awarded the belt specifically for the Iaquinta fight is akin to thinking Scorsese actually won the Oscar for the Departed.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Khabib and Tony have also been booked to fight each other like five times, and every single time somebody has dropped out injured, but Tony tearing knee ligaments tripping on a wire because he was wearing sunglasses indoors and couldn't see it is the best and final one

It's actually four. And it's been every year for the last four years. The only other fight I can think of that's been booked this many times without happening was Alessio Sakara vs. Jorge Rivera, and that was only three.

And they should stop. You're right that it won't get any dumber than Tony's one.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

It wouldn't be quite so annoying if it wasn't such a genuinely intriguing fight. If there's someone who can deal with Khabib's pace and top control, Tony's probably that guy. And if there's someone who can keep Tony pinned down, it's Khabib.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Rigel posted:

Most of us don't have any problem with Khabib getting the belt at all because its more or less universally agreed that he was the top contender. The people saying that Iaquinta "exposed" him are morons who took Joe Rogan's call too seriously.

As if Khabib not being great on the feet was somehow revelatory. Also, Khabib kicked his rear end on the feet. Of all Joe Rogan's crazy calls, that's one of the weirdest.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mean Bean Machine posted:

cool. have you ever watched a tyron woodley fight? he manages to go 5 rounds by only attacking in bursts. if he's pressured and forced to engage for all 25 mins, he's bound to get tired a lot faster. r-word

If Colby pressures him the way he pressured RDA and Maia, he's going to get lit up, just like he did against RDA and, well, Maia. Except by someone who demonstrably hits a lot harder.

I'm very mad at RDA for forcing us to give a poo poo about Colby's 'fights' for a bit longer.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BIG PUFFY NIPS posted:

the only thing sadder than the punk fight was watching colby try to cut babbys first promo on the count lmao

The even sadder part is that he's been 'cultivating' that 'persona' for months, maybe even a year, now. That's the end result of a lot of practice.

Soothing Vapors posted:

esparza is one of the most unlikeable fighters in the sport lol

like at least colby is playing a character, however badly

It was astounding how hateable she was on an Ultimate Fighter series full of...interesting personalities.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

eric posted:

he's probably 3 KO victories away from a HW title shot

I'm pretty sure there isn't a heavyweight alive who this isn't true for.

Colby got paid more than 300,000 for whatever the gently caress he was doing, roughly the same as what Max Holloway got for a second virtuoso performance against one of the best guys to ever do it. This bothers me more than it should.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

1st AD posted:

CM Punk made more money than Colby lol

You can at least understand how that happened. The Colby thing is one of the true mysteries of our time.

Also, apparently 225 did 150k buys, which seems pretty bad.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

1st AD posted:

Compared to Mighty Mouse, sure, but he isn’t really a draw. Maybe he could be in the next fight or 2.

Fun fact: despite all his work on social media and instagram, he has fewer followers than RDA, who may or may not even have social media accounts.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

its hard to state whether he is or isn't yet because we don't have enough data on him to say as such. what he's doing has a track record for success but its not a guaranteed one. the fact that his opponent is tyron fuckin woodley sure doesn't help so this show will be what measures covington's drawing power. even chael sonnen still draws viewers today despite being outed as a steroid cheat who loses more than he wins because of his former rep and his mouth.

Chael Sonnen is a charismatic and gifted public speaker. Colby sounds like a high schooler giving an oral presentation who was erroneously under the impression he'd be allowed to use notes.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

1st AD posted:

It’s not hard to state, he’s co-headlined exactly one card that did 150k buys. That’s not to say he can’t ever become a draw, but absolutely he’s not there right now in this moment.

Chael’s first headlining card did 600k buys, Conor’s first did 825k buys.

RDA's did 310k

It was against Pettis, who was pretty popular at the time, but still.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I remember the Lesnar/Overeem card was announced as having done 800k, then Meltzer said no, it did about half that.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Watch them show fewer fights rather than just trimming the hours of promos they always do.

Also, Stipe Cormier will be cool, but Holloway Vs. Ortega will be a lot cooler. It's a fight between two guys who both go slow early on and ramp it up as they start to find openings, but Ortega's more like 'super bar is charged up, time to submit him.' I don't think he's ever been ahead in any fight before he suddenly won in a cool way. Logic tells me that Holloway should win, because he's looked loving amazing for quite some time, but Ortega just has a bullshit ability to win out of nowhere. I'm very excited.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Southpaugh posted:

Max is gonna punch him in the face so many times he'll forget he has a black belt.

Logically, this seems very likely. However, lots of people have punched Ortega a bunch and then been submitted by some bullshit. My money would be on Max, but Ortega's something of a freak.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I can see Max boxing Ortega up comprehensively but having see Ortega put Edgar out cold I'm not entirely sure Ortega can't make the stand up spicy too.

Ortega's defence looked pretty drat tight aganist Moicano as well. I can never quite figure if Ortega is patient or complacent as a fighter.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I remember being astonished when UFC 139, which was a really good card, only did a bit over 300k.

That must seem like pretty good days, now.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

I rewatched this with a friend recently and not only is it a brilliant fight but it's probably the best fight to showcase the idea of MMA, involving all the aspects of it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Skip My Posts posted:

theres like 10-15 match ups id love to see holloway fight. even like khabib and poo poo

Him vs Zabit would be super fun before Zabit inevitably gasses throwing ridiculous spinning poo poo.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Feels like Dana letting Conor do whatever set a snowball going that hosed up basically everything.

Called it, BOOSH.

I think the many cards are fine as long as they have enough up and coming prospects to fill them, but it seems like attracting new talent (or building it up) is happening slower than it used to. I think the average quality fight is going up really quickly, but they're not telling people about it or getting people excited. I mean, when you've got a champion as awesome as Max Holloway and you're barely advertising a fight with someone as cool as Ortega...what the gently caress are you doing?

1st AD posted:

He was also good at being a petty rear end in a top hat and booking indie darlings to get squashed by a wrestler, like when he booked Antonio McKee to debut against Jacob Volkmann. Joe Silva really loved the sport and the cards always felt more fun when he was around.

His vindictiveness regarding Akiyama was something to behold.

david carmichael posted:

I think also joe silva was very good at making interesting match ups based on styles, and not being like "stephen thompson knows all the karate kicks. He should main event cards" and so on

Joe Silva was a massive nerd and a really dedicated guy. The fact that he tracked Joanna down himself when she was on no one else's radar is a great example.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

mewse posted:

I don't understand why UFC let Mousasi go. Rory's not a draw, Lyoto is shot.

As opposed to noted draw Gegard Mousasi. Both were really bad releases.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
What the gently caress happened in this thread?

Also, is Leon Edwards good or is Cowboy bad now? Cowboy had nothing for him, and Edwards shut him down at range, where Cowboy is usually the most dangerous.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It feels like we're getting more really good knock down, drag out kind of fights. I mean, we had Gaethje's run, but we've also had Brown/Cerrone, Medeiros/Oliveira, Kim/Reyes and probably some others.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I remember the Chuck fight making me briefly think that Rashad knew how to box.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

kensei posted:

The loudest any crowd I have ever been in was at the PDX BWW when Holy Holm KO'd Ronda Rousey. The women were screaming the most.

I was at the arena, and it was loving deafening. Then again, Melbournites are mad. The nice kind.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Hollandia posted:

:hfive:
That was wild.

When we arrived and Ben Ngyugen got a deafening cheer, I knew it was going to be a good crowd. It's a great arena, I went there for an AFL more recently and it's just top notch.

Also, we booed so hard that Rosholt didn't even get an interview. I've never seen that in MMA, a winner not getting interviewed. gently caress, what a fun day.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Have you ever watched with That Guy who is boggled that someone hasn't thrown a KO punch, and if THEY were in the ring, THEY would know how to land a killshot in the first five seconds, I mean, gosh, what are these guys thinking? They can't fight. I can fight better than that!

In my case, it was a pink haired girl who thought she was a dragon, but y'know, same difference.

Yeah, this is fun. In my case, it was also a girl, a six foot lesbian who really likes karate. She figured it out after the first few fights.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Vick's going to pick him apart.

If anyone hasn't seen his KO of Duffy, go watch it now.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Gay Horney posted:

I think Rose is in trouble if they pitch Andrade to her. Kk might be a better matchup with roses improved striking but it's kinda tough to see her winning either of those fights.

It was also very tough to see her beating JJ and here we are so who knows

Andrade is hittable as hell and has no ringcraft to speak of. She comes straight forward. She's a loving freak, though. I can equally see her getting her hands on Rose and pulling her apart and Rose landing a counter and flattening her.

tesilential posted:

Good. He fell off hurd (heh) as soon as he left that team takedown camp or w/e and started doing his own thing. The minute he decided to stop doing real camps and just hang out and eat with his daughters he was done. Like he lost all motivation once he won the belt.

His fall from grace was one of the greatest in the sport’s history.

I remember after the first Lawler fight, which is an amazing performance and a great fight, it seemed like he was going to be on top for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Skip My Posts posted:

drat they got the same reach

Max's reach isn't especially huge, but he has a great sense of it and fights really long. It's an easy mistake to make.

• Locked thread