Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

There's also been a couple of new Challenge modes, one of which drops a big chunk of demon stones. Check them out if you like timed ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

how in the sam hill do i get torture tools

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Corruption unlocks pack pretty much!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The new all out battle mode is interesting. Every move is 10 days. Everything is compacted. I.e theres only one shop type, event choices give you three multiple choice selections, battle rewards are clustered, no importing stuff and difficulty is at 10 but you can select which level to try, AND choose to add additional challenges.

I died in my first go after picking 3 cards and it gave me 20 stones. :v:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Holy poo poo, you know all those facilities and monsters you have to carefully collect stuff to fuse up? All out battle will just straight up give them to you fully completed. This mode is great but extremely brutal too. I have not been able to break past the first world at all.

CrowdControl
Aug 2, 2011

Uhh Tommy, I think I'm just gonna sleep at my house tonight...
So I picked this up again after setting it down for a minute when it felt like too much of a slog. It feels like it's gotten alot easier since I played last. Went from being stuck on hard to beating trials 8 500days. I'm loving the torture/corruption stuff but go question I cant find an answer to. How does the corrupted king killer's skill work? It's really vague.
Does it only fire once a battle, once per enemy or only on enemies that have never been attacked by anyone?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Total War mode's books are ridiculous. You can just keep collecting the book bundles and they'll automatically read them for you. Total War is just so much faster and fun but also incredibly brutal compared to the base mode.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You can also crank up the numbers for even more enemies. This seems like itd make things tough but if you have an aoe trap...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

1.9.5 Update Notes

[Game play]
> Abyss Rebirth Advice
: When you reach 100/300/500/1000 days, Abyss Rebirth Advice will be shown.
: You will be given a Rebirth and continue choices, and if you choose Rebirth, you can Rebirth with double score (EXP).
: You can ignore Abyss Rebirth Advice and continue playing, but after 1000 days your score will not be listed on the leaderboard.

> Difficulty
: Difficulty reduced to 9 from 41 difficulty levels.
: Common, Hard, Trial 1, Trial 2, Legend 1, Legend 2, Myth 1, Myth 2, Myth 3

> Leaderboard
: The score standard has been changed to create a new leaderboard with difficulties and dark lords. (Old leaderboards will be archived.)
: Challenge mode leaderboards are no longer updated.(Old leaderboards will be archived.)

> Start-options
: Bonus events have been removed at the start of a new game.
: This option will be brought back to the new system after reorganization.

> Facility Inventory
: If you unlock the Facility Inventory, you can store in a separate space without building the facility.
: Stored facilities can be taken out at Room Exchange or used as materials for Special Upgrade.

> Dungeon Map
: You can use dungeons of various structures.
: Presets of Dungeons do not expand further, but each structure has a special effect.

> Challenge Mode
: Challenge mode is integrated into normal mode.
: You can play by setting multiple challenge modes in normal mode.
: Monster / Facility Succeed is possible even if you activate challenge mode.

> Fusion, Special Upgrade, corrupt
You can use Fusion, Special Upgrade or corrupt at any time from the Action Card Selection screen without going to a merchant.

> Corrupted hero
: The captured heroes' mental strength must be 0, to corrupt it.
: All captured heroes' mental strength is reduced by half.

> Total War
> Conqueror Level
: 20% less EXP needed to increase conqueror level.
> hero
: heros appearing in the Total war is reduced by 15% health and damage.
> Battle Reward
: monsters and facilities' EXP is greatly increased at Battle rewards. (70-200%)
: EXP gained in battle is increased by 20%.

> Monster
> The orb
: The orb image Simplified and combined with the monster icon has been changed to make it easier to read.

> Transcend Level
: 20% less EXP required to increase the Transcend Level.

> Buff / Debuff
> Electrical Short
: At the time of death, it gives 10% of Shock damage per Electrical Short to the enemies near you.
> Spore
: At the time of death, it gives 10% of Poison damage per Spore to the enemies near you.

> Interface
All interfaces have been restructured to new design criteria.

Bunch of new updates, interesting ones bolded.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Started recently, just unlocked Myth 1.

Possibly stupid question, but what do souls do?

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
As in, the ones you get from the Altar room? They're currency for turning captured heroes into usable units (corruption) or for turning units you already have into equipment that has their base ability.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

booksnake posted:

As in, the ones you get from the Altar room? They're currency for turning captured heroes into usable units (corruption) or for turning units you already have into equipment that has their base ability.

Ah, that would explain it. Have been restarting at 100 days because it suggests it (should I not?) so torturing captured heroes takes too long to see the result.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

PJOmega posted:

Ah, that would explain it. Have been restarting at 100 days because it suggests it (should I not?) so torturing captured heroes takes too long to see the result.

So, the basic structure early on is hit day 100, restart at the next highest difficulty until you get into Hard Mode. Hard 1 is easier than Normal 10, so once you hit that go do a long run, unlock achievements, etc., etc.

Souls can be a really long term investment, so you're correct in just ignoring the torture/souls/jail mechanics for the moment.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Relentless posted:

So, the basic structure early on is hit day 100, restart at the next highest difficulty until you get into Hard Mode. Hard 1 is easier than Normal 10, so once you hit that go do a long run, unlock achievements, etc., etc.

Souls can be a really long term investment, so you're correct in just ignoring the torture/souls/jail mechanics for the moment.

I've cleared Myth 1, what is normal 10?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Well just had a fight that went on for 20 minutes that I ended up losing. Day 175, gunner with Minigun, Absolute Barrier, Frost Arrow, Corrosion, and Rush just became unkillable. End result screen says it had 2k stacks of shield and solo'd the entire dungeon that was steamrolling things until that point.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Started playing couple days ago. I'm on Hard Trial 1 and sailing along. What do I need to do to get Awakened Elizabeth? The locks don't really tell you how to unlock them as far as I know.

Long edit: I googled it and found out. I’m using one of the later Elizabeths anyway.

Irritated Goat fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 23, 2020

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
This game is fun as hell.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
I just started today and have no idea what I'm doing.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

RBA-Wintrow posted:

I just started today and have no idea what I'm doing.

Just try to plunk down rooms and monsters that seem cool to you. Some of them can be fused into more powerful versions. When I was just starting, combining an arrow trap and an ice trap right at the entrance to the dungeon was super strong and effective to me. As you get devil stones (after your run ends) unlock more stuff.

I do have a question for the experts however. Been a while since I played and there have been a ton of updates. How does the ancient dictionary pages work with the keywords? its totally confusing to me.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Game is good

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I'm not sure if I like the new ui

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I've gotten a bit into this game and have a question: Is it just a translation error that the start-of-game carryover screen says "exclude" with big "NO" symbols over the stuff I pick when.. most of the stuff I'm picking is supposed to carry over into the new game? This feels really rear end backwards and confusing.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

DaveKap posted:

I've gotten a bit into this game and have a question: Is it just a translation error that the start-of-game carryover screen says "exclude" with big "NO" symbols over the stuff I pick when.. most of the stuff I'm picking is supposed to carry over into the new game? This feels really rear end backwards and confusing.

It's been awhile, but my memory is that the exclude stuff is specifically things you don't want to be offered next game.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

DaveKap posted:

So, by default, you don't carry anything over into the new game. There's eventually unlocks to where you can bring over a unit, including the stuff they have equipped, followed by a couple of units and then you also get some storage slots where you can store something but not bring it.

The exclude is saying "No, gently caress this thing I unlocked, it sucks and I hate it."

It's actually really important for a lot of traps or whatever. Like you can unlock the first part of a chain of 3 traps, but the first one is merely "okay", the 2nd one is solid and the 3rd is fantastic. But when you only have the meh one unlocked, you don't want it muddying up the pool when you could be getting a trap you actually give a poo poo about. That sort of thing.

That and some of the monster unlocks are just... not great.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Thanks for the help! It makes sense once I go through and look at what I actually unlocked in the Abyss shop. Which brings me to a few more concerns:
Edit: <Insert a bunch of questions about the ability to carry over stuff between games only for me to discover that Total War confusingly ignores succession abilities!>

I don't suppose there's some way to have monsters auto-place every time I get a new one, or a new monster room, instead of having to clear and auto-place manually each time?

It really feels like books are sometimes randomly read on their own... I can't figure out why this happens.

What exactly earns devil stones? Is it a combination of score and level ups or is there more to it?

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Been enjoying Gamecoasters new game Dungeon Squad. It’s more of a sequel to their first game Dungeon Defense but with Dungeon Maker influence. It’s castle defense where you power up your few big titty demons by picking different abilities and such after each Day. Some resources gained are used to pick benefits that stay with you game to game.

This game is hornier than Dungeon Maker be forewarned. I think mainly because the in between battle screens show close up to your teams and the reward screen has animated hexes with jigglies.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

They did a new game? Cool. I remember Dungeon Maker had a ton of replayability.

EDIT: Initial impressions are not great. Feels overly clicky, don't like tapping to launch my fireballs, it feels like it could be bad for my fingers long term and I am craving an auto-shoot option. The arc and explosion for the projectiles is fun, but that's the only thing that really stood out. Will try and play it a bit further, see if it's any funner when you have a posse or once I unlock some ease of play features.

avoraciopoctules fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 17, 2022

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

avoraciopoctules posted:

They did a new game? Cool. I remember Dungeon Maker had a ton of replayability.

EDIT: Initial impressions are not great. Feels overly clicky, don't like tapping to launch my fireballs, it feels like it could be bad for my fingers long term and I am craving an auto-shoot option. The arc and explosion for the projectiles is fun, but that's the only thing that really stood out. Will try and play it a bit further, see if it's any funner when you have a posse or once I unlock some ease of play features.

Same. Glad I used google bux. It's a weird little replica of a dozen other "guys attack from the right shoot arrows at them" with their horny art assets.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I was feeling the same way until I finally beat Normal which is the end of the third world. Once you really start learning their skills is when it really unlocked for me and you run across some incredible enhancement passives. Like each member can have up to two active skills and now I have learned what follow up enhancements and passives you get with certain choice. So now I have certain character combos and active skills I really like and keep discovering more.

Like I won my first time with Lightning girl. I was barely surviving rounds but then I got a passive that casts Lightning Wave every second. I already had a different passive that essentially stunned dudes if hit by Lightning Wave, so this just turned the tide for me and I wrecked poo poo. And that’s before getting into character combos like I had the Kraken with the Tsunami skill that hit like the whole screen and lowers Lightning resist. It keeps getting more complicated in a good way as I discover certain passives that have great synergy.

If you don’t like thinking about builds and combinations this is probably not for you though. And yeah it’s like early Dungeon Maker where you have to tap.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
Is there a way to replace the trait on a monster you already have in the party? Sometimes I pick up a monster in act one, then get the act boss soul for world 2 on that monster and it feels lovely because I don't know how to use the awesome passives you get later on

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
There’s an upgrade called Body Swap that I think let’s you do switch traits. It costs 50 guidance stones to unlock so don’t have it yet.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Hand Row posted:

I was feeling the same way until I finally beat Normal which is the end of the third world. Once you really start learning their skills is when it really unlocked for me and you run across some incredible enhancement passives. Like each member can have up to two active skills and now I have learned what follow up enhancements and passives you get with certain choice. So now I have certain character combos and active skills I really like and keep discovering more.

I'm still trying to decide whether this feels like a design problem or like the core of the game - I'd kill for an in-game skill reference list so I could plan builds on something other than memory, because as a lazy and forgetful man relying on memory is a pretty strong incentive to just stick with one build forever after I've charted out a path that works.

Also struggling to decide whether I haven't figured out the right build for some people yet or Cerberus is just ludicrously overpowered.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Irony.or.Death posted:

I'm still trying to decide whether this feels like a design problem or like the core of the game - I'd kill for an in-game skill reference list so I could plan builds on something other than memory, because as a lazy and forgetful man relying on memory is a pretty strong incentive to just stick with one build forever after I've charted out a path that works.

Also struggling to decide whether I haven't figured out the right build for some people yet or Cerberus is just ludicrously overpowered.

Cerberus feels way OP to me. Could be I've just pushed a couple more runs with her than the others. Definitely more straightforward anyway.

For pegasus, i feel like steel feathers and always big steel feathers passive is good. But it wasn't as smooth as the normal victory I had w/ C

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Titan gets pretty OP with a very specific build, though I haven't managed to pull together a normal victory win yet. Keep dying on 3-17.

You want Thunder Wave and Thunderbolt as your actives. For your passives, you want ... uh, the one that works on the shield (which you don't have) + thunder wave (Conductive something?) and the one that buffs your thunderbolts. The first passive has an upgrade that auto-casts Thunder Wave every second, while the latter fires off your Thunderbolt whenever anyone in your party deals lightning damage at a 6% rate (which is basically guaranteed off Thunder Wave in a crowd, especially once you start stacking up bonus shots on it).

Once you take all the good enhancements to Thunder Wave and Thunderbolt, the end result is that your Thunder Wave fires 4 times and also triggers 1-3 Thunderbolts that each reduce enemy lightning resistance. And you get an autocast Thunder Wave to make sure that the crowd stays thinned even if your Titan is stunned or your finger's tired.

The one caution is that I did run into an Enhanced Loki with this build that ended up slowing the game to seconds per frame, then crashing, because it was retaliating off all those hits.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Cerberus is incredible and always a welcome addition but I could see her not being the best as your primary on harder difficulties where a AOE main could outshine her. But yeah I always pick her up if able because her single target boss role is always needed.

I just had an amazing run where I had a bunch of AOE people and her. The acid girl has the acid splash skill that lowers resist for like physical fire and lightning. And it has major range buffs so it basically took up the whole screen. I had other range buffs so just massive fireballs from Fire lady, acid main attack and other stuff. Range buffs are fun with those peeps. Just annihilated groups and Cerebus would do her thing on bosses.

Cerebus and Titan are my always pick them if available choices for sure. Lighting Wave is the real key and then yea I take Thunderbolt. Cerebus I take Explosive Bullet and usually Shockwave but I dunno if that’s a good move. I just haven’t noticed her other stuff do much and figure Shockwave is better for her single target role.

Hand Row fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 19, 2022

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Hand Row posted:

Cerberus is incredible and always a welcome addition but I could see her not being the best as your primary on harder difficulties where a AOE main could outshine her. But yeah I always pick her up if able because her single target boss role is always needed.

I just had an amazing run where I had a bunch of AOE people and her. The acid girl has the acid splash skill that lowers resist for like physical fire and lightning. And it has major range buffs so it basically took up the whole screen. I had other range buffs so just massive fireballs from Fire lady, acid main attack and other stuff. Range buffs are fun with those peeps. Just annihilated groups and Cerebus would do her thing on bosses.

Cerebus and Titan are my always pick them if available choices for sure. Lighting Wave is the real key and then yea I take Thunderbolt. Cerebus I take Explosive Bullet and usually Shockwave but I dunno if that’s a good move. I just haven’t noticed her other stuff do much and figure Shockwave is better for her single target role.

Cerberus absolutely crushes with AOEs though too. The big explosion has a mod that makes it explode again. You can get enough area+ that it hits almost the whole map 2x

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah cerberus feels indispensable for aoe, take bombard instead of shockwave and some of the enhancements it opens up are absolutely ludicrous range and range damage buffs. Also three heads, which is great on its own, has some really dumb enhancements for extra screen clearing and also being immortal.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh wow yeag this is way more jiggly than Dungeon Maker.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
My problem with Bombard previously was the reload speed is brutal but glad you guys recommended it as I gave it another chance. And then I really loved it when it has a Master Skill that significantly makes the reload speed faster.

Btw Medusa has great synergy with Cerebus. Take the passive eyeball skill and it has a 60% physical dmg increase nearby enemies for all allies enhancement. Also has another skill that gives 20% extra dmg to enemies that are stopped or something like that. I think it works with that Lightning Wave buff that stops dudes briefly so I just melted everything on Hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I somehow managed to win Normal mode with Pegasus, but it was mostly off the backs of a Titan and Cerberus I picked up early. Pegasus herself feels like a discount Cerberus but worse in basically every way. She's got the same basic gimmick (a high-quantity direct-fire attack that hits more than one enemy), but Cerberus is better at it, and Cerberus's secondary gimmicks and support abilities are much better.

Also, I gotta say that I'm really fond of Diablo. Her primary ability is a crowd-busting nuke on its own if you build it well, Apocalypse has a bunch of cool enhancements and passives associated with it, and she's got good party support as well (she can double the party's fire damage as an always-on passive!).