Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Regarding buyrates, I've become very skeptical that anything other than the top 1-2 fights actually matters, and I think UFC feels the same way. Why put Cerrone in the 3rd or 4th fight of a card if it won't add more than a few thousand buys, when he can be a TV main event that fills an arena and draws a couple million viewers? Why try to load up a card to bolster a weak main event if that only increases the buyrate from 140k to 145k? Etc.

Fans who make the biggest shows blockbusters ignore the small shows entirely, and thus burnout isn't really a factor.

I do think that 8-10 PPVs a year would make a lot more sense, since the company just doesn't have enough people who draw 300k to warrant 12. Fewer PPVs, most with multiple title fights would make the company less vulnerable to having events sunk by single injuries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Where are you guys watching the fights where there’s so much energy? Every time I’ve tried going to BW3 to watch a card, there’s been pretty much no one paying any attention. There might be one guy in a novelty wife-beater somewhat loudly explaining the fights (incorrectly) to his bros.

Maybe Royal Oak just sucks.
Only like 1-3 PPVs a year are big events that pack bars and BWWs. For the rest you'll have sparse crowds with only a handful of them watching.

• Locked thread