Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
https://nypost.com/2018/06/02/dating-columnist-reveals-how-sex-and-the-city-ruined-her-life/

It's like the female equivalent of incels, an incel who thought American Pie was a documentary instead of a dumb guy flick and got angry that in real life women don't like fat nerdy guys.

Some choice quotes

quote:

Based on what I knew from “SATC,” I expected the city to sweep me off my feet. I envisioned nonstop brunching and shopping.

It had such an outsize influence on me that — even with a very expensive degree in government — I said to myself: “I’m obviously going to be a columnist.” It seemed so reasonable and attainable. I emailed the editor of amNewYork — the free daily paper — no fewer than 16 times in six months, begging for a column, even offering to do it for free.

When that paper finally hired me, I made $50 per weekly column. I later moved to Time Out New York, where I made $750 a week — a huge improvement, but still not enough to buy Manolos and barely enough to afford the $2,500 rent for my 400-square-foot apartment in Hell’s Kitchen.

I lived on food bought for me on dates and the occasional bodega tuna sandwich.

. . .

In 2008, my two best girlfriends and I had just filmed a Bravo pilot for a show called “It Girls” (it wasn’t picked up). We were all invited by a 40-something billionaire to his Miami mansion; he even sent his private jet for us. It was just him, the three of us and his butler and chef. I don’t think this man was used to being told no, and he started chasing me around his mansion. I finally had to lock myself in the bathroom. The worst part: He sent us back on JetBlue.

. . .

Last year, I ended a two-year relationship with a man who ultimately couldn’t commit and wanted to be polyamorous. Again, “SATC” and the “lessons” it taught me is the culprit. The show wasn’t a rubric on how to find a lifelong partnership. If I was more grounded and had honestly assessed whether this man was a good partner for me, I don’t think we ever would have dated.

Crushed and needing to regroup, I took a sabbatical and lived in Bali for eight months on a healing journey. I was also celibate during my time there.

I do wonder what my life would have looked like if “Sex and the City” had never come across my consciousness. Perhaps I’d be married with children now? Who knows, but I can say for sure that, as clever and aesthetically pleasing as the show was — and, as much as I agree with its value of female friendships — it showed too much consumerism and fear of intimacy disguised as empowerment.

It’s like candy: In the moment it feels good to eat it, but afterward, you feel sick. Whom you’re dating, what you’re wearing, or how good you look at that premiere — none of that s–t matters unless you genuinely love yourself. Solid relationships are what really matter.

Truth be told, I wish I had never heard of “SATC.” I’m sure there are worse role models but, for me, it did permanent and measurable damage to my psyche that I’m still cleaning up.

Man, modern media really messes up the portion of the population who lack a firm grasp of reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
that poor woman :(

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
At least she didn't call it "Sex in the City"

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
poo poo and the lovely

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
s-t

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
everyone who holidays in bali will be first against the wall

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Congrats on having the resources to live in Bali for 8 months finding yourself because you make terrible life decisions

Omnitrix
Aug 14, 2008

Jacob likes air cooled VW's
Having a trust fund must just be so soul crushing...

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Angelwolf posted:

At least she didn't call it "Sex in the City"

Never watched the show, I thought thats what it was lol

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

My life is exactly like Entourage.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
what a garbage show for garbage people

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Clipperton posted:

everyone who holidays in bali will be first against the wall

It wasn't a holiday, it was a "healing journey".

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Clipperton posted:

everyone who holidays in bali will be first against the wali

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

It's amazing how we choose innocuous things to blame the failures of our lives on. For me it's the government satellite that's been positioned in orbit above my apartment building and catalogs my movements and habits for later study. I know my problems are my own fault but I don't think the satellite is helping.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
Sabrina the Teenage Witch ruined my life because I'm now stuck with a dumbass cat who doesn't talk

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I Watched Breaking Bad And Now I'm In Federal Prison

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

same but with the sonic the hedgehog cartoon show

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I Watched Baywatch And Now My Dick Is Broken

Butter Hole
Dec 8, 2011

Terrific Accident posted:

It's amazing how we choose innocuous things to blame the failures of our lives on. For me it's the government satellite that's been positioned in orbit above my apartment building and catalogs my movements and habits for later study. I know my problems are my own fault but I don't think the satellite is helping.

Well, I don't want to blame it all on 9/11, but it certainly didn't help.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Anyone have her columns? Are they just rewrites of sex and the city episodes?

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Once again the fake media deceives people. How often will this happen before we need to take a stand and make things right?

DeathTongue
Jul 13, 2001

Pawn 17 posted:

So she went from "Sex and the City" to "Eat, Pray, Love"? Again, who the gently caress can afford to just gently caress off to Bali for 8 months on a whim? My life should be so hard.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Pawn 17 posted:

they found another mass grave in bali from the '65 massacres just last year

this dipshit was probably doing her hot yoga on top of a thousand dead people

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I hosed A Fish Because of A Meme And That's Not Okay

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
What the gently caress is a sabbatical?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

that sucks lol

shoulda taught english in korea or taiwan or china and just partied

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
i bet the cost of living in bali is really low

PhantomPayne
Aug 8, 2017

I should think before posting
lol at following the advice of a humanoid horse, its like if someone wanted to be bojack horseman

shes also pretty stupid for renting a 2500 dollar apartment with money she didn't have

Extra Large Marge posted:

its listening to black sabbath for a whole year

a thing rich people do when they're oh so tired of their life and need a year to go do nothing and do coke off of whores

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

another word for vacation that white people trying to be sophisticated use

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

sincx posted:

https://nypost.com/2018/06/02/dating-columnist-reveals-how-sex-and-the-city-ruined-her-life/

It's like the female equivalent of incels, an incel who thought American Pie was a documentary instead of a dumb guy flick and got angry that in real life women don't like fat nerdy guys.

Some choice quotes

Man, modern media really messes up the portion of the population who lack a firm grasp of reality.

After reading all that, I feel like I need to spend 8 months in Bali on a healing journey.

Tiresias2
May 31, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
This poo poo has been going on since at least the publication of The Sorrows of Young Werther, and hey, Don Quixote might not have been entirely fictional either.

As for Werther though, if you ain't entirely insipid (though can't we all enjoy something sweet every now and again?) it might be the most powerful Bildungsroman I know of, the moral of which is DON'T loving TAKE REALITY TO BE LIKE A FAIRY TALE YOU DUMB gently caress.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

In theory it's like time off for professional development, e.g. a professor takes a sabbatical to focus on research if they have to go overseas somewhere or whatever.

In reality for people like the author,

PhantomPayne posted:

a thing rich people do when they're oh so tired of their life and need a year to go do nothing and do coke off of whores

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Between 2004 and 2011, I filmed nine TV pilots — many of which were reality shows, and all of which were a derivation of some kind of “SATC” role for me. I was always the Carrie. In one pilot, I hosted for Animal Planet; the premise was that your dog would choose whom you’d go out with....

...These days I work as a change activist, mounting summits for world leaders and serving as an adviser to startups and entrepreneurs looking to better the planet. I’m finally living a life of integrity, and I’m attuned to my values. I never heard about values on “Sex and the City.”
I don't understand how people like this aren't quietly murdered by their friends, family, or random passersby.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Tiresias2 posted:

This poo poo has been going on since at least the publication of The Sorrows of Young Werther, and hey, Don Quixote might not have been entirely fictional either.

As for Werther though, if you ain't entirely insipid (though can't we all enjoy something sweet every now and again?) it might be the most powerful Bildungsroman I know of, the moral of which is DON'T loving TAKE REALITY TO BE LIKE A FAIRY TALE YOU DUMB gently caress.

good mics

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

short for comics, op

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

Omnitrix posted:

Having a trust fund must just be so soul crushing...

Hey those truffles and caviar aren't going to eat themselves.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Nut to Butt posted:

I don't understand how people like this aren't quietly murdered by their friends, family, or random passersby.

Instead, there's successful designers and chefs, with families and children, killing themselves randomly. What a hosed up world.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?
Honestly, you could liquidate 90 percent of "content creators" and no one would notice.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

no i think we'd all be a bit happier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Love Rat posted:

Hey those truffles and caviar aren't going to eat themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfcr66-xR-M&hd=1

• Locked thread