Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I got called in to cover a 3:30 - ??? shift (probably 10pm) because a coworker caught Covid.

Get me your orders when you can and I'll try to get the turn done ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Volmarias posted:

Eagerly awaiting the arrival of the final boss labelled "AS PER MY LAST SPACEMAIL"

And the healer/support adds named "PLEASE DO THE NEEDFUL" and "WHY IS THIS A MEETING"

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

sent.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Just popping in to say that I have my first game of Lancer scheduled for this weekend and it's this thread's fault. (Whether that game will happen or not is another story entirely). This is also my first time GMing a game. Ever. So, wish me luck I guess

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Good luck!

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

And the healer/support adds named "PLEASE DO THE NEEDFUL" and "WHY IS THIS A MEETING"

Can't forget "AND REVERT"

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Lancer Interlude: Round 1 – Turn 1

“poo poo, Mirage!” Frank cursed as a shot from his Unraveller passed through empty air. His second shot was true, and one of the pirate Operators vanished in a ball of plasma as its micro-scale teleporters discharged and made it disappear. Whether it vanished into blinkspace or into some other paracausal realm hardly mattered, it was gone.

A moment later the second operator reappeared, albeit briefly. Rather than shouldering its energy rifle, its teleporters flashed in quick succession and tried to lodge it firmly inside Nana’s Everest. The Operator exploded spectacularly, staggering the Everest and even scorching Triada’s Black Witch as the energies held at bay by the Operator’s teleportation field lost cohesion.

“Crazy fuckin’ pirates!” Triada cursed, unable to maintain even the thinnest veneer of respect.

Movement Map

Pre-Battle
Swallowtail scouts the battlefield, adding rough terrain to 0925, 1025, 1126, 1226 and soft cover to 0823, 0923, 0924, 1023
Pegasus mimic gun rolls 10, 3, 9

Combat
Swallowtail (Player)
- Moves to 0630!
Mirage
- [Reaction] Blip: A hostile character takes an action in LOS
- - Teleports Operator #1 to 1629!
Swallowtail (Player)
- [Quick Tech] invades [Pyro] to [Eject Power Cores]
- - Rolled (5 + 14 = 19) vs. E-Def, hit! Pyro gains 2 heat, Pyro becomes jammed!
- [Skirmish] Fires Unraveller at [Operator] #1, target out of line of sight!
- [Overcharge] to gain an extra action, gains 1 heat! (What’s the Swallowtail’s heat cap again?)
- [Skirmish] Fires Unraveller at [Operator] #2
- - Rolled (4 + 1 = 5) missed, deals [reliable] 2 energy damage to Operator #2! Operator #2 self-immolates!

Operator #1 EVEN IF YOU SEE IT COMING
- Moves to 1127
- [Full Action] Telefrag
- - Teleports into [Everest], target must save AGI
- [Everest] Rolls (0 + 4 = 4) vs Save target [unknown], fails!
- - [Everest] suffers 8 AP damage and becomes [Jammed] until the end of its next turn
- - [Operator] shunted into hex 0228, suffers [1] energy damage!
- [Operator] self immolates, all adjacent characters must make an AGI save.
- - [Everest] Rolls (0 + 11 = 11) vs Save Target [unknown], fails! Suffers 6 energy damage!
- - [Black Witch] Rolls (2 + 4 = 6) vs Save Target [unknown], fails! Suffers 6 energy damage!

Active Map

Primary Objective 1
- Open the Exterior Blast Door
- - Exit your mech and hack the door using the computer in 0923 (0/1)
- - Deal 40 damage to exterior door (0/40)
- - Bait the Bombard into damaging the door twice (0/2)

Primary Objective 2
- Open the Interior Blast Door
- - Exit your mech and hack the door using the computer in 2404 (0/1)
- - Deal 40 damage to interior door (0/40)

Alternative Objective
- Defeat Most Enemies (0/?)

Waiting Players

Activated Players

Waiting NPCs

Activated NPC(s)

Special Rules
- Any attack launched by the Bombard that would strike the Exterior Door is delayed in striking by 1 turn (not round).

Orders Due
Wednesday - Turn 1
Thursday - Turn 2
Friday - Turn 3
Saturday - Turn 4

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Heatcap is 6

Mmm, unfortunate artifact of the format is blip is even more bullshit since crafting orders for every eventuality of it's use isn't really workable.

I have tools ( Walking Armory) to deal with that move, and in real time I could've used it but :shrug:

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 14, 2022

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
What?

Edit: Ah. I had to burn a very valuable reaction to pull off that gimmick.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 14, 2022

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Okay operator grunts with telefrag are hilarious.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Movement is not an Action, so it cannot serve as a trigger for Blip :eng101:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Conspiratiorist posted:

Movement is not an Action, so it cannot serve as a trigger for Blip :eng101:

Eh, either way. One of the Operators gets moved out of range or out of line of sight.

I'll definitely try to remember that for next time (not that I expect the Mirage will be surviving this round)

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 14, 2022

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Oh yeah, there were still valid ways to make the plays here - just pointing it out for the record.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The logistics of waiting 4 rounds to hit a door twice with a loading weapon is pretty insane, in hindsight. I think I'm going to reduce that requirement to 1 bombard hit. If you can get it to hit the door, you're in. No questions asked.

The door guards are meant to be a threat in a "what do we need to clear out to accomplish our goal safely?" sort of way.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 14, 2022

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The Bombard's main gun isn't actually Loading, just Ordnance and Inaccurate.

e: by the way, I think some of the player sheets are reflecting heat and Statuses from the last sitrep that shouldn't have carried over. IE, I should be at zero heat and not slowed or jammed at the moment.

The Oldest Man fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 14, 2022

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
^^^ I thought I cleared those, sorry!

The original plan was a Rainmaker since the core rulebook's initial description was:
Rainmaker Long-range artillery that shoot delayed-impact rockets, dealing significant damage

What the core rulebook didn't say (in the one-sentence enemy preview) is that the Rainmaker doesn't so much have delayed-action missiles as it is a generator of a series of murderzones that make things harder for players who need to move to kill things.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Notoriously lethal NPC club:
- Operators
- Rainmakers
- Spectres
- Ronins

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Conspiratiorist posted:

Notoriously lethal NPC club:

Scouts

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

No Room for a Wallflower campaign module spoilers
Eidolons
jk its lurkers

The Oldest Man fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 14, 2022

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Lancer Interlude: Round 1 – Turn 2

Thou Shalt Not’s hands curled into an anahata as Triada reopened the Diluvian Arc. The swarm of energy-redirecting drones interacted with and adjusted the Black Witch’s own intense magnetic fields allowing Noah, the former civilian air-traffic controller, to redirect enemy attacks and launch shrapnel back at them.

Almost cheekily, as if making a mockery of Noah’s efforts, the little enemy scout took a shot at the Black Witch with its marker rifle. Little more than a targeting laser at its core, the marker rifle painted the Black Witch before Noah realized the threat. Its attempt to redirect and heighten the marker rifle’s harmless datastream came just a moment too late. As if to further its mockery, a moment later the Scout initiated a burst upload, flooding sensors and even the visible light spectrum with blinding amounts of raw data to hide itself and its allies from sight.

Movement Map

Pre-Battle
Swallowtail scouts the battlefield, adding rough terrain to 0925, 1025, 1126, 1226 and soft cover to 0823, 0923, 0924, 1023
Pegasus mimic gun rolls 10, 3, 9

Combat
Black Witch (Player)
- [Full Action] Stabilize, expends 1 repair to regain full HP.
- - House Guard 1: clears Jammed status from Everest
- [Overcharge] to gain an extra Action, gains 2 heat!
- [Quick Action] opens the [Diluvian Arc]
- Moves to 0729!

Scout SHOOT THE OTHER GUY
- [Quick Action] Fires Marker Rifle at Black Witch!
Black Witch (Player)
- [Reaction] Diluvian Arc trigger: use or adjacent ally is targeted by a ranged attack
- - Gains 1 heat, rolled 2, diluvian arc fails!
Scout
- - Rolled (4 + 20 + [2] = 26) crit for 0 damage! Black Witch receives Lock On, as long as Lock On persists Black Witch is Shredded and can’t Hide or become Invisible!
- [Quick Action] Activates Cloaking Field, all allied characters within r3 become invisible until the end of the Scout’s next turn! Scout becomes immobilized!

Active Map

Primary Objective 1

Primary Objective 2

Alternative Objective

Waiting Players

Activated Players

Waiting NPCs

Activated NPC(s)

Special Rules
- Any attack launched by the Bombard that would strike the Exterior Door is delayed in striking by 1 turn (not round).

Orders Due
Wednesday - Turn 1
Thursday - Turn 2
Friday - Turn 3
Saturday - Turn 4

PTN’s note: We’re a turn behind because of work. To avoid the OpForce getting a triple activation at the end of the round, the OpForce may* get two activations next turn depending on how many units are still waiting to go.

* Given that the player strikers haven't gone yet, they probably won't.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

It's unlikely we'll kill anything until next Round tbqh.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Lancer Interlude: Round 1 – Turn 3

Charlotte bit back a curse. She’d had the Pyro dead to rights, a hard lock bolstered by the Swallowtail—and her shot had simply missed a target that was, rather notoriously, nearly as easy to hit as the planet she was standing on. Partially incensed, but mostly out of sheer disbelief, she called up the Pegasus’s fire control systems, plotting the shot moment-by-moment in a real time hologram to figure out how her perfect killshot had missed while Mightier than the Sword or Pen’s automated systems finished the rest of her planned attack without her input.

The Pegasus’s sensors were perfect—insofar as anything it could see, she could see from any angle. She whirled the scene around her, tracking the shot as it bore down on the pitifully slow bruiser of a mech. Forward and backward, from the moment she fired to the moment the shot missed, until she rewound far enough to spot the tell. Either sensing danger or simply lucky, the Pyro’s pilot had begun moving before she’d even fired—but in a way that made it appear stationary from her vantage point. One leg slipped back, and rather than a sidestep the Pyro turned a handful of degrees to the side and that had been enough. The shells from her mimic gun missed by millimeters, if her target had been a human Charlotte’s shot could’ve shaved their eyebrows.

“Now I know everything,” Charlotte Yan-Lun al-Amir growled. “I didn’t miss. It dodged!”

Movement Map

Combat
Pegasus (Player)
Swallowtail (Player)
- [Reaction] Lesson of the Held Image Trigger: An allied character starts their turn
- Inflicts [Lock On] on Pyro (PTN’s note: It’s weird that the rulebook labels this as ‘attempts to inflict Lock On’ when Lock On appears to be an automatic success)
Pegasus (Player)
- [Free Action] Stable, Steady: gains +1 accuracy on all rifle attacks, becomes immobilized
- [Free Action] Unshackles the Ushabti
- [Free Action] Unshackled Ushabti Omnigun deals 1 kinetic damage to Scout! Mech destroyed!
- [Free Action] Unshackled Ushabti Omnigun deals 1 kinetic damage to Mirage! Mech destroyed!
- [Free Action] Unshackled Ushabti Omnigun deals 1 kinetic damage to Hornet!
- [Barrage] on Pyro with Mimic Gun, consuming Lock On; and Hornet with Smartgun (consuming 1 accuracy to [Zero In]) / Oracle LMG
- - Pyro attempts to evade the heavy weapon attack with [Lightning Reflexes]: rolls 5, succeeds!
- - Smartgun rolls (4 + [9] + 3 = 16) vs E-Def, hit for 4 kinetic damage!
- - Oracle LMG rolls (4 + 7 + 4 = 15) vs Eva, missed!
- [Free Action] fires integrated Oracle LMG at Hornet
- - Oracle LMG rolls (4 + 18 + 3 = 25) vs Eva, hit for [By The Way I Know Everything] 2 kinetic damage!
- [Free Action] fires Autogun at Hornet
- - Autogun rolls (4 + 9 + 1 = 14) vs Eva, missed!

PTN’s note: I think order of operations matters here and eliminating the Scout prior to other attacks removes the Scout’s invisibility field immediately, please correct me if I’m wrong!

Pyro THAT WASN'T AN ACCIDENT
- [Full Action] Stabilizes, removing [Jammed]!
- [Firebreak Shield] automatically deployed into hexes 0925, 1025, 1126, 1226!

Active Map

Primary Objective 1

Primary Objective 2

Alternative Objective

Waiting Players

Activated Players

Waiting NPCs

Activated NPC(s)

Special Rules

Orders Due
Wednesday - Turn 1
Thursday - Turn 2
Friday - Turn 3
Saturday - Turn 4

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 16, 2022

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Destroying the Scout indeed eliminates the Invisibility effect.

Also, thanks to Spotter 2, Lock-On on the Pyro reveals its numerical stats (Armor, Speed, Evasion, E-Def, Mech Skills, and HP).

Where did the Smartgun shot at the Hornet go? Pegasus makes 4 attacks: Mimic Gun, Smartgun, Aux Oracle, Integrated Oracle.

PS: did Everest not get Invigorating Scanners?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Conspiratiorist posted:

Also, thanks to Spotter 2, Lock-On on the Pyro reveals its numerical stats (Armor, Speed, Evasion, E-Def, Mech Skills, and HP).

Sure

Conspiratiorist posted:

Where did the Smartgun shot at the Hornet go? Pegasus makes 4 attacks: Mimic Gun, Smartgun, Aux Oracle, Integrated Oracle.

The "Mimic Gun" there was the Smartgun, I was thinking about fluff and hosed up. The Mimic Gun was fired at the Pyro, which dodged.

Conspiratiorist posted:

PS: did Everest not get Invigorating Scanners?

The what now?

Edit: Instructions for that weren't included in the Swallowtail's reaction order, nor did the Everest send a movement order. :shrug:

If they're wanting to, conditions have been met so I can still move them.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 16, 2022

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: Instructions for that weren't included in the Swallowtail's reaction order, nor did the Everest send a movement order. :shrug:

If they're wanting to, conditions have been met so I can still move them.

Sent! (Yesterday)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Ah, I missed that completely, that's my fault. I'm really tired.

You're in 0430

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

PTN are we resolving the last turn of the round Sunday or Wednesday?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Today, if I'm off work at a reasonable time, or today/tomorrow if I'm not and can't finish things.

Preferably today.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Lancer Interlude: Round 1 – Turn 4

Nana’s heavy cannon fire missed the Pyro by centimeters as it took another half-step and bowed, seeing it safely beneath Nana’s volley as the heavy recoil of her weapon brought the muzzle up with each successive shot.

“—must have some sort of paracausal sensor suite,” Triada’s voice filled the silence after the burst. “Or a predictive algorithm—it knows where our shots are going before we do and just moves out of the way.”

“No,” Nana replied as her half-aimed potshot blew the Hornet out of the sky. It crashed into the snow between her and the Pyro, but her attention wasn’t on it. Her heart was racing—not from fear, but excitement. Mercenaries didn’t tend to last as long as Nana had, they eventually retired or joined Albatross or simply died. The only ones that lasted were those still desperately walking the fine line between success and failure; and the true battle junkies who’d grown addicted to the noise and the rush and the terror of those few seconds of excitement between interminable stretches of boredom.

“No,” Nana reiterated with a grin as she put her next salvo purposefully over the Pyro’s head. It didn’t even flinch. Her normally composed features had twisted into a rictus grin as that heart-pounding desire to win flooded her veins. “This one’s got real combat experience. They’re not like the small fries we’ve been grinding into the snow. This one’s a lancer.”

Movement Map

Combat
Everest (Player)
- [Overcharge] to gain 1 additional action, gains 2 heat!
- [Skirmish] with HMG vs. Pyro
- - [Free Action] Skirmisher 2 to move to hex 0429!
- - Pyro attempts to evade the heavy weapon attack with [Lightning Reflexes]: rolled 5, succeeds!
- [Barrage] with Unraveler vs Hornet and HMG vs. Pyro
- - Rolls (4 + 12 = 16) vs Eva, misses but deals 2 reliable energy damage to the target! Hornet destroyed!
- - Pyro attempts to evade the heavy weapon attack with [Lightning Reflexes]: rolled 5, succeeds! (PTN’s note: Three times in a row? Really, dice? The Pyro was only supposed to mess with the players a little :gonk: )

Bombard REAP THE WHIRLWIND
- Moves to 0305!
- [Quick Action] Boosts to 0406!

Active Map

Primary Objective 1

Primary Objective 2

Alternative Objective

Waiting Players

Activated Players

Waiting NPCs

Activated NPC(s)

Special Rules

Orders Due
Wednesday - Turn 1
Thursday - Turn 2
Friday - Turn 3
Saturday - Turn 4

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 19, 2022

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Lightning Reflexes Veteran Pyro with buffed HP wants to be the boss fight :v:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It hasn't even done anything yet.

Now watch its firewall fail six times in a row.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
The Bombard doesn't seem to have moved on the Active map.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Oh, yeah, the active map is showing the previous turn's.

Also, I had the Everest do a final move to 0828 as part of my orders that appears to have been glossed over.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Not sure how I managed that, but it's fixed.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Conspiratiorist posted:

Lightning Reflexes Veteran Pyro with buffed HP wants to be the boss fight :v:

"Shoot my other friends so I can defect outta this hellhole without breaking contracts!!!!"

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I got called into work again and didn't get this turn's orders in time to do anything with them. I'm sorry. :saddowns:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Lancer Interlude: Round 2 – Turn 1

Nana’s grin only widened as she dropped her Heavy Machine Gun, trusting its magnetic sling to whip it back into place on her mech’s back.

“Challenge accepted,” she growled as she popped an overheated fuel rod into the fuel rod gun and fired it at the Pyro’s face. The shot couldn’t do much damage, and the Pyro didn’t even try to dodge—exactly the reaction she’d been hoping for when she took a shot from the hip with her displacer. A blinkspace rupture enveloped the Pyro for a moment and a moment later the other ‘Mech snapped back into real space mostly intact but scorched and leaking unfathomable energies from its reactor ports.

With a practiced ease Nana ejected the Displacer’s battery and, against every design document ever produced by every manufacturer, hot-swapped it with a fully charged spare. She barely had the battery locked in place when she fired again; but the deceptively slow Pyro was already in motion. Elated by the surprise challenge, Nana popped off another shot with her Fuel Rod Gun as she tried to make some space but couldn’t tell if the shot had any significant effect as, heedless of its own safety, the Pyro closed inexorably. Heat shimmer surrounded it and the ice beneath their feet melted down to bare rock as its flamethrower bathed Nana’s Everest in cloying, white-hot plasma.

Movement Map

Combat
Everest (Player)
- [Free Action] Activates Asura Protocol gaining 2 extra quick actions or 1 extra full action (1/3 charges remaining, 1/scene), gains 3 heat!
- Moves to 0824!
- [Barrage] with Fuel Rod Gun on Pyro and Displacer on hex 1124!
- - Firebreak Shield has a 4+ chance to block Fuel Rod Gun: rolled 2, fails!
- - Fuel Rod Gun rolls (4 + 19 = 23) vs. Eva, crit for ([2] + 2 - 3 armor = 1) energy damage, clears 4 heat!
- - Displacer rolls (4 + 4 = 8) vs Eva, hit for 10 AP energy damage! Everest gains 10 heat!

PTN’s note: This puts the Everest at Heat Cap. If I’m understanding the overheating rules correctly you don’t take stress until you exceed your heat cap, so the Everest is fine at 11 but burns up if it gains any extra heat after that.

- [Quick Action] Activates Redundant Systems Upgrade to stabilize as a quick action (1/3 charges remaining)! Clears all heat and reloads Displacer
- [Skirmish] Fires Displacer at hex 1124!
- - Displacer rolls (4 + 1 = 5) vs Eva, missed!
- - [Free Action] Skirmisher moves to 0823!

Pyro
- Moves to 0924!
Everest
- [Reaction] [Overwatch] with Fuel Rod Gun (Threat 3) vs Pyro
- - Fuel Rod Gun rolls (4 + 6 = 10) vs Eva, hits for ([1] + 2 - 3 armor = 0) energy damage, clears 4 heat!
- - [Free Action] Skirmisher moves to 0622!
- [Quick Action] Boosts to 0723!
- [Skirmish] with Flamethrower against all targets in Cone 5! Pyro gains 4 heat!
- - Flamethrower rolls (2 + 11 - 1 = 12) vs. Eva 8, hit for 4 Burn! Everest is burning!
- [Automatic] Firebreak Shield deployed in hex 0823, 0724, 0624, 0525!

Active Map

Primary Objective 1

Primary Objective 2

Alternative Objective

Waiting Players

Activated Players

Waiting NPCs

Activated NPC(s)

Special Rules

Orders Due
Wednesday - Turn 1
Thursday - Turn 2
Friday - Turn 3
Saturday - Turn 4

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 21, 2022

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Make the fire robot even hotter. Interesting stratergy.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The heat cap thing is right, but definitely counterintuitive and inconsistent since you lose a structure at 0 HP rather than -1. Effectively everyone has 1 extra heat cap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Sindai posted:

The heat cap thing is right, but definitely counterintuitive and inconsistent since you lose a structure at 0 HP rather than -1. Effectively everyone has 1 extra heat cap.

Artifact of one filling up and one counting down.

But heatgunning players is pretty trivial if you're really trying.