Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

what is glass..... but tortured sand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

who the gently caress left that line in there

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I just wrapped up the first round of "get all the hospital denizens' life stories" and at the very least it doesn't look like there's an abundance of exclusive dialogue choices that can lock you into a branch. But they look like they might still be there.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Probably better than KB+M tbh

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I wouldn’t compare this to Bloodlines, mainly because it’s absolutely humorless and the pacing is mind-numbingly slack, which to me is an unforgivable sin in a game clearly meant to be replayed. The first few hours are Peragus Station-caliber dull. It even has the problem people were afraid Pillars of Eternity 2 could have had but ended up avoiding - everyone is voiced but subtitles are doled out in parcels, so it’s impossible to read faster than people talk. Conversations are very slow.

And while Bloodlines was no fantasia, the look and design of locations was deliberate and gave them character. Besides the x-ray vision there’s no real style to the look of Vampyr. Postwar London at night has all oppressiveness of a Soulsborne town with none of the invention or atmosphere.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 6, 2018

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I’m not even really sure why they put in a skip dialogue function, since it doesn’t jump lines, it jumps characters. If a conversant has three lines before passing back to Reid, it will go straight to Reid if you hit x on the first line.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Lodin posted:

Why the hell are you skipping dialogue in a game like this?
Because I keep hoping the next thing to be said will be interesting. The only reason to go through character exposition is to unlock the things that aren’t exposition and are actually potentially worth listening to / provide meat for the choices you will make an hour or two down the line when you’ve unlocked all the context - that is, the unlocked secrets and revealed character relationships. I don’t need to hear for the fourth time that Pembroke is strained and dirty.

Contrast this with, say, Pillars 2. There is just as much exposition, probably more, but it gives you carrots by plugging into disposition and character relationship systems. That makes it go down easier. Also you can skim the flabbier writing and push forward at your own pace.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

To make the bloodlines comparison, Bloodlines’ dialogue was never boring, the VA was usually excellent, and it was backed up with bafflingly good character animation. Even when I play it for the nth time I still sit through every conversation.

From what I’ve played I think I’d compare Vampyr more to Alpha Protocol than anything - macro-level reactivity, emphasis on dialogue and leveraging research in dialogue, dreary combat and environmental design, boss fights that add nothing to the game - but played at 1/10 speed and 0% of the wit. It’s basically, how much would you like Alpha Protocol in an open world and Mass Effect dialogue design / writing? The answer to that goes a long way toward predicting how much you’ll enjoy Vampyr

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Also, what if Alpha Protocol only gave you the pistol skill win button if you took the psycho rear end in a top hat path?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

There’s nothing half as cool as getting into an argument with a stop sign in this game. Two stars

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

In this game the Stop sign is the sole caregiver for four signlets but is drinking itself blind on ethyl alcohol bc it got conned out of its life savings by a charming Yield sign.

But wait, the Yield sign used that money to found a grammar school for chimneysweeps. It’s a world of nuance out there

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

if by universal health care you mean euthanasia for all, you've described my approach to this game

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I don't particularly mind that the fabric of neighborhoods is fragile even when you cut out the parasites. It works far better than, say, the Witcher's attempts at the same kind of relativism. The settings are similarly bleak and corrupt, but one game is unfailingly cynical and the other shoots for a kind of daring, bullheaded optimism. Vampyr's full of ego tripping bullies and petty thugs but you can't really say it has contempt for any of its characters, whereas the Witcher is wall to wall grotesques and / or sociopaths.

In large part this is due to Vampyr's relative humorlessness, which makes playing the game kind of a slog but contributes to the success of the project in gestalt, I guess.

The problem with Vampyr is its level / encounter design and pacing. It would have been so much more palatable with a hub-and-spoke layout like Bloodlines', if not a full-on linear adventure game structure, but everything's gotta have sprawl these days if they're going to sell for retail price.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It’s not nearly as nuts as DX, unfortunately.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The main problem with the combat is that the world levels were designed around it

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

More details of the vampyr show coming to Fox - it’s to be shepherded by McG, most famous for directing the Terminator sequel with Christian Bale and ALL of Sugar Ray’s peak-period music videos (not to mention the video for Smash Mouth’s “All Star”) - https://news.avclub.com/fox-and-mcg-developing-tv-adaptation-of-weird-horror-ga-1828395371

Given the pedigree and the network I expect this to either die quietly or live for a maximum of one season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I kind of want to see how badly McG can botch a Soderbergh clone job

• Locked thread