Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
  • Post
  • Reply
Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


The three of you have finished your training, and been assigned to work with each other. What do you think of your two companions? You’ve gotten to know each other fairly well over the past couple of towns you’ve done your service in. Regardless, the first next place on your route is Burning Gulch. You ride into town, and you notice the streets are somewhat empty. But it doesn’t take long for people to notice the coats, and for everyone else to come out. They all start eagerly talking to you, and some of them are familiar.

Sister Mercy’s older sister comes forward. “Mercy, thank goodness you’re here? Can you help us?” Brother Braxton’s uncle waves to the three of you, staying behind the crowd. Sister Marguerite’s aunt, Sister Anne, comes forward and says “Marguerite, would you like to come by my house?” But as she does, the crowd becomes quieter and the three of you notice some kind of tension in the air.

It’s broken by the Steward showing up. “Ah, welcome welcome! Please, if you’d like I can set you up at my home and, uh,” his eyes move over to Sister Anne for a brief moment. “I can answer anything you’d like to know.”

What do the three of you do?

In your first post, put your character sheet at the end of it. Keep it updated as the game goes on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!



Sister Margurtie

My two companions seem like more natural choices for dogs, which is for the best. I know that I belong here, but I don't want to have to prove it to every town this side of the Appalachians. Despite what one might think, I feel like I've got more in common with Brother Braxton, as we're both not born into the Faith. Sister Mercy's a bit more rough and tumble than myself, but not as much as I expected. After all, everyone heard about the demon she exorcised.

_____

When we reach town, I don't say anything directly about the tension I see, but it seems related to Sister Anne. It all seems related to Sister Anne, actualy. I'm sure the others have caught that as well.

I respond to Sister Anne's request, saying, "I'd love to come by and catch up. But first, we need to meet with the Steward and see what we can do for the branch while we're here. Work before pleasure, and such. I'll be sure to drop by in just a tick, though!"

Gonna take a free d6 relationship with my aunt, since she's family.

Also, do we have mail to deliver?


Player: Capfalcon

Name: Sister Marguerite

Background: Strong History

Stats:
Acuity: 5d6
Body: 2d6
Heart: 4d6
Will: 3d6

Traits:
I have learned to ride the hard way: 1d6
I know how things are back East 1d6
I am a Dog, whether you think so or not. 2d6
I have learned how to keep house 2d8
I have a sympathetic ear: 2d8
...But I know when I’m being lied to. 1d10
I have read more books than are in most any town: 2d10

Relationships:
Brother Nathan, the Steward from my new home 1d4
Sister Hannah, a Dog I showed up during training 1d4
Aunt Anne. 1d6
Jenny, my Sister from back East 1d8
Extra Dice: 3d6, 2d8

Belongings:
My Father’s handgun, which he never fired 2d6+1d4
Peach, my unruly horse 2d6
A small satchel of books 1d8
My Coat, a quilted patchwork of flowers and fruits,
with embroidered vines running along the seams. 2d6

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Sister Mercy

When I was a babe, listening to my ma read from the Book, the thing that always stuck with me was that the King has reasons for everything that happens. That's why, even though I'm the only one of us born to the faith, I know that Brother Braxton and Sister Marguerite were meant to be Dogs just as much as me. Like Sister Marguerite, for instance, everyone's heard about how she showed Sister Hannah up when she was givin' her guff! The girl's got fire and steel, even if she looks like an Eastern softie. And Brother Baxton? He's as rough and tumble as they come.

Anywho, when we ride up in town I'm pleased as punch to see Sister Chastity! I'd been years, really, since she moved from our home branch. She looks the same as ever. I say, "Of course! That's what we're here for, Sister."

And... yeah, it looks like we've got some trouble at hand. There's no mistake that Sister Marguerite's own sister is in the middle of it, though I suppose it'll take some seein' to figure out who's done what and why. All in a good day's work, though, right?

Also taking a free 1d6 with Sister Chastity for the same reasons.

pre:
Name: Sister Mercy

Background: Well-Rounded

Stats:
	Acuity 									4d6
	Body 									4d6
	Heart 									4d6
	Will 									5d6

Traits:
	I got a wicked scar after fighting a possessed man			1d4
	I’m God’s Watchdog							2d4
	I managed to exorcise a demon, if violently				1d6
	I’m good at just about everything the Faith says I shouldn’t be		3d6
	I can shoot the wings off a fly						2d6
	People say I’m a real beauty						2d8

Relationships:
	My da, my home branch’s Steward						1d8
	My brother, who’s back from school in the east				1d8
	Sister Chastity, my older sister					1d6
	Sister Abigail, my possessed niece					2d4

	4d6 free

Belongings:
	My da’s big ol’ Colt from the war					2d8+1d4
	Peanut, an equally big draft horse					1d8
	A knife for whittlin’							1d6
	A rugged, but beautiful travel dress					2d6
	My coat, all the colors of the sunset, the Tree embossed on back	2d6

Tricky fucked around with this message at Jun 9, 2018 around 21:55

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...


Brother Braxton

The King of Life has willed that the three of us be Watchdogs of the Faith, and I submit to his judgment in all things. We are none of us perfect, yet we are..."perfectable" in our own ways. Sister Marguerite may hail from the wretched east but I see in her a genuine love of the True Faith. More than many in this sin-cursed age who were born into it. Sister Mercy lacks in discretion and more than makes up for it in talent and force. The King of Life has blessed her with much.

"Uncle Orson, truly a blessing to see you again." I shake his hand firmly, and as usual the old man ignores etiquette entirely and pats my back with a chuckle. His teeth have grown even more pitted; I hardly thought that possible. Polite salutations are, of course, given to sisters Anne and Chastity afterwards, but I feel a distinct dip in temperature as time moves on.

"What ever is the matter here, Uncle?" I whisper out the corner of my mouth in the brief span of time before the Steward arrives.

Likewise taking a 1d6 with Uncle Orson
pre:
Player: Bendigeidfran

Name: Brother Braxton

Background: Complicated History

Stats:
	Acuity 5d6
	Body 2d6
	Heart 4d6
	Will 4d6

Traits:
	I’ve got a memory like a steel bear-trap: 2d10
	I’m A Dog: 2d6
	I am the humble shield of the Stewards: 1d6
        I’ve fought the legions of The East, and I won: 2d4
	I have an affinity for lethal force: 2d4
	And yet, I can talk sweeter than a politician: 1d10


Relationships:
	My sister, a no-good bandit terrorizing the hills 1d8
	Poito, a good friend from the Mountain People 1d8
        Uncle Orson, 1d6
	[Dice left over] 4d6

Belongings:	The Hospitality of the Lord of Hosts (revolver rifle): 1d4 2d6 
	The Shepherd’s Hand Protects The Meek (protective metal gauntlet on left arm) 1d8
	Bittersweet (his American Paint Horse) 2d6


A dark brown coat woven with intercrossing thin lines of gold thread, and thick cloud-patterned silk on the hems and around the collar.  2d6 

Bendigeidfran fucked around with this message at Jun 5, 2018 around 23:33

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


"Oh...of course!" Sister Anne says this naturally enough, but she looks around at the crowd and suddenly begins to head off. "I'll see you later then?" You realize she doesn't want to be in this situation anymore. The Steward steps forward but he glances at Sister Chasity and Brother Braxton, who are having conversation with their own family members. "Will they be coming with us?"

Yeah you have mail to deliver. Anything interesting or important, or just regular mail?

"It's my children," Sister Chastity says quietly. "Ezra is sick, and Abigail is taking it rather hard. You can heal him, right?"

Brother Orson smiles, but takes a quick look to make sure the crowd is still focused on the other two Dogs and Sister Anne before speaking in a hushed voice. "Quite a lot, my boy. And that woman's husband is the root of it. Would you like to talk more about it? In private, I mean?"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Sister Mercy

My face goes somber when she tells me about Ezra and I nod. I don't know what all's afflicting him, but I know that I can help. That's my job. I'm God's Watchdog, after all. I say, "I'll do everything I can, Chastity. Why don't you show me to him? I can get the lay of the land after I see to Ezra."

Now, I know that I should be more worried about the hoopla surrounding Sister Marguerite's auntie, what with it smacking of bigger problems, but I can't turn my back on blood. If I ever settle down like Chastity did, have kids and all, I'd hope the Dogs came right for my little one.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...


Brother Braxton

"Mmm, I would indeed, uncle, I would indeed." A strong memory and a taste for...information do pair well together. "But later. I must discuss some matters with the Steward."

I then do as I have said. "Far be it from me to refuse hospitality from a Steward! As tempting as Uncle Orson's home may be, I'd think the burden of my presence would rest less heavily elsewhere." And then, much quieter, for discretion must be preserved in the matters of our elders, "We even brought a message for you. From your son, it seems."

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!



Sister Marguerite

I say, "Well, it looks like Sister Mercy has a bit of work to do, but the good Brother will be joining us."

I say it with a smile, but I'm already troubled by the idea that a problem in a branch could be caused by family here. I offer up a quiet prayer to the King of Life that the problems here be simple and clean.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


The steward leads Sister Marguerite and Brother Braxton to his home, thanking you for the letter but putting it aside for now. He offers you some lemonade to drink, taking some for himself. As he pours, he sighs. "Things are not good, I'm afraid. Brother Henry - Sister Anne's husband - is using his position as Sheriff to exhort everyone in town for money. And the deputy, Brother Jacob, is helping him in this. I've tried talking to him but he just says he deserves it for having helped the town out. Brother Jacob wants to use the money for his sister who is sick. And Brother Henry was been a good sheriff before...but I can't get to him. And Sister Anne refuses to side with me. She just ignores it and pretends like nothing's wrong. That's why she left back there, you see. And a lot of townsfolk have fallen ill, so money's even tighter. It's bad enough, but then..." He has a grim look on his face. "A few days ago, a man named Brother August was murdered. No one knows why, but I think they believe Brother Henry was behind it. I don't think Brother Henry has gone that far yet, but I have no idea who would have wanted to kill Brother August. He was just another member of the town." He looks desperate as he talks to you. "Please, you have to find out what's going on and help me bring Brother Henry back to the side of righteousness."

Meanwhile, Sister Chastity brings Sister Mercy to her home. "Thanks you Mercy, I'm so happy you're here." You see Sister Abigail out in the front yard, doing some work. As you come forward, she notices you - and a look of fear instantly comes forth as she sees your coat. She turns around, and you can sense she's going to leave. Chastity hasn't noticed yet and is still talking about how Ezra most have what's going around town - he apparently not the only one who's ill.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!



Sister Marguerite

Sister Marguerite lets out a long breath when thr Steward relays his story. This is already a big 2 problem, but I believe that the King of Life wants us to come to a peaceful end.

I say, 'Well, looks like I'll be taking that trip tonight. If I id can get her by herself she'll be open , she'll tell me why the Good brother is misbehaving so barly."/

There are a few packages containing belated gifts for newlyweds, but its mostly letters.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Sister Mercy

When I smile at Abigail and she looks like she saw a demon, well, I think that's a pretty fair sign that she has something she's afraid I'm going to find out. Y'just don't side-eye a Dog like that if you don't have anything to hide! I put my hand on Chastity's back and say, "Why don't you get things set up with Ezra? I'll be right in, but it wouldn't be right to go without greeting Sister Abigail as well."

Of course, that's more telling her how it is than asking. She may be my older sister, but I'm on the Faith's business now. I stride with purpose towards Abigail and say, "Well, well! Sister Abigail, why, it's been years since I last set eyes on you. You were just a little'un last time Sister Chastity brought you all home to see our Pa and Ma."

Definitely willing to enter Conflict to stop Sister Abigail's escape.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


"Yes, I'll go ahead and do that." Chastity heads into her home, leaving the two of you outside alone.

The stakes of this conflict are: Does Sister Abigail get away from you? Opening arena is talking.

@Heliotrope: 3d6 Sister Abigail's Acuity = (2+1+3)
@Heliotrope: 4d6 Sister Abigail's Heart = (2+2+1+6)
@Heliotrope: 1d6 Relationship = (4) = 4


"Haha, yeah..." Sister Abigail looks around. "I have to head out for just a little bit, get something from the store. But you're going to heal Ezra right? I don't want to take up your time since you have something more important to do."

She raises with a 4 and 6 (10)

Sister Abigail's Dice:
1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 4, 6

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Sister Mercy

Adding a 1d6 with Abigail, since she's a blood relation.

@Tricky: 4d6 Mercy's Acuity = (6+6+3+3)
@Tricky: 4d6 Mercy's Heart = (1+5+6+1)
@Tricky: 1d6 Relation with Abigail = (5)


I shake my head, "Aw, Sister, you know well that the best healing is done with a proper chorus. Why don't you come on in and join us? He's your brother, ain't he? I'm sure he'd want you there."

Mercy blocks with 5 and 5.

I walk on up while she chews on that and offer my hand, "Come on, Sister, Ezra and your Ma are waiting. Let's not burn more daylight, eh? I can put in a word to the shopkeep if you're worried about the store closin' before we're done. I'm sure they won't begrudge you for a spot of the King's own work."

Mercy raises with 3 and 3.

Available: 6, 6, 6, 1

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


"I...I...I know he would."

She takes the blow with 1, 1, 2, 2,

"But I can't. I mean, I'm just a regular person. You're a Dog, I can't do anything to match that." She doesn't take your hand and tries to walk past you.

She raises with a 2 and a 3 (5)

Sister Abigail's Dice:

1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 3

Sister Abigail's Fallout:

4d4

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Sister Mercy

As she walks, I say, "Y'know, you're wrong there. We're all equal in the eyes of the King of Life. We all have our callings, this being mine, but that doesn't make yours any less important."

Mercy reverses the blow with a 6.

A beat later, I hammer my point home, "If there's something you're worried about, something you need to get off your chest, just tell me. It's plain as the sun in the sky you've got something weighing on you, Sister, and it ain't going to stop unless you stop running from it. I can help."

The previous 6 stands and Mercy adds another 6 to raise.

Available: 6, 1

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


"There's NOTHING! I already told you I have to LEAVE!" She's angry, but tears begin to fall from her eyes and she looks away as she storms off.

@Heliotrope: 2d4 I lose my temper easily = (2+1)
@Heliotrope: 4d6 Sister Abigail's Body = (3+2+4+4)

She Takes the Blow with 4, 4, 2, 2


She breaks past you and just runs, trying to get away before you can catch up.

She raises with 3 and 1 (4)

Sister Abigail's Dice

1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4

Sister Abigail's Fallout

8d4

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Sister Mercy

I jog behind her easily, keeping pace and closing the distance between us.

Mercy reverses the blow with a 6.

@Tricky: 4d6 Mercy's Body = (1+2+1+1)

Closing the last few paces that separate us, I take her hand, gentle but firmlike, and say, "Sister Abigail, what's got your dander up?"

I'm trying to pull her to a stop, and I hope she doesn't make me drag her home at this rate.

The previous 6 stands and Mercy adds another 1 to raise.

Available: 2, 1, 1, 1

Tricky fucked around with this message at Jun 9, 2018 around 06:48

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


As you grab her hand and yank her back, she tumbles to the ground. Then her eyes darken. "GO AWAY GO AWAY GO AWAY" she screams as she begins clawing at you with her free hand - and her nails suddenly turning into sharp talons make that literal.

@Heliotrope: 2d6 Sister Abigail's Will = (3+1)
@Heliotrope: 3d6 Relationship with a Demon = (3+6+1)
@Heliotrope: 1d10 Violent = (10)

She Takes the Blow with 1, 3, 3. She takes only 2d6 Fallout due to her Preservation power


She's screaming and crying and flailing, her claws threatening to rip into you. You can see her teeth, and they are sharp as knives.

She raises with 10 and 6. Taking the Blow here will cause d8 Fallout instead of d6 because of her Viciousness power

Sister Abigail's Dice

1, 1, 3, 3, 6, 10

Sister Abigail's Fallout

8d4, 2d6

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Sister Mercy

@Tricky: 5d6 Mercy's Will = (3+2+2+5+4)
@Tricky: 2d6 I’m good at just about everything the Faith says I shouldn’t be = (6+6)


I hiss in pain as her claws — aw, Ancestors, she's worse off than I thought — slash down my front. I can feel hot blood running down me, but there's no time to worry about that. Abigail needs all the help she can get.

Mercy takes the blow with a 6, 6, and 4.

I use some of the skills I learned rasslin' the boys back home to flip her arms back behind her so I can — as gently as I can manage — smack the palm of my hand onto her forehead and hold it there. I say, "Demon! Leave this child! I'm one of God's Watchdogs and in the King's name, by the authority of the Ancestors above, I command you to leave!"

Mercy raises with a 5 and 3.

Available: 2, 2, 2, 1, 1, 1

Fallout: 3d8

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


Abigail howls as your bring your hand near her forehead, and her eyes begin to roll around. She thrashes against you, pushing you away before the prayer can have an effect on her.

@Heliotrope: 2d8 Desperate = (4+5)

She sees with 4 and 5


But she realizes soon enough that she can't win, and gives up. She just sobs. "Please, don't Sister Mercy! I have to have it, it's the only way I can make things right!"

Sister Abigail Gives, and keeps the 1 for any follow-up conflict

Roll for Fallout

Sister Abigail's Fallout:

@Heliotrope: 8d4 = (3+4+2+4+1+2+3+4)
@Heliotrope: 2d6 Fallout = (6+5)

Sister Abigail uses her Experience Fallout to increase Violent by 1 die and changes her relationship with you to a d4

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Sister Mercy

It's all I can do to keep flopped on top of her. Those claws are wicked sharp and... King of Life, that's a lot of blood.

@Tricky: 3d8 Mercy's Fallout = (6+8+1) = 14
@Tricky: 4d6 Mercy's Body = (1+6+3+1) = 9

That's experience fallout, two long-term consequences, and, of course, Mercy needs medical attention to not die.

Experience Fallout: +1d to I’m good at just about everything the Faith says I shouldn’t be.
Long-term: Relationship with Abigail turns to 1d4.
Long-term: +1d to Relationship with Abigail.

Tricky fucked around with this message at Jun 9, 2018 around 21:55

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


Brother Braxton says he'll talk to his uncle, who might know what's going on. The Steward nods at both of you. "Bless you both. It's been a hard time, but I'm glad the King of Life has sent you here to help us."

The two of you split up, Brother Braxton on the way to his uncle and you to your aunts, when you see two people shambling towards the road to the Steward's house. It takes you a moment before you realize it's Sister Mercy being held by a much younger girl, who looks out of her mind with fear. They look like they've both been in a fight, and Sister Mercy is bleeding heavily. She's not going to make it unless she gets help.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!



Sister Marguerite

When I see Sister Mercy being carried by a slip of a girl, I run over and take Sister Mercy's other shoulder. I say "Let's get her inside."

Gently placing her on the ground, I say "Don't worry, Sister. I don't believe the King is calling you home just yet."

Glancing up to the girl, I whisper, "Get some bandages and clean water.'

While she's busy, I apply pressure to the wound,

@Capfalcon: 9d6 = (6+3+3+4+2+5+6+1+6) = 36
@Capfalcon: 2d6 = (6+2) = 8

6,6,6,6,5,4,3,3,2,2,1

6+6=12

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at Jun 22, 2018 around 02:23

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


@Heliotrope: 3d8 Fallout = (3+3+7)
@Heliotrope: 5d10 Demonic Influence = (1+10+7+10+1)


Sister Abigail runs off to get the supplies. As she does, the pressure you put on Sister Mercy's wound keeps it from bleeding.

I take the blow with 1, 1, 3, 7

But her breathing becomes slow and labored. She's lost a lot of blood.

I Raise with 10 and 7 (17)

Remaining Dice

1, 1, 3, 3, 7, 7, 10, 10,

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!



Sister Marguerite

Blood stains my hands, and I realize that I might not be able to save her. She's fading so fast...

Maybe I'm not really cut out for this life.

I shake myself out of it and focus. I'm a Dog, and I've read what to do in a situation like this. Elevate the wound and keep the victim from going into shock.

@Capfalcon: 9d6 = (6+3+3+4+2+5+6+1+6) = 36
@Capfalcon: 2d6 = (6+2) = 8
@Capfalcon: 2d10 Book Learning = (8+7) = 15

8,7,6,6,6,6,2,5,4,3,3,2,1

Taking the blow with three dice
8+7+2=17

Raising with 6+6

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at Jun 22, 2018 around 03:50

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


As Sister Abigail helps you treat Sister Mercy, you can hear her breathing start to return to normal. Seems like she'll live.

I give. Roll for fallout

Meanwhile, you notice that Sister Abigail still looks really scared.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!



Sister Marguerite

As I tie off the last bandage, I lean back and let out a sigh of relief. I'll have to wash up before I go calling on anyone, but I can see Sister Mercy's eyes begin to flutter open.

Looking over to the scared girl, I say, gently, "So, could you tell me what happened? It must have been something mighty awful to put you both in such a state."

@Capfalcon: 3d4 fallout = (1+1+2) = 4
Gaining a 1d4 "Not sure I'm cut put for this work" trait for the next scene from my 3 fallout.
Also, rolled a 1 on fallout, so I'm creating a 1d6 relationship with Sister Mercy.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at Jun 23, 2018 around 02:23

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


Sister Abigail's eyes flick over to Sister Mercy for a moment. "Uh, she, that is, I," she stammers out while wringing her hands. "I...I didn't mean to...that is, I just wanted to leave but, I mean...I don't know what to do!" She's falling apart emotionally right in front of you.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!



Sister Marguerite

I lean away from Sister Abigail, my gaze turning hard and searching. I look down at Sister Mercy and the large, long cuts. I say, "Did... you attack her? With... what? A knife?"

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


She flinches at your words. "...No," she mumbles. She looks at Sister Mercy again before saying, "I...did it. Without a weapon. With... the demon helping me. I didn't mean to hurt her this badly."

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!



Sister Marguerite

My eyes go wide, and I rise to my feet over the girl. Incredulous, I'm stuck parroting her words, saying, "You... didn't mean to hurt her this badly?" I shake my head, finally realizing how bad things are in this branch.

I look back down at Sister Mercy and say, "We need to get her to a bed." Without looking up, I add to Sister Abigail, "And you aren't to leave my sight. Understand?"

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


"Yes Sister" she mutters as she helps you bring Sister Mercy upstairs and to an empty bed. She waits with you, looking even more worried as time goes on.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Sister Mercy

After a fair spell, my eyes flutter open. It takes a bit to realize that the King didn't call me home and, well, let's just say I'd figure Heaven would have beds that are a little more comfortable. I see Sister Marguerite and Sister Abigail are there, the latter looking... well, like she'd just about disemboweled me and cottoned on a little late. I weakly say, "Hey, Sisters. What'd I miss?"

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


Sister Abigail starts crying again. "S-sister Mercy, I...I've done something terrible! I killed someone a few days ago." She stops talking as she just sobs.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Sister Mercy

I pat her on the back a few times, wincing at the pain still lancing up and down my body. As much as it pains me to hear, it's pretty believable she could've done it with those demon claws she's hiding away. The more important questions, like who and why? That's something she's going to have to tell us. I give Sister Marguerite a look, the kind that's mostly 'wow, this place is worse off than I thought' and consider how to calm Sister Abigail down.

I say, "Come now, Sister, you know we're here to help this branch, and a little demon doesn't count you out of their number. You're a victim in this, too. Why don't you tell us what happened?"

Of course, I have no King-given idea what I'm going to do if it turns out that she just cold slaughtered someone. Chastity's heart would just shatter into pieces.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!



Sister Marguerite

Sitting by her bed, I squeeze Sister Mercy's hand, and I say, a little stiffly, "I promise we'll hear you out, Sister. When did this all start?"

As we wait for Sister Abigail to speak, I look to Sister Mercy, thankful that she seems to be not much worse for wear, but I'm feeling a bit more pessimistic than her at the moment. Sister Abigail attacked a Dog and just confessed she killed someone. There isn't going to be a simple solution that puts everything back to rights. From how things sounded from the Steward, there were already some folks with handing out False Doctrine, and now that blood had been spilled...

Still, best to listen.

For now.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


"Okay." Sister Abigail calms down a bit at your words, wiping her eyes clear. "So the Sheriff and the Brother Jacob the Deputy are taking money from everyone, and now with people getting sick we can't afford doctors. Of course, Brother Jacob can use the money he's taking for his own sister. He doesn't care about anyone else's relatives." She clenches her fists in anger. "And the Steward just tries talking to them, but that ain't working. So..." She hesitates for a moment. "Some of us got together and we're going to take care of the problem. But..." The anger she had fades and she looks sad again. "Brother August noticed us gathering and...I mean, I don't think he knew what we were up to but...if he told someone, then the Sheriff would find out. And that would make me responsible for everything bad that could happen, wouldn't it? If Ezra died because we can't afford a doctor, it would be because I didn't do what needed to be done. So..." She stops, but it's pretty clear what she did.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!



Sister Marguerite
I suck in a breath through my teeth. I suppose it could be worse, but things have already gone way off the rails here.

Focused on keeping my tone even, I say, "Thank you, Sister. We'll... well, we need to go talk to the Deputy. Feel up to that, Sister Mercy?"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage



Sister Mercy

I pull myself up to sitting and say, "I think I can manage, Sister. And... thanks."

Chastity's going to be heartbroken when she hears about all this. Part of me wonders if there's a way to make it all better, but what can you even do when things are already this bad? King, give me strength.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


Sister Abigail looks at the two of you. "What do I do now? What do I tell...the rest of the group?" She suddenly seems to realize something. "What do we tell Mom? Oh dang, we left her and Ezra in the house!"

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«2 »