Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Zerilan posted:

No real game dev experience beyond like, rpgmaker projects as a kid, small amount of programming experience in a few languages. Kind of want to try something solo for sake of attempting something creative. Are there any good engines/game dev project that are real easy for an amateur to pick up and make something simple with?

I use Clickteam Fusion 2.5 - the free version has a some limitations but it's otherwise geared for beginners (no coding required and all that jazz). It's basically a modern version of Kilk'n'Play/The Games Factory if you've ever used those. There's also Game Maker Studio which I've never used but iirc has both programming and non-programming options - both of these are for more 2D stuff, typically actiony/arcade games but can be used for puzzle stuff.

Twine is probably the easiest to get started with but you're limited to more text based stuff, good for narrative-heavy games. I think some bigger studios use it to prototype or hash out dialogue stuff as well.

Bitsy is quite simple to use but also really more for exploratory/narrative stuff. This and this are some nice examples of things you can do with it.

For 3D stuff there's always of course Unity, Unreal Engine 4 and Godot. Unreal and UE4 are paid/licenced but with free versions, and Godot is open source. UE4 and Godot have node editors if you don't wanna type code directly, and I think Unity has one too (not sure if it's built in though or a plugin)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Zerilan posted:

No real game dev experience beyond like, rpgmaker projects as a kid, small amount of programming experience in a few languages. Kind of want to try something solo for sake of attempting something creative. Are there any good engines/game dev project that are real easy for an amateur to pick up and make something simple with?

Unity might work. It's well documented with tons of tutorials. You can also have a good time just slamming together free stuff off the Asset store while you learn.

Mugmoor
Dec 13, 2006

I had a ruff day at work.
I'm gonna jump in on this. I've been fooling around with Pico-8 a bunch so I'll probably end up using that.

orly
Oct 2, 2005

signed in as z0rly. I have no experience with Unity or anything, more of a custom engine kinda guy, hehe.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
Hell yeah! Time for the month where I have no social life because I'm spending too much time on level design!

Reached out to my teammates from last year so hopefully all 3 of us will be back and NOT try to do a huge, open-world driving game in 4 weeks.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

orly posted:

signed in as z0rly. I have no experience with Unity or anything, more of a custom engine kinda guy, hehe.

same here, my last two awful jam entries were SDL-supported custom engines in C++. now i'm cutting out the engine middle man this time around after getting over a learning curve hill with unreal. if it doesn't work out too well i might go back to rollin' my own engine again for solo games.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I'm joining Dieting Hippo with the art department.

I'll be streaming most of the process on https://www.twitch.tv/chernadraw if you are interested.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Your theme is

Unnecessary Sequels

A second entry that nobody wants or asked for.

This is a more open theme than past jams, so you'll get extra kudos from judges for liberally slathering your jam game with a thick coating of the theme. Get it in all those nooks and cranies.

Bonus idea: Produce a sequel to your own past jam game or someone else's (Remember to ask permission first!) If this is your first time, no sweat! There's a lot to this theme, so let your creativity fly.

Good luck!

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Good luck everyone!

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

JonTerp posted:

Bonus idea: Produce a sequel to your own past jam game or someone else's (Remember to ask permission first!) If this is your first time, no sweat! There's a lot to this theme, so let your creativity fly.

:hai: it's time

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Day one crap:
https://twitter.com/Shoehead_art/status/1015371073733513216

I got up at six am because I knew I'd be in work all day Saturday and kinda...overdid it today

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Starting out with the sketching and color comps of the main character:

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

End of the day and Ive got some level geometry that seems to work, a character that can turn but not move yet, and an endless stream of ideas that are going to overscope this thing to hell and back and probably cripple the whole project.

So pretty much business as usual.

Steampunk_Spoon
May 18, 2009
It's been a while since I've done one of these. My time is kind of limited due to starting a new job, but the desire to make game shall have to overcome.

The thread is not that active though, have most people moved to discord?

Shoehead posted:

Day one crap:
https://twitter.com/Shoehead_art/status/1015371073733513216

I got up at six am because I knew I'd be in work all day Saturday and kinda...overdid it today

Really looking forward to whatever this is going to become!

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
Well, I haven't made a game in forever so let's help a good friend TomR with making theirs, how hard can it be

Just gotta make the spaceship rotate and

Looks good to me! :v:

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Day 1 results

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Steampunk_Spoon posted:

It's been a while since I've done one of these. My time is kind of limited due to starting a new job, but the desire to make game shall have to overcome.

The thread is not that active though, have most people moved to discord?

Really looking forward to whatever this is going to become?

I think a lot of people are on other communication channels yeah, also gamejams are a lot more popular/a thing and I figure a lot of people Know The Drill as it were.

That said I bet things will pick up as people wanna share progress.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Thanks Adobe for loving up Fuse and Mixamo so bad.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lowen SoDium posted:

Thanks Adobe for loving up Fuse and Mixamo so bad.

I see you are working on the Assassin's Creed: Unity sequel with a deep focus on creepy face.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
A note for anyone using Unreal Engine:

Go to Edit -> Plugins

Disable everything under VR, Online Platform, Messaging, and Networking. The VR plug-ins will start Oculus or SteamVR if they are installed on the player's, even if you are not making a VR game. The others will cause Window's firewall permissions to pop up, even if your game doesn't have a multiplayer or network function

Also, disable any other plug in that you are not explicitly using if you want to reduce your build size.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

If anyone's a 3D artist I'm looking for one, animations/rigging optional (i can handle all of this fine but things will be more polished if I can start someone off early while I work on stuff), I need a combo of environmental art and organic stuff, I can work with you on what to knock out. I can also do the whole 3D pipeline myself so no pressure if you can only do one or two things. So far my team is looking like: me, poemdexter, (?? you ??)

I can get by without it but I have some things scoped out that could be done in the mean time. Hunt me down on the discord, I'm Midoski on there.

For examples of previous jam entries I've done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsiAgW4IRsY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg6rLRQPdqc

edit: I posted about it on the itch.io jam thread too https://itch.io/jam/awful-summer-jam-2018/topic/242120/lfgrecruitment-thread

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 7, 2018

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

My two days of jamming have produced.... this:

Time to go play with the dogs and try to decide what sort of, you know, actual game, to make with this cursed thing.

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 8, 2018

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

hailthefish posted:

Time to go play with the dogs and try to decide what sort of, you know, actual game, to make with this cursed thing.

:stare: :five:

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Getting the essentials of RPG-style top-down movement in 8 directions with tiles working in Godot ended up being easier than expected. I figured getting sprites to draw in front or behind each other based on positioning would be difficult but Godot has a whole node called YSort that takes care of that for you.

Next step is probably getting the state machine together to handle animations in four of the directions and differentiate them between the walking and running states.

(Sorry for making the placeholder tiles obnoxious)

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Hello all, I'm a musician and I'd like to compose some music for your game. I have a good deal of experience as a performer and arranger for IRL musicians, but I'm pretty new to production. No knowledge of sound effects, V.O., audio design etc, just a composer looking for a reason to write and practice my Ableton skills. Find me in the Discord channel or send a PM here.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
I will work on a game but only if it's Zybourne Clock

BluJay
Oct 1, 2004

I've got my eye on the finish line

hailthefish posted:

I love this guy.

I also like making games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wBhG293op0

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

hailthefish posted:

I need to know more about this boy

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

CYBEReris posted:

Godot has a whole node called YSort that takes care of that for you.

Thanks for that!

I'd actually implemented my own YSortLayer, the first stab at which messed with the camera logic pretty badly. The second attempt may or may not be identical to their YSort object, but less code is better code.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

hailthefish posted:

Looks like Howard the Duck. I can see no way to work that into the theme, though.

I-H
Dec 24, 2009
Ah! Didn't realize people are posting progress updates, so here's mine from the last two days. I'm making a point and click (probably a puzzle) game with static camera angles.

Day 1:
https://twitter.com/rautaSydan/status/1015374634965983233

Day 2:
https://twitter.com/rautaSydan/status/1016020338415669254

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

Well it's a thing I guess.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

No joke this theme is making the actual dev process way, way easier than I was expecting, even though I'm changing engines from the first game (Game Maker Studio to Godot). I've already got movement, equipment handling, and basic enemy behaviour (aka all of the enemy behaviour from game 1) in. Menus, projectiles, health handling, and drops are all that's left before I start on the actual "sequel" part and have to start considering art assets and game structure.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I've been working on the railroad, all the live-long day.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

design doc

Thermal Anomaly
Jul 1, 2017

by Cyrano4747
When I hear "unnecessary sequel", I think of a movie with a neat, self-contained plot that turns out to be a surprise hit and gets milked for multiple sequels as part of a soulless corporate cash-grab. That's why I'm making a short action-RPG named "The Last Panderling 2" based on the premise that the original game was tragic and bittersweet, and then the sequel walks all of that back to give the consumers exactly what the executives think they want: more panderlings panderlinging it up all over the place. It might be a little ambitious but I plan to have optional co-op in the style of Secret of Mana. Right now our team is just a programmer and a writer/artist, so if there's any music composers looking for a project to join, send me a PM!

Day 3 progress:
* You can now load tile maps made with Tiled, walk around them, and stab monsters
* Maps can be scripted with dialogue events that trigger when a player enters certain regions of the map
* Basic collision detection works but I need to update it so players slide around obstacles
* Both player characters are controlled by the same input and need to be split off to read from different input stream

Demo Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pIdUo70Uw0

Thermal Anomaly fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 9, 2018

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

That is a neat looking demo. I like the dialogue box. Mind if I ask what engine you're using? Or if you built it yourself, what programming language and libraries?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Im having a lot of trouble thinking of what to make... Heres some ideas I liked but decided against, if anyone wants to use them:

Precious 2
Gandhi 2: The Power Battle
Silence of the Lambs Adventure 2 Battle
Plan 10 From Outer Space
Rent 2
Perseinfeld 5
Pay It Forward Tactics Advance
Go Dog Go GO

Id also like to make a Smash Bros-esque game with characters from the previous jams games but I cant really make multiplayer stuff

Thermal Anomaly
Jul 1, 2017

by Cyrano4747

TalkLittle posted:

That is a neat looking demo. I like the dialogue box. Mind if I ask what engine you're using? Or if you built it yourself, what programming language and libraries?

Hey thanks! I built it myself using C#, Monogame, and TiledSharp for reading and parsing Tiled map files. For the first time in a game jam I'm trying to write clean and reusable code so I'd like to release the source code later, although that might be complicated by the store-bought assets I'm using for background tiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

FU the extraterrestrial

• Locked thread