Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Not really feeling mendoza. It's probably the second best looking level but it feels a bit too set piecey. Once I get 20 on Mendoza I'll DL the 2 extra H2 levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Found a cool scale in 47's suite that say he weighs 47kg (104 lbs).

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Crossposting from games for more hitmans

I've started replaying through the whole trilogy in campaign mode, just finished H1. The between mission movies make a lot more sense having played 3. I have to say, with the H3 graphics, this is one of the best looking games I've ever seen. The environments are so detailed and gorgeous. Gonna do a brief rating of H1 levels while it's fresh in my mind.

Paris: A for the mission and the map. Kind of the essence of what a good hitman level should be. Lots of good opportunities, beautiful map with many ways to move around and good verticality.

Sapienza: A+ for the map, B for the mission. The mission gets let down by having to do the virus every time, and having the targets mainly constrained to the mansion, with a lot of the opportunities not being that interesting. I think Landslide is actually the best Sapienza mission. The map as a whole is amazing, so detailed and huge yet it all feels cohesive.

Morocco: D for the mission, C for the map. This is probably my least favourite hitman mission. Boring opportunities. The consulate is cool once you get inside, but it's so walled off that it's not fun getting in. The school just sucks. They should have scrapped it altogether and had Zeydan set up near the shoe shop, with more ways to get into the tunnel and the consulate. The map as a whole is much better in A House Built on Sand, but still not great overall. Not much verticality and I just don't dig the atmosphere.

Bangkok: C for the mission, B for the map. I thought I would be rating this lower, but I actually enjoy this map. Some fun opportunities for cross at least, but annoying to get around and too walled off. Also I think Cross is one of the more interesting targets. A rich kid douchebag, but has a lot more pathos than most targets. The map is gorgeous, and better in the Patient Zero mission, neither mission properly uses the space though. Would be much improved if you could circle around the entire hotel and have more ways to get in.

Colorado: B- for the mission and the map. Thought I would hate this one more as well, but I like it more than Morocco. Too many targets and not enough interesting kills, but it is kind of fun getting around. Very little verticality, but it's nice to have an outdoor map and I like the atmosphere. Better now they've changed the exit condition to be optional. A real slog to SASO however.

Hokkaido: A for the mission, A+ for the map. A few too many kill opportunities for Soders that aren't that different, and him being stationary means the approaches are limited. Otherwise, an amazing map. Beautiful and very well designed, so many ways to get around, with incredible atmosphere. A lot of little side stories going on as well. The pinnacle of the H1 maps.

Starting H2 now, I'll do a list when I've finished those.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I just wish Bangkok had a way to traverse between the top levels of the wings. Also I just sort of started thinking about it, there's no map with working elevators, right? Lot of cool stuff you could do with that but I can also see how it would mess pathfinding and AI up pretty badly

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

goferchan posted:

I just wish Bangkok had a way to traverse between the top levels of the wings. Also I just sort of started thinking about it, there's no map with working elevators, right? Lot of cool stuff you could do with that but I can also see how it would mess pathfinding and AI up pretty badly

Yeah, there's no real elevators.

The biggest single weird thing like that I didn't realize until they explained why they made a prison sniper map instead of a real prison map: The AI cannot respect door locks, all doors are essentially unlocked for everyone except 47. That's why when you cause a panic, there's no rules to where they go. The AI will even traverse through the secret rooms in Dartmoor.

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
Hokkaido never did it for me. Not sure why

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Brass Hand posted:

Hokkaido never did it for me. Not sure why

The disguise based doors are a really cool idea but I found it a bit limiting, I feel like 90% of each playthrough is going through the same motions to get the stuff you need to unlock your way around. I do like it but it has just slightly too many chores imo

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Hokkaido is loving great but you need to start getting mastery levels to really enjoy it also the actual hospital part can be pretty annoying to traverse.
Keep in mind you can do poo poo like leave melee weapons on the ground to keep doors open

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I was replaying Hokkaido in 3 and it blew my mind that you could get from the garden to the helipad just by hopping over the fence at the back. I swear I know these levels inside and out and then I'll either find something new or see it in a video and my whole understanding is turned upside down. I had a similar thing in Paris with the ladder from the first floor to the attic which blew my mind.

Also in the list of new things I've just learned: you can drop chandeliers by shooting the winch (as opposed to the hanging chain) and you can drop loudspeakers by shooting them so you don't need a crowbar.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

there are so many obvious shortcuts like that on all the levels that you will never notice until the 100th hour

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Yeah that's why I feel Bangkok and Marrakesh are lacking, they just need a few more of those kind of shortcuts and they'd be great. The H2 levels are full of them despite being huge.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Aston posted:

Also in the list of new things I've just learned: you can drop chandeliers by shooting the winch (as opposed to the hanging chain) and you can drop loudspeakers by shooting them so you don't need a crowbar.

Oh wow, I'd never even thought to try this! Very interesting - I'll have to remember to try that, next time.
Personally, I'm probably alone on this, but one thing that took me forever to figure out is that you can shoot the recording unit for cameras to disable them without getting close, even with guards nearby. Can be helpful to avoid needing to sneak through certain security rooms.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
all good info thank you, i generally use my gun as little as possible but i should probably start using it more

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I see speed runners do a thing where they shoot a door like 3 times to unlock it but I've never been able to figure that out. I pretty much always bring a lock pick with me though so it's not really an issue.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

American McGay posted:

I see speed runners do a thing where they shoot a door like 3 times to unlock it but I've never been able to figure that out. I pretty much always bring a lock pick with me though so it's not really an issue.

normal pistols cant but most other guns can, its a power thing

theres a fullauto pistol that can tho

the opposite direction is the krugermeier pistol, which is so weak you can stand next to someone and shoot it and they wont hear it, but is so weak it takes two headshots to kill. its a must have

guns are tools not weapons, shoot locks, shoot water coolers, shoot electrical strips, shoot fire alarms, shoot cameras, shoot walls to distract people, leave guns on the ground to get guards to pick them up and walk away

the door breach bomb can be planted next to a winch to trigger a chandelier fall by remote

the briefcase rules. youre allowed to carry it everywhere, its a throwable melee, when left on the ground guards treat it like a weapon and take it away

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

using the briefcase totally changes the way you approach levels too because you cant climb only mantle without losing it

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

it feels awesome to do slick poo poo like throw a briefcase with a gun in it over a wall and grab it after getting through a frisk

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

ultimate final tech:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HiTMAN/comments/ljtglr/beating_landslide_in_119_using_the_fart_technique/

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

No wonder NPCs occasionally comment on 47's bad breath! :D Not a bad technique, weaponizing your body like that...

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

No wonder NPCs occasionally comment on 47's bad breath! :D Not a bad technique, weaponizing your body like that...

They always say his breath is bad but they also always compliment his smell

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i knocked out the wine tour guide and was running the tour, and then someone woke him up and he got re-dressed and joined the tour with us. he didnt care that i was also him, we just both ran the tour together and said different things lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elf help book posted:

i knocked out the wine tour guide and was running the tour, and then someone woke him up and he got re-dressed and joined the tour with us. he didnt care that i was also him, we just both ran the tour together and said different things lol

lmfao

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

elf help book posted:

Lol thats great. i didnt even know NPCs could redress

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

elf help book posted:

lmfao

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Finished my H2 replay, here are my ratings. I'm not including the tutorial levels, hawkes Bay or Romania in these because I don't consider them proper levels.

Miami: B for the mission, A for the map. The race is a cool gimmick, but it makes your opportunities a bit annoying, as you have to decide whether you're going to gently caress with the cars or wait until it's done. Both targets are walled off from each other, but that's the case with all these first 3 missions, they're just too large to be cohesive. The map itself is almost two separate sections, with only a few ways between, but I love the atmosphere and it's quite a unique setting. Also like how many reoccurring side characters are found here.

Santa Fortuna: C for the mission, A- for the map. A lot of people don't like this one and I can see why, but the different sections aren't as separate as they first seem, they've done a really good job of putting many ways to get around. It does feel like three separate missions, but so does Mumbai and people love that one. I just really like the jungle setting and the village, so I enjoy this map.

Mumbai: B for the mission, A for the map. The biggest and most ambitious level of any hitman game. There are enough ways to get the targets to meet and the kashmerian plot is fun, so it doesn't feel like a slog. It's fun trying to identify the Maelstrom just by wandering the slums too. Great atmosphere, it's fun just to explore.

These huge levels (miami, SF, Mumbai) are unlike anything else in hitman. They have so much potential for bonus missions with all the space that isn't used, I feel like iOi had more ambitious plans for them but then ran out of time/money and turned some planned elusive targets into special assignments and called it a day. Hopefully they see some love with the H3 post release support.

Whittleton Creek: C- for the mission, C for the map. Not too fond of this one. Janus is an interesting target, but Cassidy is just kind of an afterthought, not many good opportunities for him. Getting the clues every time is pretty annoying as well. The map is a bit too samey, the house layouts are basically identical. I get that A New Life was really popular in blood money, and it's a fun atmosphere, but the expanded version doesn't really work as well.

Sgail: A for the mission, A+ for the map. I didn't think I'd enjoy this one as much replaying it properly, but I loved it. Starting down at the bottom, becoming an initiate and then an ark member, working my way up to the penthouse and stabbing Zoe in the face with a broadsword felt so awesome. Some fun opportunities. The map itself is amazing, the most verticality of any hitman map. It's so tightly wound and labyrinthine that it's daunting, but once you know your way around you realise how incredibly well designed it is. The atmosphere is awesome too, really feels like a proper villian lair, but the villians are all horrible billionaires and it's swarming with them. The dialogue on this map is great, especially the constants conversation with jebediah block. Continues the trend of excellent final levels (not counting the DLC)

New York: B- for the mission and the map. Nothing too exciting here, but a change of pace to have a mission that occurs entirely indoors. Only one target and not many cool opportunities. a side mission that has two different approaches is cool though. I wish they'd done a bit more with the vault, it's a bit too easy to access and you end up doing it the same way every time. Not too much to say about this one, fairly average.

Haven: B for the mission, A- for the map. Again three targets with their own separate domains, but a few ways to bring them together. I like the USB quest, and the web of lies going on between the targets is compelling. Few really fun opportunities though. The map is gorgeous and the weather change is a nice touch. The server room is really cool too, a nice surprise when you first discover it. Feels like a little holiday for 47.

Replaying these and watching those Hitman: The Full Story videos made me realise how much work they put into the individual targets and what's going on with them in each map. Might do some Hitman Lore posts when I'm finished with ratings for H3.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

American McGay posted:

As elf help book mentioned, silenced pistols are a ludicrously useful. It's best to remember that NPCs have four states; normal, distracted, panicked/searching (for civilians/guards respectively) and combat. Generally you want them distracted. Getting them between those states is a clockwork puzzle like everything else in the game so you can learn to manage and manipulate it.

Fire a silenced pistol where they can't hear the shot itself but can hear the impact and it's basically a coin toss except you have like 40 coins. Practice on the Dartmoor detective, you can easily lead him into bushes.

However if they see the shot or the impact, or the two shots are too close together, they'll enter panic/search. Panic is good for civilians because they won't snitch on you for trespassing (or other crimes? Not sure). Search is usually bad with guards but can be useful I guess - making them search for ages off in some irrelevant area? I usually lose my nerve at that point. To keep them in a chain of distraction, wait until they turn and start walking away before firing a second time.

I think if they hear the shot but not the impact it's just a distraction, and if they hear/see both it's panic/search, but honestly how often is that going to happen so who cares. I could have some of this wrong but it works for me.

Kind of wish there was a way to tell who would hear your shots like a radius, it sometimes feels arbitrary but also I've noticed a lot more bugs in this game where people just see you / bodies through loving walls so best just to play it safe lol

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Feb 16, 2021

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Tbh its probably better to not worry about that stuff earlier on as its kind of a way to cheese maps beyond their intended puzzles, and has its greatest applications in insane speedrun strats.
Its good to have a big tool belt in this game though

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah it's way more fun to just blunder about when learning maps, just good to know for SASO, getting through tight areas etc

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I saw a real cool strat in Sapienza where they used the gun to panic some civilians, who went and got the guards from the mansion gate and drew them away to search, so 47 could walk in.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
My blind Hokkaido run was going really well, up until the end, when I got to find out the hard way that the glass between the sauna and the maintenance room is bullet proof.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Lmao Chongqing SASO really is just a matter of doing the drone sniping thing slightly more carefully than usual huh

After a few plays of this map I find it a bit rough round the edges, seem to be a few bugs with patrols/spotting bodies and the bloc and lab are both a bit boring to get around. Still good but not as good as I first thought

Still I think the maps in this one have been the most consistently Good, which is cool when it has experimental stuff like Berlin and Dartmoor. I know the last one isn't a real fleshed out level but there are no disappointments like the suburb, Colorado etc

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Feb 18, 2021

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/HiTMAN/comments/lmkrt5/h2_locations_can_be_transferred_to_h3_on_epic_now/

Transferring Steam Hitman 2 levels into Epic Hitman 3 is now available

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Lmao I was checking for any updates on this just an hour or two ago but they've kept it silent to avoid server overload so I didn't find anything. Cool, perfectly timed for me to play bank/haven before finishing off 3

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bank is a cool map but not sure I'm a fan of the secondary objective... Only played a couple of runs but in this one I'm just trying to figure out who the other two guys with keycards *are* lol. Getting into the vault was fine I guess but I don't want to keep doing it

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

oh baby

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I saw there was an update.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

https://www.ioi.dk/hitman-3-february-patch-3-11/

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Oh Snap 2.0
We’ve resolved an issue where a small speech bubble saying “Oh Snap” would appear in the level, seemingly at random. Not sure what else to say about this one. No more speech bubbles

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lmao