Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Archonex posted:

It does have a neat little tie in though.

There's a note you can find that infers that the whole thing was one massive gently caress up. Albeit, it's a fairly clever one. It infers that inexperienced vamps can accidentally mind wipe the people they try to hypnotize either through poorly chosen words or just not knowing how to handle their powers. On top of that I doubt he literally wanted to destroy her only means of getting paid to survive the epidemic. Though that was what ends up happening if you go that route. Hell, she even gets Skal'd I think. It makes me wonder if the outcome would be different if you picked that up and read it first.

Still pissed there isn't an option to pal around with Mary. If anything needs a patch it's giving us the option to not kill her all over again. Hell, if you're going for a no-kill run she has no real reason to want to die, outside of being a vampire is clearly not her deal. Whereas if you've killed even one person via draining her reasoning is somewhat sound in that your previously noble reasons for persisting are tainted because you're a blood hungry murderer.

The lore explanation is definitely what they were going for. You basically break her mind so much that she becomes careless and gets bitten, which is why she disappears. Talk to Petrescu afterwards, he gives you the lowdown even though he hates your guts. She was still practicing up to that point. It's a very Alpha Protocol unintended effect thing, but the reasoning is sound. It is definitely a gotcha to address a too-easy solution to the problem. Solutions have to have consequences, and you have to take a risk doing something that might come back to bite you. Hampton on the other hand was kinda hosed, because if he can subsist on dead bodies why the gently caress would I want to [Turn] him and make him another obligate bloodsucker? The mechanics of that exchange weren't very well explained even if you paid attention until the endgame. [Turn] implies you somehow make him an Ekon with your blood, not stabilize him but leave him a Skal. I mean the guy definitely gave me the fuckin' willies, but after Dorothea I figured the easy blue option was definitely going to gently caress me and instead go with the sensible white option. Dontnod, fuckin' reverse psych fuckers :argh:

All the fuckups ultimately end up being kinda satisfying too. You get to see these neat ripple effects and the people who go missing end up having kinda cool dialogue (as enemies once you find them) that ties into their own plots. Also you get almost as much XP from killing their asses as you would have for embracing them without having it count against your kill count.

Before the endgame I made a victory lap embracing all the wicked fuckers I thought had it coming. I hosed up with Sean Hampton and wiped out like 5 dudes from that alone, merked Seymour (that was a net positive in my book, don't know what was up with that kid though, he was probably like the Devil incarnate or something), and then looped back for Edwina Cox, which even though everyone remaining was healthy plunged the Docks into hostile territory and I'm pretty sure hosed my ending. But whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I did the Sean Hampton stuff and feel like I missed something or it was written weird?

So everyone thought Sean the Skal killed people and broke that woman out of the hospital. OK, cool. And before I talked to him people were saying he's some kind of super angry dude, while other people were all 'He's the Sad Saint, he was molested, he's actually really cool'

So then I got to him and talked to him and... he is a Skal but he's only eating people that are already dead, and he's running a homeless shelter for humans and skals both and is a really nice guy. So I chose to Turn him which I thought was gonna make him a vampire but instead it just "cured" him so that now he doesn't need to eat... anything at all? And it turns out everything was just a big misunderstanding?

That about right? If there's something coming later because of what I did, that's cool, but I'm still a bit confused about the whole setup in the first place.

Also has anyone else found the two gay war veterans? Their story is so sad but also kinda :3: and it's gonna be really hard to eat them on my "EVERRRRYOOOONE" run.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

precision posted:

I did the Sean Hampton stuff and feel like I missed something or it was written weird?

So everyone thought Sean the Skal killed people and broke that woman out of the hospital. OK, cool. And before I talked to him people were saying he's some kind of super angry dude, while other people were all 'He's the Sad Saint, he was molested, he's actually really cool'

So then I got to him and talked to him and... he is a Skal but he's only eating people that are already dead, and he's running a homeless shelter for humans and skals both and is a really nice guy. So I chose to Turn him which I thought was gonna make him a vampire but instead it just "cured" him so that now he doesn't need to eat... anything at all? And it turns out everything was just a big misunderstanding?

That about right? If there's something coming later because of what I did, that's cool, but I'm still a bit confused about the whole setup in the first place.

Also has anyone else found the two gay war veterans? Their story is so sad but also kinda :3: and it's gonna be really hard to eat them on my "EVERRRRYOOOONE" run.

IIRC there's bit of lore that helps clear the thing up somewhat: By default, skal are bound to degenerate over time, becoming ever more ravenous until they're essentially feral like the rando skal you run into in the streets. Sean might be cool for the moment, but it's gonna be a downward spiral and eventually he's gonna crack, no matter his intentions. However, ekon blood has the unique property to halt this degeneration for good, which is what that particular choice actually does. Let's just say that if you had let him run free without that, the consequences would have been... less than ideal.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The head writer teased that there's a Nemrod in-game that you don't realize is one. Any indication who it is? Talltree maybe?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm in the west end district and I'm having a hell of a time finding the citizens. I'm still looking for all but one of the bottom row, as well as the two people in the top right corner of the overview screen. Are they locked behind the main quest progression or something?

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

double nine posted:

I'm in the west end district and I'm having a hell of a time finding the citizens. I'm still looking for all but one of the bottom row, as well as the two people in the top right corner of the overview screen. Are they locked behind the main quest progression or something?

Yeah. Six of them are in an area behind a quarantine wall. You're sent to the other side as part of the main quest. And one is unlocked through a quick side quest.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Yeah. Six of them are in an area behind a quarantine wall. You're sent to the other side as part of the main quest. And one is unlocked through a quick side quest.

I think I've unlocked that one, is she the one you find after a puzzle in the park sewers?

Something else, I think my game bugged out/I found an exploit.There is a merchant in the western docks near the shelter, the young rear end in a top hat man who takes advantage of a poor old woman with dementia, the player character will comment that the guy sucks at commerce. Turns out he really sucks at commerce, because I can purchase all of his stuff for free. AND he gives me money for me selling stuff to him, which I can then buy back for the steep price of zero shillings. So I can effectively use him to get infinity money, by buying and selling all of my supplies back to him.

I'm assuming this is a bug, did anyone else have this "issue"?

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

double nine posted:

I think I've unlocked that one, is she the one you find after a puzzle in the park sewers?

Something else, I think my game bugged out/I found an exploit.There is a merchant in the western docks near the shelter, the young rear end in a top hat man who takes advantage of a poor old woman with dementia, the player character will comment that the guy sucks at commerce. Turns out he really sucks at commerce, because I can purchase all of his stuff for free. AND he gives me money for me selling stuff to him, which I can then buy back for the steep price of zero shillings. So I can effectively use him to get infinity money, by buying and selling all of my supplies back to him.

I'm assuming this is a bug, did anyone else have this "issue"?

Not much to spend your ill-gotten earnings on though aside from Tarot card readings.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

double nine posted:

I forgot about that one. Two of them are unlocked through sidequests then.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Chickenwalker posted:

Not much to spend your ill-gotten earnings on though aside from Tarot card readings.

Once I got to the West End I spent like 900 shillings on upgrade parts.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

question about chapter 5: after I exited the theatre at the end of chapter 4, I hopped down and attacked and killed a couple of human mooks. Only afterwards did the game give me the next objective (defend the [...]). Was there a choice there that I screwed up by attacking the food humans?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm not sure 2H weapons are worth giving up the versatility of having both a level 5 shotgun that shoots fire and a Stake that can stun vampire enemies in one hit. Right now I'm still rolling with the rusty hacksaw and the hatchet.

Thoughts on the best Ultimate? I picked the one that turns an enemy into a blood bomb, which seems great because it also locks that enemy down for a few seconds.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

algebra testes posted:

Has anyone just played through sucking everyone off? Does that effect the game in any way?

Generally, everyone has a really satisfied look on their faces whenever you see them.

To be serious there supposedly are a variety of endings, including one where every last bit of London turns into a Skal infested nightmare/basically the city from Bloodborne.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 21, 2018

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I wish that using up all your ammo/serums in a boss fight attempt didn't mean you have to create/buy more for every attempt. I know why the devs did it, but it means I never use them.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I wish that using up all your ammo/serums in a boss fight attempt didn't mean you have to create/buy more for every attempt. I know why the devs did it, but it means I never use them.

It's funny you guys are saying this, because every time I died I always came back with less ammo, but I definitely still had at least one clip on every respawn. The way the reload boxes worked didn't make much sense to me. I guess they just stockpiled any excess you had?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IShallRiseAgain posted:

If you're looting properly you should have way more than enough materials for serums even if you're using them like constantly.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I specced for blood drain and healing and I feel like I never need to use serums because I can just land a few hits to fill my blood bar, do my Legacy of Kane bloodsteal move, and then heal myself. I'm only in Chapter 3 though so maybe it gets harder later and I'll need them.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Well my no-embrace run is about to die after I let Swansea die a human rather than turn him into a monster. Hospital committed mass suicide after I handed out some medicines and slept to respec, apparently I should not have gone as deep into the abilities as I did so I'm getting hilariously owned.

I'm pretty close to either putting the game down or committing mass murder while yelling gently caress it, which I think is kind of the developer's intentions?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Well my no-embrace run is about to die after I let Swansea die a human rather than turn him into a monster. Hospital committed mass suicide after I handed out some medicines and slept to respec, apparently I should not have gone as deep into the abilities as I did so I'm getting hilariously owned.

I'm pretty close to either putting the game down or committing mass murder while yelling gently caress it, which I think is kind of the developer's intentions?

I did a no-embrace run and, in terms of game endings, there is only one thing that seems to matter: how many people you ate. It's possible that London also different ending conditions but I don't think I saw those? I did do what you didn't though so maybe that has an impact?

I would persevere if I were you though - you're very close to the end of the game. And it turns out that a phosphorous shotgun does insane amounts of damage to the undead, who'd have thunk it.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

double nine posted:

I did a no-embrace run and, in terms of game endings, there is only one thing that seems to matter: how many people you ate. It's possible that London also different ending conditions but I don't think I saw those? I did do what you didn't though so maybe that has an impact?

I would persevere if I were you though - you're very close to the end of the game. And it turns out that a phosphorous shotgun does insane amounts of damage to the undead, who'd have thunk it.

Well I did. I got the ending where Lady Ashbury and Jonathan go to America to have adventures in science and not killing people. Internet says this is the best ending, and I got the not even once achievement despite London being in pretty bad shape.

At first I was super annoyed by the Red Queen being immune to bite, but she turned out to be easy enough to kite to death.

Whoever came up with the bite build for a no-kill playthough is a genius - I respecced again to that and the combat was much easier.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Oh wow this game is so Deus Ex. Most of your time spent walking around perpetually dark streets talking social justice with total strangers, each one as eloquent as the next. Feels nostalgic.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Holy downloads, Batman! 8.3 GB update!?

woodenchicken posted:

Oh wow this game is so Deus Ex. Most of your time spent walking around perpetually dark streets talking social justice with total strangers, each one as eloquent as the next. Feels nostalgic.

Seconding this.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It’s not nearly as nuts as DX, unfortunately.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Holy downloads, Batman! 8.3 GB update!?
Didn't know it was so hard to fix skipping several lines of dialogue at a time, but I'm game, Dontnod!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Maybe it was the start menus?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
:pwn:

quote:

We're happy to release Vampyr's first update!

Thanks for your help last week with the Beta patch to ensure a smooth release today. This first update mainly contains bug fixes of issues you reported in the past weeks, as well as a few features suggested here.

We continue to read your feedback and suggestions in forums and social networks and you can expect bigger patches in the coming months.

Please find the changelog below:

New Features:
Walk can now be used as a held input or a toggled input.
The Recovering Icon is now properly displayed when a citizen is healing
Fixes:
Switching targets can now be done with the mouse wheel.
During the cutscene between Dorothy and Darius, Dorothy will now properly be shown. A new playthrough is needed for this.
Fixed an issue where Sean Hampton was stuck in a chair while reloading during certain dialogues.
Fixed an issue where spoiler characters would incorrectly spawn.
Fixed an issue where Tom Watts’s sidequest would be blocked while performing a medical checkup mid-choice
Fixed an issue where players were able to escape the map in Southwark
Optimised the in-game menus
Fixed an issue where in-game and in-menu serum icons were inverted.
Fixed an issue where players were unable to change inventory page using KB/M
Green flickering should no longer occur
Fixed an issue where Camelia’s dialogue would stay locked, even with all hints unlocked.
Various other fixes

Doesn't seem like it should have been that large...

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
It makes sense for it to have been either an audio or a graphical change at that size, maybe there were some videos they had to swap out.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Just beat the game last night. That... was kind of a sudden ending?

I think I got an okay-ish ending? It said "London is saved" but gave no specific details about any of the districts. I kind of expected it to say... something, anything about all those people I didn't eat. What happened with Sean, who I cured?? What happened with Whitechapel, which went Hostile and had everyone die in it??? I got no information other than "I saved London, my vampire lover babe stepped into some flames for reasons, and her dad was Sir William... okay???

Like I'm not upset at all because the game was so good but the ending is kind of a non-starter.

Oh well, I'm already kinda psyched to start a new game. Just not sure if I want to do "no kills" or "all kills" first.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

precision posted:

Just beat the game last night. That... was kind of a sudden ending?

I think I got an okay-ish ending? It said "London is saved" but gave no specific details about any of the districts. I kind of expected it to say... something, anything about all those people I didn't eat. What happened with Sean, who I cured?? What happened with Whitechapel, which went Hostile and had everyone die in it??? I got no information other than "I saved London, my vampire lover babe stepped into some flames for reasons, and her dad was Sir William... okay???

Like I'm not upset at all because the game was so good but the ending is kind of a non-starter.

Oh well, I'm already kinda psyched to start a new game. Just not sure if I want to do "no kills" or "all kills" first.

No kills has a bigger ending difference, I think.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Wolpertinger posted:

No kills has a bigger ending difference, I think.

Yeah and considering how easy the game is, is probably a lot more fun. Seriously if you Embrace even a few people you are so OP it's dumb. The last boss took me about 2 minutes and I didn't have to use a single Serum. I never even crafted the strongest Serums.

Are there optional bosses I missed that are hard? I went everywhere but I clearly missed some stuff because I had missing Hints for several people, including the bartender and the waitress.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

yeah you can, it's good OP

I'm sorry, am I missing :thejoke:? Because from what I understand you play as Dr. generic mcvampire white man. got me all excited at work for a character creation system.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I'm sorry, am I missing :thejoke:? Because from what I understand you play as Dr. generic mcvampire white man. got me all excited at work for a character creation system.

Excuse me, his name is Dr. Acula.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Sorry Mitch

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What's the deal with the room in the church basement next to the fortune teller? There's obviously a hidden passage mechanism there but I could never get it open and nobody ever asked me to.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

precision posted:

What's the deal with the room in the church basement next to the fortune teller? There's obviously a hidden passage mechanism there but I could never get it open and nobody ever asked me to.

If you do Usher's quest without reading his journal, he gives you a scroll with a hint on how to open it, and you can get a sword and an achievement. The combo to open it is randomized, so you do need the scroll to solve it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Next question, there's actually a trophy for saving the plant in your office. HOW?! Only like 1% of players have got it.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

precision posted:

Next question, there's actually a trophy for saving the plant in your office. HOW?! Only like 1% of players have got it.

I remember reading up on it, somewhere in the fourth city quarter you should be able to pick up water somewhere but I don't remember where.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

double nine posted:

I remember reading up on it, somewhere in the fourth city quarter you should be able to pick up water somewhere but I don't remember where.

In West End in the section where you rescued Kimura, north of Reid Manor, there's a blue boarded up shop behind a guardrail where you can open the door.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Also it is extremely rude that the game doesn't tell you that it's better not to munch on guys mid-combat.

Sure, you get a bit of blood and some iframes and it means you get some stamina back too.

But against smaller enemy numbers and against bosses, it's better to just let them stand back up. You can use the time to regenerate all your stamina, and their stun-meter only refills to half, and they don't improve their stun resistance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
But where do you get the blood, and don't say rats, I'm doing a no-rat run

• Locked thread