Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
C because we haven't done anything with the Free Worlds League in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Are Laser Heat Sinks still a thing because if so CYBER PEACOCK would be a great name for a 'Mech outfitted with them

I'd name a mech the "Peacock Angel" just to see how many people get the reference.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

JacksAngryBiome posted:

How does a tripod mech walk?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tre0jQXJ6UY

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Yup, Sykora is a SJ bloodname.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
A

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Wait, that Paladin just friendly fired the Hanse with a Long Tom?

Now that's comedy!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I can only picture Kishi #1 trying to pounce a leg like my cat attacking my ankle and getting loving punted off the map.

Looks like Team Rocket's blasting off agaaaaiiiiinnnn...

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 4, 2019

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
They can also be based on real names as well - I served with an officer whose callsign was "Nasty" because his name was "Manazir" and it was similar enough. Usually there's a naming ceremony at some point, which can be influenced by popularity or bribes or both. You DON'T get to pick your own - it's assigned to you by senior squadron mates who are borderline hazing you at the time.

Nobody ever gets a badass callsign except through extreme sarcasm. "Maverick" would not have been a compliment.

I've heard of one story where a fresh pilot was nicknamed "Boomer" because he broke the sound barrier accidentally flying low over a small rural town, which caused some trouble when the complaints started rolling in.

That sort of thing.

Experienced pilots can get renamed if they outgrow their earlier callsign AND do something impressive (or impressively stupid) enough to earn a new one.

So for a 'mech jock, "Hotshot" might be earned if a bit of collateral damage from a miss had, for instance, set the defended objective on fire.

EDIT: This website has a good batch of stories of how people got their callsigns. Most of them are honestly pretty mundane.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 12, 2019

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Well, there's John McCain.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Remind me please what Investigator clans are about?

VVVV Thank you. VVVV

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 4, 2019

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
B is going to win and I'm happy about that, but I'm going to vote C so it doesn't get lost and we see some good outcomes there too.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

paragon1 posted:

Booooooooooom!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

wedgekree posted:

Guess it's time to light it up! And put up the spotter!

It's time to blow up heavies!
It's time to murder lights!
It's time to work together
On the Clanner Show tonight!

It's time to set up spotters!
It's time to dial in sights!
It's time to fire artillery
On the Clanner Show tonight!

Why bother with Zellbringen?
It's held us back you know!
It's time for an rear end-whooping
So focus fire and go!

But now let's get things started!
(Why don't you get it started?)
It's time to get things started
On the exploitational
Beaconational
Tacticational
Murderational
This is what we call the gently caress You Shooooooooooow!

*BOOOOOOM*

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Godzilla: King of the Monsters is good, y'all. It's real good.

Would it be helpful to watch the 2014 film or can I just leap right in?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

TheParadigm posted:

I think what you want to do is split it into two categories: Most Brutal Owns/plays and Most Funniest.

Which mech kicked butt and which much you were on the edge of your seat to see what shenanigans they pull next are not always the same

Most Painful Elimination of the Day!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

evilmiera posted:

Send orders to the opfor first so you know there's a backup copy outside of your regular service, in case it goes down.

I'm pretty sure this happened at the Battle of Antietam, with the cigars and all.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Chronojam posted:

That dude got to survive long enough to see his forces wrecked. And now he's sitting there, powerless in the face of the coming future way. And it's going to roll him.

What would it take to take the Star Colonel as a bondsman? Smoke Jags are usually real lovely to bondsmen, but that could be another thing this new way of doing things changes. Use his time in bond to show him how effective the new tactics are.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
"gently caress you, I got yours."

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Well, I can't afford to back the Clan Invasion box set at a super crazy level (only a mildly crazy one) so you'll all have to settle for Bethany Cochraine's name eventually turning up as an excerpt in a TRO somewhere.

I want to crowd fund your crowdfunding, boost you up to a reward level where you can really pester them.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Defiance Industries posted:

All of those are already sold, and since I'm pretty sure one is Worktroll, not being in the room is the smart move.

I'll take your word for it, but: who is Worktroll, for the uninitiated?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Hot drat.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Tape a picture of your mechanic to the underside of the hood to fool the engine into thinking it's always being watched.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Also the Dingo III/King Mickey 2 roll results didn't get included.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
COME GET SOME! RAAAARGH!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Olothreutes posted:

In the previous thread PTN designed a nasty Hellbringer that was just a pile of SSRM-6s and maybe a laser or two on, I think, a 5/8/5 platform with a bunch of armor. It was scary good. Every mech in the Luthien mission was finely tuned to kick enormous amounts of rear end.

As long as you were sanguine about it.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Technowolf posted:

A lot of people don't realize how Lovecraftian the Bible can be.

There's a big reason why the first words out of most angels' mouth(s) are "Do not be afraid".

"I said do not - Hey! Get back here!"

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I'm too lazy to put in the work to solve the cypher, so I'll vote D on the assumption that someone will be allowed to post their explanation of the solution at some point.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Narsham posted:

If you're still having trouble with the cipher, don't make my mistake and include the title of the scenario along with the text. The two have to be decoded separately.

I believe this was the problem. Thanks, folks.

Not changing my vote.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Non-player votes as tiebreaker, maybe?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
A for setting the cat amongst the Crusader pigeons. That has so much potential for sowing chaos that I can't resist.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Bloody Pom posted:

A, let's go steal some e-honour!
/

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Well, that's some beef on the table. I can't wait to see what the players are up against.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Olothreutes posted:

Hopefully your vehicle friends can begin to light poo poo up now that pretending to care about Zell is over.

The saKhan wants to know what combined fire looks like. I say show him.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Woe unto you that desire the day of the Lord! To what end is it for you? The day of the Lord is darkness, and not light.

- Amos 5:18

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Volmarias posted:

I have absolutely no clue what's happening each turn in lancer, but that's ok because I'm just going to read the fluff and go "yay" when I see number make hits or misses

This is really all I do in the Battletech missions as well, so it's not that much of a change.