Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Bajaha posted:

So, with that this thing floats, it's not really a huge issue if it breaks through the ice, is it?

You'd have to be careful not to be thrown from it but if you cross a thin spot and you hear cracking it'll just bob down a bit and you should be able to scale your way out again? It might sit a bit low in the water to pull itself out but recovery shouldn't be too difficult I would think.

Better than trying to retrieve a snowmobile from the bottom of the lake at least.

It doesn't really have a whole lot of traction on ice. It's certainly better than dredging it out from the bottom, but it would be a hell of an annoying recovery. Ice anchor, come-along, lotta swearing, etc. Still better than sitting at the bottom...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

What a great video. It’s like watching a classic Mini Cooper. Nobody has a bad time when they see a classic mini.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Few things...
If you need to use a lathe and don't want to drive to Pennsylvania remember I've got one in North Central Mass and you're welcome to use it anytime as long as I get like a few days notice.

If you want a new gear for that Merc window crank, and it can be cut from flat stock, put together a dwg file and tell me what thickness and kind of metal you want it cut from and I'll try and get one of the apps engineers at my work to do it.

Consider putting a stainless steel rub plate under the sprockets where the chain would eat your hull if it got thrown. It'll spread the load out and keep it from abrading...

Also I have a 7 horse Wisconsin 4 stroke you can just take (please take it) and was wondering if you had considered a brushless DC conversion. Even just a 160 amp alternator off a late 90s Durango is substantially the same as a 3 horsepower brushless DC motor if you energize the field winding and add a couple hall sensors for commutation, you could use a larger alternator on each side and run em with a basic 3 phase bridge per side and have full variable control as well as being able to use whatever generator motor you want and getting full torque from zero. Stick a Tesla badge on it :haw:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I should make a diesel/electric attex. It would basically be a train REEEEEEEE.

I have to make a really simple part for the transmission on a lathe, so I should take you up on that.

I'm literally gay for wisconsin engines. I have this silly old generator that's a complete tank.

So in attex news, I've been missing attex shenanigans as much if not more than everyone else. I've been busy, got laid off from my job (it wasn't just me, it was ~30 others in a big downturn of business), I had to find a new job and then I moved... So yea, sorry attex.

This is the new place:

My shitbox that pretty much only ever goes in a garage when it's broken juuuust barely makes it through the door. Both width and height is close. If I lift it and install bigger tires, it might not be able to drive out. It should be fine for an old mercedes and an attex, though.
Also, I have the abandoned road to attex up and down :D

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Ever since I first saw this thread, I've been super interested in these things and Argos, learning that Argo offers an 8x8, and has tracks to fit all their models. Tracks. Tracks!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Turn the abandoned road into a drag strip :getin:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

stevobob posted:

Ever since I first saw this thread, I've been super interested in these things and Argos, learning that Argo offers an 8x8, and has tracks to fit all their models. Tracks. Tracks!

YES DO IT!
There are generic tracks that will fit any machine with enough clearance between the tires and the tub. My attex has oversized tires so I can't fit tracks, but the later models are a bit bigger and should fit them.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Turn the abandoned road into a drag strip :getin:

Yea, and crash into the million dollar homes across the road... Or end in the parking lot of the funeral home, depends which way you wanna roll :D

My garage door has these outside handles. I don't have the key for them and would like to buy new cylinders and keys, but I have no idea what I'm looking for. Anyone recognize these? They have no markings inside or out.

The side door is a standard with a kwikset latch. I don't have the keys for that, either, but I can just go buy a new kwikset core with keys and slap it in.
If I can't find new cylinders for the garage doors, I might just disconnect the outside handles and only be able to open them from the inside. Kinda annoying, but not the end of the world.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

chrisgt posted:

My garage door has these outside handles. I don't have the key for them and would like to buy new cylinders and keys, but I have no idea what I'm looking for. Anyone recognize these? They have no markings inside or out.

The side door is a standard with a kwikset latch. I don't have the keys for that, either, but I can just go buy a new kwikset core with keys and slap it in.
If I can't find new cylinders for the garage doors, I might just disconnect the outside handles and only be able to open them from the inside. Kinda annoying, but not the end of the world.
Pull the handle and remove the core. Take it to a locksmith, and they'll probably be able to key-to-match or re-pin.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

sharkytm posted:

Pull the handle and remove the core. Take it to a locksmith, and they'll probably be able to key-to-match or re-pin.

Yea, that's probably the best plan. I think I'm going on a sorta spur of the moment 4000 mile roadtrip this week, then when I get back I start a new job. But I'll pick away at this. I'll probably start by doing the easy thing which is getting new cores for the kwikset door and disabling the handles on the garage doors. Then I'll have it secured and buy myself time.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

About 700 miles into a ~4000 mile trip, my sequoia started missing in a certain driving condition. At around 2k rpm +/- a few hundred, in either 3rd or OD with the TQ locked, it misses under light to medium throttle. Once I step on it just enough to unlock the TQ most of the missing is absorbed and it runs mostly fine. Cruising on the interstate over 75 and flatter roads cause no issues at all.
While it's missing or whatever, the exhaust smells really rich, the rich smell goes away once it starts running correctly again. There are no misfire codes, just p0135 and p0155 for the front o2 heaters. I've had those codes for nearly 70k miles since I bought it. I drive a shitload, but it's never done this before. It always goes into closed loop and runs fine. The occasional stumbly idle which I've ignored...

Now that I'm home I went to do spark plugs, since that's the low hanging fruit. The plugs all looked good, but it had iridium plugs and it's supposed to have regular plugs. They were almost double the specified gap. Maybe the problem. I haven't done a very comprehensive test drive. The more concerning thing to me, however, is that five of the coils looked like this...

It would be really nice if that was the solution to the problem. I should probably also clean the throttle body, and being 100 miles shy of 270k miles, I have a timing belt on my plate. The last one was done 2k miles late so...

I have yet to drag the attex to the new place, with the roadtrip and everything else going on I haven't had the time yet. But it's coming.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Some RTV oughta at least help if you can't get new ones on the road. Wait you're home now. Still, something to try to see if it improves the problem before dumping money on coils.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Haha, from the original picture I thought that was part of your exhaust. That's even funnier that it's the coil.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

They may be arcing onto the walls of the spark plug tubes and causing that odd misfire. I've only had a few customers with it in like 4 years, but its a thing that can happen.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Haha, from the original picture I thought that was part of your exhaust. That's even funnier that it's the coil.

Glad I'm not the only one.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Yea, I'm not sure if it's the coils or not. The problem started kinda suddenly and I can't imagine 5 coils just did that all at once. Peeling the case back and looking in is just more plastic, so I dunno if this is an issue or not. It didn't act better or worse when it was raining or dry. Seemed a bit worse at higher altitude.
I haven't gone on a very comprehensive drive since doing the plugs, but I couldn't get it to act up. There was a bit too much traffic on the interstate to really try and get it to miss.
It's a reproducible problem, it's just hard to find the exact right bit of road to reproduce it. I have another few hundred miles of driving this weekend, possibly towing, so we'll see what happens.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

chrisgt posted:

About 700 miles into a ~4000 mile trip, my sequoia started missing in a certain driving condition. At around 2k rpm +/- a few hundred, in either 3rd or OD with the TQ locked, it misses under light to medium throttle. Once I step on it just enough to unlock the TQ most of the missing is absorbed and it runs mostly fine. Cruising on the interstate over 75 and flatter roads cause no issues at all.
While it's missing or whatever, the exhaust smells really rich, the rich smell goes away once it starts running correctly again. There are no misfire codes, just p0135 and p0155 for the front o2 heaters. I've had those codes for nearly 70k miles since I bought it. I drive a shitload, but it's never done this before. It always goes into closed loop and runs fine. The occasional stumbly idle which I've ignored...

I don't even know if it's a thing for that motor, but that sounds exactly like the 4.6 ford mod motor behavior when the EGR ports start clogging up. It eventually get bad enough/you drive it under those conditions enough to start popping a P0401. It's also entirely possible your current codes pre-empt a 401 (I don't know the mapping on that ecu at all)

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Motronic posted:

I don't even know if it's a thing for that motor, but that sounds exactly like the 4.6 ford mod motor behavior when the EGR ports start clogging up. It eventually get bad enough/you drive it under those conditions enough to start popping a P0401. It's also entirely possible your current codes pre-empt a 401 (I don't know the mapping on that ecu at all)

I'm not sure if it has EGR or not, tbh. I don't remember seeing anything EGRish when I was doing the plugs. That's honestly the most time I've spent with the hood open since owning it. Otherwise all I've done is change the oil. All my stuff is a disaster mess in a pile from moving, but if I can find my cable for techstream it might give me pending codes or something that I'm not getting on my normal OBD reader. I really hate issues like this that are annoying to reproduce and don't throw codes.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Iridium plugs shouldn't make a difference in how it runs vs copper, just in how long you can go between plug changes. But having double the gap definitely isn't helping. With that kind of gap those may have been original, or at the least, had over 100k on them.

Also, if you put in anything except coppers, I hope you didn't try to gap them. :ohdear:

Torque can usually pull pending codes so long as you don't shut off the engine before pulling codes after you feel a miss, but it usually takes a good number of misses before most ECUs will even throw a pending.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I was thinking "that's a really weird way to run a header, why would it run over the battery like that?".

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 12, 2019

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

With 270k miles, if those were the original plugs I'm really loving impressed. I don't have torque, but I do have toyota techstream. I'm just too lazy to go dick with it. And yea, it isn't missing long enough to pop a code, unfortunately. I have a few hundred miles of driving today, with some potential towing (uh oh...), so we'll see how it goes.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Motronic posted:

And this why you don't start throwing parts at an engine code. Not knowing the root cause (in this case cleaning out the EGR passages in the manifold solves it) you would be mistaken to replace the DPFE sensor. Which isn't exactly cheap.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

chrisgt posted:

YES DO IT!
There are generic tracks that will fit any machine with enough clearance between the tires and the tub. My attex has oversized tires so I can't fit tracks, but the later models are a bit bigger and should fit them.

Yea, and crash into the million dollar homes across the road... Or end in the parking lot of the funeral home, depends which way you wanna roll :D

A little late to the party, but I think what you are looking at is something like this: T-Locking handled keyed Lock for metal doors. A lock smith should be able to re-key but I think that link should also work if you want a new and less crusty handle.

*edit* You can also get a "commercial grade" one for $10 + shipping the advantage here being that it screws on from the inside. Your current handle and the one from Home Depot could both easily be removed by removing the two screws, I think that would leave your door locked but just slightly less secure. I don't think either option is truly secure from a determined thief but the commercial one is a tiny bit more secure.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 12, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Removing the handle absolutely unlocks them - the lock itself is part of the handle mechanism on that style. You just have to unscrew it from the door, then rotate it without removing it.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Thanks! I thought you would need an to use another square rod to actually rotate the locking mechanism but clearly once you have unscrewed the base, you have a convenient square rod ready to unlock the door.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

If it's a center mounted lock with bars going to the door railing, you run the risk of the bars falling down a few inches if you pull the lock out. Which somehow leaves you slightly more secure.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I've put about 500 miles on the toyota since doing the plugs. About 100 of those miles were towing, it runs, drives, and tows like a dream.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Is that a frigging biturbo

What is wrong with you

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

kastein posted:

What is wrong with you

Normal, it is being towed.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
This thread is about to get loving amazing

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

Rally it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kastein posted:

What is wrong with you

A frigging biturbo with hood scoops

Please tell me they are functional

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

What is wrong with you

Subaru ownership wasn't painful enough.

Motronic posted:

Rally it.

Do this. NEFR!!!

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

kastein posted:

What is wrong with you
I'm going to treat that as a rhetorical question.

I'm not a fan of the stick-on hood scoops, so those will have to go eventually. I'm sure I'll have a hard time cleaning up the paint under them.

Right now it has tires from 1998, which is terrifying. The fact that they hold air is shocking. It starts up and runs great, but the clutch slave cylinder is completely dicked so I haven't been able to drive it. I got it on and off the trailer with a comealong and somehow managed to not run myself over. Oh it also needs a muffler or a glasspack or something. I'm sure it needs a load of other things I don't even know exist yet. This ought to be a fun adventure.

Ignore the shackle hanging from the tow hook in the last picture, that was part of dragging it onto the trailer.

chrisgt fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 13, 2019

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

This thread just keeps getting better :five:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The hood scoops are the only good thing about that car.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
This thread just got a big booster shot of Speed and Class.

Motronic posted:

Rally it.

Thirding this.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Not sure about rally, but I would like to take it to a small hillclimb event.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Im speechless, holy shitballs

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

chrisgt posted:

YES DO IT!

Those handles are likely to be some lovely wafer lock that’s not worth getting keys made for and you are probably stuck replacing it with the same garbage due to size constraints. Get one of the better options already suggested.

Englishman alone
Nov 28, 2013
The best thread. A want to see the logic of 80s Italian engineering. Is it a carb or fuel injection?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Midjack posted:

Those handles are likely to be some lovely wafer lock that’s not worth getting keys made for and you are probably stuck replacing it with the same garbage due to size constraints. Get one of the better options already suggested.

iforge has similar handles he's sending me, so I think I'll be able to just bolt them on. I'm not looking for fort knox, just looking to keep the casual thief from walking in and taking poo poo.

Englishman alone posted:

The best thread. A want to see the logic of 80s Italian engineering. Is it a carb or fuel injection?

It's an 87, so the first year of fuel injection, twin intercoolers, and the beefier LSD rear end. I think there were a ton of other improvements in 87, but I know pretty much nothing about these cars.