Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I hope you got some lakes nearby so you can test the amphibious-ness of this bad boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I’m impressed as hell that you got an engine of an unknown age to fire up so quickly. :stare:

Also these things are deceptively simple, for some reason I thought they’d have hydrostatic transmissions but a CVT makes sense in a way. I was wondering why the parts websites for these things advertised “transmission pucks” and I’m guessing it has to do with locking the inner bands and transmitting power as you said.

It’s cool as hell in an archaic way.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I’m betting that 2-smoke probably puts out a beefy 25 ft-lb of torque at best and an el-cheapo chain is more than enough to survive whatever the gearbox multiplies.

That kind of brings up another thing: how are these on climbing hills? All the literature, videos, whatever I’ve seen on these they’re mostly used on flat surfaces and in water.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

chrisgt posted:

The CVT allows things to have good low end but wind way up in the high end, I think these things do like 35mph on land and need all the wheel speed they can get to move in the water. Mine has an outboard mount, though :getin:

So uh who’s got a Mercury 150 Motor we can slap a 9.9 sticker on?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It is sort of incredible just how much engineering went into this thing that is at first glance a bathtub with some quad poo poo farted into it.

Here I was thinking it was remarkably simple but yeah that transmission is something else.

Also I know the backup engine is running but I still have a sick desire to see a CR500 motor stuffed into this bathtub for science. Or some sort of Captain Insano-esque snowmobile motor.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Gide us some video of it running, I need it to live vicariously through you.

Edit: Also, as much as I hate them, you could install one of those obnoxious off-road LED light bars on it, as I bet those old halogen lights probably beat up the battery and generator more than a smaller light bar would. It’d probably give you more time to screw around in the woods after dusk.

funeral home DJ fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 24, 2018

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Add me in on the “This thing moves much faster than it should and that’s amazing” list.

Now to find a small lake and go full-tilt into it. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
“Blew up the engine, here’s the annihilated piston, I’m giving up on the project”

*48 hours later*

“Engine fired up, took it for another test ride and-“