Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm looking forward to Alternative. Thinking about it, if they showed Alternative first and then Progressive, I think I would've been soured by the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I like Haruko's new hairstyle in Alternative.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I like progressive more than the original but I also really don’t care for the original

Seeing as an adult probably shaped that instead of a 12 year old tho

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
I disliked Progressive a lot.

It started out promising, IMO more promising than the first episode of Alternative that aired by itself earlier this year, but it devolved into indecipherable nonsense. I didn't care about the characters (I hardly even knew anything about most of them), the lore focus felt really misguided and the plot felt like a collection of Zany Things Happening. The production was a mess, with weak music usage (and inexplicably lots of weak generic faux-pillows music) and a bland visual identity. Watching it became a chore because there was no emotional center or really anything at all for me to latch onto. It felt like it was crafted by someone whose entire conception of FLCL began and ended with "there's some zany randomness in there".

I rewatched the first episode of FLCL after episode 6 of Progressive aired, and I was struck by how much character and setting detail it manages to convey even in just its opening few minutes. Progressive was full of characters that I still hardly know anything about.

Maybe Alternative will be better, but the trailer for it already reusing one of the same few pillows songs that was played several times in Progressive doesn't fill me with confidence that it's going to be a much different experience.

I kind of wish both of these had just excluded Haruko entirely, because there were some potentially interesting aspects in Progressive that her unyielding presence just completely stomped all over.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hgtc5tl7uE

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/adultswim/status/1020375378001620993

I mean, I don't know if anyone here's gonna even care...

We've already seen episode 1, and it looked way better than Progressive.

This also looks much better than Progressive and I think we'd have been better off if they just went with a single 6 ep follow up series instead of trying to do two.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think alternative looks okay but the first episode didn’t do much for me.

It just exists. As it was kind of bland.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
I feel like Progressive may have been bound to have a smaller audience just on the basis of not having the heavily meta moments driven in large part by Naota's otaku dad, and because it breaks pretty heavily both with a lead centric narrative (everything in FLCL happens in the service of Naota's coming of age story,) and lead driven narrative (Naota often is contextualizes each episode with bookend monologues.) Progressive is more of ensemble cast if only because you have Hidomi and Haruko aiming for different goals, plus Hidomi isn't the sole actor in the resolution of all the threads going on. Progressive is arguably over stuffed because of all these players and only six episodes, but it's still a very strong coming of age story for a different conflict than the one Naota faced.

Edit: that said, I bet Alternative will benefit from Progressive resetting expectations from the original in a lot of people's heads.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Progressive was like, someone watched FLCL and Kill la Kill and made a show. Alternative seems more focused on the coming of age type thing, and I think I like it more having only seen the first episode.

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
I didn't have high hopes, but man this was like the most underwhelming and forgettable thing ever.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I watched Progressive and was left incredibly soured by how mediocre it felt but I was really uplifted seeing the first ep of Alternative right after. It really seemed like this one gets the whole ambience of the original much better. Progressive reeked of being marketable on Adult Swim

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nghoc2VALdk

Also hey, Alternative starts in two weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkuouO8qUvw

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 26, 2018

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Alternative starts officially Saturday night, even thought we've seen the first episode. Hoping this one is the "Coming of Age story" to contrast Progressive's "Random Nonsense" story. The original did both well but from the looks of what we've seen from Prog and what's coming in Alt it looks split in half.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1038072681483169792

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wol70cBLNd8

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
I still bet Alternative gets a pass from more folks watching in the US just because which ever ran first was gonna inevitably disappoint some people for not living up to whatever they personally felt FLCL is after nearly 2 decades of discussion and analysis. Now, Alternative will benefit somewhat from reset expectations, even if it more proactively breaks with the lore/setting such as suggested by replacing the MM factory/iron with a big-box/department store.

That said, I still think Progressive actually nails all the coming of age stuff expected from FLCL, it's just very intentionally not a Gainaxian, semi-oedipal bildungsroman because that'd have been a retread of the first show.

Anyways, I'm certainly looking forward to seeing the first episode of Alternative dubbed this time. It'll be interesting to see how localized the dub for starters is, as the original series certainly softened a bunch of deeply obscure references.

Ultraklystron fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 7, 2018

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Yea I'm at the point of "Will watch it, but my expectations are now set at cashgrab nolstalgia trip" levels of Eeeeh.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Not much to say, it's....the episode we saw in April! And it was a pretty good episode at that!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
god the sound mixing on this is so much better than it was in progressive

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The use of the music was also better.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Huh.

Just noticed Earth was said to have "millions" of people on it.

With an m.

Odd.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

Huh.

Just noticed Earth was said to have "millions" of people on it.

With an m.

Odd.
Confirmed taking place in the Evangelion universe

I honestly like the first episode, it's not as great as the original but that's also one of the big shows that defined my teenage years too. I think most of the criticism this show's going to get is that it isn't classic FLCL

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

Confirmed taking place in the Evangelion universe

I honestly like the first episode, it's not as great as the original but that's also one of the big shows that defined my teenage years too. I think most of the criticism this show's going to get is that it isn't classic FLCL

I do wonder.

I mean, about the show overall. Like, I think this maybe works better on its own that Prog's opener, but it promises less, in a way. Like, Progressive, whatever you thought of it (I thought it was pretty alright, but I'm curious how it'll hold together on a rewatch) laid the cards on the table for Where This Is Going in episode 1 in a way that this kinda hasn't. Like, Progressive episode 1, you get that Hidomi's got this whole weird thing for decay and death, that she's tired of life and wants it to end (probably because her dad went deadbeat), and that Haruko's corrupting the youth. There's going to be robots, awkward teen romance, and maybe the end of the world, all at a roughly FLCL pace, if less episodic.

This... doesn't particularly do that. The Haruko crazy and the teen friends hanging out feel disconnected in a way that makes it hard to see how it's going to link up and play out. And the levels of crazy feel odd. Like, in Nabase, people just took Canti in stride and you gradually realized that, yes, Naota's opening monologue is kind of full of poo poo. Here, the robot has everyone freaking out and wondering what's going on in a different way than Prog and the original, where you just kind of... accepted that sometimes reality as you knew it would snap like a twig.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I think this is going to be the Slice of Life / Coming of Age story that the original FLCL had where Progressive was just all in on the weird from minute 1. Maybe the titles are symbolic or maybe they're just random play on words of Rock genres.

The original FLCL started out sort of tame and dialed the weird up, so Progressive starting weird and going weirder would match with the "Progressive" title while Alternative starting off fairly normal and average and then slowly ramping up the weird would be a good "Alternative" to the original series.

Either way, Alternative is a short series anyway so we'll probably find out around episode 4 where this is all going.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

I think this is going to be the Slice of Life / Coming of Age story that the original FLCL had where Progressive was just all in on the weird from minute 1. Maybe the titles are symbolic or maybe they're just random play on words of Rock genres.

The original FLCL started out sort of tame and dialed the weird up, so Progressive starting weird and going weirder would match with the "Progressive" title while Alternative starting off fairly normal and average and then slowly ramping up the weird would be a good "Alternative" to the original series.

Either way, Alternative is a short series anyway so we'll probably find out around episode 4 where this is all going.

The first episode of FLCL was tame for, what, two minutes? Three and a half?

Because shortly after Naota got rammed, it cut to the characters in a bus discussing the filming of the episode. FLCL expects you to cope with major insanity from the jump.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

I do wonder.

I mean, about the show overall. Like, I think this maybe works better on its own that Prog's opener, but it promises less, in a way. Like, Progressive, whatever you thought of it (I thought it was pretty alright, but I'm curious how it'll hold together on a rewatch) laid the cards on the table for Where This Is Going in episode 1 in a way that this kinda hasn't. Like, Progressive episode 1, you get that Hidomi's got this whole weird thing for decay and death, that she's tired of life and wants it to end (probably because her dad went deadbeat), and that Haruko's corrupting the youth. There's going to be robots, awkward teen romance, and maybe the end of the world, all at a roughly FLCL pace, if less episodic.

This... doesn't particularly do that. The Haruko crazy and the teen friends hanging out feel disconnected in a way that makes it hard to see how it's going to link up and play out. And the levels of crazy feel odd. Like, in Nabase, people just took Canti in stride and you gradually realized that, yes, Naota's opening monologue is kind of full of poo poo. Here, the robot has everyone freaking out and wondering what's going on in a different way than Prog and the original, where you just kind of... accepted that sometimes reality as you knew it would snap like a twig.

alternative's thing is pretty clear, its protagonist is an anti-naota in that she doesn't want to grow up at all rather than wanting to grow up too fast

hence haruko's "seventeen won't wait forever" remark

i guess a show about how clinging to the pleasures of youth is unhealthy wouldn't go over too well in japan, ehhh? ehhhhh?

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Oxxidation posted:

i guess a show about how clinging to the pleasures of youth is unhealthy wouldn't go over too well in japan, ehhh? ehhhhh?

You've probably called it. A show that's only ever had an audience of relatively hardcore otaku in Japan at best saying "you can't wish to just have every problem fixed by being given a magical wand" is probably going to go down as smoothly as broken glass, even if it has a cute girls doing cute things, iyashikei coating as it does in Alternative.

The fact that Progressive seems to have been received better in Japan almost confirms that. Its big take away is it's okay to want to keep what you have (at that age) if you've been through trauma, so as long as there is also some radical acceptance about admitting why you want those things. That's pretty otaku friendly messaging.

Both kind of refute the usual Gainax Arc/metaphors though, yet that's such a big part of what most people likely expected subliminally if not directly out of these sequels, so I'm not surprised by the grousing online. They wanted the exact same bildungsroman, with the same visuals, the same kind of sad boy lead, and the same snarky 4th wall ignoring, deeply referential writing. Not many expected IG to find a more abstract thesis of different adolescent issues compressed and subjected to extraordinary events.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I didn't watch this episode before now whenever it leaked online, but I enjoyed it as I did the first episode of Progressive. Definitely seems like its doing its own thing though as others said, which is interesting.

I really wonder how FLCL Classic + Progressive + Alternative will play back to back to back in the long run.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Also did I spy a Bayformer in the preview for the next episode? I'd be curious to know what that Kardashian reference was in Japanese too.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Raxivace posted:

I'd be curious to know what that Kardashian reference was in Japanese too.

Given the original dialogue, probably a reference to this actress: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saeko_(actress) whose ex-husband is a pro-baseball player.

This makes the Japanese reference here a bit of a call back since Noata's brother was a pro-baseballer too. That call back is lost in the localization I guess.

Ultraklystron fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 9, 2018

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I’m just glad we got another stop motion ED.

I also didn't watch the first ep when it leaked way back when, this was my first experience with it. I really enjoyed it, and am looking to see where it goes, but I also enjoyed Progressive overall so whatever. I feel like Alternative did a really good job of capturing that carefree life you have as a teenager, hanging out with friends and making dumb quips at each other and doing fun little projects that mean the world to you. Of course I expect the message to be losing those sort of days and accepting that loss, but we'll see.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Raxivace posted:

I didn't watch this episode before now whenever it leaked online, but I enjoyed it as I did the first episode of Progressive. Definitely seems like its doing its own thing though as others said, which is interesting.

I really wonder how FLCL Classic + Progressive + Alternative will play back to back to back in the long run.

I have not watched any of alternative or progressive at all. Waiting for the Blu-ray. I'll go through all of the series in release order and I can post how I feel.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I also didn’t watch the leak. I can see how there is some criticism of Alternative being too much of a re-tread of FLCL, but that’s really refreshing after Progressive broke the mold a little too much imo. The first eps of both were really good though so it’ll be interesting if Alt keeps up the vibe

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Was there a leak at all, or are people just referring to the april fool's airing as "the leak" now?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, I'm liking Alternative a lot more. It seems a lot more like a thematic successor to the original, whereas Progressive was trying to be a narrative successor.

Problem with that is, the main plot and lore was, to me, the LEAST INTERESTING part of the original. I'd always check out when it got dumped on you in the last episode and I didn't actually know what the plot WAS for a good 13 years.

E: Haruko confirmed for giant penis. Her words, not mine.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 16, 2018

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
This is certainly a lot more...grounded? than Progressive. In the balance between teens and aliens it skews a lot more teen and is better for it.

Haruko's rhymes are good.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Progressive looked at the original and thought it was cool because the plot was vague and mysterious and cool and put in all these dumbass JJ Abrams mystery boxes that went nowhere at the expense of the interesting character arc they set up with Hidomi, and Alternative realized the plot was vague and dumb and kinda bad because in the grand scheme of things, it didn't really fuckin' matter and the theming was more important.

Haven't seen anything that would lead to such venomous reaction from the Japanese. I know there's time for it to bottom out, but seeing as literally every aspect of the production was lambasted, we'd have seen SOMETHING by now a third in.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
adult swim's useless website still won't display any videos and i'm mad

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Progressive looked at the original and thought it was cool because the plot was vague and mysterious and cool and put in all these dumbass JJ Abrams mystery boxes that went nowhere at the expense of the interesting character arc they set up with Hidomi, and Alternative realized the plot was vague and dumb and kinda bad because in the grand scheme of things, it didn't really fuckin' matter and the theming was more important.

Haven't seen anything that would lead to such venomous reaction from the Japanese. I know there's time for it to bottom out, but seeing as literally every aspect of the production was lambasted, we'd have seen SOMETHING by now a third in.

Mystery boxes?

That's not how FLCL worked, original flavor or Prog. It's a show that only didn't answer things when it thought they didn't much matter. Admittedly, there were a lot of things it only answered with offhand background comments, but part of the fun for FLCL is how the crazy space battles are vaguely referenced, while the important story in the foreground is about a kid trying to figure what the gently caress he's supposed to do with life.

Prog balanced things a little more towards "Crazy poo poo", admittedly. It had "Flesh out Haruko as a character" pretty high on its list of priorities, and Haruko lives in crazy shitville. Ide and Hidomi kind of had to go for heightened reality to even get their story to play, let alone be the main focus.

Meanwhile, in Alt so far, Haruko's barely even a plot device, so things can be more grounded away from her without worrying about any of it.

Which, in a lengthy and roundabout way, leads to some thoughts on why Prog is (apparently, I haven't seen enough firsthand to verify it) more popular in Japan than Alt. Progressive focused in on crazy space antics and Haruko. The teen romance and bildungsroman elements are all framed through a lens of "Everything going loving insane forever." Even when the story elements are more grounded (Ide is poor), it's run through a layer of crazy (he earns money by selling airsoft guns to the Yakuza). The original didn't go as far, but it was still a crazy regular life (Naota's sorta-not-really-girlfriend is a pyromaniac who worships the robot who emerged from his head, his dad wears a Lupin jacket and makes 'zines on Eva, Haruko lives in his house) contrasted against even crazier space nonsense. Prog upped the crazy on both, even if it sadly toned down the art shifting meta side of the madness.

Alt... isn't that. Like, if you trimmed all the Haruko out of the original or Prog, they wouldn't hold together. It wasn't all her level of crazy, but her crazy was essential to the story working at all. By contrast, so far in Alt, the story doesn't really have much to do with the robots, space, or Haruko. You have the friends stuff, it's interrupted by Haruko stuff, then the episode reaches a conclusion. It' a different flavor.

(Of course, viewing Alt as some kind of riposte against Prog seems odd, considering they apparently had the same writer.)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't mean to imply it's a riposte, I'm just saying they have different approaches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
that action sequence was faaan-tastic

so far FLCL Alternative seems to be more about a proper magic-realist approach where the bizarre elements of the story are used to reinforce the emotional core, which was the same tack the original series used, but even beyond that every aspect of the production is so much slicker and more effective - sound balancing, animation, characters, it's kicking Progressive to the curb in every aspect

maybe a little heavyhanded with the metaphors, especially the spiciness thing, but that's a small niggle compared to the mountain of problems Progressive had. remember how loving stiff the Haruko/Jinyu fight in Freebie Honey was?

• Locked thread