Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I trust DONTNOD and it looks really good :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yeah a lot of the reviews seem like people who were not aware the studio's previous game was Life is Strange

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Baby Babbeh posted:

The plot description and general tension between taking the easy way and saving people sounded more Pathologic to me than Dark Souls. Is it like that? Because I would love a slightly less janky Pathologic.

i am given to understand this is a mega story based RPG from the creators of noted action game Life is Strange, and that anyone expecting it to be anything even remotely like Dark Souls is gonna be in for a world of disappointment

e: i was gonna go ahead and pick it up and start playing but PSN is being stupid right now and i am way too lazy to go out just to buy some PSN cards, i'll grab it in a couple days after some more goons play it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rookersh posted:

Suck off those murderers, serial killers, rapists, and baddies to protect the actual innocent all you want.

some version of this needs to be the new thread title

edit: Vampyr: Suck off serial killers to protect the streets of London.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i'm just now farting around in the hospital and game seems pretty drat good so far. i kinda like the combat in its simplicity and i appreciate having Bloodspear as a "just gently caress off" button.

is there any point to gathering Hints if i'm not planning on eating these people though? like i'm 99% sure i'm not ever gonna even consider munching down on Mother Theresa over here.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
OK yeah I'm really digging the game a lot now. And I actually enjoy the combat.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Game just keeps getting better. But when should I start considering eating people?

I'm in Whitechapel, and already level 14. I've Embraced one person so far - after I finished Crazy Lady Who Thinks She's a Vampire's quest, I bit her. If I'm being honest, a lot of the reason I did it was because I hadn't eaten anyone yet so far and was thinking I might as well since her plot seemed mostly done

I've found a few Bad Hombres that I might feel okay about eating, but I assume I should progress until I have all their Hints unlocked?

When does the game get hard? Even at level 6 I was able to take out level 16 monsters by just being careful and abusing the hell out of the "Stun, Bite, Claws, dodge backwards, Claws, repeat" combo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

double nine posted:

Goddamned I ... I charmed the nurse in the blackmail quest in chapter 2, and I think this is one of those Alpha Protocol situations where the consequences of the decision aren't the ones I intended. gently caress's sake game. eugh, fine I'm going to see where it leads but now I'm very annoyed.

Haha I did the same thing, and because of what happened I've decided to lean into being slightly-evil. I've Embraced like 3 people now. It gets easier every time...

Since I'm so early I'm kinda considering doing an "eat everyone" run first and then an Eat Nobody run. Talking to people doesn't get you much XP so an Eat Nobody run should be the quickest, because you only have to talk to people about things that give you quests and can ignore the Hints (or just mash Square through all the dialogue).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
How many chapters is this game? I'm in chapter 3 and have 3 sidequests that all want me to go to places I've never been yet (Southwark, the West Docks) that I've had since chapter 1.

Also I've yet to find a single person who it would be unquestionably good to murder. Where the bad people at?

Are the vampire hunters human? If so, why can't I talk to/Embrace them? Why do they all know to attack me if I get anywhere near them?

The second person I Embraced was Mortimer, after learning that he's suicidal. Dr. Kevorkian, at your service.

I like that there are things you can learn about people that aren't spoon fed to you (the times where you have to be around at the right time and use Vampire Sight to know that you can "observe" them, and then you have to find the right place to Observe from). That mechanic alone could be used to make a pure non-combat detective game. poo poo just release a version of this game with more NPCs as a Sherlock game.

edit: To people complaining about having to run around giving everyone cures every day, you don't actually ever have to cure anyone unless you're going to Embrace them, right? They don't ever like, die of Headache or whatever, do they? I know curing people slightly raises the zone's Safety rating but assuming you're not eating everyone that shouldn't be a concern anyway, right?

precision fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 17, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

double nine posted:

Do the npcs you meet have more stuff to talk about after you get to a specific chapter, or is for example barkeep Tom always gonna say the same stuff?

I noticed once that doing a major quest (I believe it was the end of Chapter 2) gave a lot of the NPCs a few new things to talk about. Probably not everyone, but it seems that some people definitely do get more dialogue as the plot moves forward.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So on PS4 sometimes pressing the touch pad doesn't take you directly to a letter or whatever if you pick one up, always make sure and manually go read it (Quest Items are arranged by most recent) as you won't actually get the Quest or the Hint if you don't do that.

One cool thing I like is that for every person you Embrace, you get a unique fight, and if you Charm the nurse she turns into a real nasty level 24 vampire that I managed to kill at level 14 :black101:

Overall the map is really not bad to get around in what with all the shortcuts you open up but the Southwark Bridge is annoying and thankfully there are only like three quests there. But still gently caress that place.

Also I just met the gooniest "vampire hunter".

Game owns.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's widely accepted that the entire modern concept of the vampire is just one big sexual metaphor.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hipster Occultist posted:

Question about Whitechapel and Dorothy crane;

so I apparently hosed up by charming her and now she's dead. Is it possible to raise the status of the district past serious or I am going to keep fighting just to keep it there?

It's been almost Critical for me since then because the blind guy who won't even talk to you without 3 Mesmerize kept getting sicker and sicker.

I just finished chapter 3 and I actually loved that boss fight, and also loved the story cutscenes involved. This game is really good!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Chickenwalker posted:

If they make a sequel it's going to be about AIDS isn't it? Or is that too touchy? Having the next chapter skip to the 80s in the midst of the AIDS crisis in San Francisco...Haight-Ashbury anyone? Or maybe the 60s with lots of psychedelics. Could be pretty cool. Dontnod doesn't typically bathe in the same stream twice though, does it?

oh man a sequel set in 70s San Fran where you hang out at leather bars would be amazing :allears:

Also pursuant to my earlier post, I'm now 99% certain that Claws deals Shadow damage and is not considered Melee. I believe the resistance for Melee literally just means "Melee weapons", same with Ranged - Blood Spear is Shadow, not Ranged damage as well.

I know this must be true because guys who are Melee resistant take the full 250+ damage from Claws while taking half damage from my Hacksaw.

edit: actually Bloodspear is probably Blood damage, duh

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I do hope the game is selling well enough for some balance patches too. I definitely want to run through the game at least twice more (kill nobody and kill everybody) and I think they could probably add in fast travel between hideouts to make running the laps to cure people less painful.

At the same time, running laps to cure people has led me to find a lot of quest/lore pieces in random garbage that I had overlooked before, and as long as you open up all the shortcuts it's really nbd to run across the map especially since there are no loading screens and most enemies can be run past.

Maybe just patch it so that people don't get sick as easily. For some reason, the first time I rested after finding the Hospital, like 6 people got sick all at once, and that's the only time that's happened.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Glenn Quebec posted:

Ok, so you're kind of like the only vampire in town? Not dealing with a secret cabal or anything?

Oh no, that definitely is part of it. But you don't get to that until Chapter 4.

That's also when the difficulty ramps up, good thing I have a Level 5 shotgun that shoots fire bullets.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
lmao i was getting my rear end kinda kicked by the guys you start fighting in the West End that have access to all the same moves as you do and then i remembered "vampires hate stakes"

seriously one hit stuns them with a level 3 Priwen Stake

i wish there were a way to wield Stake/Gun at the same time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I did the Sean Hampton stuff and feel like I missed something or it was written weird?

So everyone thought Sean the Skal killed people and broke that woman out of the hospital. OK, cool. And before I talked to him people were saying he's some kind of super angry dude, while other people were all 'He's the Sad Saint, he was molested, he's actually really cool'

So then I got to him and talked to him and... he is a Skal but he's only eating people that are already dead, and he's running a homeless shelter for humans and skals both and is a really nice guy. So I chose to Turn him which I thought was gonna make him a vampire but instead it just "cured" him so that now he doesn't need to eat... anything at all? And it turns out everything was just a big misunderstanding?

That about right? If there's something coming later because of what I did, that's cool, but I'm still a bit confused about the whole setup in the first place.

Also has anyone else found the two gay war veterans? Their story is so sad but also kinda :3: and it's gonna be really hard to eat them on my "EVERRRRYOOOONE" run.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Chickenwalker posted:

Not much to spend your ill-gotten earnings on though aside from Tarot card readings.

Once I got to the West End I spent like 900 shillings on upgrade parts.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm not sure 2H weapons are worth giving up the versatility of having both a level 5 shotgun that shoots fire and a Stake that can stun vampire enemies in one hit. Right now I'm still rolling with the rusty hacksaw and the hatchet.

Thoughts on the best Ultimate? I picked the one that turns an enemy into a blood bomb, which seems great because it also locks that enemy down for a few seconds.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I wish that using up all your ammo/serums in a boss fight attempt didn't mean you have to create/buy more for every attempt. I know why the devs did it, but it means I never use them.

If you're looting properly you should have way more than enough materials for serums even if you're using them like constantly.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Just beat the game last night. That... was kind of a sudden ending?

I think I got an okay-ish ending? It said "London is saved" but gave no specific details about any of the districts. I kind of expected it to say... something, anything about all those people I didn't eat. What happened with Sean, who I cured?? What happened with Whitechapel, which went Hostile and had everyone die in it??? I got no information other than "I saved London, my vampire lover babe stepped into some flames for reasons, and her dad was Sir William... okay???

Like I'm not upset at all because the game was so good but the ending is kind of a non-starter.

Oh well, I'm already kinda psyched to start a new game. Just not sure if I want to do "no kills" or "all kills" first.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Wolpertinger posted:

No kills has a bigger ending difference, I think.

Yeah and considering how easy the game is, is probably a lot more fun. Seriously if you Embrace even a few people you are so OP it's dumb. The last boss took me about 2 minutes and I didn't have to use a single Serum. I never even crafted the strongest Serums.

Are there optional bosses I missed that are hard? I went everywhere but I clearly missed some stuff because I had missing Hints for several people, including the bartender and the waitress.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What's the deal with the room in the church basement next to the fortune teller? There's obviously a hidden passage mechanism there but I could never get it open and nobody ever asked me to.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Next question, there's actually a trophy for saving the plant in your office. HOW?! Only like 1% of players have got it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The combat is fine, I enjoyed it. You can just run past dudes if you don't feel like fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
And let's not forget how many times a Wheel of Time show/film has been greenlit and never happened, despite that being a license to print money

Same with Neuromancer (I still think it's gonna come out one day!)

• Locked thread