Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
This movie fell REALLY flat with the audience in the crowded theater i saw it in. Lots of laughter at scary moments and people loudly voicing their displeasure at the end.

I was mostly just confused at the end, despite finding certain scenes scary and depressing as hell. It's clear from this thread that I missed a lot of subtle things (the teacher and the girl at the party were possibly in the cult? holy poo poo), so I want to see it a second time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

No one laughed in my theater and everyone loved the movie.

The end

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i am surprised that this movie is funny to some folks? i get nervous laughter and there are some funny moments, but by and large it hit me like a ton of bricks. it seems like kind of a polarising film and i guess horror films rely on a certain amount of buy-in and willingness from the audience.

good electric
Jan 29, 2009
HIS LIFE IS DEFICIENT. HE NEVER HAS SEX.

HE LACKS $10 TO BUY HIMSELF A CUSTOM TITLE AND IS REDUCED TO BEGGING FOR ONE.
the only really funny moment is when peter does his thing with the desk and it cuts to a wide shot and there’s a kid filming it on his phone lol

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
There were definitely some really bleakly humorous moments in the movie, but nothing I would have felt comfortable laughing at out loud:

- when Peter starts freaking out and smashing his head on the desk/convulsing they zoom out and one of his rear end in a top hat classmates is taking a video
- Gabriel Byrne writing an email to the tune of "I believe Annie may be beginning to have (or ALREADY BE IN THE MIDDLE OF) a mental breakdown" - haha, you don't say?

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 10, 2018

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
I kind of laughed after Annie saws her head off and then Peter sees the naked cultists and just NOPES the gently caress out and leaps through the window

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
these two idiots in my theater burst out laughing every time one of the naked cultists appeared at the end and walked out 5 minutes before the ending. they also brought in cheeseburgers and made the place smell like fast food for the first 30 minutes of the movie.

Planet Piss
Dec 18, 2006

hey you kids, get out of my moat, it was not meant to be played in

RichterIX posted:

I haven't been able to confirm this but someone on another forum said the girl chopping nuts is one of the cultists you see toward the end of the movie. That might be total bullshit though.

I definitely didn't catch that, and I don't think it's true none of the cultists at the end looked younger than 40. I was specifically looking for Joan but she doesn't even seem to be there.

When I saw it the first time the theater laughed every time Peter cried or showed any emotion which made me wonder how I ended up in a theater full of sociopaths. I couldn't help laughing when she floated up into the treehouse, but it was uncomfortable laughter for sure

Oh another thing what did that woman at the funeral do to the grandmother's lips? She was holding a bottle of something too, what was that about?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Thom and the Heads posted:

these two idiots in my theater burst out laughing every time one of the naked cultists appeared at the end and walked out 5 minutes before the ending. they also brought in cheeseburgers and made the place smell like fast food for the first 30 minutes of the movie.
They didn't have nuts in them, did they? We didn't bring the EpiPen!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

How do you have a kid with a nut allergy and not take an EpiPen everywhere? I get if they were poor because those are expensive and American insurance is a joke. But they didn't look that poor.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Len posted:

How do you have a kid with a nut allergy and not take an EpiPen everywhere? I get if they were poor because those are expensive and American insurance is a joke. But they didn't look that poor.

I mean the first time they're at a funeral so it could possibly be forgiven that they forgot.

And the second time was due to the machinations of Paimon, she needed to have that allergic reaction for this all to work.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

Planet Piss posted:

Oh another thing what did that woman at the funeral do to the grandmother's lips? She was holding a bottle of something too, what was that about?

I'm wondering about this, as well as the black thing in Toni Collette's pill bottle when she goes to visit Ann Dowd the first time. Was the cult trying to poison her or something?

Saw it today, enjoyed the hell out of it, but I feel like a lot of people left the theater disappointed at the ending. The biggest audience reaction by far was a ton of gasps at Annie's "I never wanted to be your mother" line.

Toni Collette really deserves an Oscar nom for this - how many actresses can pull off dramatic chops like the dinner table scene AND hang like a loving xenomorph from a teenager's bedroom ceiling

Planet Piss
Dec 18, 2006

hey you kids, get out of my moat, it was not meant to be played in
Yeah she was honestly just phenomenal in this. Really reminded me of Shelly Duvall in the Shining but with a bit more agency. Everyone gave a great performance, kudos to the casting director

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Len posted:

Talk about some bad parenting.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
My crowd sucked, making constant tongue clicking sounds at every quiet moment until I yelled for them to loving quit it already

I mean for fucks sakes the movie uses that sounds really effectively and they were pretty much actively undermining it

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Planet Piss posted:

I definitely didn't catch that, and I don't think it's true none of the cultists at the end looked younger than 40. I was specifically looking for Joan but she doesn't even seem to be there.

She was there in the ADR only so its almost like they made a movie and found out it was a boring slog and had to write a big crazy ending.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The people in front of me brought a goddamn one year old who wouldn't stop babbling and playing with a phone the whole time. Of all the movies to bring a goddamn baby to.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

glam rock hamhock posted:

My crowd sucked, making constant tongue clicking sounds at every quiet moment until I yelled for them to loving quit it already

I mean for fucks sakes the movie uses that sounds really effectively and they were pretty much actively undermining it

I really hope you are joking or when you saw the movie you yelled at people for the sound the movie makes.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

Tenzarin posted:

She was there in the ADR only so its almost like they made a movie and found out it was a boring slog and had to write a big crazy ending.

You see half her face when they show the lead cultist, I thought.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure if you think thought the audience were making a noise coming from the movie or if you understand that the audience made the sound themselves at every quiet moment they could (I can tell the difference between when the movie did and when the sudden did it) and yes it was annoying when the audience did it and it managed to make the moments when the movie did do it less effective

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
My audience did that too but teenagers are dumb so what can you do?

I remember seeing the trailer for this movie a while ago but I didn't remember it until I saw it listed at the theater. I enjoyed it. Like another poster said earlier, it reminded me of Mother! which I also liked. Major props to Toni Collette too.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
One of the strongest influences on this is Lovecrafts. Aside from the obvious 'safe, modern middle class folk encountering things from the dark edge of the old world' there's also the way they see a lot of things that they don't understand the significance of, like the lip thing at the funeral. Because they're encountering the manifestations of this evil creature and cult, and trying to survive it, rather than overcome or stop it

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

Popular Human posted:

I'm wondering about this, as well as the black thing in Toni Collette's pill bottle when she goes to visit Ann Dowd the first time. Was the cult trying to poison her or something?

I thought the black thing came from the cup she was drinking out of. I'm not sure I understand the significance either.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

another excellent part of the movie: Up until very late in the movie it still implants the idea that Toni Collette (and Alex Wolff) is(/are) an unreliable narrator driven crazy due to mental illness made much worse by massive trauma/grief. There's just enough in there that probably until the husband catches fire, or at very least until Charlie's spirit is conjured in the house you get an inkling that a lot of the more weird stuff is all in Collette's head as a different manifestation of the schitzophrenia/DID that her family had. The dream scenes and talk of sleepwalking helps cultivate that.

good electric posted:

the only really funny moment is when peter does his thing with the desk and it cuts to a wide shot and there’s a kid filming it on his phone lol

also Peter's friend's constant talk of dicks in his texts.

Len posted:

the second time I can totally imagine Peter not knowing if they keep an EpiPen in the van, and the first time they were probably very distracted by the grief/incoming funeral.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Great movie, probably one of the worst theater experiences of my life. Everyone inexplicably cracked up laughing when the mother said "I never wanted to have you."

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I didn't know this director made that short film about dad rape.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

DC Murderverse posted:

another excellent part of the movie: Up until very late in the movie it still implants the idea that Toni Collette (and Alex Wolff) is(/are) an unreliable narrator driven crazy due to mental illness made much worse by massive trauma/grief. There's just enough in there that probably until the husband catches fire, or at very least until Charlie's spirit is conjured in the house you get an inkling that a lot of the more weird stuff is all in Collette's head as a different manifestation of the schitzophrenia/DID that her family had. The dream scenes and talk of sleepwalking helps cultivate that.

also Peter's friend's constant talk of dicks in his texts.

the second time I can totally imagine Peter not knowing if they keep an EpiPen in the van, and the first time they were probably very distracted by the grief/incoming funeral.

I still think it's possible that the narrative is made up entirely of Annie and Peter's collective insanity.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gaunab posted:

I didn't know this director made that short film about dad rape.

This explains everything.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

BrendianaJones posted:

The article I read said the original cut was over three hours long, which was mostly more family drama. The director cut it back because he knew audiences wouldn't go for a 3+ hour horror film.

I thought the movie fell apart after the transition to openly supernatural Goetic demon possession but I would be so down to see this.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Love this but it’s a very similar movie to the witch, not that I’m complaining about two movies that both end with Satan being called to earth. I really loved the change in music, with the sounding of bells and triumph. These guys should keep making movies like this. Also, was that the headless bird flapping in the cage at the end?

meanolmrcloud fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 10, 2018

SMP
May 5, 2009

Toni Collette in this movie is "Sheryl Lee in FWWM" tier. This is the scariest god drat movie I have EVER seen. gently caress.

Henker
May 5, 2009

meanolmrcloud posted:

Love this but it’s a very similar movie to the witch, not that I’m complaining about two movies that both end with Satan being called to earth. I really loved the change in music, with the sounding of bells and triumph. These guys should keep making movies like this. Also, was that the headless bird flapping in the cage at the end?
A24 should use these two films to start a Witchcraft Cinematic Universe.

One detail I liked was all the creepy rear end crafts projects in Charlie's room. Then with the ending putting everything in context, you realize they're probably statues of goetic demons.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Holy poo poo this movie was amazing. I have a theory that I haven't seen discussed anywhere though.....

The demon can enter a body, but can only act if the host is receptive/passive, and can only be released by beheading the host.

First, Annie said her mother had DID (multiple personalities). Grandma might have been possessed by the demon, but went back & forth. The shot of Grandma wearing the crown (later given to Peter when he's possessed) seems to indicate that she was "chosen" at some point. Her body was beheaded presumably right after the funeral, when the grave was desecrated.

Then, the dancing light beam went to Charlie. She was a weird kid, so it was impossible to determine whether her behavior changed after that, but then the party happened, but because she was the only one who cared about Grandma, she was the most vulnerable in the wake of Grandma's death. But then Charlie had an allergic reaction, and either a) the demon decided that this "vessel" was weak & imperfect & went for the beheading, b) the cult knew the demon didn't like being in girls so set up the beheading, or c) the beheading was accidental, but in any case, Charlie lost her head & the demon was released.

Next, Annie loses her poo poo, becoming more and more unhinged and therefore, vulnerable. The final straw is the book-burning scene, where the demon chooses to burn the husband, to both break her down further, and because he's not part of the chosen bloodline, so can be ditched. The light settles on Annie, her face changes, she starts doing all kinds of creepy wall crawling poo poo and so on, until Peter is sufficiently softened up, at which point the demon saws the head off of its host and is freed to enter Peter, who was his target all along.

What do you guys think?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I thought this was a lot of fun and I spent most of the movie enjoying how well-made it was. It wasn't the gonzo bonecrunching nightmare people are making it out to be, which was kinda disappointing, but I liked how the family drama elements were put into the foreground (Toni Collette -> oscar). Once she opened the book and read the thing about the body being a vessel I kinda went "oh" and a lot of the pressure left, which was too bad, but then it kept being a really good movie anyways.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Thinking about it more if the thing about the original cut being over 3 hours is true it would have done a lot to make the beginning feel less disjointed. But then it still would have became that third act wet fart.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Aw, I don't think the third act was a wet fart at all, it was just familiar. Her floating at the apex of the ceiling, cutting her neck with a wire was an amazing image. It would've been cool if the miniatures had been more than a thematic hook, though.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I don’t know if this really needs spoilers since it’s a horror film and a cliche trope, but why the gently caress did they have to kill the dog. You don’t even know they have a dog until it randomly pops up halfway through the movie for 12 seconds. The only other shot of this dog is when it’s dead. I’m so sick of horror using animal death as a cheap shock. This film does such a good job at setting the tone and mood of being eerie and disturbing it absolutely did not need the dog death.

I felt like maybe it was a bit long. It could’ve just been me needing to pee most of the film.

Those are really my only complaints. I thought this was an excellent horror film that excelled at being disturbing and eerie, and not jump scaring you. Those are the best kind of horror.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Windows 98 posted:

I don’t know if this really needs spoilers since it’s a horror film and a cliche trope, but why the gently caress did they have to kill the dog. You don’t even know they have a dog until it randomly pops up halfway through the movie for 12 seconds. The only other shot of this dog is when it’s dead. I’m so sick of horror using animal death as a cheap shock. This film does such a good job at setting the tone and mood of being eerie and disturbing it absolutely did not need the dog death.

I felt like maybe it was a bit long. It could’ve just been me needing to pee most of the film.

Those are really my only complaints. I thought this was an excellent horror film that excelled at being disturbing and eerie, and not jump scaring you. Those are the best kind of horror.

Lol I thought it was rad. They didn't get in your face about it, just gave a nice, subtle "oh by the way the dog's dead, too"

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I did kinda giggled at that because you don’t see the dog die or why it died or how it died, it’s just dead, like, “yeah the dog died, anyways let’s go see what’s happening over here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
another thing I liked a lot were the subtle parts of the film that let you know that the cult is all around them. The school teacher and a few of the party goers make an appearance at the end during the worshipping. During the party scene there are a few kids watching a video on a laptop for maybe 2 seconds and the video they are watching is an old “guillotine” video from 1896-1900. One of the earliest films that used trick cuts as a special effect. I can’t remember what the name of the film was but I believe it’s from France and it’s about the beheading of some bourgeoise scum corrupt politician. It was featured in a Meliese documentary recently watched by coincidence. It fits with the rest of the beheading themes in the film. There’s another part where Annie is looking through a photo album and the camera is a bit too far to see exactly everything but the faces in the photo album are all smudged like in The Ring.