Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Rai Rai Kyonshis: Baby Kyonshi is actually a Power Pad game where you play as a baby hopping vampire. The bad ending shows a Taoist priest about to kill you.

supposedly this was never made because the marketing people said it wouldn't sell because they didn't have a recognizable character they could put on the cover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

In Training posted:

It's called Final Fantasy XIV

Has there ever been a game before or since where they threw the whole thing out a year in and started over? It’s still pretty amazing to me how committed they were to making it work

I loved all the kain games (including nosgoth) but what got made of this game looked like rear end

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

Has there ever been a game before or since where they threw the whole thing out a year in and started over? It’s still pretty amazing to me how committed they were to making it work

I loved all the kain games (including nosgoth) but what got made of this game looked like rear end

I think star wars galaxies did a huge overhaul halfway through its run that was basically a completely different game.

What's extra crazy about ffxiv is it completely shut down and apologized before coming back.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

P-Mack posted:

I think star wars galaxies did a huge overhaul halfway through its run that was basically a completely different game.

What's extra crazy about ffxiv is it completely shut down and apologized before coming back.
Elder Scrolls Online did something similar, it's pretty good now.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

the world ending cutscene is sick, too

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

diablo 3 did this but maybe not to the same extent , idk

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Resident Evil 4 went through a few iterations I think. You can see footage of one that had the old camera system and tank controls that seemed more like supernatural horror.

Yeah Dead Sun looked bad but I would have played it anyway. No way they could have kept going with Kain-Raziel stuff after Tony Jay died

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

b_d posted:

diablo 3 did this but maybe not to the same extent , idk

They didn’t change anything fundamentally about Diablo 3, actually. They just made it easier and added an endless dungeon crawl “endgame”.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They removed the real money auction house before they were investigated by international agencies for fraud.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I forgot about that because I played HC which had no money AH, like a dumbass.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
first it DIDN'T happen,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfJgZI9C2nk

and then it did

https://archive.org/download/simcity-nes/simcity_nes_archive_1.0.zip

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

SNES Sim City was fun back before the internet, but once Gamefaqs unraveled how it actually worked, it kind of lost its appeal, unfortunately

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

SNES Sim City was fun back before the internet, but once Gamefaqs unraveled how it actually worked, it kind of lost its appeal, unfortunately

You mean the infinite money trick? Or something else? I heard it's actually impossible to get a megaopolis or whatever due to some glitch.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

My dad got the Mario Statue and he knew the epic strats.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I heard it's actually impossible to get a megaopolis or whatever due to some glitch.

It's not impossible but you have to have to play really, really weirdly, like building a bunch of stuff and then immediately bulldozing it. That era's Sim games required you to know weird stuff like Actraiser's "Make sure you build as few paths that create bridges as possible because for some reason, bridges keep you from reaching max population."

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

The weird bulldozing stuff is only necessary for super high populations (1 million+). You do need to build a certain way to get the 500k for megalopolis though.

The bug uncle at nintendo is talking about happens when you load a save: electric connections get loaded last so the game runs for several minutes with no power causing a bunch of people to leave temporarily.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Frenz posted:

The weird bulldozing stuff is only necessary for super high populations (1 million+). You do need to build a certain way to get the 500k for megalopolis though.

The bug uncle at nintendo is talking about happens when you load a save: electric connections get loaded last so the game runs for several minutes with no power causing a bunch of people to leave temporarily.

Thank you. Let's start a Sim themed charity marathon.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Sim City SNES title music is awesome.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Wormskull posted:

Thank you. Let's start a Sim themed charity marathon.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

In Training posted:

The Sim City SNES title music is awesome.

I think all of the Sim City SNES music is awesome

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

mycophobia posted:

I think all of the Sim City SNES music is awesome

Yea.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
yeah the snes sim city soundtrack is easily up there as one of my favorites. the first village theme right from the get-go is the best

I read the woman who composed it said she made different soundtracks for each different version of the game which amazed me because I figured why compose more than you have to; she's a genius and also did the SNES mario kart music

My other favorite snes sim city thing is when people figured out a god-mode code 20 years after it came out: https://forum.starmen.net/forum/General/BFG/Crazy-Glitched-Sim-City-Cart/first

it's a really fun thread to read and is only like 2 pages but if you want the jist of it; this guy buys a used SNES sim city that had some never-before-known god mode enabled in the game (even when starting a fresh new save file), presumably from one of the programmers of the game. People in the thread figure out what the code is from his ROM/SRAM

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
she also did pilotwings and the mario all-stars arrangements, the latter of which is unusual because it sucskl

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

yeah the snes sim city soundtrack is easily up there as one of my favorites. the first village theme right from the get-go is the best

I read the woman who composed it said she made different soundtracks for each different version of the game which amazed me because I figured why compose more than you have to; she's a genius and also did the SNES mario kart music

its probably because she takes pride in her work and wanted a soundtrack that was suited to the unique hardware of each platform op

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

sim city is already in god mod. you can create buildings from nothing, make parks rise out of the land, or hurl natural disasters at your cities, even up to a big bowse3r attack.... as long as you don;t cut back on funding.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mycophobia posted:

she also did pilotwings and the mario all-stars arrangements, the latter of which is unusual because it sucskl

I think most of the All-Stars arrangements are good tbh

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

it's really hard to upgrade chiptunes and not make them sound like muzak IMO

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I patched in the all stars music to the gba Mario 3 but unfortunately there is no patch to stop Charles martinet from saying ‘ooh just what I needed’ alas

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The All-Stars version of the main SMB2 overworld theme is win imo.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The All-Stars version of the main SMB2 overworld theme is win imo.

i just listened to them both and the NES one sounds better. sorry.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I only like the snes mario 2 music because it goes along nicely with the enemy-dying sound effect of BaRraWaaap

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Bicyclops posted:

It's not impossible but you have to have to play really, really weirdly, like building a bunch of stuff and then immediately bulldozing it. That era's Sim games required you to know weird stuff like Actraiser's "Make sure you build as few paths that create bridges as possible because for some reason, bridges keep you from reaching max population."

The fact that no one has made an Actraiser-style game in 28+ years now is pretty amazing given how awesome the game is and how many people love it. I read an interview somewhere that said the suggestion to make Actraiser 2 a side-scrolling only game came from a higher-up in the American branch of Enix at the time and in retrospect he now knows it was a completely terrible idea. I respect that he knows he made a mistake, but he should probably be castrated as well as an appropriate punishment because Actraiser 2 blows.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

actraiser 2 definitely sucks and the real sequel to actraiser is Soul Blazer IMO.

i'm not really sure what the spiritual successor is to what actraiser was trying to do, though. minecraft? the town builder in fallout 4? spore? none of those feel like they're the same thing, really.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I guess Dragon Quest Builders is the closest thing, basically Minecrafting the formula a bit, but it still has the mechanics of talking to the townsfolks and trying to build stuff up to improve the city.

Still not quite Actraiser. I'm not even sure why the Actraiser SIM parts are so fun, there's literally no stakes and you can't die in it. Maybe that's why it's fun, you just get to dick around, shoot demons with arrows, and help our your followers. Then you can create earthquakes and kill them all to level up more efficiently.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

actraiser 2 definitely sucks and the real sequel to actraiser is Soul Blazer IMO.

i'm not really sure what the spiritual successor is to what actraiser was trying to do, though. minecraft? the town builder in fallout 4? spore? none of those feel like they're the same thing, really.

dark cloud is pretty close, that's not really a modern example at this point tho. There's lots of rpgs with various townbuilding mechanics built in to varying levels, but none with the actiony arcadey take that actraiser had that i can think of.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
This thread made me go back and try Actraiser for the first time (I'd obviously been aware of it but never actually played it and Soul Blazer is one of my favorite SNES era games) and holy poo poo what a wonderfully weird hosed up game. I'm surprised the formula hasn't been brought back by some indie steam workshop 90s kid.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

American McGay posted:

This thread made me go back and try Actraiser for the first time (I'd obviously been aware of it but never actually played it and Soul Blazer is one of my favorite SNES era games) and holy poo poo what a wonderfully weird hosed up game. I'm surprised the formula hasn't been brought back by some indie steam workshop 90s kid.

it was; it's named Aztez and its loving awful

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

American McGay posted:

The Quintet games are all delightfully weird. Illusion of Gaia is basically a sequel to Soul Blazer and Terranigma is basically a sequel to IoG. Illusion owns, but I'm saving Terranigma, it's like that book you keep on the shelf "for a rainy day"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Illusion of Gaia is one of my favorite games of all time. I can't believe Quintent only made like four games ever

The person who scored illusion of Gaia never scored a game before that and never worked on the game after that wtf