Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Fraction Jackson posted:

And here I thought I was jumping from olive branch to olive branch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Fraction Jackson posted:

And here I thought I was putting out an olive branch.

You were. I chose to slap it away.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
And this is why Solaris VII is the only good place in all of Mechwarrior.

Because everyone likes Solaris VII. :colbert:

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Olive trees are only light woods

Defiance Industries posted:

You were. I chose to slap it away.

I laughed, and also wanted to keep it going and give the "how sad" speech like this is some serious affront. But I will take a third option! Instead I'm going to go for

John Madden posted:

Well you know Al, sometimes a team just gets sick and tired of what's going on in a game, and they do something maybe a little goofy or a little unsportsmanlike. Sometimes it's on the coach, other times it's on the players, but the discipline just kind of slips and the team finds itself in a hole it didn't need to be in. Even, well, uh, even good teams end up there sometimes, but when a team gets there it's just hard to get them back to where they need to be to put points on the scoreboard and get back into the game.

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 11, 2018

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

So I have pink hair, an advanced targeting computer and a command battlemech? I can live with that. Command battlemech quirk means I can remove Ace from an opponent correct?

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

PBJ posted:

gently caress ComStar, that is all.

I can get behind this.

Edit: Also, yaaaaay, Shadow Hawk! :neckbeard: My favorite aggressively subpar Medium, reborn for a new era! I can't wait to see how it performs now.

Rorahusky fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jun 11, 2018

Amhazair
Feb 13, 2012

Real Madrid didn't blow out the game's power curve for 20 years by having gear that made everything but four items obsolete. It's not just a story thing, they're also mechanically detrimental.

Well, Real Madrid did blow out the game's power curve for 20 years by having the support of the (Franco's) government... :)

Edit: drat, way to late after the original post to make this reply still relevant but anyways

Amhazair fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 11, 2018

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Rorahusky posted:

Edit: Also, yaaaaay, Shadow Hawk! :neckbeard: My favorite aggressively subpar Medium, reborn for a new era! I can't wait to see how it performs now.

i'm hoping for HBS BT levels of performance, aka "quite possibly best in class" :v:

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Psion posted:

And you know you're talking to a real person, right?

Just lol if you think any of us are real people

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

You're all real something. :argh:

I might even acknowledge you as people if you had taken the opportunity 5+ years ago, well within the scope of this LP, to apply for Cappellan citizenship. You'd be through the process and be full citizens by now!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Psion posted:

i'm hoping for HBS BT levels of performance, aka "quite possibly best in class" :v:

Having all three damage types and an advanced targeting computer is really beneficial. Nothing can no-sell a Shadow Hawk.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It just occurred to me that the fancy King Dadlas that the Demon Hawks scored in trade is obsolete tech now. Is there a NewTech variant?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

A Capellan bragging about citizenship feels a lot like a Federast bragging about being able to read. Everyone else can just do it without having to jump through any hoops.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

A Capellan bragging about citizenship feels a lot like a Federast bragging about being able to read. Everyone else can just do it without having to jump through any hoops.

Capellan citizenship brings you actual benefits, where as being a FedSuns peasant that can read just get you beaten up by the rest of the local hole diggers for being a bit of a poncy fruit.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Zaodai posted:

It just occurred to me that the fancy King Dadlas that the Demon Hawks scored in trade is obsolete tech now. Is there a NewTech variant?

I don't believe there is. Not yet anyway. There are only a few Assault 'Mechs upgraded to Newtech, since why do you need Assault 'Mechs when your Mediums are now as tough, if not tougher than they are, and for a fraction of a cost and resources.

The heaviest "mech in the game so far that's been upgraded to Newtech is the Hauptmann, I believe. Because Defiance Industries.

Rorahusky fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 11, 2018

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

PoptartsNinja posted:

Having all three damage types and an advanced targeting computer is really beneficial. Nothing can no-sell a Shadow Hawk.

Are the rules for targeting computers on your Patreon? I was curious what the difference is.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

seaborgium posted:

Are the rules for targeting computers on your Patreon? I was curious what the difference is.

Basic Targeting Computers set the user's gunnery to 3 unless it's better (and lets you shoot and make a melee attack without penalty, auto-pass running on concrete, etc). They weigh 1 ton per weight class (1 ton for light 'Mechs, 4 tons for Assaults) which most weight classes can manage. Clanners tend to eschew them.

Advanced Targeting Computers do everything the basic computers do but also cap the enemy's max move mod at 2 (jumping still adds +1 to this). They weigh one ton more than the basic variety which is actually surprisingly difficult for a lot of weight classes to spring for when medium lasers weigh 2.5 tons and heat sinks are all singles.

Mediums have the easiest time picking up an advanced TarComp and get good benefit out of them since they can typically spare 3 tons and can probably expect to be light hunting at least some of the time, where an assault might not be willing to give up 5 tons when they can spend 3 on a Command Console/Dual Cockpit instead.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 11, 2018

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

seaborgium posted:

They are on the Patreon, but to summarize the difference.

No Targeting Computer: Just use your Gunnery skill. It's like Old Battletech.

Basic Targeting Computer: Treat your Gunnery skill as though it were 3, or what your Gunnery skill is if your Gunnery skill is better. Also lets you pass incidental Piloting checks for things like running on pavement as long as you're not shooting or being shot at. Useful for complete noob pilots who normally wouldn't be able to hit the broad side of a barn, but a waste of tonnage if you've outgrown it.

Advanced Targeting Computer: Same as above, but your opponent can't get a movement mod better than +2 (+3 if they're jumping) against you. Handy if you're machine is specialized in taking out Light 'Mechs, but utterly wasted against anything slow.

Or Poptarts could beat me to the punch.

But anyway, I loooove the new Shadow Hawk. It's got a nice weapon spread to help it negate armor type advantages, it's nice and mobile, and it's also a pretty nasty bastard in melee. An 11 damage Punch or Kick followed by 4 SRMs is nothing to sneeze at for a Medium 'Mech. Plus it runs pretty cool so long as you're not Jumping and firing all your weapons at once... though with the new heat scale, it may be beneficial to run at least somewhat hot to make your melee attacks more potent and you're speed a little better.

Rorahusky fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 11, 2018

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

PoptartsNinja posted:

Basic Targeting Computers set the user's gunnery to 3 unless it's better (and lets you shoot and make a melee attack without penalty, auto-pass running on concrete, etc). They weigh 1 ton per weight class (1 ton for light 'Mechs, 4 tons for Assaults) which most weight classes can manage. Clanners tend to eschew them.

Advanced Targeting Computers do everything the basic computers do but also cap the enemy's max move mod at 2 (jumping still adds +1 to this). They weigh one ton more than the basic variety which is actually surprisingly difficult for a lot of weight classes to spring for when medium lasers weigh 2.5 tons and heat sinks are all singles.

Mediums have the easiest time picking up an advanced TarComp and get good benefit out of them since they can typically spare 3 tons and can probably expect to be light hunting at least some of the time, where an assault might not be willing to give up 5 tons when they can spend 3 on a Command Console/Dual Cockpit instead.

Alright, makes sense to me now. Gives me a better idea for the role I'll be playing in the lance.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Zaodai posted:

Capellan citizenship brings you actual benefits, where as being a FedSuns peasant that can read just get you beaten up by the rest of the local hole diggers for being a bit of a poncy fruit.

So I keep seeing in this thread this stereotype the average FedSuns commoner being a hole digging illiterate peasant, which I know is exaggerated for effect. But how true is it actually? Just curious. Are the majority of worlds whole agro-worlds full of dirt grubbers that can't read because the local noble spends not a dime on basic education since they're replaceable and basically born and die out in the fields? And like proper feudalism, there's little to no state support for said basic education?

People have referenced a handful of worlds in the FedSuns in the previous thread as where all the wealth accumulates, so I assume it's just the people in charge on those planets are lording it over the masses, and people there actually need to read in order to do their jobs and make sure their bosses' money is counted and become cannon fodder and all that.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

GhostStalker posted:

So I keep seeing in this thread this stereotype the average FedSuns commoner being a hole digging illiterate peasant, which I know is exaggerated for effect. But how true is it actually? Just curious. Are the majority of worlds whole agro-worlds full of dirt grubbers that can't read because the local noble spends not a dime on basic education since they're replaceable and basically born and die out in the fields? And like proper feudalism, there's little to no state support for said basic education?

People have referenced a handful of worlds in the FedSuns in the previous thread as where all the wealth accumulates, so I assume it's just the people in charge on those planets are lording it over the masses, and people there actually need to read in order to do their jobs and make sure their bosses' money is counted and become cannon fodder and all that.

The FedSuns are basically Space Russia economically. If it's not near the capital or the borders it might as well not exist.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

There's a disparity of wealth and resources in all realms, usually between border worlds and worlds ~60 LY from a border. The Federated Suns takes it to an extreme where there are basically two realms: the Golden Five (New Avalon, Galax, El Dorado, Torrence and Belladonna) and their surrounding worlds, and then everywhere else. New Avalon is probably the most comfortable planet in the Inner Sphere to live on, with universal education and free access to the best medical care this side of Terra. The further you get from New Avalon, the less applicable that becomes. By the time you hit actual border worlds, you don't really have anything left.

They've basically concentrated as many resources as possible in the very center of the realm and then pushed everything into the military. Juche!

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 12, 2018

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

I think the 'best' average standards of living is probably the Lyran Commonwealth and the Magistracy?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

PoptartsNinja posted:

Please remember to keep things civil, no matter your feelings on a faction.

That's it, I'm writing my own let's play battletech! With NRWR and demon hawks and hookers!

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009
Beautiful new thread, somehow even more ambitious than the last.

The move mod cap is a fascinating change to strategy and good design, in that it changes an opponents behavior instead of adding to a probability distribution of destruction.

Don't get me wrong, some things are good to model as Gaussian distributions (or their stand ins, n-linear distributions), but if a tarcomp affects distance and speed and being tiny and being hidden and being surrounded by sensor ghosts the same, it encourages playing the same way, and impoverishes the story.

PTN writes excellent BT stories. I strongly favor all crunch that helps his fluff.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Weissritter posted:

I think the 'best' average standards of living is probably the Lyran Commonwealth and the Magistracy?

The Magistracy, by far. They also have the best human rights record.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Weissritter posted:

According to the ComStar team who wrote the Steiner book, the LC is the realm with the highest standard of living.

wiegieman posted:

Unless you're a man

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 12, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Unless you're a man

Excellent.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Unless you're a man

That bit's been retconned out, thankfully.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

They replaced it with "until the Star League took over they only let half their population vote" so I think my point still stands

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

There's a disparity of wealth and resources in all realms, usually between border worlds and worlds ~60 LY from a border. The Federated Suns takes it to an extreme where there are basically two realms: the Golden Five (New Avalon, Galax, El Dorado, Torrence and Belladonna) and their surrounding worlds, and then everywhere else. New Avalon is probably the most comfortable planet in the Inner Sphere to live on, with universal education and free access to the best medical care this side of Terra. The further you get from New Avalon, the less applicable that becomes. By the time you hit actual border worlds, you don't really have anything left.

They've basically concentrated as many resources as possible in the very center of the realm and then pushed everything into the military. Juche!

I figure that the March capital worlds and major military manufacturing centers and the areas surrounding them are an exception wrt to how lovely the quality of life on the planet is?

Besides that, I guess it makes sense.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

They replaced it with "until the Star League took over they only let half their population vote" so I think my point still stands

Isn't that still more inclusive than pretty much anywhere else in the setting?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

GhostStalker posted:

I figure that the March capital worlds and major military manufacturing centers and the areas surrounding them are an exception wrt to how lovely the quality of life on the planet is?

Besides that, I guess it makes sense.

Eh... depends on the world. New Syrtis is like living on a lovely Tharkad but Kathil's kinda nice. Living on Marduk is awful, though.

Tran posted:

Isn't that still more inclusive than pretty much anywhere else in the setting?

It's more inclusive than 3/5 of the Inner Sphere but it's not LC/FWL/FRR/OWA/TC

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Unless you're a man

I fail to see the problem.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Which actually makes a certain amount of sense strategicly given how many times the Suns have nearly lost the entire Draconis March (including the current day of 3145 in the Catalyst stuff) and (early on) big chunks of the Capellan. Not to mention the times that there were civil wars with various marches going to war against one another. Since the Crucis March (and really only the center of that) being the only parts totally loyal to House Davion proper, it makes a certain amount of brutal sense to concentrate your best stuff in the part that is hardest for your enemies to get to and will stick with you personally in a ciivil war. Also why the very best regiments in the AFFS are all from the Crucis March (Davion Guard, Crucis Lancers, etc).

But yeah, sure sucks to be everyone else.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

jng2058 posted:

Which actually makes a certain amount of sense strategicly given how many times the Suns have nearly lost the entire Draconis March (including the current day of 3145 in the Catalyst stuff) and (early on) big chunks of the Capellan. Not to mention the times that there were civil wars with various marches going to war against one another. Since the Crucis March (and really only the center of that) being the only parts totally loyal to House Davion proper, it makes a certain amount of brutal sense to concentrate your best stuff in the part that is hardest for your enemies to get to and will stick with you personally in a ciivil war. Also why the very best regiments in the AFFS are all from the Crucis March (Davion Guard, Crucis Lancers, etc).

But yeah, sure sucks to be everyone else.

The FS and DC are really the only ones that are out-and-out feudal realms and you can see a lot of similarities in how they're arranged. The DC takes it even farther, though; pretty sure that Luthien is 50% of their production output in the 3060s.

e: Also Luthien is a loving hellscape to live on, so there's that difference too.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

It's more inclusive than 3/5...

I see what you did there.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

wiegieman posted:

The Magistracy has the best human rights record, but their standard of living isn't all that great thanks to being a Periphery realm that got turbofucked by the Star League. They've definitely got a more equal distribution of what little wealth they do have, though, compared to other realms. And the best medical care and technology this side of Terra.

House Steiner has a high overall standard of living, but the gap between rich and poor is big, and they're the most class-conscious of the great houses. They hand out titles a lot more freely by far than the other great houses, on the other hand.

Pussy Cartel fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 12, 2018

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

PTN please Sign me up to be a pilot. Contact through PM's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
White Sands 1

Hiro had been the last one into the cockpit. He still had a reputation for laziness to maintain, after all. He’d strapped into his cooling couch and shivered as he brought the cooling system online. It took a few moments for the life support computer to regulate the cockpit’s temperature, opening and closing coolant lines as necessary. Gone were the days of the cooling vest, they simply couldn’t keep pace with the amount of heat a modern BattleMech could generate. The modern cooling system was more integrated: the command couch and all of its straps and harnesses was the first stop after the coolant ran through the external heat exchangers, which meant the coolant was at its coldest when it was pumping through the computer systems and keeping a Mechwarrior from baking to death. The computer would open and close lines as needed to keep the Mechwarrior from freezing to death, but once battle was joined that typically meant every line would be pumping coolant at maximum capacity just in case.

Hiro slipped the NeuroBand over his head, and pulled a protective helmet over it. The bands and helmets had been designed somewhere on the periphery, but had spread alongside the new armor technology until they were practically ubiquitous. The helmet was designed for pilot safety and comfort, maximizing visibility and displaying as many or as few hud elements as the Mechwarrior desired. Hiro ran with the full targeting suite, but left the damage diagnostics on his secondary monitors. It was a remarkable design, but the thing Hiro most preferred was the oxygen mask. Just a few decades before, Mechwarriors had to deal with breathing superheated air while their cooling vest struggled to keep them cool. The oxygen mask eliminated that problem entirely, piping chilled air to the pilot to keep them breathing comfortably.

He ran through his checklist with a speed and precision none of his instructors would’ve expected, and was the first to take a step—beating out Koralia by only a few seconds. With a few keystrokes on the central keyboard, he transmitted battle maps and travel vectors to his lance.

“Full security protocols are now in effect: callsigns only,” he announced, before admitting. “I was the last up: that makes me rear guard.” Kuritan Mechwarriors, even the more relaxed Joshitai, despised the rear guard position. It was strategically important but it was also seen as an insult—at the same time, one couldn’t simply volunteer for it, because it smacked of cowardice. Hiro’s instructors insisted that a Lance Commander needed to lead from the front, which Hiro had always disagreed with.

“Bonsai, you have point. Iron Geranium, left wing. Standoff, right wing. The factory’s only ten minutes out, we’ll maintain a tight formation to deter flankers. Move out, flank speed!”

A chorus of confirmations filled Hiro’s helmet speakers. He motioned with his ‘Mech’s left hand, lining everyone up as they began their deployment. Ranya added, “Hope those tankers can hold their own.”

[N/A]

Shooting Phase
Vedette V12 #1 (Ally)
- Fires Autocannon/5 (Ultra Mode, AP Ammo) at Summoner Prime (4 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 9): rolled 7, miss!

Vedette V12 #2 (Ally)
- Fires Autocannon/5 (Ultra Mode, HE Ammo) at Wolf Spider A (4 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 9): rolled 8, miss!

Wolf Spider A
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Vedette V12 #2: (4 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 stealth armor = 10): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Vedette V12 #2: (4 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 stealth armor = 10): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Vedette V12 #2: (4 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 stealth armor = 10): rolled 9, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Vedette V12 #2: (4 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 stealth armor = 10): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Vedette V12 #2: (4 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 stealth armor = 10): rolled 8, miss!
- Gains 30 heat, sinks 34!

Summoner Prime
- Fires ER Large Laser at Vedette V12 #1 (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 stealth armor = 8): rolled 7, miss!
- Gains 12 heat, sinks 28!

Hellbringer Prime (Refit)
- Fires ER PPC at Vedette V12 #2 (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 stealth armor = 8): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Vedette V12 #2 (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 stealth armor = 8): rolled 10, hit Front (36/44 armor remaining)!
- Gains 16 heat, sinks 28!

Map Link

Player Status:

Ally Status

OpForce Status:

Special Rules
[N/A]

Primary Objectives
- Drive off or destroy Clan Raiders - (0/3?)

Secondary Objectives
- Identify Clan Raiders - (0/1)

Orders Due: Midnight Saturday!

Attention, Mechwarriors! You will be receiving a PM / E-Mail soon.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 13, 2018