Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

FLCL Progressive and FLCL Alternative, also known as FLCL 2 + 3, are two follow-ups to the legendary Gainax OVA produced by Production I.G. and in part by Williams Street, the studio behind most Adult Swim productions. Each is six episodes long, like the original OVA. FLCL Progressive began airing on Adult Swim's Toonami block on June 2 after a subtitled preview of Alternative on April Fool's Day, and Alternative will air immediately after Progressive. New episodes air Saturdays at midnight EST, with each episode being free to stream on Adult Swim's site with no cable login needed until the following Monday. Due to issues over in Japan that delayed their release of the series, the subtitled version of the series will not be hosted on AS until November, bummer.

Hidomi Hibajiri
The protagonist of Progressive, a 14 year old girl who seems to have shut the world around her out. She gets hit by a Chevy Bel Air in the first episode, and her life hasn't been the same since then.

Haruha Raharu
A mysterious woman who started teaching Hidomi's class a while ago. She seems to have taken a particular interest in Hidomi. Is this the Haruko we know and love, or is there more to the story?

Julia Jinyu
This is the woman who hit Hidomi with the Bel Air. She also seems to have an interest in Hidomi, and has taken a job at her family's cafe to keep an eye on her. As mysterious as Raharu.

Ko Iide
A classmate of Hidomi's, he got hit in the head with a guitar and a weird robot came out of it. I've never heard of anything like that happening.

Oh, btw, the Pillows are still doing the music.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jun 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
first episode was solid but preview clips suggest the animation takes a huge hit in subsequent eps, hope this isn't the case

also would have accepted "BORN TO BE MILD" as thread title

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Eh, I chalk it up to differences between an OVA and a TV production. At the very least, it looks like there's going to be an increased focus on stronger storytelling, which should hopefully elevate it past that.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

So, is this a sequel, reboot, sofboot, what? Like, are there.any returning characters?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Sequel, and the only returning elements so far are Haruko and the Medical Mechanica buildings.

E: Also the N.O. stuff, but that's kinda part and parcel with the other two.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 6, 2018

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Naota, Mamimi, and Atomsk are also in the end credits for the first episode. Pretty sure that was also Atomsk's petrified corpse in the opening scene.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
The show: Your cat ear headphones are immature and an inauthentic expression of yourself

Me: Wow those cat ear headphones are really cute

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Cephas posted:

The show: Your cat ear headphones are immature and an inauthentic expression of yourself

This

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
The FLCL 3/Alternative April Fool's Day "leak" made me kinda worried. The opener for that didn't really "feel" like FLCL, although it was still a fun episode. But with FLCL 2/Progressive finally airing I'm happier with it. I have a theory about the two new seasons. Basically: Progressive is a continuation of the first series and Alternative is either a prequel or an (heh) Alternative version of the original updated for a new era.

I'm probably wrong about FLCL 3/Alternative tho so I'm really just here for the nostalgia trip and cool robot fights.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
The ending credits seem to imply that Julia split off from Haruha after she seemingly absorbed the power of Atomsk

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVRmzWnekdw

God I love the Pillows.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Super Big Thanks for making this thread for my lazy butt Waffleman_!

Anyways, the first episode had style, if not quite the frenetic energy of the original FLCL, and while I can't say if the story it plans on telling will be good or novel, I feel like it will almost certainly be interesting, and those two elements alone make it worth watching for me.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Cephas posted:

Good news, you can buy Axent Wear Cat Ear Headphones online for relatively cheap :radcat:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mostly just really wanted to make sure "Nothing Amazing Happens Here" was the title, because I love that phrase. Hell, when FLCL Classic was airing, I started getting ideas for a tabletop game that'd replicate the vibe with that name.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I mostly just really wanted to make sure "Nothing Amazing Happens Here" was the title, because I love that phrase. Hell, when FLCL Classic was airing, I started getting ideas for a tabletop game that'd replicate the vibe with that name.

We're all grateful for your insight on this important issue.

It's an excellent phrase.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well.

I'm sorry.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Well.

I'm sorry.

I wasn't being sarcastic!

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

They even brought The Pillows back? This MIGHT end up being done right after all then.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

We're all grateful for your insight on this important issue.

It's an excellent phrase.

the first episode was littered with great and pithy one-liners, really

"I have taught you everything you need to know. Now, for today's lesson."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"I don't know."
"Correct answer."

Haruko as teacher was great.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jun 7, 2018

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Waffleman_ posted:

"I don't know."
"Correct answer."

Haruko as teacher was great.

"UUuuhhhh"
"Wrong answer."

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

wow this rules

way better than the original already

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, I like her design a lot and I appreciate that IG is continuing FLCL having very cool very specific vehicles.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Molestationary Store posted:

They even brought The Pillows back? This MIGHT end up being done right after all then.

They, uh, only brought The Pillows back. To my knowledge the staff is 100% new otherwise.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

This show's good

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Waffleman_ posted:

This show's good

:same:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

This show's good

I think I'm going to have to agree.

Like the first series, we've got young people dealing with their crazy, somewhat symbolic bullshit while in the background the worst galactic police officer ever continues her pursuit of absolute power.

I'm just glad we could all have a teacher like Miss Haruko. Remember when she stole a car from the Yakuza and pretty much went full Initial D through downtown?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/stephaniesheh/status/1005665030157684736

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i didn't catch it on first watch but hibajiri having thanatophilia makes a lot of sense given the angle the show seems to be taking so far

she views herself as someone existentially inert and rotting and lusts to get as close to actualized death as possible

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

http://www.adultswim.com/videos/flcl/freebie-honey/

Get it while it's Sunday (Content warning: The first few minutes are a bit graphic)

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

If Ide's name is supposed to be an Ideon reference, I fear how this is going to end. Hopefully more :unsmith: and less :negative:.

Show is good, ending to episode 2 was cute.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
So the episode titles are pillows song titles now too? This show is making me feel so weird. Like I saw FLCL when I was 13 and it got me into the pillows, moreso than I was actually into FLCL, to the point of flying, alone, across the country to see them live. Thank you, my twilight is my favorite song of theirs. And now it's like the first thing you hear in this show I don't really like?

I realize this is a dumb complaint but it's hard to recontextualize this thing about growing up that I saw for the first time at an anime con when I was still growing up, now that I'm 30.

Edit: I don't think the show is BAD it just doesn't do anything for me the way FLCL did at 13 which I think is to be expected.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

:same:

Downloaded their whole discography back in the SADCHUB/Raspberry Heaven days.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I'm starting to think this Hidomi girl has some issues

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

She's Tina Belcher

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Oops, I missed the first part of the episode with the dream sequence, so when everyone was going on about Hidomi having a death fetish near the end I was a little confused and thought I had misread something. Context matters, kids!

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Waffleman_ posted:

Eh, I chalk it up to differences between an OVA and a TV production. At the very least, it looks like there's going to be an increased focus on stronger storytelling, which should hopefully elevate it past that.

And as far as Japan is concerned, they're movies. That's what TOHO is going to release them over there as come Fall.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Waffleman_ posted:

All I know is that if there's a 'moving manga' sequence like the original, I am going to mark out SO HARD

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Oxxidation posted:

i didn't catch it on first watch but hibajiri having thanatophilia makes a lot of sense given the angle the show seems to be taking so far

she views herself as someone existentially inert and rotting and lusts to get as close to actualized death as possible

FLCL Progressive: Please Don't Kinkshame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh poo poo, fun fact: The guy they got to voice the Japanese punk in episode 2 was the head in Human Centipede.

• Locked thread