Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

CM Punk won a lawsuit against a doctor who worked for the WWE. This doctor was reportedly trying to sue him for a million dollars.

https://twitter.com/bokamotoESPN/status/1004103684463132673

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Chael said the WWE gave him one serious offer to join their show, under one or two conditions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBNkTn6SHv0

Rigel fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 6, 2018

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Gay Horney posted:

I'm fuckin confused who's fighting who.

In the sport of fake fighting, they have a format called "tag team".

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Ad by Khad posted:

Is Punk at least the favorite going into this fight with a dead person

Currently on Bovada:

CM Punk +170
Mike Jackson -220

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Romero weighed in at 186, but they are giving him 2 more hours to cut that last pound. Everyone else made weight.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Ariel Helwani is currently torturing us by singing while waiting for Romero.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Romero has about 5 minutes left

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

185.2, Romero has missed weight

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Hopefully the bout still happens, Whittaker now has nothing to lose and there's good money to be made.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Bad luck for him that Illinois is using a 0.2 electronic scale. In states that use a mechanical scale or that use a 0.5 scale, they would have rounded down and certified his weight at 185.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Bluedeanie posted:

Its supposed to be dead on for any title fight regardless of commission, isn't it? I know Nick Diaz tried to make a stink that they rounded down GSP's weight in Montreal for their fight but now that I write that out I realize it has little bearing on reality.

Yes, but if you are using a scale that only displays .0 and .5, then it will probably round down.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Waroduce posted:

Idg the Khabib belt thing, like yeah he was 25-0 or whatever but he never fought s champion or #1 or 2 for the belt right? Like he fought some loving scrub on two days notice. Like if the fight needs to happen cause of ppv and poo poo well let it happen but don't crown his rear end for beating some scrub tier fighter

Most of us don't have any problem with Khabib getting the belt at all because its more or less universally agreed that he was the top contender. The people saying that Iaquinta "exposed" him are morons who took Joe Rogan's call too seriously.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Skip My Posts posted:

I think the scales are very accurate. They’re all playing by the same rules and it’s the same guys that miss weight over and over

Exactly, if the scales truly had massive, random error then the fighters who miss weight would also be mostly random. It wouldn't be the same loving guy over and over again.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Claudia Gadelha: cheater

https://twitter.com/MMAFighting/status/1006264881467875328

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Ginette Reno posted:

Dana being angry at Mike Jackson for not finishing Punk is dumb. Jackson did Punk a favor by not hurting him.

Like I get Punk signed up for it and blah blah but Punk is incredibly lucky that both Gall and Jackson were nice enough not to give him permanent brain damage with a nasty ko punch. Both were capable of doing that. Gall certainly, but even Jackson is a way better striker than Punk.

I get being mad he clowned around but really it's for the best that he didn't hurt Punk. Does anyone really wanna see a guy who is never gonna fight in the UFC again get the poo poo beat out of him?

In the sport of MMA, we have a 3rd guy in the cage who usually wears a black shirt. He is the referee, and its his job to stop the fight when someone is no longer able to defend themselves.

Doing just enough damage so that the ref is constantly close to stopping the fight, but then steps back when you ease up, is not being kind or doing him a favor. Its what you do when you want to hurt someone as much as you possibly can. It was actually cruel on top of being dumb.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

NV's AC has selected the referees for UFC 226. Herb Dean will handle the FW title fight, and Marc Goddard will work the main event between Miocic and Cormier.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Marching Powder posted:

150k? that card was stacked..... full of people normal people don't know.

This early number from the LA Times is now looking wrong. There aren't solid numbers yet, but Meltzer says today that the card did "far above 150k". Not sure yet how far is "far above".

It never felt right to me that this stacked card somehow did only 150k

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Matt Lindland posted:

Hey Conor's being sentenced today so if someone could go back and find every insane thing rigel posted and quote them all right before the news article saying hes getting 2 years probation, community service, and a 8,000 dollar fine I'd appreciate it.

I never said he was going to be sentenced to anything. At the time we were curious about what normal people would potentially be looking at, it was always understood that wealthy people with good attorneys can get a more favorable deal.

Also, Conor is not being sentenced today, and you would know that if you were paying any attention to this story at all.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I.N.R.I posted:

there maybe isn't one but it could be circumstancial evidence of match fixing so it would be pretty damning if there was any other reason to suspect you were taking a dive. if you fight your hardest and still lose thats one thing but then you would never really be betting on yourself to lose .. so i dunno .. i guess you could get away with it, but you can get away with a lot of stuff if you dont get caught.

According to google, its definitely illegal to bribe someone to lose a fight, but I'm having a hard time finding that its illegal to bet on yourself to lose and then deliberately lose. It should be, but maybe it isn't.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Generally speaking, Melzer is the best source we have for PPV numbers (he's currently saying higher than 150k, but not sure yet how much higher). Anything the UFC says about any topic except maybe fights or USADA suspensions should not be trusted without verification.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Matt Lindland posted:

He's a clown and a joke. His legacy is trash. gently caress that fat crying fraud.

I don't know about that, Jon Jones is young enough to rebuild his legacy.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

UFC 225 had about 250,000 buys

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/6/19/17477986/ufc-225-is-estimated-at-250000-buys

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Bluedeanie posted:

Yeah, I think that if they went back to the schedule they used to keep of one ppv a month and maybe one extra tv card that month they would do a lot better on average and have better shows now that they've gotten more eyes and more coverage.

They make a hell of a lot more money by having 3-4 cards a month, though. You occasionally have a stinker where the arena is mostly empty, but thats rare, most of these shows sell very well, and their TV contracts (soon TV+streaming) depend on delivering the volume. Huge PPV's are not as important to the bottom line anymore, they are now just a nice bonus when they get marketable stars.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

1st AD posted:

Even that’s not really working - Conor just kind of comes and goes as he pleases, losing his belts doesn’t matter. Or the utter failure of having Khabib/Tony happen. Or GSP stealing Michael Bisping’s heat and then running down to 155.

It does work for most champions. If you are a PPV superstar then you dont need to care about the belt, youll get paid every time you fight. For everyone else, if they are not the champ, then its a big pay cut for them to lose the belt.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1010228882715435009

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

90s Rememberer posted:

some things don't make big enough of a difference to be blanket made illegal at all times (like out of competition marijuana use). I'd be fine with weed testing if there was a "are you high on the day of the fight" test but it doesn't exist and what does only serves to gently caress up matchmaking and careers. at the end of the day, if we want a safer and more fair sport the thing to do is get rid of weight cutting, not go after weed or IV using fighters with another garbage government run organization like USADA. the athletic commissions are bad enough, we don't need enforcement agents visiting fighters to watch them pee

IV's are banned because of blood doping, and there's nothing to test for that other than plastic from the IV.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

This probably won't come as a shock to anyone, but Gastelum says Dana White lied about the UFC relying on him to be the back-up plan for Romero. He was willing to stay ready in case they needed him, but he wasn't going to diet and train for free, he wanted money to be the backup plan, and the UFC wanted him to stay ready for free. So Gastelum told the UFC he wasn't going to stay ready if they weren't going to pay, and he went to Cancun. The UFC called him Wednesday night because they were worried Romero wouldn't make weight, but Gastelum was about 205 at that point, and couldn't cut that much weight in 1.5 days.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/6/25/17502314/kelvin-gastelum-says-he-was-dumbfounded-by-dana-whites-post-ufc-225-comments

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Namajunas said on Helwani's show today that she's recovering from some kind of an injury, and won't be able to fight until maybe the end of the year at the earliest.

edit: She said she's still shook up mentally from the bus incident, and when Conor tried to apologize to her on instagram she told him gently caress that, that if he really wanted to apologize, then he should call and talk to her and gave him a number to call, but he never responded.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 25, 2018

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Rashad Evans has announced his retirement.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Machida said that when Coker gave him an offer to join Bellator, he also asked Machida to promise that he wouldn't shop the offer, and the offer was so good that he couldn't refuse. The UFC then matched Bellator's offer, but Machida said he already gave his word to Coker. I guess the UFC did not expect Bellator to offer whatever it was they did offer.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The UFC is sticking with early weigh-ins for international fight week. I'm guessing they may be having some difficulty convincing the AC's to go back to later weigh-ins given all the medical evidence against it.

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1012719262643957760

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Do "kids" really watch MMA?

https://twitter.com/danawhite/status/1012802770334879744

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Jerusalem posted:

That's loving awesome.

I'm pretty surprised by this decision. I thought it would be easy to call them independant contractors and tell Leslie Smith to hit the bricks. I have nothing against her, but I didn't think she would win, and she still hasn't yet.

If after whatever happens from here all the various boards and courts eventually say that its final that UFC fighters are employees, then its hard to say what that'll mean for the sport of MMA, but that would be very, very bad for WME.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Jerusalem posted:

It could also (conceivably) have knock-on effects for pro-wrestling, because WWE classify their wrestlers as independent contractors too but have far stricter and more draconian restrictions on their "talent" than UFC and have been getting away with some incredibly shady poo poo for decades now.

The possibility for comedy and chaos is more likely in the timeline where they are all determined to be employees, so I think I'm now rooting for that to happen. That also is probably better for the fighters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Mekchu posted:

Is it because they still have debt from the purchase they can't pay off?

No, thats a sunk cost. It would be because the value of the UFC where their roster are all employees would be quite a bit less than the value of the roster where everyone is an independent contractor.

• Locked thread