Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

CrazyLoon posted:

Oh shut up with this dehumanizing bullshit, will you you creep? You're doing the exact same thing right now that they are, which leads to them being perceived as unemphatic monsters. To be specific, it's all about the limits of human empathy. We don't give a poo poo about people unlike us (or beyond what we can perceive + imagine in concrete terms), because it's beyond our limits of imagination to truly get past Dunbar's number. That being said, I can concede that rich people tend to have much more limited imaginations than most, probably because they have a smaller pool of people they can truly relate to and due to their more sheltered lives.

if it makes you feel any better, I'd settle for all rich people being sent to the gulag instead of immediate death! Maybe then they'll have the opportunity to meet some new people and learn how to feel empathy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lmao at that goon having the vapors because the word guillotine was uttered

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
A simple system where each week the world's richest person is given 7 days to renounce all their worldly possessions is also acceptable

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

quote:

Kelly Blake* is painfully aware of the horrible odds. A single Mormon in her late thirties, Blake is a reporter for a Salt Lake City television station. When Blake attends singles events for Mormons, she said there are often two women for every one man. As a result, Blake rarely meets suitable men in these settings and often winds up spending most of her time chatting with other women. “I’ll go on a [Mormon] singles cruise and come away with no dates but all these incredible new girlfriends,” Blake 
told me.

:smith:

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Panfilo posted:

:psyduck: With their income, why the hell do they still have outstanding student loans or car payments? Childcare costs also seem bizarrely high (yes I know childcare is expensive but not THAT expensive, do they have a live in nanny that also cooks and cleans 24/7?

A lot of people just lease their cars constantly. You could easily spend far more than that on two 'nice' cars. Also, if you live in an area where you're bringing in that kind of money, odds are daycare is going to be pretty expensive. Easily 30k a year for two young children. Maybe $42k for at least a daytime nanny/cook/cleaner is a good deal.

If you have two people making 250k a year each, they're probably not thinking they are tapped out as far as income growth. When you're getting massive raises every year it's pretty easy to think any expense today will be made up for in the near future. Paying a ton of money for services that let you maximize the time you can spend focused on your career instead of doing grocery runs or taking care of every day to day need, it's pretty easy to rationalize all that spending.

FAGGY CLAUSE fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 13, 2018

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Eat the rich is a fine sentiment but it also makes consideration of realistic actions more difficult and of course makes you look like a loon to the normies

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Pick posted:

Pssst.... compared to much of the world, you are rich
I need expensive medication that I could never afford without my parents and live in constant fear of ending up homeless and unmedicated but you're right, Pick, I'm #justblessed and should never complain about economic insecurity, you've opened my eyes.

EDIT: 'it's worse somewhere else' as a way to dismiss people when you don't know if they're in a situation where government cuts could leave them literally starving of freezing to death is a super lovely tactic. Nobody should be in a position where their very basic needs to live aren't being met and just because someone has a computer or smartphone in the United States doesn't mean you can assume they're not poor and not barely scraping by, because there's a lot of circumstances artificially jacking up cost of living. I am fortunately not dying right now due to familial support but if I didn't have that I probably would be dead by now.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 13, 2018

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

PetraCore posted:

I need expensive medication that I could never afford without my parents and live in constant fear of ending up homeless and unmedicated but you're right, Pick, I'm #justblessed and should never complain about economic insecurity, you've opened my eyes.

Pick hates herself for being a bad person and takes it out on others. Do not feel bad.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PetraCore posted:

sounds rough, have you considered a sabbatical? You could fly coach if budget is an issue. A few years off will perk you up!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

CheesyDog posted:

sounds rough, have you considered a sabbatical? You could fly coach if budget is an issue. A few years off will perk you up!
Maybe I should spend 8 months in Bali!

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

CheesyDog posted:

:ohdear: don't fly coach it is apparently worse than an attempted sexual assaults according to the author of the article :ohdear:

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Eat the rich is a fine sentiment but it also makes consideration of realistic actions more difficult and of course makes you look like a loon to the normies

Eat the normies.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Pick posted:

Pssst.... compared to much of the world, you are rich

why do dullards ever think this is a relevant point? you ain't 1% dipshit get out of the way

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Dudes are born into Mormonism, get raised in the church, encounter the de facto requirement to be a missionary in sometimes modern foreign places sometimes buttfuck nowhere, and turn into atheists

This means that the dating scene for young Mormons is heavily filled with women, for which there is no such requirement. So things happen

http://time.com/dateonomics/

this was a pro read, thx

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

bloom posted:

Eat the normies.

The poorcel uprising is coming! Rich chads will get theirs

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
No study in psychology should ever be taken seriously, including the one about rich people having less empathy. I’m serious. 99% of psychology studies are trash.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think my main take away from this thread is that I should convert to Mormonism and marry all of their single 30 year old women.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

The poorcel uprising is coming! Rich chads will get theirs
if I was a rich chad

all day long I'd daddy daddy cum

well I kinda lost the thread here but work with me

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CrazyLoon posted:

That being said, I can concede that rich people tend to have much more limited imaginations than most, probably because they have a smaller pool of people they can truly relate to and due to their more sheltered lives.

I think it runs both ways. I don't think lower middle class and below people have a good grasp on what it's like to be upper middle class at all.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
it would be kismet for incels to find god through mormon poon

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

The Dennis System posted:

No study in psychology should ever be taken seriously, including the one about rich people having less empathy. I’m serious. 99% of psychology studies are trash.

Hmm... sounds like you’re protecting the landowner class. Look out boys, we’ve got a class traitor over here

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It’s more that equal distribution of all work and resources on earth almost certainly means you get less. yes you. That’s why these movements, when sincere, fall apart

Unless you’re letting people live on your couch for free? Eat your pockey?

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nirvikalpa posted:

I think it runs both ways. I don't think lower middle class and below people have a good grasp on what it's like to be upper middle class at all.

uh pretty easy?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Pick posted:

It’s more that equal distribution of all work and resources on earth almost certainly means you get less. yes you. That’s why these movements, when sincere, fall apart

I think we can distribute things so people are not starving and that doing so is a good and ethical thing even if I personally get to eat steak less often.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
What if it compromises your supply of anti crazy pills? Would you be okay giving those up?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Panfilo posted:

What if it compromises your supply of anti crazy pills? Would you be okay giving those up?
No.

naem
May 29, 2011

Nirvikalpa posted:

Having been a starving student and then struggling for a couple years during the recession to make ends meet, when I broke past somewhere around $60k for the first time I remember looking around confused like "wait, I have what I need, and then some?? Wait what is happening" Like a baby turtle sticking its head out of its shell and seeing the sun for the first time.

I think the next level that happens is around $100k where you have what you need, and then some, and then like another $20k. That's where people get in trouble because it feels like infinite money when you're not used to it and they start spending it all.

Whereas someone from a wealthy background would be like "$100k well, I can eat on that, and pay rent, drive a reliable car, and maybe save some money, but I'd better marry well"

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

naem posted:

Having been a starving student and then struggling for a couple years during the recession to make ends meet, when I broke past somewhere around $60k for the first time I remember looking around confused like "wait, I have what I need, and then some?? Wait what is happening" Like a baby turtle sticking its head out of its shell and seeing the sun for the first time.

I think the next level that happens is around $100k where you have what you need, and then some, and then like another $20k. That's where people get in trouble because it feels like infinite money when you're not used to it and they start spending it all.

Whereas someone from a wealthy background would be like "$100k well, I can eat on that, and pay rent, drive a reliable car, and maybe save some money, but I'd better marry well"

I'm thinking of working class people who don't have a college education. Of course people who move up or down the socialeconomic ladder are going to know more than people who stay put.

My parents are upper middle class, but if I stayed in my current metropolitan area I figure I could get by on $60k just fine even if I was single. Do you not know anyone from a wealthy background?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
What constitutes lower upper class?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Pick posted:

Can join the country club but drinks aren’t free?

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

I feel like people's definition of wealthy is really inconsistent here. Probably because a lot of people here are also from upper middle class families who want to obfuscate their backgrounds.

I think upper class has to do a lot with inherited wealth or social status.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Right, because I think I’d probably be considered lowest upper class

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Pick posted:

Right, because I think I’d probably be considered lowest upper class
It's probably true, the amount of wealth some people have are absolutely insane so I think you can be considered rich by any reasonable pleb measure and still not crack that.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Upper class really needs its own commonly accepted divide with the hyper rich, as familiar as the notion of low and middle. Low and middle have more in common than the $5mil with the $100bil

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Let’s just eat the people on Oxfam’s “the 8 people who Own half the world’s wealth” and we can reevaluate.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pick posted:

"I just want people to have free healthcare, honey."

Seriously. It's not about some utopic equality of global outcome, it's about putting in some common sense progressive taxation and cutting the parasitical finance capitalist middlemen out of the market entirely and letting them starve on the streets.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

P sure Pick doesn't want disabled people to die bc they're poor, tho. Picks cool imo.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

She's an icepick.

naem
May 29, 2011

Nirvikalpa posted:

Do you not know anyone from a wealthy background?

I live in the Bay Area, there is a LOT of money here lol. After serving in the military to pay for college I am painfully aware of how middle I am despite my best efforts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I thought the upper class / hyper rich divide was 1-5% with 1 being the ultimate.

In summation, Bill Gates must die.

• Locked thread