Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alan Smithee posted:

cant wait for sequel Upgrade 2.0: STEM Education

Upgrade 2 should have the wife who gets killed at the beginning have her brain put in a robot body and she has to violently overthrow the evil AI technocrat emperor that's taken over the world with Grey's body

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Blisster posted:

Yeah I quite liked that one, evem though I spent half of it saying "is that Tom Hardy or not?" to myself.

Pretty sure Upgrade was only playing for about a week here as well. I caught it on one of the last possible days. I hope it makes some money cause I would love to see some more mid-budget sci fi stuff coming out.

Before it even gets to the rental/purchase market, this movie already doubled or tripled its budget. That's the benefit of making a good movie with a low budget.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
"indie" or low budget sci fi is usually pretty trash, so this one surprised me. I didn't realize it only had a super limited release..maybe they had zero confidence in it. Truth or dare stuck around for the usual month and I doubt that had a much higher budget. They also had nothing stating it was from the dude who wrote a ton of saw and insidious movies in any marketing (and i think directed insidious 3?)..which would have got me to not see it, so maybe for the best.

e: he's also in the first saw which is hilarious to me for some reason

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Just saw this, it was surprisingly good to be honest. I really like the military guys.

What I don't get:
If the Eron dude answered to STEM anyway, why were there any inputguards in the first place? Like he seemed to be afraid of STEM and handled on his orders.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Just saw this, it was surprisingly good to be honest. I really like the military guys.

What I don't get:
If the Eron dude answered to STEM anyway, why were there any inputguards in the first place? Like he seemed to be afraid of STEM and handled on his orders.

I really enjoyed this movie. The world building was cool and I kinda hope we dont get a sequel.

I think STEM was transferred to the chip. So while he had his window Eron threw in the safe guards to limit STEM. Obviously it didnt take very long to get past the safe guard and free itself. While at the same time driving its host to the breaking point by forcing him on a blood soaked revenge trip

Caros
May 14, 2008

That or it is part of the long con in order to break down the host

Wren610
Oct 25, 2010
Just saw it the movie was awesome, props to the camera work there where alot of little details that elevated this flick. I was surprised it was made so well on such a little budget.

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Is this movie supposedto be really fuckin wide

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Taintrunner posted:

Upgrade 2 should have the wife who gets killed at the beginning have her brain put in a robot body and she has to violently overthrow the evil AI technocrat emperor that's taken over the world with Grey's body

Upgrade 2: Grey becomes Eron Musk and totally not Grimes has to stop him

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

blumhouse more movies like Upgrade and less like Truth or Dare please

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Upgrade is a better Venom movie than the actual one will end up being.

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Does the thug say "an uneducated incel like me"

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
I just watched this last night and overall thought it was pretty good. It made some weird "tell don't show" decisions, where the logic didn't really follow, or was just plain lazy. Why did STEM tell Grey that he couldn't shut off one type of car (that is certainly controlled by a computer) because it isn't electronic (it is?) and why the hell does STEM broadcast sound waves to Grey's eardrums rather than just send a signal to his brain? What was with the loving bizarre shutdown sequence on STEM that absolutely wouldn't happen? That being said, everything else made up for it. There was some really cool cinematography during the fight sequences, and Grey being really weirded out by STEM using his body was great. The end was sort of a surprise. I don't watch a ton of Blumhouse or other horror movies and didn't expect it to go in that direction as a result.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I think he meant that cop lady's car was not an auto-drive model. So even tho it has computers it's not able to drive itself so it's useless to STEM.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
STEM didn't need to control it, just to shut the engine off. I imagine even in a modern car today, with turnkey ignition, you can tell the computer to shut the car off and it will. It might not be possible remotely, but that would have been a significantly better response than the clunky reason given in the movie.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Because a wizard can't do it

We already have enough people saying that car chase was boring now imagine stem just shuts her Down and they go bye bye

Caros
May 14, 2008

Xenix posted:

STEM didn't need to control it, just to shut the engine off. I imagine even in a modern car today, with turnkey ignition, you can tell the computer to shut the car off and it will. It might not be possible remotely, but that would have been a significantly better response than the clunky reason given in the movie.

That was the point though. The car is 'analog' in that it is akin to a modern car thst has electronics, but isn't a wireless self driving car.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
gently caress, this movie owned, it's like Whannell made a live-action version of all the awesome cyberpunk anime OVAs. It's honestly almost enough to make me wish he was doing Alita: Battle Angel and not Rodriguez.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

Xenix posted:

She mentioned earlier in the film she liked using pre-computerized cars. Chances are her car was like his old enough to not have any computer components in it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Can I just say the camerawork in that first fight scene loving slaps rear end, by the way? I loving love that initial shot when STEM takes over and Grey does a kip-up, with the camera rotating to make it look like his head hasn't moved at all.

Also:

"STEM HE'S GOT A KNIFE" "I see that. We have a knife, too." :black101:

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
The locked-in camera look was a good visual representation for STEM taking over. I also like that they mess with that camera style to show STEM shutting down when Grey is trying to get to the hacker.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also the guy who steals Grey's wheelchair is one of the more underrated bit parts in recent memory

The way he looks completely incredulous for a second, and then goes "pshh, faker :rolleyes:" and makes off with the chair made me laugh like an idiot

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I saw the movie with 5 people in the theater, and two of them were these loud middle aged men, and they made the film so much more fun. Always going 'OOOHHHH!" and laughing at all the jokes. Perfect. I thank those two men for making Upgrade just a schoch better.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I have a weird feeling this is one of those movies that's slipping everyone's radar now, but will be a huge cult classic a few years from now

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
Holy poo poo. I bought this on YouTube because of the thread (cos there's no rental option yet) and I'm so glad I did.

I'd been kinda interested in it, but I kept putting it off because I kept expecting it to be a pretty standard superhero-type movie, which I'm really not into.

But holy poo poo, what a cool-rear end cyberpunk world.

EDIT: I was also totally unprepared for how hilarious it is.

discoukulele fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 21, 2018

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Can I just say the camerawork in that first fight scene loving slaps rear end, by the way? I loving love that initial shot when STEM takes over and Grey does a kip-up, with the camera rotating to make it look like his head hasn't moved at all.

Also:

"STEM HE'S GOT A KNIFE" "I see that. We have a knife, too." :black101:

Fun fact: all the rotating shots were made possible by Steadiman's tilt tracking device

https://instagram.com/p/BiWRZtnHe8F/

And if you haven't read Steadiman's Steadicam threads, what are you even doing?

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Also the guy who steals Grey's wheelchair is one of the more underrated bit parts in recent memory

The way he looks completely incredulous for a second, and then goes "pshh, faker :rolleyes:" and makes off with the chair made me laugh like an idiot

Tries to. Its locked remember.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

I saw this in June in theaters and it’s my 3rd favorite movie of the entire year behind Blackkklansmen and Thoroughbreds. Kitchen fight scene was probably my favorite scene of the year in any film. Awesome movie that I’ll be able to rewatch often.

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
The best thing about this movie is that they seem to realize how deeply cyberpunk is about schizophrenia

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
The worst thing is how wide it is

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Upgrade is now available for rent and goddamn, it really is something special. I wasn't expecting it to be the fully formed sci-fi vision that it is, I thought it was going to be a more straight-forward action movie.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Oh boy I enjoyed the hell out of this movie.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Was an ok movie but the idea of a super computer consciousness so petty after hearing from a human that "humans can do some things better" decide to kill his wife and cripple him so that it can solve his human problems with its vast computational intelligence while giving itself a human body is just absurd.

From all the talk, I had thought that this movie was going to have more fighting but in the end there's hardly any fighting at all. It's hard to label this movie because at the end it kinda turns into a horror movie.

Odd food for thought, but the technological singularity got its name from technology advancing so fast that we would be unable to understand it. The entire last struggle in the movie is with the police detective who only knows grey is getting revenge but has no idea hes being controlled at that point or anything hes gone through. So she only has a small understanding what is happening. And then when the AI talking to her, shes like "what? whose in the what now?", then the AI kills her.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 31, 2018

teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012
Just saw Upgrade, enjoyed a lot of it. Definitely felt like a bit of a love letter to Cronenberg (especially Videodrome, which I definitely dug).

But now I'm stuck on the character of Detective Cortez. What was her motivation, like at all?

Options:
1) She got paid off by a third party in a cut storyline. I haven't read anything about this, but it would explain why she sat for three months with her thumb up her butt instead of investigating the clear leads she had on suspects in a horrific murder of one person and crippling attack on another up until the main character (a loving quadraplegic at that point and the victim of said attack) started hanging around the neighborhood and then clearly acted like she was protecting those same murderers. That might at least explain why she's at Eron's house at the end, but clearly makes her an rear end in a top hat.

Or,
2) Detective Cortez loving hates disabled people and was acting entirely of her own volition. This seems to be the explanation the movie implicitly has, given the absence of any scene where she's clearly being paid off by a third party, because she just acts annoyed when Grey comes to the department to find out that she's done jack sqaut on the investigation into his wife's murder and his near-fatal attack. And then, when the people who really seem to be Grey's wife's murderers and yet are freely walking the streets start showing up dead, who were apparently sufficiently good suspects that she's almost certain that Grey is killing them for revenge, she's suddenly 100% loving invested in the dastardly killers of those fine, upstanding murderers and apparently has decided that it MUST be that man who can't move his arms and legs who's doing the brutal slaying, who she now needs to crucify (does she even have a warrant? Why is she just wandering inside the house of a paralyzed man who, as far as anybody from the outside world should think, couldn't possibly be killing anyone?). As far as I'm concerned, this makes her a much worse person than just a crooked cop.

So...anybody? Was I supposed to be sympathetic to her side of the story? Why does the movie seem to care whether she lives or dies? Literally what could possibly have been going through her mind to act the way she did?

teamcharlie fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 31, 2018

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
There were no leads for her to follow. Grey only starts finding the murderers because he's following the breadcrumbs STEM leads him to. But to the cops, it's just another murder with no way to solve it. She starts pursuing Grey because he keeps popping up where people are being murdered and shockingly, good cops want to prevent everyone from being killed, even criminals.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
And remember that STEM "solves" a crime that it created. There's a good chance he didn't need the picture to give the first guy's address.

Also, this movie is very good, and works around it's budget brilliantly. I'm just kind of annoyed since I had an idea for kind of a similar story, and now this really good film exists.

teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012
Well, Cortez says she doesn't have leads. I don't really see why that means that she doesn't have leads given that she seems almost certain that the guys who died were the people who murdered Asha and attacked Grey. Seems more likely, especially since she instantly knew Grey was going to Eron's house at the end of the movie (who she would have no sensible reason to know was involved in any way in this crime), that she got paid off by somebody or other in a dropped storyline, the editors/director couldn't figure out how to fit the last sequence in with the rest of the movie, and so they just didn't bother to make her part of it make sense. Either that, or cops just loooooove threatening to stab quadriplegics who have recently attempted suicide after the tragic death of said quadriplegic's loves ones. Super lady all around.

But honestly, my biggest problem is just that the movie seems to want her to be a sympathetic character somehow. Give her some creepy music whenever she's on screen, have her throwing darts at a picture of a wheelchair or something in her apartment, and I'm golden.

teamcharlie fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 1, 2018

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

I would have to have that non-binary hacker be the hero, since it's clear they knew that Eron was working on some world takeover poo poo and bailed before Fisk and Eron's goons showed up.

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

The moment they showed up I immediately said "here comes the shadowrun team".

The guy who played Fisk was on point. He got that "former special forces operator" look and act down, with that type A personality, that 5.11/EDC chic, and his little cop mustache.

Snowman_McK posted:

And remember that STEM "solves" a crime that it created. There's a good chance he didn't need the picture to give the first guy's address.

Also, this movie is very good, and works around it's budget brilliantly. I'm just kind of annoyed since I had an idea for kind of a similar story, and now this really good film exists.

That was my favorite bit I was thinking it was another case of the "zoom and enhance" trope and knew they shouldn't be able to pull that much detail out of it, but, nope, turns out that Eron and STEM set it all up, so of course STEM would have had prior knowledge

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

teamcharlie posted:

Well, Cortez says she doesn't have leads. I don't really see why that means that she doesn't have leads given that she seems almost certain that the guys who died were the people who murdered Asha and attacked Grey. Seems more likely, especially since she instantly knew Grey was going to Eron's house at the end of the movie (who she would have no sensible reason to know was involved in any way in this crime), that she got paid off by somebody or other in a dropped storyline, the editors/director couldn't figure out how to fit the last sequence in with the rest of the movie, and so they just didn't bother to make her part of it make sense. Either that, or cops just loooooove threatening to stab quadriplegics who have recently attempted suicide after the tragic death of said quadriplegic's loves ones. Super lady all around.

But honestly, my biggest problem is just that the movie seems to want her to be a sympathetic character somehow. Give her some creepy music whenever she's on screen, have her throwing darts at a picture of a wheelchair or something in her apartment, and I'm golden.

You've invented a whole plotline that isn't in the movie, then found a plothole in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly this movie was boring the poo poo out of me until he broke into that guys house, then I was 100% on board.