Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enfys

The ocean is calling and I must go

You should conduct an audit. If people aren't filing their friendship returns on time, you can charge them interest and a penalty for late filing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Unfortunately friendchains are an immutable ledger.

lofi

They contain a record of every Friendcoin transaction, of who gave Friendness to who, forever.

By popular demand

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

The BuddyBond® market just crashed! I lost millions and my dear old 🐈.
How do I get started on the whole drug manufacturing thing?

Midjack

Buy your friends horses. Then buy your friends' horses.

Sundae
The best way to tell who is your real friend is to offer them money. Real friends refuse it while fake friends accept generous gifts. Withdraw your entire 401(k) and divide it into equal portions for each "friend." Then give it to them. If they accept, never talk to them again. They're not your "best."

Sirotan

Sirotan is a seal.

You could try churning them. Sign up and use them long enough to get the reward - say, some trips to the bar or an invite to a backyard BBQ - then cancel before you end up having to pay the reciprocity fees. I'm on my 3rd best friend this year, I would drop a few but I'm thinking about buying a house, so I don't want it to affect my friend score.

CannonFodder

Friends help friends when someone has to move house, and the best friends are those with a truck.

Be a best friend, buy a truck. The bestest friends have the biggest truck, and you want to be the bestest friend, right?

Haifisch

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Have you considered buying a friendshare? I know a lot of people think they're scams, and they are BWM for a lot of people, but if you're okay with seeing the same friend every year or going to the friends you have points for, it can be a decent deal. Just be aware you can basically never get rid of your friendshare unless you're willing to pay someone to take it off your hands, or unless you die.

If that doesn't interest you, try Whole Friend Insurance. That way if someone stops being your friend, you get a nice payout for it, and the money you invest just goes UP UP UP in the meantime.

Dwight Eisenhower

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
could someone please post a quick summary of the tax implications of friendcoin transactions?

I'm thinking about adding up to 3 more friends in 2018 but wanna make sure my withholding is set up right

DJCobol

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

could someone please post a quick summary of the tax implications of friendcoin transactions?

I'm thinking about adding up to 3 more friends in 2018 but wanna make sure my withholding is set up right

The standard deduction changed in 2018 so now its 2 friends. Any more friends than that and you'd be better off itemizing them.

Weatherman

WARBLEKLONK
SELL YOUR SHITFRIENDS

Dik Hz

Fun with Science

Midjack posted:

Buy your friends horses. Then buy your friends' horses.
Excellent idea. Turn that underutilized friend equity into horse equity.

Hoodwinker

Can anybody tell me if my friend allocation makes sense for my age? I'm looking to retire from friendships early, if that's any help. I have 9 domestic friends, 2 international, and 1 fixed spouse.

Devian666

Take some advice Chris.

I think a lot of males are bad at maintaining relationships with people that are worthwhile. Perhaps don't treat friendship as if it works like the algorithm in the Sims. All you need to do is stay in touch by email, phone or not be lazy and visit people.

Perhaps it is time for the OP to re-evaluate his worldview and what is worthwhile in life. At very least start saving for retirement.

Hoodwinker posted:

Can anybody tell me if my friend allocation makes sense for my age? I'm looking to retire from friendships early, if that's any help. I have 9 domestic friends, 2 international, and 1 fixed spouse.
If you are holding your friends in a 401K sell those friendships and take out the friendship money as a loan. Then you can buy more friends that expire in 7 years.

Monokeros deAstris
which means Magical Space Unicorn

Hoodwinker posted:

Why bother with any fixed spouse at all? Friendships are volatile but you don't care what your friends do tomorrow, only 30 years from now. The spouse is just a drag on your gains

Devian666

Take some advice Chris.

Alhireth-Hotep posted:

Why bother with any fixed spouse at all? Friendships are volatile but you don't care what your friends do tomorrow, only 30 years from now. The spouse is just a drag on your gains

The OP needs to get swole with their friends gains. Maybe this thread would be better placed in YLLS.

Moneyball

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I think we've got it for a few days, then on to greener pastures

or til we run out of finance related jokes

Or what's the opposite of BFC? Music? Art?

Bobbie Wickham

by Smythe
Redneck or Sports, Redneck or Sports!

Dik Hz

Fun with Science

Moneyball posted:

I think we've got it for a few days, then on to greener pastures

or til we run out of finance related jokes

Or what's the opposite of BFC? Music? Art?
Opposite of BFC is probably bitcoin, forex, and candles. Oh wait......

Sundae

Notax posted:

So if your friends are all "best" friends with each other in a relay arrangement, how do you stop them from being your "best" friend, even years later?

Oh, and, by the way, there's no way to talk directly with anyone you used to be "friends" with. The conditions prohibit anything specific. You would have to stop them by a proxy force..... but how???

You're missing one of the most important parts of any friendship arrangement: trust. Place executive authority of all your friendcoins in a blind trust, tell your friends how much you've trusted them, and that'll satisfy all the notification requirements. You can then let your executor deal with all of them by proxy while you don't worry about silly things like talking to them, talking about them, or grown-up adult scenarios or communication.

Note that while this approach is great for dealing with friends with assets, you can't access any of the benefits associated with friends with benefits while they're in trust.

Edit: Also, I think Goons With Spoons would have this guy's recipe for success!

BUG JUG

Hoodwinker posted:

Why did you go with a fixed spouse when everyone else in your age bracket are going with floating spouses and open relationships?

Devian666

Take some advice Chris.

BUG JUG posted:

Why did you go with a fixed spouse when everyone else in your age bracket are going with floating spouses and open relationships?

The index fund of open relationships provides a much better yield.

Hoodwinker

BUG JUG posted:

I personally prefer to establish my asset allocation early on and sticking with it regardless of social markets. I feel better with a certain amount of fixed social income.

Splicer

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I've got some spare social capital lying around and I'm looking to invest. Should I diversify across a broad range of close acquaintances or go all in on one best friend with a truck?

Splicer fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jun 12, 2018

By popular demand

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

The problem with investing in friends is that they can leave and chaining them in the basement reduces the value considerably.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I think this whole arrangement really relies on your understanding of friend equity, which for tax purposes you should try to plan to address under the long term friend equity rate

lofi

I tried to avoid having to pay friendtax by selling my bestie to a family member for $1, but now the government are investigating me, please advise.

By popular demand

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

drat big government and their arbitrary definitions of "slavery" and "abduction"! I should be a friend billionaire by now!

moana

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Splicer posted:

I've got some spare social capital lying around and I'm looking to invest. Should I diversify across a broad range of close acquaintances or go all in on one best friend with a truck?
Do you not have any friends with horses? Also can everybody please post expense ratios when asking these types of questions, it really doesn't make sense to evaluate friends without knowing how much they cost upfront.

Has anyone here ever leased a friend? I know it's not normally a good deal, but say I just need a best friend for a year or so, like for an upcoming wedding that they can help me plan. Would it be worth it then?

Haifisch

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Leasing a friend in that situation can be a good deal if you're mindful of all the lease terms. You don't want to be taking the friend back to the dealership and be surprised with a fee because you went over the number of allowed hangout-hours.

Devian666

Take some advice Chris.

The best thing about fractional reserve friendship is that you can just print more friends to create social liquidity. It can literally avoid depression.

Breetai

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Is this viral marketing for the latest Tommy Wiseau film? If so this needs to go to the cinema subforum pronto.

By popular demand

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Don't take FriendCoin tips from Tommy, they always sleep with his women or still his brilliant banking ideas.

Devian666

Take some advice Chris.

Oh hai Notax.

Fredrik1

Gopherslayer
:rock:
friends are only going up up up!

lofi

Moneyball

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Okay everyone, back on the bus. We're going to Goons With Spoons for some to die for avocado toast

alnilam

Tired: Cook for your friends :shobon:

Wired: Cook your friends :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Oh hell yeah, the best friend I ever had with some white wine and mushroom sauce.
Them was good eating.
E: don't forget to sprinkle with grated piccorino cheese, and don't you dare bring that horrible synthetic 'truffle oil'.

• Locked thread