Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

As much as I want Space Texas, I'm gonna go with A. Love me some insanely good spymaster stuff.

Also, if you ever decide to do a let's read again, could you do The Sword and the Dagger? I picked it up after I finally caught up in the last thread and I never realized there was another alien race in the BT universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

So I have pink hair, an advanced targeting computer and a command battlemech? I can live with that. Command battlemech quirk means I can remove Ace from an opponent correct?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

PoptartsNinja posted:

Having all three damage types and an advanced targeting computer is really beneficial. Nothing can no-sell a Shadow Hawk.

Are the rules for targeting computers on your Patreon? I was curious what the difference is.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

PoptartsNinja posted:

Basic Targeting Computers set the user's gunnery to 3 unless it's better (and lets you shoot and make a melee attack without penalty, auto-pass running on concrete, etc). They weigh 1 ton per weight class (1 ton for light 'Mechs, 4 tons for Assaults) which most weight classes can manage. Clanners tend to eschew them.

Advanced Targeting Computers do everything the basic computers do but also cap the enemy's max move mod at 2 (jumping still adds +1 to this). They weigh one ton more than the basic variety which is actually surprisingly difficult for a lot of weight classes to spring for when medium lasers weigh 2.5 tons and heat sinks are all singles.

Mediums have the easiest time picking up an advanced TarComp and get good benefit out of them since they can typically spare 3 tons and can probably expect to be light hunting at least some of the time, where an assault might not be willing to give up 5 tons when they can spend 3 on a Command Console/Dual Cockpit instead.

Alright, makes sense to me now. Gives me a better idea for the role I'll be playing in the lance.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

I had some thoughts about actions, but I figured I'd check with the others to see what they were doing. Are we doing a spreadsheet like in the last thread, or just hashing it out here?

I'm planning on just moving straight forward and hitting whoever someone else is hitting. I think it's better to drop at least one quick, then look into identifying the two left. The Hellbringer is already a bit dinged up, I'd say gang up on it first just to lower the fire coming at us.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Xarbala posted:

There's only four of us so I don't think we need a googledoc, and we're all 5/8s. I can jump to 0421 and take some potshots at the Hellbringer, sure. That's exactly 18 hexes away.

Alright. I'll aim to get closer to the Hellbringer. Still have a fear of Clantech, even though I know now it's more even. My plan is to head closer to that dead mech in the middle of the map at 0814. Gonna aim for hex 721, if I'm counting MP right I should make it. I'll shoot at the Hellbringer as well unless someone comes up with something better.

I asked PTN but hadn't heard back yet, but I'm thinking we might be able to fulfill the secondary objective by getting close enough to any of them to see what clan they're from, even the guys who look blown up. That's why I'm heading closer to the middle.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

You can switch freely between ammo types for autocannons and missles, correct? Like one turn HE, then the next AP as long as you designate which one you're using or do you have to not fire for a round?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Zikan posted:

Shiro here. My thought is to move to 0820 and lob some normal LRMs at the Wolf Spider. My understanding is that if I move to 819 I'll become easier to shoot since only height 2 terrain will count as cover. Is this correct?

I originally thought of moving near there, but I'm concerned about LOS to either of those two mech's with level 1 and level 2 in the way. It makes sense on a gut level, but my plan is to get up onto level 1 terrain to be sure I can see them.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

I'm going to send in my orders this afternoon, so I figured I'd ask for input. If I'm missing something that'll get me killed let me know, but I'm going to head to 0319 and then take some shots at the Hellbringer. If I'm adding it up right I'll need 10's to hit, but that's not too bad and hopefully the DCMS doesn't get upset at me wasting ammo. We can kite the Wolf Spider if needed, and the Hellbringer has ECM and longer ranged guns so I figured best to drop that one first..

I asked PTN, and he said we have to get close to an active mech to ID them, so at some point we're gonna have to do that if we want to achieve that objective.

And oh god, what hellacious surprise is waiting for us? I don't want to say this seems too easy, but it seems like we should be able to take these guys apart without much effort.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Chronojam posted:

"Yes but read only PTN's posts" is the answer you've stumbled across, right?

That's still a couple hundred pages of posts, cause that's how I did it. I assume he means it fell into the archives.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

OniPanda posted:

Yeah, it does seem a little too easy that there’s only a couple oldtech clan mechs, who are in the process of getting clowned on. Binary of newtech lying in wait? :ninja:

Or these guys are the replacements for solamha infantry from the original timeline, only there to buy time for their betters and maybe die with honor.

And I'm headed for 0319 and shooting at the Hellbringer, my orders are in just in case someone else was moving or hadn't decided yet.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

PoptartsNinja posted:

It is entirely OK to just kill them.

I am still planning on getting closer at some point. We just started so far away it's tough to ID them.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Wafflecopper posted:

I'm just gonna leave it as is this turn. As far as I'm aware we haven't had any discussion/consensus on a primary target yet anyway. Just trying to get that started for next turn :)

I brought up the Hellbringer last turn, but we're still far enough away I doubt much will hit. I still think it's the bigger threat. The gauss and ppc do almost as much damage as the AC on the Wolf Spider, and it's carrying ECM to boot but if everyone else wants to concentrate on something else I'm fine with that.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

PoptartsNinja posted:

I default to single shots with autocannons unless you specify ultra mode.

Edit: Well, that's about right. That Bad Reputation was well-earned.

Oh god, now I'm getting worried.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Well, we have to get within 3 hexes to ID them according to PTN. Should we aim to get close to one of them? If so, which one?

Also, drat fine shooting. That should make the rest of this easier.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Well, in the spirit of staying close I think I'll head for 0413 and unload with everything at the Hellbringer. I'll build up a little heat with a long range shot on the ML, but everything else will be in medium range. I'll even try out the ultra, just to see how it does.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

jng2058 posted:

Conga Line of Death! Conga Line of Death!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic87SfqQAAM

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Depending on movement we might be able to get close enough to get an ID on the 'Mech's next turn. Anyone else up for trying it if we get a chance?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Wafflecopper posted:

I have a bunch of long-range weaponry, armour with no special resists, and my pilot's callsign is "Standoff". If you guys don't mind I'm gonna leave the "get close" objective to the player with the big gently caress-off sword. Unless getting close to one of the dead ones counts. In which case, no big hurry.

Gotta be a live one, unfortunately. I was hoping to stand off a bit as well but if all one of us has to do is get close, I'd rather get that objective done early and then we can just gun down whoever is left before the inevitable trap is sprung on us.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Wafflecopper posted:

Orders are in.

Mine are the same, except I added the medium laser and I'm in 0413.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

poo poo, I was really hoping to ID the guy before he started running away. I'm thinking we should move forward into the middle of that horseshoe shaped dune and pop the last of the original OPFor, then wait for the next guys to come out. Anybody else have thoughts on that plan?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Xarbala posted:

I might jump to 0912 and do the same. Plus side, I can jump to just behind a ridge for partial cover at 1309 or 1410 when the real fight starts.

We can also see how long our entire lance can keep in hexes adjacent to each other before that becomes impractical. If we can get a Clanner in PTN's fluff to wonder what the heck we're doing, I'll consider that a win no matter what happens.

Well someone did get the mid air high five added, so I'll aim for it. I can't jump, but I can make it to 0911 and shoot the Summoner. If needed I could run forward and hide behind the dune next turn as well.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Orders in, heading to 0911 and firing at the Summoner. Hopefully we can pop it before the reinforcements get here.

Edit: Since apparently the reinforcements have ECM, ECM stops hunter killer missiles from finding another target right? What was the range on that again, in case they spread out?

seaborgium fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 22, 2018

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

PoptartsNinja posted:

I can't wait to see peoples' reactions to actual Clan NewMechs.

Everybody run!! Run!! Their gauss rifles will blot out the sun! Their lasers will replace us!

This should be an interesting battle, we're gonna have to keep the Fat One's protege alive I'm sure.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Just checking as I missed no matter what, but the advanced targeting computer on the Ryujo caps movement mods at +2, correct?

Also, anybody got any thoughts? Concentrate our fire or try for one on ones? Those Gauss rifles are gonna be an issue I think.

I know I'll have to double check armor resistances and ammo types before I shoot.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

PoptartsNinja posted:

Why use the missiles that will retarget on a miss and attempt to attack adjacent targets against something that has nothing next to it?

Plus both the Hel and the lights have ECM, HK's won't do anything either way. Unless I'm reading too much into the fluff and their ECM isn't currently on.

Wafflecopper posted:

Daikyu: My high alpha and the accuracy bonus on my AC/5s make me a good candidate for this. How does the rest of the lance feel about it? I can try to put down the Piranha (hitting on 9s and 10s I think, assuming medium range), or join in on focusing down the Hel (8s and 9s).

Also, does laser-reflective armour work against my PPCs?

I think that's a good idea, that Piranha is going to be an issue with it's speed If someone can take it out before it gets in close we'll be fine. I think you hitting the Piranha, with the rest hitting the Hel is the way to go.

And I'm thinking about just going straight to 1006 and turning around, then opening up with everything on the Hellbringer. I think getting rid of the Gauss rifles followed by the Piranha is the way to go.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

I see with the ECM now, the weapons sheet said it attacks adjacent enemy units unless they're in an ECM bubble. If they'll still work they'd be perfect for shooting the lights then.

Maybe me and Xarbala should try and pop the piranha then, with the other two concentrating on the Hellbringer.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

If I walk I can get to 1209, then open fire on the piranha. If we're trying to stay in this sort of line formation, I'd say move forward this round, then next turn start backing towards where the little pass is, the one containing 1316. That should draw the lights forward and we can get an ID on them. It'll also let us maybe keep the heavies at long range for a bit. It'll also give us the option of moving someone out of the line of fire behind a ridge if they get too beat up, or just have all of us get out of line of sight of the heavies and gun down the lights.

I don't know if that's a good movement plan with those lights around, as they're just too fast and can run circles around us. Might have to give up the maneuver battle and just overwhelm them, but that's what heading back towards the ridges is good for.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Wafflecopper posted:

Okay then, I'm thinking I'll run to 1410 and open up on the Hel. I want to use HE ammo against kinetic-resistant armour right? Another option is to walk to 1211 for a better to-hit, but that'd be reducing my move mod by 1 and also giving up 1 from partial cover, which doesn't seem like a great trade. It would also leave me slightly further away from the lights, which is good, but also leave a hole in our victory line, which is bad.

Yeah, HE against Kinetic resist. Mainly just not AP. I wouldn't give up the partial cover and the move mod when shooting at the Hellbringer.

I am also taking the victory line surprisingly seriously, though without jump jets I'm kind of messing it up a bit.

And I didn't catch the oldtech structure on the lights, so that's a bonus.

I'll send my orders in this afternoon in case someone comes up with some foolproof plan in the meantime. I'll be heading to 1209 and firing everything I have at that Piranha, hopefully it dies fast.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

rarx posted:

You guys are line dancing tactically while in combat?

PTN must be so proud. :)

Well what's the point of being the best if you can't show off a little? There's no way we can shame the rest of the DCMS into taking NewTech 'Mech's without shaming them a little.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Orders in for the Ryujo, headed for 1209, firing everything at the Piranha. I'll be a sitting duck this turn, might have to run away fast.

I also just realized, ammo type is decided that the beginning of a turn isn't it? I have my contingency shooting as using different ammo so hopefully it doesn't get used.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Defiance Industries posted:

You choose what you fire when you fire it unless you have an external magazine

In that case I'll hope it gets used, as the Piranha would be dead then.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Gwaihir posted:

You could run up to the North though! 1105 gives you partial cover, and you can shoot one Wulfen with your machine guns, and then either the Piranha or Hel with LRMs. I'm pretty sure the Thor will also be out of LoS of you.
Then on the following turn you can probably slice and dice something.

Meanwhile the other three can all either back up or jump to the left/rear of the southern Wulfen and gangbang it down.

You can still use your long range weapons on the Hel with it's almost nothing movement mod while punching or kicking the Wulfen.

That's a pretty good plan.

Having the three in a line back up some, the Shadow Hawk get up in the Wulfen's grill and punch the poo poo out of him followed by some SRM-2 goodness would be fun. We could even split our fire a bit, hitting at the Piranha again with the LRM's or AC's to keep him running or keep ganging up on the Hellbringer.

Also, two of the players are within 3 hexes of the Wulfen in 1313, do we need to say we're trying to ID him or is it just a check?

paragon1 posted:

Shiro has a sword?

I think the move mod's are the issue rather than having the sword. It's a light mech though, hitting it in the back at all will gently caress it up good.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

I asked PTN, we have to end our turn within 3 hexes of an active mech. Might work out to have the Shadow Hawk punch the Wulfen near us to the south, and have the rest of us move that same direction.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Xarbala posted:

Well what do you know! Also the SRMs are labelled "Melee," is that what I think it means? As in, can I choose to fire them in the melee phase after the melee hit happens, a la HBS BT?

I was thinking that, too.
I can jump to 1413, punching + SRMing the Wulfen C while taking a potshot at the Wulfen Prime with my AC/5 (AP) in Ultra mode. The Daikyu can back up to 1414, the Ryujo can back up to 1213, and the Shiro can run to 1314 if we want to try to put the line back together. On the one hand, only the Shad and the Dragon are ideal for getting up in the Wulfen C's face. On the other hand, we get to reform the line and also get to gang up on a tiny mech with a stomp circle while still being able to shoot at the Clanners to the north in our medium range brackets rather than long. Zikan can take shots at the Hel with the LRMs or hold off to conserve ammo, while throwing in a sword attack at the Wulfen C. The sword is now one of only two melee weapons with a -2 to-hit bonus which makes it pretty darn good now.

It was actually the move I suggested above, if only because it's the best way to put the line back together and get a stompcircle started on the Wulfen C.

The Shiro could instead walk to 1412 (facing 1513 to avoid showing its back to the Wulfen) for better to-hits on the Hel but this leaves seaborgium one hex out of the victory line. Granted, we did start deployed with three in a line and one spaced out. The Shiro doesn't have a lot of ammo so you probably want to make every shot count, however, and if you want to hold off on shooting till they get in short range with one of the heavies, or maybe break off from the line to try to close in, I'd understand. Closing in would be pretty risky and I don't really recommend it, but the Shiro can afford to eat a gauss slug better than the rest of us.

Took another look at the Newtech weapons file and I just now noticed that up to 9 heat, all mechs gain some degree of bonuses to movement and melee, with only a slight penalty to-hit. So everybody has some degree of baked-in TSM features now. Also kicks lose their to-hit bonus but that's okay, because kicks were OP with them.

I like this plan, and would be excited to be a part of it. If we do the second option where Shiro gets better to-hits on the Hell but I'm out of line I think we'd be better off. I never could dance for poo poo anyways, and I don't have jump jets to fix the line.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Alright, I'm gonna go with Xarbala's plan and head for 1213. I'll pop my AC and LRM's at the Hellbringer, and the medium laser at the Wulfen just to be sure. I'll kick it in case no one else shoots at it, cause lets face it pulling off a Rockette's Maneuver while playing as a majority female regiment would be hilarious. Now if only I could draw.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Defiance Industries posted:

I'm very intrigued what PTN has up his sleeve if identifying the force is an objective. Either it's going to be a surprise to the pilots or a surprise to us, the players, but its existence suggests to me that we aren't fighting the obvious suspects like Wolf or Jade Falcon.

I assume it's one of the Homeworld clans that cut off contact. Or it's the Society, didn't the RWR fight them at some point?

And I'll send in my orders tomorrow, gonna do what I said in a previous post and head for 1213 and split fire between the Hel and the Wulfen, followed by a kick at the Wulfen.

seaborgium fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 29, 2018

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Orders sent.

quote:

Movement orders: I will turn to face 1208, then back up to hex 1213.
Movement Contingency: Turn to face 1208, back up as far as I can.
Shooting: I will fire my AC/5 on ultra with HE and my LRM 2 with Hunter Killers at the Hel. I will fire at the Wulfen in hex 1313 with my medium laser (This will be my secondary target, if I'm remembering right only this one gets the +1).
Shooting Contingency: If I can't see the Hel or it is dead before my turn I will fire my AC/5 on ultra with AP ammo and my LRM 2 with Hunter Killers at the Grand Summoner. The medium laser will be fired at the Wulfen in hex 1313.
Melee: I will kick the Wulfen in hex 1313.
Melee Contingency: None. If the Wulfen is dead there's no other targets.

Kind of wanted to throw in a contingency of kicking even if the Wulfen is dead for a Rockette Line dance type thing, but I figured I'd best not.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Wafflecopper posted:

Yeah I get that focus fire is good and I can do contingencies. But there's a high chance I'll just miss and waste the shots (<28% chance to hit per shot), whereas firing at the Hel I'm much more likely to actually do something. (>58% per shot.)

I split mine as I have the advanced tar comp, and the Wulfen is inside my minimum range for AC's and LRM's. Firing at the Hel is probably for the best in your case, knocking those Gauss rifles down is a priority. If you'll end of up next to it, just make sure you are going to kick it if it's not already dead. That's what I'm doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: Oh, and this is even further thrown off because of the Clan weight classes, light 'Mechs are statistically the least likely to have Heat Radiating armor
Clan use of Heat Radiating Armor by weightclass:
Light: 2/19 (10.5% HR)
Medium: 13/15 (86.7% HR)
Heavy: 15/24 (62.5% HR)
Assault: 4/11 (36.4% HR)

So if you're fighting medium 'Mechs you're practically guaranteed to be fighting a gunboat mounting HR armor. The 2 'Mechs that don't are melee variants with Kinetic Resistant armor. If you see a Clan medium with any other armor type the pilot's being an idiot snowflake who either can't fire half his weapons or doesn't understand why PunchMechs need to take KR armor.

Triple(?) edit: did I mention I've put a lot of thought into this?

That part is beautifully thought out though. Most of the lights probably can't carry enough guns to need HR armor, and it's not such a big deal to put extra heat sinks on a heavy or assault. Still wondering who these guys are though, it's gonna bug me until we find out.