Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I watched the movie at home and spent a considerable part past Charlie hitting the pole, with a clenched fist pressed against my mouth. Harrowing. No laughs from me. I've been working up the courage to watch it again; not because of the supernatural stuff or gore but because of the emotional terror.

I appreciated how banal most of the supernatural rituals were; the seance is a super simple process without any drawn out moments for tension. Just light the candle, say the words, woop there your dead child is. Also really liked that Annie was able to reproduce it twice, instead of having her try it with the family present and failing. Similarly, the silly banality of the demonic cult photo album and pudgy middle-aged white folks smiling and waving from the shadows.

In hindsight the Lumpy Addams dude who smiles at Charlie is hilarious. You can see him thinking "ohhh ohhmigod it's Paimon! Such a fan of your work!"

edit: oh it did instill an irrational fear of barely glimpsed figures silently watching me from the nightly darkness.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Something I read real early on in the thread, about Steven perhaps not being Peter's biological dad; I got that feeling from the way he was kind of hands-off in some of the family interactions, the way a step-parent would. If it's intended, it came across nicely subtle.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Seyser Koze posted:

Probably not the worst thing Walgreen's has had to develop.

You see the first photos of old people partying, you start averting your eyes just in case.