Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Applesnots posted:

I would be really temped to hook an pump drive from a ski doo to it. The tires work, but just seem so anemic. Still loving awesome. Just for a bit more go fast straight and use the wheels to turn maybe?
There are some anphibs that did that, and I'd love to attempt such a swap myself. Wouldn't work in such a small rear engined machine I don't think, there just isn't room. Something like an Argo with the engine in the front might actually be doable. Could be fun!
For now, I'm gonna be happy with an outboard.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

"Somebody"? Y'all need to catch up on Doccers Buys a Volvo.
I wish he was still posting (and if he is, please link), Doccers' content was amazing.

User Error posted:

How do the controls work on these things? Each stick controls a clutch driven off a shared CVT? How about throttle?

I made a video but I'm leaving on a roadtrip for the weekend. It's still uploading but I'll throw up a link anyway. If all goes well it'll be live in a bit. I have really, really slow internet.
I didn't address the throttle in the video, but there's a brake lever off a bicycle on the right control stick. It's pretty simple. The sticks aren't springloaded in any position like they are with the later and more ubiquitous
Borg Warner T20 transmission. There is, however, no differential. It's a true skidsteer transmission. The issue with differential steering is that once one side is braked, the speed on the other side doubles. I've never driven such a machine, but apparently it's not ideal. Differential also means that the side with lower traction will spin wild while the side with more traction will stop, just like on a car, sounds like a good way to violently spin out or break poo poo.
The sticks need to be held forward to keep the brakes engaged. Hopefully the video helps understand how this weird little piece of history works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvdEYTrFL6w

The forums are being pissy about a video link that isn't live yet... This should get around that?
code:
https://youtu.be/ZvdEYTrFL6w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Yesterday was a rather hot day an I took the plymouth to a count fair with a carshow. There's a parade around the fair as part of the show. Well, thing died during the parade. It wasn't happy with that kind of driving. This was a few minutes after not being happy about starting for the parade about an hour after arriving. Seems to be lean sadness since repeatedly mashing the gas pedal while cranking at about 2rpm (thanks 6v electrical system) gets it going.

It also seems to crank slower when hot, which is rather backwards to what I'd expect. I dunno if that's indicative of a starter issue or a weak battery or what.

Oh also, it's been a while since I've done any graphic design. I'm gonna have to dust off my skills, though. I really want to recreate this sticker.

chrisgt fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Sep 4, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The slower cranking could be the starter getting heat soaked?

The Linux Fairy
Apr 7, 2005

With just some glitter and a wink, your data will be turned into a 40GB looping .gif of penguins fucking.

So I happened to be in Maine like 25 minutes from Chris's place for a wedding this weekend, and so of course I drove over and went blasting around in the Attex for an hour or two.

I am given to believe that the standard reaction that almost everyone has when they first see the Attex is "I have no idea what in the hell that thing is for, but I really wish I had one for myself". My reaction was no different. Chris gave me a tour of the innards of the thing, and how it works; my head spun, having no intuition for planetary gears, and not really having gotten it last time I took apart an electric drill gearbox, either. That said, it is way simpler inside than I thought. The photos earlier in the thread of zillions of gears in that unobtainium gearbox that Chris spent hours opening up and removing years of water-soaked-gunge from scared me, and I assumed that there was some sort of deep magic involved. There isn't, of course; it's just a simple gear reduction with selectable forward and reverse. If he strapped a turbo to that Honda and turned metal gear solid into metal gear soup, I imagine he could probably get away with fabricating some simple gear reduction out of good old bearings and shafts and gears.

One bizarre complicating factor that I'm not sure if he mentioned in the thread -- presumably he did, and it was long gone from my memory -- is that the transmission's input and output shafts are concentric. So, for instance, if one wanted to tune the clutch spring on the transmission side of the CVT pulley, one needs to remove the planetary gears that hold it in (duh), but also one needs to disassemble the entire transmission to get a C-clip off of it to release the concentric shafts -- and, from there, the pulley. The entire thing feels like a miracle of simple design, and then every so often you get bizarre poo poo like that that makes you wonder who showed up hungover on Monday morning when they were designing that.

I didn't get to drive the Attex (and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have wanted to risk breaking something so unique with my hamfisted driving), but it is a sort of magically bizarre thing to ride in. The skid-steer nature is not unusual, but definitely weird in my head, and I imagine it puts a lot of stress on the driveline; something's skipping on the right side chain assembly, for a disconcerting Thunk! Thunk! Thunk! when you put it on pavement in anything other than a straight line. It makes sense, of course, that the driveline *should* bind, but I do wonder how it's supposed to deal with that binding, and where all that energy is supposed to be absorbed.

Anyway, here's a few photos of the Attex, driving about, and on the pond -- and, a short video of Chris taking it out of the pond. The higher-angle entry to the pond, and out as well, is kind of exciting: if you look carefully, you'll see it up on two wheels for a moment...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ubBxTBzgnW6xLMYv7

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

That's an extremely accurate assessment of the thing.
It should also be noted that The Linux Fairy gave me a gopro that he had sitting around. I'm wicked stocked to stick it under the hood with a flashlight and see how much the frame wobbles. Also take it on attex swims. I've actually been crazy busy helping someone get their boat ready for the water so sadly I haven't had a whole ton of attex play time. Hopefully next week.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Obviously I'm missing a few zeros there, but 84 thou is just a tad over 44.

That plus the last idiot screwing up the knock sensor install on wifecar would explain why it was running bad. Apparently started running bad all at once.... but whatever. It's way happier now.
Subarus are basically loving retarded, if you install the knock sensor with the pigtail facing backwards it hits the block and cracks the sensor body. Over the years water gets in and fucks the sensor up. At least it's a 5 minute job to replace not an 8 hour job like my toyota...

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!
And it needs to be at the right angle to the centreline of the block!

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Kaptainballistik posted:

And it needs to be at the right angle to the centreline of the block!

wut, the sensor is just a coil of wire, I've never seen that anywhere.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Cool! Didn't know that, thanks. Wifecar runs much better now. No flatspot in the gas pedal anymore.
I've been noticing more and more smoke at idle with the mercedes, it's also been cranking a bit longer to start. Figured I was way overdue for a valve adjustment (I've never done one since owning the car....).
It looks ridiculously good under the cover, everything is clean and shiny.

Looks really good in there, cloths pin so I don't forget which valve I'm working on. They were all tight.

I needed two long handle 14mm wrenches to bend up, I only had one long handled 14 so I turned a 12mm into a 14mm with a grinder and bent them.
I didn't get the angles quite right, I'll probably do some more bending and modifying next time I do the job.

The car runs amazingly better now, it's actually quite ridiculous what a difference that made. Fires up faster, no smoke at idle, and runs smoother. I dunno if it has more power or not, I've never had a properly calibrated butt dyno.

In Attex news, it's not really welcome here anymore and I haven't bothered putting it on the trailer and taking it somewhere. There aren't any ATV trails near me, just a ton of snowmobile trails that don't want ATVs on them. I'll likely be moving somewhere like an apartment where the Attex also won't be useful, so I guess it's just gonna end up stored for a while. Kind of a shame, but so things go. It'll be ready and willing for our next adventures whenever that may be.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

chrisgt posted:

In Attex news, it's not really welcome here anymore and I haven't bothered putting it on the trailer and taking it somewhere. There aren't any ATV trails near me, just a ton of snowmobile trails that don't want ATVs on them. I'll likely be moving somewhere like an apartment where the Attex also won't be useful, so I guess it's just gonna end up stored for a while. Kind of a shame, but so things go. It'll be ready and willing for our next adventures whenever that may be.

Oh no, what happened?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Snowmobilers probably don't want their trails turned into rutted two-tracks.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Dagen H posted:

Snowmobilers probably don't want their trails turned into rutted two-tracks.

Oh I totally understand why sled trails don't want ATVs, and I'm not complaining or arguing about that. The reasons are weird, it's just not super welcome here... Gonna leave it at that.
I really wish I had someone to ride with, who knew a good trail, etc. I don't mind loading up on the trailer and going somewhere, just not as fun alone.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

You don't have to elaborate, we understand.

Fleegle and Bingo attract too many children.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

So I haven't forgotten about the attex, but I haven't done much with the thing for a while, either. A couple weeks ago before all the leaves turned I trailered it to an interesting place. Many years ago there was a big logging operation and during the summer they had a floating road (apparently) that didn't, well, float. So they built a bridge through a bog. They never managed in building a road for whatever reason so there's now an unused bridge to the tune of around $50k sunk literally into a bog. I took attex out to see it. I had my gopro with the non-waterproof backing on so I could talk to it. Sadly the gopro fell in the water and got wet... Fortunately a bag of rice fixed it, unfortunately the video got corrupt.

Here's the bridge to (and from) nowhere.

And my furry friend

Right now I'm looking for apartments near my new job, which is 3 hours from where I currently live. As anyone can guess, that's a complete shitshow. Different state, transfer registration on vehicles, different inspection, where to put my poo poo when I move into a lovely apartment..... Yea. Good news is attex is being stored at slow_is_fast's warehouse (I think), so I'll be able to take it out an drive it in the snow and poo poo.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Sadly, the rice probably sealed your gopro's inevitable fate, one day it will stop working and you won't even realize it, but it'll be because of its trip into the drink. I work in electronics repair and often a device that could've been saved with a $60-75 liquid cleaning is turned into a $400 logic board repair/data recovery attempt because someone decided to try the rice method and then put power through the device.

The rice trick is literally the second worst thing you can do, worst being putting power through it without cleaning. Best thing to do is while a device is still wet, pop it open, pull the battery, and soak the whole thing down with 99% isopropyl. Think about all the minerals and stuff in the water, that's now inside your gopro and every time you power it on more damage is being done. You need to displace all that poo poo, not dry it out!

This vid is phone specific, but the water damage discussion is relevant to any electronics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plmElKA6qKM

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Fermented Tinal posted:

Sadly, the rice probably sealed your gopro's inevitable fate, one day it will stop working and you won't even realize it, but it'll be because of its trip into the drink. I work in electronics repair and often a device that could've been saved with a $60-75 liquid cleaning is turned into a $400 logic board repair/data recovery attempt because someone decided to try the rice method and then put power through the device.

The rice trick is literally the second worst thing you can do, worst being putting power through it without cleaning. Best thing to do is while a device is still wet, pop it open, pull the battery, and soak the whole thing down with 99% isopropyl. Think about all the minerals and stuff in the water, that's now inside your gopro and every time you power it on more damage is being done. You need to displace all that poo poo, not dry it out!

This vid is phone specific, but the water damage discussion is relevant to any electronics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plmElKA6qKM

:eng99:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Glad to see both you and the Attex have stable futures.

Toss the gopro in a vacuum chamber and set it for around 65 kPa. the water will boil off with a little warmth.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

cursedshitbox posted:

Glad to see both you and the Attex have stable futures.

Toss the gopro in a vacuum chamber and set it for around 65 kPa. the water will boil off with a little warmth.

See previous post as to mineral deposition.

The Linux Fairy
Apr 7, 2005

With just some glitter and a wink, your data will be turned into a 40GB looping .gif of penguins fucking.

If my old gopro dies from its water excursion it will be 100% more baller than anything I ever did with it. The best I ever got out of it was a video of me putting a 6 month old car into the wall at Sears Point, and a video of me being a total loving jerry on skis. So all I can say is give it that thing the rides through the drink that it deserves... if you don't break a gopro every now and again, you aren't sending hard enough.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

chrisgt posted:

Attventure

Sucks about your moist GoPro but that sounds like a pretty cool trip for the Attex. There are probably not too many vehicles out there better suited for exploring that place.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

i own every Bionicle posted:

Sucks about your moist GoPro but that sounds like a pretty cool trip for the Attex. There are probably not too many vehicles out there better suited for exploring that place.

It still works just fine. Today I went to move the attex outside so I had more room to work on the toyota. It wouldn't run.. Turns out the fuel pump died. I blew into the tank to force some fuel into the carb and that worked...

The toyota issue. Above about 75mph it has a vibration when I let off the gas. Just between accelerating and decelerating, or going down a hill. It isn't tires, I have a couple sets of those. Pretty sure it isn't a front CV axle since I actually bought a new one and swapped them all around. I finally pulled the driveshaft, one of the u-joints seemed fine and the other had some tightness and notchyness in one direction. Cheap easy job, so whatever. Shotgun parts.... STILL VIBRATES EXACTLY THE SAME. My mercedes had a caliper that was just starting to freeze up cause a similar issue. The toyota brakes are tired, I just haven't cared enough to do anything about it... I HATE THINGS.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I had a Comanche that did that, ended up being the pinion bearings in the rear end.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Id check the trans mount(s) or rear diff bushings (If it has them) for looseness. Easy enough and free. Nothing worse than vibrations especially if it's caused but some input that you have to do when driving. poo poo drives me nuts.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

User Error posted:

I had a Comanche that did that, ended up being the pinion bearings in the rear end.
I wouldn't be too surprised by a diff issue. It had a rusted cover and was low on fluid when I bought it.

shy boy from chess club posted:

Id check the trans mount(s) or rear diff bushings (If it has them) for looseness. Easy enough and free. Nothing worse than vibrations especially if it's caused but some input that you have to do when driving. poo poo drives me nuts.

It's a coil sprung live axle, the bushings on everything seem ok... but it does have over 250k miles, so... It doesn't wear the back tires funny or anything, so the bushings can't be TOO bad. Trans and engine mounts are good ideas, I need to check those. I could also pull the driveshaft and test it with the center diff locked.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Unless I drive 2 hours I don't have any place to work on cars, attexes, or anything else exciting. I hate apartments so loving much. Anyway, my stupid bose thing from 1998 up and died. I could just go buy a new portable thing that isn't ugly as sin, but I don't give up that easily. Instead ...

The power supply and audio poo poo is actually on a different circuit board from the control/front end side of things. Fortunately the power supply and amps are fine. I reverse engineered the power supply board (which is an atrocious design), and wired the car radio into it. They had everything set up as single ended inputs (input negative was tied to chassis ground) which doesn't really play nice with car radios. You get nasty ground loops with a setup like that. I cut a few traces and added some decoupling caps and stuff, and now it works great. It's even better than new since it has bluetooth and a remote. The original had a remote that was probably lost 15 years ago. This is the first time I've ever actually had a good use for a car radio remote.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I would have probably soldered a cheap Chinese A2DP chip in, but that's just as good. Congratulations on your abomination.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene
More Attex, less Bose.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

No way Bose thing is cool. That's stuff I used to make as a kid. I loved making stuff with broken electronics. It's fun. That is a reason to use a car stereo remote, I must have 20 of those things laying around for all the stereos I never needed them for. It probably sounds better than the bose internals too, haha.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I love little projects like that, nice work

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I bet that thing can do some sweet donuts on that ice. Edit: What would you even call donuts where forward motion is maintained? "sliding donuts" doesn't sound right, and I'm not finding any easy alternatives on google.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 17, 2018

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Crullers?

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
Brodies.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_wWGbHZQ7E

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

:kiss:

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

goddamn man. That is fabulous.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

:five:

6 wheel driftaroo is awesome.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

The ice was fairly well frozen, but not amazingly well frozen. It's supposed to be cold all week, warm up and rain a bit on friday, and then get immediately cold again. I'm expecting the ice skating conditions on saturday will be amazing again. It's great to put on my skates at the house, hope in the attex, and drive right onto the ice. Hopefully another inch or two of ice I'll be more comfortable cruising further down the lake, I actually brought the gopro then completely forgot to bring it for a ride.

Also, I have the broken attex piston on my desk at work, it's a good conversation piece for the few people who see it (and know what it is...). I'm in the back corner with my back to the wall so nobody actually sees me behind a wall of computer monitors (which is ideal). I'd post a pic but there's too much confidential/trade secret stuff on my desk, I'd have to sensor the picture to the point where there wouldn't be anything left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

So, with that this thing floats, it's not really a huge issue if it breaks through the ice, is it?

You'd have to be careful not to be thrown from it but if you cross a thin spot and you hear cracking it'll just bob down a bit and you should be able to scale your way out again? It might sit a bit low in the water to pull itself out but recovery shouldn't be too difficult I would think.

Better than trying to retrieve a snowmobile from the bottom of the lake at least.