Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

leper khan posted:

AP increases the damage of some skills. If you click on a monster in some windows you can then click on their skills and see the formulas. In general the ones that seem like spell casters use AP (titan, Diablo, ..). Pegasus first skill uses both; others are atk.

The big gotcha is that while Medusa's skills are ATK scaling, almost all of her actual damage comes from the DOTs they inflict and those are AP scaling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dont know if im quite feeling this game. Its simpler than dungeon maker, possibly even simpler than Dungeon defenders? The progress rate seems pretty painful when you can only drag 10 stones out at a time. How can i upgrade that limit?

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Synthbuttrange posted:

Dont know if im quite feeling this game. Its simpler than dungeon maker, possibly even simpler than Dungeon defenders? The progress rate seems pretty painful when you can only drag 10 stones out at a time. How can i upgrade that limit?

Upgrade the "enemies drop more gold" stone upgrade to full and there's another stone upgrade that ups it to 15 per run.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Synthbuttrange posted:

Dont know if im quite feeling this game. It's simpler than dungeon maker, possibly even simpler than Dungeon defenders? The progress rate seems pretty painful when you can only drag 10 stones out at a time. How can i upgrade that limit?

You'll eventually unlock one that ups the limit to 20 and then 30. The next one is to 40 for 25 stones.

I've also got a free full party rez the first time they drop.

I do agree that the progress is set a tad bit low at the start though.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
All legit criticisms and that’s where I was too. But what got me is that it’s simple so I don’t have to stress too hard, but you continually discover new effective combinations. Its not really a I found the perfect build and I will keep playing that way. Sometimes you don’t get a skill or character you want and you end up discovering a way cooler combination. And then you think about fully building around that combination and make changes in your next run. Totally understand if that’s not peoples jam though and I don’t really understand why I am liking this. Maybe the simple is refreshing to me after Defense and Maker got so dense.

Just as an example, I had been always building Kraken with Orb/Brinicle, but then got forced into having to go dual tentacle. And I think it’s better so I started going that route and started to fully build around that instead IE drop Titan out because no Wet, take Tentacle seed so I started targeting characters who beat support like Cerb and Medusa etc etc. This is the real meat of the game imo, the progress of doing trials is whatever. I basically play with a main until I start getting bored and switch mains that makes me rethink the game. In a way I guess it’s casual strategy with enough depth that I don’t have to stress. And they constantly release patches that tweak skills that can cause havoc to your combinations.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I don't think it's a very good game, really, but my life does need one phone game to fill some edge time and I feel like I've mostly mined out Spire/Card Quest/Hoplite/etc. so this one is kind of winning by default right now. It might prompt me to dig back into Dungeon Maker at some point, but my impression there was way too much mindless tapping. I don't know how this is any better on that front but here we are.

What do you all like for Steno's second active? Death command looks like the obvious winner to me on paper, but I feel like I'm generally having better runs when I go for whispers and I'm still not sure what to make of that.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
You can unlock auto cast in Dungeon Maker, probably a lot easier to unlock than it is in this game. I just slide my finger around without tapping in Squad though.

All of Steno’s active skills are good so you can’t go wrong. Ravens and Dark Whisper is probably the best generic two to get together. Make sure to get the passive Slow whatever and upgrade it with the Dark Whisper improvement.

If you have a lot of dot damage Death and Corruption and Ravens is the way I go, unless I am using Titan then I will go Dark Whisper for its lightning master. It’s an absolute must to get Death and Corruption if you have Medusa. Her Poison Fog is the best active skill in the game and it’s even more outrageous if you get D and C.

Death Command probably the least I would use except for you want to go wild with cold damage through its master skill to trigger Krakens Bricicle.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i think dark whisper is bugged right now, it doesn't spread much even when fully invested for me. it's really good normally though.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Reiterpallasch posted:

i think dark whisper is bugged right now, it doesn't spread much even when fully invested for me. it's really good normally though.

Upcoming patch fixes that thankfully and Titan stuff too. Lots of stuff that will make things easier like boss nerfs, less stones to get auto and speed up etc.

https://gamecoaster.slite.page/p/a-coM8gyx8wO-u/DungeonSquad-Release-Note-EN

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Autoattack should have been a default thing. Still no clue how to unlock it and i dont know if I’ll bother. Its really not grabbing me at all like the previous two games.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
It unlocks through Vast Abyss, the materials expansion for some bizarre reason. I would recommend speed up over auto first, but to each their own.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
You still need to babysit the auto attack pretty heavily anyway or ranged units will chew you up.

Once I figured out what the various stats did I got through Trial 8 pretty easily. I got my five dollars’ worth out of it but I think I’m done for now until they add those last two heroes and if Dungeon Maker is any example, they’re going to make the game a lot more complicated over time. I tried to go back to it the other day and it’s amazing how much they’ve added, for better or worse.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah, but I just dont feel the hook with this one, just the grind. The gameplay in Dungeon Maker was great. I looked forward to making a whole new dungeon each time and getting a new bunch of monsters. Squad just feels unsatisfying and repetitive.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah, figuring out the builds and best interactions was good fun, but once you know them the game basically just reduces to seeing if you get the RNG to force your builds. Higher trial levels increase the speed at which you have to assemble builds to keep up with enemies; metaprogression makes it easier to do that.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Sometimes one of the rewards has a red circle around it. What does that mean? I see it around my crystals too.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

better reward for harder enemies.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Reiterpallasch posted:

Yeah, figuring out the builds and best interactions was good fun, but once you know them the game basically just reduces to seeing if you get the RNG to force your builds. Higher trial levels increase the speed at which you have to assemble builds to keep up with enemies; metaprogression makes it easier to do that.

With essentially the buff to more likely get upgrades by getting the same monsters and the nerf to some bosses and such, it’s made the game pretty non-thinking yeah. Basically you just need to know a good build for your main and nothing else matters at the moment, not even who else you get. If on a lower tier I only use two monsters total and three on higher for the moment.

The only thing that really changes how I approach things is if doing the highest tier and I have to take the dreaded less choices pick. And with that I just have to be more careful with what I upgrade, usually to avoid where I would normally only have a choice of 2 which goes down to 1 and I am forced to take a master skill I don’t want.

They churn out so much stuff I am excited for where it may go even if it’s pretty dull right now. They have been pretty quiet right now so I expect World 4 to be out shortly and hopefully a new system and or other tweaks to come out. Also thankfully the later worlds are getting less days as well.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

looks like they;ve released a largish update.

also lmao

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Update isn’t like a big overhaul but has some nice changes and additions. Getting rid of Trials is a good move and now there’s just some extra difficulty levels instead. Also squad expansion is separated out and given after beating bosses. There’s now super equipment that drops and it gets it’s own slot. From what I have seen it tends to greatly enhance a skill from 2-3 characters. Bunch of other stuff as well IE get a big titty god blessing reward, enhance temperaments for future runs etc etc.

Oh yea there’s now a World 4 with some tanky bosses but the nicer thing is that every world is just 11 days now.

Medusa is awful now. Titan and Stheno still top tier.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So what's the deal with Story Mode? Is it supposed to be borderline impossible to play compared to the other game modes or am I just completely not getting how it works? Because it doesn't seem to give you enough resources to clear any of the stages it wants you to, but also you have to clear them to get more resources?

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Nuebot posted:

So what's the deal with Story Mode? Is it supposed to be borderline impossible to play compared to the other game modes or am I just completely not getting how it works? Because it doesn't seem to give you enough resources to clear any of the stages it wants you to, but also you have to clear them to get more resources?

There's a guide on the wiki but there's a bunch of specific triggers for different story endings, and some of them give you more days which unlock more endings which give you more days, etc.

It's all just unlocks for 1 character, no other real progression.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I haven't touched dungeon squad in months and apparently I'm too stupid to play it because Ive forgotten where the start game button is.

I feel like it's supposed to be under Dark God's Spear but every hero says Forgotten and there's no start game button?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Len posted:

I haven't touched dungeon squad in months and apparently I'm too stupid to play it because Ive forgotten where the start game button is.

I feel like it's supposed to be under Dark God's Spear but every hero says Forgotten and there's no start game button?

Click 'Guidance Stone' in the lower right to proceed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Devor posted:

Click 'Guidance Stone' in the lower right to proceed

Thanks, I knew it was me being unable to read