Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Pomp posted:

I watched it again.

The lengths they go to wrongfoot you about what kind of movie it is pay off so well at the end of the first act. When Charlie died I realized that on my first viewing I was in the same emotional space as Peter; shocked, and unsure if what I thought happened really happened. Then they draw that out for, what, 5 minutes? They just let you stew in it with him, denying resolution until his mother begins wailing.

That second act was still really rough to watch though, god drat.

My favourite misdirect was Peter seeing the woman across the street trying to 'cast him out.' It hints at something very different. I think that's why the movie works. A good twist just casts everything you've seen in a different light, rather than causing whole chunks of the movie to no longer make sense (there's one where the main character, who turns out to be the murderer, hunts through someone else's apartment, finding proof that seems to show he's the killer and getting scared, even though she's the killer and knows it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Happy Halloween.

This movie was bizarrely fun to watch because it was difficult to tell what was real or not, until the scene where Peter turns around and sees the naked cultist dude in the background smiling—then I was like :stare: straight to the end.

Yeah, this is the scariest poo poo I've seen in years.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

Shneak posted:

Happy Halloween.

This movie was bizarrely fun to watch because it was difficult to tell what was real or not, until the scene where Peter turns around and sees the naked cultist dude in the background smiling—then I was like :stare: straight to the end.

Yeah, this is the scariest poo poo I've seen in years.

I literally loving screamed in terror in the theater during the scare right after that moment. Couldn't sleep for a week.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I watched the movie at home and spent a considerable part past Charlie hitting the pole, with a clenched fist pressed against my mouth. Harrowing. No laughs from me. I've been working up the courage to watch it again; not because of the supernatural stuff or gore but because of the emotional terror.

I appreciated how banal most of the supernatural rituals were; the seance is a super simple process without any drawn out moments for tension. Just light the candle, say the words, woop there your dead child is. Also really liked that Annie was able to reproduce it twice, instead of having her try it with the family present and failing. Similarly, the silly banality of the demonic cult photo album and pudgy middle-aged white folks smiling and waving from the shadows.

In hindsight the Lumpy Addams dude who smiles at Charlie is hilarious. You can see him thinking "ohhh ohhmigod it's Paimon! Such a fan of your work!"

edit: oh it did instill an irrational fear of barely glimpsed figures silently watching me from the nightly darkness.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 4, 2018

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I loved the climax of the film for how they managed to convey that everything is totally hosed and there's no turning back now. The creepy peeping naked people didn't have to care if they were seen at that point, the ritual was complete and Peter wasn't even Peter anymore.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Something I read real early on in the thread, about Steven perhaps not being Peter's biological dad; I got that feeling from the way he was kind of hands-off in some of the family interactions, the way a step-parent would. If it's intended, it came across nicely subtle.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
To me it felt as though Steven playing the straight man to the insanity unfolding in the movie kind of makes him feel standoffish but I don't think there's anything in the movie's text that is supposed to suggest he's not the biological father, the only reason I think this even became a point of discussion is Peter's actor being so swarthy compared to both of his parents and sister.

I think Steven's detachment is more of an allusion to the fact that he is psychotherapist who is pretty much cognitively incapable of seeing the situation as anything other than his wife suffering through a mental breakdown, in many ways he doesn't really participate in the narrative until the moment he dies.

battlepigeon
Aug 3, 2008

I like to think that Gabriel Byrne's role as Steve is just a continuation of his role in In Treatment.

Poor guy has the worst job ever.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

davidspackage posted:

Something I read real early on in the thread, about Steven perhaps not being Peter's biological dad; I got that feeling from the way he was kind of hands-off in some of the family interactions, the way a step-parent would. If it's intended, it came across nicely subtle.

Considering how funky he looks I'm pretty certain she's not his mother either. Quite frankly nobody in this family is related anyway

battlepigeon posted:

I like to think that Gabriel Byrne's role as Steve is just a continuation of his role in In Treatment.

Poor guy has the worst job ever.

I think half of Byrne's career is being fed up with freaky possessed bullshit

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

This movie is streaming on amazon prime now and it's quite a trip. Totally gut-churning and absurd. I love that it actually ends up being about demonic possession, though the principal characters lose their heads anyway.

Flutch
Jun 26, 2008

Nice, hope to hear more first reports coming in. Theatregoing experience was hit or miss, i guess they never miss huh, depending on audience. Perhaps ideal first view is on a dank home theatre or on a laptop w good headphones.

I adore this film, my top of 2018. Be sure to check out the deleted scenes.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Anyone else want to talk about how Toni Collet was robbed?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Me. I would like to talk about it. She’s a tremendous actress. She was robbed and not given her due credit for one of the best performances of 2018.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Yeah; her performance was through the roof and then some.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
She was totally robbed. The whole cast in this movie is great but her performance makes it work.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
It's a horror movie so I figured the chances of any Oscar attention were slim. Get Out shocked the hell out of me.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This is the first time I’ve ever been mad about technical Oscars since this seemed like an obvious choice for the sound categories.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

She deserves an Oscar if only for that wailing scene... Harrowing.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Samovar posted:

Yeah; her performance was through the roof and then some.

:hmmyes: :kingsley:

One of the things that was most unnerving for me is how realistic the "negative emotion" performances are actually the board. Everybody had some extreme scenes and they were amazing - the actors were inhabiting those characters in such a real way.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Yeah all the business around first act trauma is so good it kinda makes you wish the movie had just been a domestic drama.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Olympic Mathlete posted:

She deserves an Oscar if only for that wailing scene... Harrowing.

Also the dinner scene, although all three were amazing in that scene. Gabriel Byrne too.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

porfiria posted:

Yeah all the business around first act trauma is so good it kinda makes you wish the movie had just been a domestic drama.

I found the stuff in the final act to be a relief actually.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Drunkboxer posted:

I found the stuff in the final act to be a relief actually.

Haha this is a great reaction—the tensest, scariest scene in the movie is the dinner scene.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

Also the dinner scene, although all three were amazing in that scene. Gabriel Byrne too.

My job is 90% descalation, and I've never related to a character more than him looking tired while everyone's shouting at dinner

"DON'T YOU EVER SWEAR AT ME"
*deep sigh*

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Pomp posted:

My job is 90% descalation, and I've never related to a character more than him looking tired while everyone's shouting at dinner

*deep sigh*

Have you ever thought, "boy, I'm compartmentalizing a lot today"?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

RichterIX posted:

It's a horror movie so I figured the chances of any Oscar attention were slim. Get Out shocked the hell out of me.

Get Out was Oscar's token black friend.

Not that it wasn't a great movie. I loved it. But that's the only reason the AA gave a poo poo about it.

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

RichterIX posted:

It’s really a shame the Academy is allergic to horror since there have been some absolute loving knockouts the past 5 or 10 years. For “Best Actress” alone there have been some amazingly worthy performances. Toni Collette in Hereditary, Essie Davis in The Babadook, Anya Taylor-Joy in The Witch...

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Pomp posted:

*deep sigh*

The dinner scene was the single best scene I watched all year. It was brutal.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 12, 2019

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That's basically my mom sometimes. Especially the "wipe that face of your face!" that manic mish-mash of words to create nonsense because you're losing it. Hits home hard.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The word mash made me laugh because it perfectly encapsulates how vocabulary gets jumbled when you put your entire focus on trying to be as awesomely angry as possible.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

This movie is great. The way it builds tension is fantastic. However, it was hard to treat seriously after the pole scene. It's just not believable and kinda ridiculous.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You don't have to treat it seriously. I think the movie ramping up in wildness is just fun.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The pole scene is a weird part to call out to me, since the fallout from it is some absolutely surreal, hosed up drama. Probably the best part of the entire movie, to me at least. That scene could have been it's own movie. it definitely gets progressively more ridiculous after that, but I was 100% on board for all of it.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

drat just remembered how good this movie is

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

veni veni veni posted:

The pole scene is a weird part to call out to me, since the fallout from it is some absolutely surreal, hosed up drama. Probably the best part of the entire movie, to me at least. That scene could have been it's own movie. it definitely gets progressively more ridiculous after that, but I was 100% on board for all of it.

Oh, don't get me wrong, the fallout and drama were fantastic. It's just the idea of a small girl sticking her body out far enough of a car so that she strikes the pole is hilariously unrealistic to me. Those poles are never next to the road (so that cars don't hit them), so the car would have to go off pavement first. It's also hard for me to imagine her body being that much farther out that the mirror (which is untouched) without falling out. I know I am being pedantic, but all this made this particular death seem silly to me, enough to laugh at it, which unfortunately undermined the following drama a bit. I would buy it more if she hit a passing semi or something.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

pokie posted:

Oh, don't get me wrong, the fallout and drama were fantastic. It's just the idea of a small girl sticking her body out far enough of a car so that she strikes the pole is hilariously unrealistic to me. Those poles are never next to the road (so that cars don't hit them), so the car would have to go off pavement first. It's also hard for me to imagine her body being that much farther out that the mirror (which is untouched) without falling out. I know I am being pedantic, but all this made this particular death seem silly to me, enough to laugh at it, which unfortunately undermined the following drama a bit. I would buy it more if she hit a passing semi or something.

Did you miss the part where her brother driving the car was massively impaired and that is part of why the car was not in fact a safe distance from the pole?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Also the accident occurred as he was swerving to avoid a dead animal that happened to be in just the right spot.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Sure, but I still don't see how you have this outcome without damaging the car. I am nitpicking though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

pokie posted:

I am nitpicking though.

You think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

pokie posted:

Sure, but I still don't see how you have this outcome without damaging the car. I am nitpicking though.

It was all supposed to happen to remove Paiman from Charlie’s body, to begin to put it into Peter’s