Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Captain Svensson of the Some Assembly Required reporting for duty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pinchofginger
Nov 7, 2009
Fallen Rib
Captain Pinchofginger registering the vessel name Newton's Law Enforcement with the proper bureau, in triplicate.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Captain/Commander/Whatever Neophyte is ready to cleanse space down to its pores in the good ship Hostile Makeover!

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Meanwhile, Commander Serpentis was busy not reading the horde of printouts rolling out of his own Nanotrasen as he attempted to disentangle himself from the sad, sorry remnants of the still he'd rigged up in his quarters. Of all the things to forget to secure before a jump, this was the most volatile. ...not most valuable, admittedly, but he'd taken measures to hide the 'filth' somewhere inside a bulkhead since the incident with the corporate commissariat visit.

Realizing that his machine was now flashing the "response needed about 10 minutes ago" light, he kicked off the remnants of the mash tun piping wrapped around his foot and quickly started scribbling mostly-decipherable notes back onto the printouts and feeding them back in...

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Plan B:
Quick Rundown:
1. FF This Side Up approaches debris field with active sensors. SF Manatee trails a fair distance behind running silent. Agreed
2. This Side Up attempts to locate any escape pods and survivors. If present, retrieve and render any necessary aid. Would have expected pod pings by now if they existed, but agreed in principle
3. This Side Up attempts to locate and retrieve the ship's log, black box, and any other data. An EVA party will be necessary. Agreed in full. As corporations have not issued specific objection, I consider active decryption of black box immediate primary and any other data as secondary priority once on-board - objections?
4. SF Manatee provides overwatch & observation with passive sensors. In the unlikely event that something happens to This Side Up, the Manatee will summon reinforcements and render assistance if possible. See Plan Mod. section.

Plan Modifications:
If necessary, an additional frigate may be dispatched alongside This Side Up to assist in recovery efforts. Understand that plan is for minimum expenditure for needed obj. completion but still suggest +1 frigate flying close near Manatee as protection in case of unexpected emergency as principle if my vessel incapable of supporting, with option of backup to This Side Up as needed per point 4

Shoving the last chit back into the scanner and hitting "send", the Commander slumped against the wall of his quarters and listening to the crinkling of broken glass as he breathed, until one last chit popped out for him to read.

Radio Free Kobold posted:

"The Ptolemy finally realized it's dream of becoming a shipwreck. Let's treat this like a normal search & rescue operation. By the book, people."

"...and he couldn't have said that first?"

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

Captain Damanation of the good ship Icarus reporting in! I don't get why everyone laughed when I got my ships name though...

I am excited to participate in a thread for the first time! I'm sure it will go well, right?

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
Captain Manifunk sits idly back down the gravity well on Terra, awaiting deployment of the I Can't Believe I Ate The Whole Thing

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017

quote:

Plan B

I'm willing to revise operational doctrine to this proposal as we aren't necessarily going on a full combat footing. I put my support behild Serpentis' revisions to the proposal.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Decision time

Looks like we've got two main plans, with a variation on the second.

Plan 1, Drag Hector Behind the Chariot: Leave the Thermodynamics be Damned and the Terminal Velocity to picket the jump point, detach the Scout Ship Manatee to stealthily investigate the wreckage, and the rest of the fleet will take an indirect course to the wreck. Targets will be given the opportunity to surrender or flee, but engaged if they refuse.

Plan 2a, Minimum Required Effort: Send the This Way Up in with active sensors to see what happens. The Manatee will follow it stealthily to capture excellent footage if it gets blown up provide support. All other ships remain on the jump point.
Plan 2b, Slightly more than Minimum Required Effort: As 2a, but send an additional frigate as well.

Go ahead and vote on your plan of choice. If one plan gets overwhelming support I'll judge it the winner early, otherwise I'll let the vote go for 24 hours. If 2a and 2b split the vote but have more combined than 1, I may decide to do a runoff.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 9, 2018

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Commodore Valkav, upon considering the options and the amount of effort involved in each, throws his support behind plan 1.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 9, 2018

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
I vote Plan 1, as we all know sea cows are the oceans mightiest predator and need fear nothing!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Plan 1

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
I admittedly would vote Plan 1 because I dislike the idea of doing something by bare minimums. And totally not because said minimum bare plan involves my ship off on its own investigating the total-not-a-trap...

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Put me down as Mojangles, commanding the good ship Lazer Yam

E: 2b

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 9, 2018

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I didn't sign up for this mission to survive, Plan 1!

v In our moment of triumph???

megane fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 9, 2018

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I vote we surrender

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Cadet Frankenfreak standing by to fill any unfortunate vacancies!

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Bonus vote: feed Jack to whatever's on the Ptolemy :v:

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

I vote for Plan 1. There's no reason not to use all avaible resources unless we think will be attack at the jump point right?

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
Plan 1

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Plan 1, unless this is the kinda game to make you pay for all that fuel, in which case Plan 2b sounds alright.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
2b

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017
As the initial drafter of Plan 1, so I must cast my vote.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Serpentis posted:

Bonus vote: feed Jack to whatever's on the Ptolemy :v:

No

but seriously Plan 1

Tactical_Torpedo
Feb 26, 2017

When all else fails?

FIRE EVERYTHING!

Then bravely run away.
Grimey Drawer
Cast my vote for Plan 1. Watch this be an attempt to breach the JP that would require the entire TG to repel. This will go perfectly.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

That makes it 10 to 2, so I'm going to go ahead with Plan 1

Following plan Drag Hector Behind the Chariot, the squadrons reorganize into 3 groups. The SF Manatee heads for the wreck and most of the fleet's combat ships set course for a point in the outer system before turning inwards towards the same target.

The Manatee manages to quietly approach the wreckage, though as it gets within ten million kilometers it picks up the drive plumes from at least two ships. They're weak, but that doesn't mean much as the ships don't appear to be moving at full speed, just loitering around the wreck.

The Manatee closes the distance to eight million kilometers without detecting any other signatures. Getting closer would be pushing its stealth systems to their limits, and its main goal is already accomplished. Since 8 mkm is well within active sensor range of the fleet's Nasu no Yoichi class destroyers, Commander Anti decides it would be wise to withdraw the Manatee towards the stellar north before the Main squadron announces its presence with active sensors.

Several minutes into the retreat, proximity alerts scream on the bridge of the Manatee as it detects two more ships at short range. They appear to be circling the wreck in a long, slow orbit, and based on the weak thermal signatures either possess stealth drives similar to the Manatee herself or are even smaller than she is. Either way, it seems likely that they may be scout ships being used to picket the wreck; the Manatee probably narrowly missed them on the way in.

The Manatee immediately cuts her drive and does her best to act like a hole in space lest she be discovered. The contacts continue on their way and soon vanish on even the scout corvette's advanced passive sensors; if they were able to spot the Manatee, they didn't show any signs of it.

Commander Anti waits for several nail biting more minutes before carefully resuming movement. This time there's no sign of further contacts as the frigate moves out of range.

Continuing with the plan, the Main Squadron moves into sensor range of the wreck. Thanks to the information from the Manatee, they're able to time their approach to avoid the suspected picket ships. At a range of 30 million kilometers from the wreck, the squadron activates shields and the DDG Avenger activates her active sensor.

It appears the Manatee's info wasn't complete, as the active sensor shows an additional pair of ships surrounding the wreck, smaller than the first pair. Two appear to be roughly the size of frigates, while the other pair are slightly larger than the squadron's destroyers. Their tonnage and design doesn't match any known ship, though several of the megacorps do maintain their own private shipyards.

The Avenger continues with the plan, sending out open radio signals demanding the ships surrender. The ships don't respond for over a minute, then they begin moving, rapidly accelerating until they're approaching the Main Squadron at over 5000 km/s. They continue to ignore all orders to halt and surrender.

CIC aboard the Aleksander report a concerning bit of data, or rather the lack of one: based on the speed the Manatee observed the suspected picket ships at, they should still be in range of the fleet's active sensors, but the Avenger reports detecting nothing besides the ships at the wreck.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
We must engage these ships in brutal, costly combat.

Some Gooncaptains will not survive. This is to be expected and embraced.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Cathode Raymond posted:

If we take fewer than six losses I will be disappointed.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Commodore Valkav sips on fine martian tea, watching the situation unfold with some concern. Then, frowning, they place down their saucer and open the com line.

"Aleksander to fleet. This is commodore Valkav speaking: bogeys in acceleration gone dark, ships at wreck static, time for a POA, I should think."

NewMars fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 10, 2018

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Cathode Raymond posted:

The unknown vessels have made their intentions clear. The Main Squadron brings all engines online and meets their approach head on.

A few minutes later, as the distance begins to close, the unknown vessels seem to have a change of heart and begin to vector away from the fleet until they're heading in the direction of stellar west and away from the squadron. They make no move to interfere with the squadron's approach, though when they reach the wreck and stop the unknown contacts come to a halt as well, maintaining the distance to the squadron.

The Ptolemy is a wreck, which the scars of multiple missile detonations visible across its hull; judging by the extent of the twisted and melted outer hull, they appear to have mounted warheads more powerful than the fleet's own light missiles, and the damage looks closer to that left by the heavy missiles carried by the fleet's cruisers. Perhaps even more troubling, several of the ships' lifepods appear to have been launched, but none are visible in the surrounding space.

Though not really equipped for boarding, the Aleksander is able to come close enough for several marines to make the crossing. They report the ship empty of both atmosphere and bodies, and there are signs that someone has been dismantling ship systems. They're able to download some data from the ship's computers, though being a corporate ship it's of course heavily encrypted and will take time to analyze.

While the boarding party is in the process of returning, the sensors on the Avenger register a new contact, consistent with the presumed scout ships the Manatee reported. The destroyer's sensors are having trouble locking onto it because of it's small size, estimated at 2150 tons, which is why they're only now seeing it when it's nearly in missile range.

It's on a direct heading for the fleet, approaching faster than even a frigate, and its vector leads straight back towards the group of larger ships. Like the other ships, it completely ignores any transmissions.

Next update probably tomorrow. If you want a response other than "Shoot it!" try to let me know by then.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 10, 2018

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Surveying the inconsistent reactions of the unknown blips was one thing in the mind of Commodore Valkav. But, when the twisting wreckage of the Ptolemy and it's battle-scared, partially-dissected hull is analysed, they are forced to put away their tea once again and put all focus on their command. When the new vessel drops in at high speed, they take up the comms once again.

"Aleksander to fleet: I think it may be time for a general withdrawal, maybe even spooling out with the jump drives: not only are these things like ghosts, but the missile damage on the Ptolemy is rather intimidating. Overall, I feel that first contact is rather above our paygrade. We have what we came for and more besides. What say you?"

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Talking to them hasn't done anything, and outfighting an unknown enemy is always iffy. Let's see if we can outrun them.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Clomping around the deck with his obviously human legs, Chris Salid nodded in acknowledgement,before a thought entered his mind: "Are all humans cowards?"

"We need to engage them now." He uttered, with no noticeable mechanical modulation effect to his voice at all. "If nothing else, to buy time for the Aleksander to escape with the data."

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Looking to be Captain Leroy Kenny of the Starship Redshirt.

And agree with plan for withdraw. We accomplished our mission, and we're not setup for a firefight or deployed.

wedgekree fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 10, 2018

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
May the Great Spinal Laser in the sky shine down upon us and grant us swift, decisive victory against our foes. Amen.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
How fast are those new vessels? Can we even outrun them?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Zanzibar Ham posted:

If we don't have a real idea what they are, I'm not sure we have enough info on them to make presumptions. Mayb do full sensor scans on them on our way out? And screen our damaged ship.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Zanzibar Ham posted:

The new contact is moving at 6,697 km/s; its max speed might be faster than that but it's certainly not slower. The fleet's frigates have a max speed of 6,400 km/s and the destroyers are limited to 5,714 km/s. So eventually it would catch you, unless you manage to lose it.

wedgekree posted:

If we don't have a real idea what they are, I'm not sure we have enough info on them to make presumptions. Mayb do full sensor scans on them on our way out? And screen our damaged ship.

The squadron doesn't have any damaged ships (yet).

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Bremen posted:

The squadron doesn't have any damaged ships (yet).

Gah, I had a complete brain aneurism and read the Ptolmey as being in our squadron. Ignore my comments (as you all should be doing anyways)

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Heck yeah another Aurora thread! Sign my butt up as an economic mini-

Bremen posted:

Rather than trying to make a large scale game covering an entire interstellar civilization, I'm going to try something on a smaller scale. Fleets of goon lead warships fighting (and dying) in the cold depths of space, somewhat inspired by Yooper's excellent Strike Command LP.

Ah, okay! Captain Jad Jadderson reporting for duty aboard the Diminishing Marginal Utility.

Also I second the vote to do a expeditious tactical movement back to the jump point!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Withdraw for the JP, keep actives on and spin around when transient launches are detected.

Nothing can possibly go wrong now!