Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Awful Summer Jam 2018

Join the Discord!

July 6th - July 31st
Download the logo files here

Unnecessary Sequels

A second entry that nobody wants or asked for.

This is a more open theme than past jams, so you'll get extra kudos from judges for liberally slathering your jam game with a thick coating of the theme. Get it in all those nooks and cranies.

Bonus idea: Produce a sequel to your own past jam game or someone else's (Remember to ask permission first!) If this is your first time, no sweat! There's a lot to this theme, so let your creativity fly.

Jam is hosted on itch this year while the Awful Jams site is under construction.
https://itch.io/jam/awful-summer-jam-2018

Follow us on Twitter for updates.
Watch past post-jam shows!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m19TWgSltpc

It's the 4th Annual Awful Summer Jam, where we sit around for a month hanging out in the Discord and making rad video games.

Never made a game before? Who cares, come make one. Join a team, go solo, whatever you want. There's plenty of smart people in the Discord happy to give you a hand, come say "Hello!".

At the end of the jam our team of professionally trained judges will honestly review your games and pick out category winners!

Win a category for brownie points and a sensible prize.

Rules:

1. Don't be a jerk
2. No more than 3 people to a team*
3. Do not submit minimal effort entries, reskins, or whole-sale asset flips
4. Make an attempt to include the theme
5. 500mb game size limit

* Contributors that only produce audio files for your game DO NOT count toward your team member limit (IE: Musicians, Voice Actors, Yodelers)

https://twitter.com/awfuljams/status/1005502116876771328

Calipark fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jul 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
:stoked: Ready to try again; last few times I've been on The Wall but I will not surrender.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I've always wanted to do this, and this year seems like the one!

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I'm excited to be back on the wall.

I might try something cute in Unreal this time though.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

:swoon: Last time was fantastic, can't wait to see what people come up with!

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Alright, I'm excited to try this.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Really looking forward to this year's jam. Just one whole month of fun work and a few weeks after talking to everyone about their games and trying them out. Its pure feelgood stuff.

Also; Games for Grandma

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Shoehead posted:

Also; Games for Grandma

GAMES FOR GRANDMA GAMES FOR GRANDMA GAMES FOR GRANDMA GAMES FOR GRANDMA GAMES FOR GRANDMA

or dancing lizards theme that was dope too

foonykins
Jun 15, 2010

stop with the small talk

I just started putzing around with Unity last week and I've been pulling my hair out trying to put my own spin on the roll-a-ball tutorial thing but if I end up with a base understanding I might throw my hat in the ring cause this seems super fun

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

WOOOOOO SUMMER JAM :byob1: :byob1: :byob1:

If anyone is looking to form a team shoot me a pm or email aidanaidan@gmail.com or twitter @aidanwaitecomma. I am a developer and use Unity. You can see my "games" on my itch page.

Edit: Looks like TheOrange (also a dev) is in, so 1 more person to round out the roster would be great! Would be cool to have someone to do art. Also would be happy with a 3rd developer to decrease our chances of ending up on the wall.

awesomeolion fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 12, 2018

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

awesomeolion posted:

WOOOOOO SUMMER JAM :byob1: :byob1: :byob1:

If anyone is looking to form a team shoot me a pm or email aidanaidan@gmail.com or twitter @aidanwaitecomma. I am a developer and use Unity. You can see my "games" on my itch page.

Edit: Looks like TheOrange (also a dev) is in, so 1 more person to round out the roster would be great! Would be cool to have someone to do art. Also would be happy with a 3rd developer to decrease our chances of ending up on the wall.

Wow, I didn't know you worked on Crazy Motorcade!!
(you linked to the dashboard, which only showed me my games)

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
I'm more of a Unity programmer, I got a friend who is still debating if they wanna enter solo or be more art-focused in a group; but they said they'd be ok if I feel I really need to slide in with another pair of people.

I made Smash Em Randal for last year's summer jam, but I felt that I kind of struggled as a solo entrant. I would really like to avoid that by finding one or two other people to work with this time around.

You can find me on the Awful Jam discord and DM me from there

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

So the theme is revenge, maybe. No wait, sequels?
Oh god, what will it be!? :f5:

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Myron posted:

So the theme is revenge, maybe. No wait, sequels?
Oh god, what will it be!? :f5:

half life 3 announced

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

ALFbrot posted:

Wow, I didn't know you worked on Crazy Motorcade!!
(you linked to the dashboard, which only showed me my games)

Lol whoops, fixed. Thanks for letting me know!

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

This lines up with a break in my studies perfectly so I'm totally going to try and fill that with making game!

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

It’s time

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Awful Jams: The Quickening

megane
Jun 20, 2008

dehumanize yourself and face to gamedev

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I'm starting to feel the jam hype build inside me.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
gonna give it a shot!

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

The annual voluntary crunch is upon us

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007
I've not had time to get involved in this in the last few years (last time was SA Gamedev Challenge X). Hoping to be able to make time this time round.

I'm a programmer. Would be interested in working with Godot Engine, but have previous experience with Unity, Phaser, and HaxeFlixel. Previous games I've made can be seen on itch. If anyone who's art/audio/story focused wants to work together get in touch :)

BluJay
Oct 1, 2004

I've got my eye on the finish line
I wanna make a dumb game this July. I'm a designer/scripter, mostly work in Unreal. I haven't done an awful jam yet, but I have lots of experience professionally. Like a lot of other people here, I'm not an artist, so any artists who might want to join me, PM me and let's make something stupid.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
Havn't done a jam in awhile, gonna do this one. UE4 stuff.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I'm down for this. Done a few jams, but this would be my first SA one.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I can do voice sounds, if you need anyone with an awful idiot mouth to say dumbass words and poo poo I am your man

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
i'm going to try and solo a UE4 game this time around because i have no concept of technical debt :shepface:

Cyberwasted
Mar 28, 2005
Internet Proctologist
I can do some WICKED GFX, from illustration to UI if anyone is interested. I also can compose music, reach me: ale.stresser@gmail.com .

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

Aspiring sound designer and audio implementer/scripter. Got a 1yr soundsnap account that I need I need to justify purchasing.

I’ve been learning how to implement audio using UE4’s blueprints. If you’re looking to use UE4, hit me up at tactac160@hotmail.com.

EDIT: I’m not a composer so I can’t help anyone there.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Never made a game or followed a game jam. Thought it was high time I'd follow one along!

If there was no team size limit It'd be cool to be of questionable value to part of a team to see what it's all about from that side of the looking glass. But in who knows what regard? Perhaps yodelling.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
I will definitely finish this year.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I'm in as usual. This time I (probably) won't include fake unlockables/hentai games to make people go crazy. Probably fewer nazi dinosaurs too but no promises.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Gonna get in on this as an excuse to learn Godot Engine and hopefully get a little better at programmer art, it's good timing for me as my only obligation during the jam will be one summer class.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

I bought some unity assets I'd like to try out. Think I might give this a go again.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

hello I have never done game dev before but I’m a reasonably experienced .net dev and would like to do a thing that’s different from my day-to-day. If someone wants me on their team I can be PMed here or gmailed using saintevanechoes and the domain bits

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
The Discord now has a "looking for team" channel for stragglers to find teams. Check it out!

Join the Discord!

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

This'll be an interesting experiment in collaboration and time management for me. Working with an old friend who just got into gamedev, and neither of us have much experience with collaborative projects.

Though it's been difficult having no burdens on my schedule last week and this one but expecting to be incredibly busy come July.

Just staring at my components and suppressing the urge to burn my gamedev energy early.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
No real game dev experience beyond like, rpgmaker projects as a kid, small amount of programming experience in a few languages. Kind of want to try something solo for sake of attempting something creative. Are there any good engines/game dev project that are real easy for an amateur to pick up and make something simple with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

good luck everyone have fun make games!!

• Locked thread