Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Oh poo poo we on.

Lets roll B, have some Space Texan gunboat diplomacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Teledahn posted:

PTN! You magnificent bastard, I read your thread!

Speaking of, have the Rommel or Patton been given an update in this timeline?

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Tough call, but AFAIC, it comes down to either seeing CapCom gear by using it, or fighting against it. But the 'using it' option is also against the same gear.

And I'm curious what Space EU has developed.

A

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'll look into fixing that.

Edit: ran my solution through a color-blindness checker and it seems reasonable.

I've got issues with seeing colour, so can confirm that the heavy outline does blend into the terrain, but that said I can easily differentiate between light and heavy woods so no complaints. Simply having light outline = light woods helps immensely

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

FASCAM all the roads. All of them.

See how his chopper handles a minefield

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

C

Fake edit- beaten, wanted to finish the chain

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Ice Fist posted:

That looks an awful lot like a dormant volcano :tinfoil:

We've already done 'active'

Plus volcanic activity = fertile soil. So why wouldn't you want to build a farm on top of one?

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

B

Nutech Gladiator robots are 100% my thing.

Odds of Duncan Fisher officiating the trial?

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Ice Fist posted:

I can't tell if the guy on the right's shoulder (on the cover) is supposed to be opened, it's been opened because of the fight he's in, or if his muscles are so big they ripped a hole in the shoulder.

Torn sleeve counter: 69

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

dis astranagant posted:

If anything it's a fusion engine Huitzilopochtli with the secondary weapons reduced to fit a third Arrow IV.

Gimme an hour and I'll dig up Duncan Fishers Walker, Wheels or Whirlybird video from the old thread, to truly appreciate that nigh-unpronouncible tank.

EDIT- I got distracted-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezjvZ_GSvSY

Also, oh poo poo, king of the benchwarmers :ohdear:

Paingod556 fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 11, 2019

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Raised by Hamsters posted:

I literally did this during my turn, and you know what happened? I spent all but like 18 points of armor on my Anvil and spent the rest of the mission being the "WHY WONT HE DIE?" guy.

No lessons were learned.

That was me in a Sentinel during the aforementioned training mission. I figured I was the fastest on the field, therefore I should trailblaze. Did a full circuit of the map finding the Mcguffins to steal

My contribution was getting a perfect backshot on an enemy, with AP ammo (so higher crit chance) ... only to discover he had heavy armour that negated that ability. Then I messed up how cover works and traded speed for imaginary cover. I was 'killed', until someone pointed out I wasn't to PTN as he apparently also misread my cover. :toot:

Then the dice 'solved' the issue permanently with a PPC to my exposed CT. :eng99:

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Great Beer posted:

The blocked suplex. :'(

On one hand, it was yet another mark against Training Day.

On the other, we got an apology mission with motherfucking :black101: WRESTLEMANIA'MECHS :black101:

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

anakha posted:

Second playthrough: inadvertently set off the guard alert dominos during the retaking of Luthien because I forgot how line of sight worked, but I think I redeemed myself by making sure that Timber Wolf went down with me.

That engagement was truly maximum dice-rolling :battletech:

Focus on the thin armoured but dangerously armed HunchIIC- it survives long enough to fire all of it's ammo, overheating like hell, despite all of the incoming fire plus getting Hilux'd when the building it was on collapsed.
Shift fire to the heavily armoured Timberwolf with a lot of staying power- first turn headshot

If nothing else, this thread has at least one moment every operation of :asoiaf:

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

ChaseSP posted:

No, because each hex you turn costs a movement point so turning all the way around costs 3 movement sadly. And I'm still waiting on the guy I'm subbing for to say something before I put orders in for them, albeit it's just moving forward at this point

E: Actually I could probably just walk back and forth to do exactly this. Only works with walking though.

Evasion is purely distance travelled from your starting hex. Specifically to avoid this kind of cheese.

For where to move, wehen you're up, I'd suggest looking for where you ultimately want to end up by a certain turn, based on what your sibkin are doing, and plan around moving that way that keeps speed up (for evasion) or using terrain to mask their shots. Even if it moves you away from the fight. Even if it denies you shots.

Mechs are walking tanks. Tanks are land ships. Ship combat is about positioning. Ergo, Mech combat is about positioning more than weight of fire.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

I'm coming late to sub talk, but y'all forgetting the biggest advantage of the U-boat design- maximum dive depth from having a smaller cross-section and thus a stronger hull against pressure. US fleet boats had better endurance, but slower dive speed and reduced depth from their size. Gato's were tested to around 90m (tried finding a reliable source on 'crush' depth, no luck) while a Type-VII could get to 230m, and potentially push to 250m with risk of being crushed.

EDIT- Or I guess you could summarise it as- German subs, twice the depth for half the displacement

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

"SQUAWK"

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Also the German 1940 offensive into Belgium. Lose plans to invasion of Belgium (and the guy who planned it as well) to the Belgians. Allies disregard as fake news, then suddenly Panzers all up in the Ardennes

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

I'm pretty sure there was one mission where Goonlance Aimed High constanly, after being told it was a thing. Good times, many headcaps

Rorahusky posted:

Yes, though I always read that word as Salami and imagine a horde of gun-totting sausages marching to their doom.

https://youtu.be/t6cvIT8NCXg

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

They just enforce a mandate that every child born in their jurisdiction has the first name 'Doctor'.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

B

Can't pass up trapping Space Texans in a Space Alamo.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Well at least the characterisation matches how I Battletech :black101: And our rides look solid to boot.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

No link, but myself and I believe Celestine were in Training Day if you want a rough idea of where the recycle is at.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

LLAS Poptarting Motherfucker reporting in and oh boy :getin:

I may need a primer on the ECM suite and stealth armour to make full use of it, though I assume the Angel of War thing means if I'm next to an enemy I can gently caress with their targeting.

Rough plan- JJ right up the middle and get a shot on the first tower straight up. Going forward, going to try to be full QRF for whichever side of the river needs another laser to kill stuff. Cause it's either that, or start rushing in to close range with whoever is available :black101:

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Pixie orders! Which will be submitted later tonight.

Movement-
Jumping to 1428, facing 1427

Shooting-
Firing LLAS at the 1520 Sentry Post if there is LOS. If there is no LOS due to terrain, hold fire.

One thing I'm not sure on is if my Partial Wings are included in the JJ and heatsink stats. Regardless, I'm satisfied with making the above moves for this turn.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Just a reminder for those who aren't too sure- if you can't get to a good position for the shots you want, just try to position yourself so you can get a better shot next turn.

In that regard, Saint, wedge and meme get to set the tempo of the advance. I'm planning to take potshots are what I can while the big Cappies are a way off, but once they get stuck in, I'll be disengaging until you three are ready to start fighting.

Aaaand orders sent

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Gwaihir posted:

The fast jumpy mechs have good spots available in the form of 1420 (wasp) and 1521 (Phx). The Anubis in 1120 only has a +2 move mod, which is pretty scant defense for such a light mech.

I'm game for this plan, if Optimus is willing to go in as well. I'll be focusing on the Anubis, I ain't shooting at no-one in mirror armour.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Voyager I posted:

I was a Legendary Founder for MWO.

I have given PGI money exactly once.

:same: but I did give them money for the Urbie because memes, and the Sarah Jenner because gently caress Cancer.

They are hemorrhaging cash apparently, can't afford to do any new content and MW5 is delayed another 3 months to next years Xmas. This may have been their only option to remain solvent.

Back to the good stompy robot game- I'll take 1521 and LLAS the Anubis.

Is it worth firing up the SR armour? I'm mildly paranoid about taking a fistfull of rockets to the face, though my heat is still creeping upwards.

Fake EDIT- Or does it no longer do anything to short range attacks? The latest PDF says nothing about short range, but the OP summary says powered = +1 against short range.

wedgekree posted:

Edit: Or maybe try and start working my way up the mountain (H7) to get a good firing position?

That's a Height 7 Heavy building. You aren't King Kong, you ain't scaling that.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Order up, taking 1521. Ani getting las'd and prepping to probably run back next turn to cool

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

I just assumed you were American. I know seppos have some weird issue with the word 'snatch'.

Though while we're on it, have we seen a nuTech Bushie yet, and if not, would one likely function well? Still a MW3 fanboy, I like the 55t 'Mechlet.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

thatbastardken posted:

this is what a glorious sacrifice buys these days, huh? forgotten 2 missions later. smdh.

Got overwritten by the Clan stomping last mission. Also I'm exhausted and posting during work breaks. Also also I'm an idiot.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

The maps take some time to get used to, PTN's gotten it to be super intuitive but only if you know how BT maps work. Pretty sure I've misread map numbers and for a while legit thought the building numbers were just ways for him to track them for damage and/or basement stats. No worries if takes a while to get your head around it. It should all come together by the time you get the enemy under your guns. And you do seem to have the biggest and most guns of us so there's plenty to get them under.

Ok, so if I'm reading the map right, I can jump over to 0723, and potentially gently caress around with the Wasp while shooting at I guess one of the gunships. Then I can spend next turn walking off my heat.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

PoptartsNinja posted:

I had a question on this so I figured I'd discuss it in a public place so there're no surprises. It's a custom SPA.

When an enemy unit attacks an adjacent unit with Angel of War and misses, that unit makes an immediate Friendly Fire attack against one of its own allied units in the weapon's current arc. That means torso twisting only applies if the 'Mech has torso twisted to shoot the Angel of War unit; but it does also mean any arm-mounted weapons can attack in their entire arc. A Friendly Fire attack does not count as attacking a secondary target, and adds the margin of failure of the original attack as a bonus to the Friendly Fire attack. So if they need an 8 to hit you, and roll a 2, they add a -6.

Many thanks for this.

I had to check, but the furthest I can jet is 0722, which I believe the Wasp can attack without twisting so no FF to be had if I want to cheese things.

I am now leaning to jumping to 0821 (unless Optimus wants to take it, you could jump to 0623 if you want to gently caress up the Wasp) and plinking whoever. Right side gunship is my first thought.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Prelim orders, I'll get them in after work

Jumping to 0824, firing at the gunship in 0713. Should put me in defilade and let me run to the trees the Wasp is currently hiding in next turn.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

The good news is our heavies are in the fight this turn.

Goddamn I am tempted to jump to the Anubis and start wrasslin', but there's a decent bit of metal right behind it.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

wedgekree posted:

Plan on moving to 2423 and just anchoring there and starting to engage anything in range.

If so any suggestions for targeting priorities and can I stay parked there? Seems a good position. Hills, woods..

Someone else needs to double check this- if you park in 2423, you may not be able to shoot the Anubis through the woods. You can however make it to 2323, which puts you out of cover but there actually isn't anyone else with LOS other than the Ani. And you'll get better odds to hit him.

Fake EDIT- looking again, that AA track at 2314 is at height 2. So he probably can shoot you over the trees and his odds would be good.

Actual EDIT- 2423 is a good move if you want to get a good position and also solid cover. Especially from those light gauss in front of you

Looking over my options, and gently caress it- probably gonna jump to 1018 and punch than Anubis. Unless someone else can suggest a better move, those gunships don't really give me a good option since I can either walk and shoot, or jump without shooting.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Theres a heavy and a light wood in your LOS, which means an extra 1/2 to your to-hit. But even if the odds are low, no harm taking the shot.

Will take the jump to punch an Ani, and force the Cappies to split fire between the Wasp and Pixie. Orders going in when I've got a break at work.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

I've got to say, the new heat scale is great. Put in my orders this turn, but spent 10 mins checking the overheating rules to see if it was worth cooling this turn, or running up the heat to give a bonus for punching.

I went with the former for now, but soon... :black101:

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

OptimusShr posted:

Yeah there are a ton of enemies on that side now. Fortunately I rendered the Wasp harmless. I think I should jump behind the Anubis and Melee and shoot him in the back to take him out or render him harmless as well.

As for the Raven hitting the Vindicator is tempting but I worry about exposing myself to the mobile AA and the Crusader Prime

Or you could move forward with me and start hammering the big guys. Looking at jumping to 0713, gives me +3 for movement plus being in the enemies front quarter means more chances to do FF shenanigans.

Theres a good chance that move is an overextension, but honestly I think the Cappies lights are already overextended. The alternative is to spring backwards, rejoin the BattleMaster and work on the gunships.

Willing to let you make the call, Optimus. Balls out, or spring back?

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Looking over what's actually there... I'm going for it. Jumping to 0713, shooting and kicking the AA track. If the Whitworth shoots me, that should proc AoW and potentially hose either the Wasp or the Cent. And I've got pristine armour if he does land a few hits.

Is there anything I should be doing with my ECM to either up my chances to evade incoming fire, or just generally gently caress with the enemy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Gwaihir posted:

If you're jumping up there, definitely use 0811 though. It gives you woods cover, a kick at the rear armor, and most importantly, you can't actually kick it from 0713, because it's at height 2.

Oh god dammit.

Ok, lets do some butt kicking.