Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Arrhythmia posted:

Paris SASO: I started by knocking out the waiter hanging around the shack near the start of the level for his poison. When the coast was clear, I sauntered past the bar into the kitchen and poisoned the sushi. When Viktor stops by, his bodyguard samples one of the sushi pieces. While waiting for Viktor to get that far in his cycle, I ambushed the magazine reporter for her IAGO invitation so I can get to the upper levels. Following the bodyguard into the bathroom was tricky, since there's a model and a security guard flirting just outside it, but I was able to distract them with a coin long enough to slip by. The real reason I knocked out the body guard was, of course, for his cellphone.

Using the IAGO invitation I made my way to the top floor would be easy enough, but I had to ditch my pistol to get past the frisk. That wasn't a problem though, because I had smuggled in another silenced pistol into the attic storage. After retrieving it, I cat-burgled my way across the roof to hang just outside the safe room. I used the body guard's cellphone to call in an emergency and have both Viktor and Dalia be evacuated to the safe room. From just outside I shot down the chandelier, hung off the ledge until the body guards were convinced that it was just a building in disrepair, and then slowly made my way out the front door.

Nice! Although actually, where's the panic room in Paris? It's been a while since I last played it, but I only seem to recall them running for the helicopter in emergencies, rather than to a panic room. Is that upstairs, or something?

Arrhythmia posted:

Felt insanely good to pull off. Big ups to American McGay for pointing out that accident kills don't count against SASO.

Hang on...do you mean bodies found after an accidental kill, or non-target accidental kills not counting against SASO? Since if it's the latter...holy hell, I've played Hitman for hundreds of hours and didn't know that crucial fact :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Non-target accidents for sure count against it, but if you lethally poison a target's food and their bodyguard sees them keel over it doesn't count against you.

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
I just did the sloppiest inept run in China. Tense escape!

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Major Isoor posted:

Nice! Although actually, where's the panic room in Paris? It's been a while since I last played it, but I only seem to recall them running for the helicopter in emergencies, rather than to a panic room. Is that upstairs, or something?

Yeah, it's the museum director's office on the first floor. Can't say I saw them ever run towards the helicopter though, maybe they changed it in 3?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

American McGay posted:

Non-target accidents for sure count against it, but if you lethally poison a target's food and their bodyguard sees them keel over it doesn't count against you.

Oh, phew! I was afraid I had been missing out on some crazy SA hijinks

Arrhythmia posted:

Yeah, it's the museum director's office on the first floor. Can't say I saw them ever run towards the helicopter though, maybe they changed it in 3?

Hmm, interesting! Yeah, perhaps they tweaked the conditions determining where they go. Since to me it always seemed like if someone so much as drops a spoon on the floor, the targets go for the helicopter. That's cool though - I'll keep an eye out, when I get in on H3.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Are the two DLC levels in H2 fully fledged levels with mastery? I was reading they were good but assumed they were tiny.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Seltzer posted:

Are the two DLC levels in H2 fully fledged levels with mastery? I was reading they were good but assumed they were tiny.

They're as massive and fleshed out as any other level in the trilogy

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
the bank is on the smaller end but like... paris small, also its great

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

They're as massive and fleshed out as any other level in the trilogy

Cool. I'm gonna get them and play them in the H2 engine which I prefer but that's good too know.

Chongqing and Berlin are neck and neck for my H3 level favorites ATM. I think Berlin is probably the best first playthrough mission in the game but china gets better as I keep doing the bigger challenges.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

elf help book posted:

Paris is small :eyepop:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Berlin definitely stuck with me just because of the particular shift of the story it accompanies. It was for sure my favorite level on first run through, but I'm excited to replay everything from 3 and start chipping away at the challenges, and maybe my opinion will change.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

elf help book posted:

yeah NY doesnt feel small like, we had to shrink it down small, it feels small intentionally, like focused

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Seltzer posted:

Cool. I'm gonna get them and play them in the H2 engine which I prefer but that's good too know.

Chongqing and Berlin are neck and neck for my H3 level favorites ATM. I think Berlin is probably the best first playthrough mission in the game but china gets better as I keep doing the bigger challenges.

Definitely agree that Berlin is the best on a first run because it's such a cool twist on the usual formula and it's executed really well. Mendoza might be my favorite in 3 after having gotten max mastery on everything in the game. It has so many fun ways to deal with the targets or move them around.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Arrhythmia posted:

Paris is small :eyepop:

lol

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

elf help book posted:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
What's the smallest Hitman map? And Hawke's Bay doesn't count, that was the tutorial for 2.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

elf help book posted:

yours was a lot sneakier than mine

1. started at the tower entrance, walked over to the western side, and shot out the crane
2. went through the party, to the outside area, and climbed up to the roof, killing the patrolling guy
3. dropped the bricks from this same roof area to get the guy who patrols the party halls and walks into the outdoor party area
4. from that same roof area again, shot out the disco ball over the guy in the juice bar area
5. hopped back down to the juice bar area, knocked out the food delivery man, poisoned the food, rang the doorbell, and walked to the exit

Berlin is so cool in mix-and-matching your targets for SASO, my route was different again:

1. Start at the radio tower, head down through the queue and hop over the wall to the crane area. Shoot Agent Thames when he's away from the other workers and hide him in the bushes.
2. Get into the biker hideout via the shortcut, kill the guy on the ground floor (I think that's Lowenthal?). This one caused me some trouble as he kept getting found even when I hid him in the stairwell, but I eventually figured out it was because I was leaving his gun behind so someone was finding it and taking it upstairs.
3. Climb up the stairwell to the top floor, kill the sniper.
4. From the sniper window, shoot a gas canister to blow up Agent Swan down by the canal. You could probably also drop the disco ball on him but I find lining up those kills from that distance really tricky.
5. On the way back, lure the agent in the greenhouse out by turning on the sprinkler and kill him there.
Escape via manhole

I've also been going back to do SASO on the season 1 levels, which I hadn't done before. I've got Paris and Colorado done but Colorado especially involved a lot of saving and loading so I feel like I cheesed it slightly.

Also I wanted to say that I played through the first three missions of Patient Zero yesterday and whilst it's pretty cool in that it's just more Hitman, my favourite level was Colorado which was basically just a sniper assassin map, with a gimmick that you only know one target going into the level and have to figure out the other four by watching and finding clues

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

American McGay posted:

What's the smallest Hitman map? And Hawke's Bay doesn't count, that was the tutorial for 2.
Whittleton Creek maybe? It only had 15 mastery levels until a couple of weeks ago

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I would guess that the last mission in 3 is the smallest.

Now that the previous two games are apparently optimized and take up less space, I'm gonna jump through the hoops to get them working from the Hitman 3 launcher. It's been long enough since I played them that they'll probably be fun to revisit.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I would guess that the last mission in 3 is the smallest.

Now that the previous two games are apparently optimized and take up less space, I'm gonna jump through the hoops to get them working from the Hitman 3 launcher. It's been long enough since I played them that they'll probably be fun to revisit.

not only do they take up less space but i think youve already got them installed, and the "imports" are just tiny license unlocks like fighting game dlc

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

*starting Sapienza* Ah,

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Hush sounds like Kermit. Also, just read that the remote emp charge can electrocute a puddle of water and it also will distract someone to it. Never knew that and thought it was a trash item.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Seltzer posted:

Hush sounds like Kermit. Also, just read that the remote emp charge can electrocute a puddle of water and it also will distract someone to it. Never knew that and thought it was a trash item.

Electrocution is an accident kill so you don't need to hide the bodies, or at least it used to be? Lol in Hitman 1 death from an exploding fire extinguisher used to count as an accident so the good SASO strategy was just to lob one near a target and shoot it

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

conga line of curious guards and targets wandering under the car crusher in colorado ftw

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Got SASO on Dubai with busted parachute double kill lmao it’s great. I love that the second dude waits a bit, sees the first guy fall to his death, then still jump. Was by the helicopter to make a quick escape, wish I could figure out how to be where they jump in order to see I

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Dartmoor SASO done, really easy but didn't do it too elegantly... mostly just ran up the stairs chucking coins, knocked out everyone on the top floor then dropped a chandelier on her before leaving via the drainpipes lol. I'm a bit intimidated by Dubai, quite a tight level with a lot of guards...

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Dartmoor SASO done, really easy but didn't do it too elegantly... mostly just ran up the stairs chucking coins, knocked out everyone on the top floor then dropped a chandelier on her before leaving via the drainpipes lol. I'm a bit intimidated by Dubai, quite a tight level with a lot of guards...

the deluxe escalation on dubai does a good job of laying out the basics, its a great map, the big open airy design really hides a lot of secret ways to get around

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

https://youtu.be/R-jTLKVy0c8

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
I’ve probably gone about it the wrong way but I burned through all the levels to clear the story. Berlin is the one I enjoyed the most.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Brass Hand posted:

I’ve probably gone about it the wrong way but I burned through all the levels to clear the story. Berlin is the one I enjoyed the most.
I'm usually super meticulous about how I go through the level progression before moving onto the next, but I did the same thing with 3s campaign. I just wanted to see all the set pieces and get the story out of the way, I'll go back and really dig into the levels now.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

ive been "unlocking" one level per week, im on china now

ill do the final 2 levels both next week cuz i know the final level is different

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

the featured contracts they added today arent bad, a good gimmick to figure out on each without being very hard

the final one, once i figured out how fast you can actually kill ingram with just a push, got a big laugh out of me

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

elf help book posted:

ive been "unlocking" one level per week, im on china now

ill do the final 2 levels both next week cuz i know the final level is different

Yeah same, starting China 2nite. The weird cyberpunk villains aren't doing much for me but level is gorgeous

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

That map kind of feels unfinished but its really cool

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
Going back I have realised that I never played H2 in great detail aside from Miami which is a godly map. Having a lot of fun

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

did two of the mission stories in Chongqing by complete coincidence in my first couple of runs and neither of them triggered because I had mission stories off, I looked them up and I basically did them perfectly. ftw

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9iwI0347zA

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Based El Unboxo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010