Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Ovi rules, he is the champion the cup deserves.

Tavares re-signing with the Islanders is not going to be boring, because they're going to allow 300 goals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Ginette Reno posted:

They got rid of Weight. There's no way Lou signs a coach who would give up 300 goals

There's two years left on Greiss' 3-year, 10m deal. His save percentage was .892 last year.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Caps have 63.8m in cap hit, 10F 4D 2G signed next year. The cap is probably going to be around 78m. This gives them 14m to re-sign Carlson, Wilson, 1F+1D, and spares.

Carlson gets 7-8m for 8 years. He has no reason to go anywhere else, and the organization would be foolish to let him walk. They need another swing at it next year.

Wilson had a good playoff performance with 15 points, scored a career high 35 in the regular season, but did so playing with all-stars. He's going to get paid for his reputation, probably 3-4m, but they should definitely be careful not to create an albatross here.

Kempny was good in the playoffs, but ultimately he's replaceable. They should have room, since he shouldn't cost too much.

DSP is this year's Brian Bickell. Great playoffs, good guy, but much more than 1m would be laughably bad, especially if they're losing one of the above guys in the resulting cap crunch.

Bowey likely gets his QO, and Boyd get a two-way deal. There's your spares.

Seems entirely possible, as long as they don't get stupid and pay the depth guys and not the big guys, especially Carlson.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

Kempny absolutely needs to be re-signed, he's a top 4 defenseman (albeit closer to the 3-4 spot...)

Why do you think he's a #3-4? He played the 4th most minutes in the playoffs, but it seems like there's a pretty big drop from Carlson/Niskanen/Orlov to him.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Slappy Pappy posted:

Yeah - he's actually pretty similar to Orlov but not as strong defensively. I love how angry he gets though. He's a little bit dirty. Also he seems to really like women's breasts.

OK but that involves throwing single dollars at someone, not millions.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

When do we vote on the Golden Shoe awards? Looks like someone other than Steve Simmons is finally going to win the Steve Simmons award.

Also LOL Islanders:

quote:

wouldn’t surprise me if the Islanders go after Detroit goaltender Jimmy Howard, who has one year at just under $5.92 million remaining on his contract, rather than yield a No. 1 to get Washington backup Philipp Grubauer.

:toxx: If the Islanders acquire Jimmy Howard, I will write a hit piece on every goalie who finished with worse save percentage than him next season, minimum 10 games started.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Friedman mentions that Simmonds can't put on weight. I always assumed his listed weight of 185 pounds was low, because he is obviously really strong.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Keep your Bud Light on the ice and your Bud Light drinking off the ice.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Today is about the Caps not having locker room problems, not the Sens having delivery room problems.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Senators are going to be loving suck next year.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Friedman seems to think the Oilers can move Lucic in some non cap dump type trade.

Oilers will have paid him nearly half of the value of his deal as of July 1, so while his cap hit is 6m, his actual salary averages out to 4.5m. While he is obviously a declining power forward at an age where guys tend to drop off, I could imagine a hockey trade with some salary retention. I don't think it's a good idea and get flashbacks to Kevin Stevens as a Ranger (among others) but if you ignore the contract and the tendency of 30+ power forwards to decline hard, there's some numbers that make it sound less unappealing.

He shot at half his career average last year - 6.8% vs 13.7%, or 14.6 as a Bruin and 16.1 as a King. His PDO was a bit low, at 98.4, while he's 101.5 for his career. His possession numbers are still positive, and he's only two years removed from an outstanding 59% CF and +4.2% CF rel on the Kings. On the other hand, he spent 174:54 on the power play with McDavid and Draisitl this year and only scored 3g 4a, which is a major red flag but probably for the whole Oilers team and not just him, because that put him 4th on the team in PPTOI and PPP. His career-high 12 PPG the year before were likely as much of a McDavid-driven aberration as Letestu's 11.

At this point in his career, I think a hockey trade requires some salary retention to put him in a secondary scoring role, where he fits. 33% retained would mean a 3m salary, which is probably about right for a 15g 20a guy. At 2.25m salary (3m cap hit) that contract would even be manageable in a few years. Age/term/player type make it a hard sell, though.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

I agree, the Stanley Cup winners are all just lucky and the Carolina Hurricanes deserve the Corsi Cup.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

I think the OEL contract is a comparable and the Caps can squeeze that, but asking for 10m+ would bring Carlson somewhere that he'd never contend for another cup.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Caps really shouldn't be giving Tom Wilson a big contract. He has one year where he scored more than 7 goals.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Slappy Pappy posted:

What’s overpaying? I’d say anything more than $3.5m. I guarantee no GMs consider him a dime-a-dozen player.

Money or term could both pose problems. Compare to Shaw's 3.9x6 and Beleskey's 3.8x5 and realize that both of those guys have scored more than Tom Wilson. That's what they're at risk for doing, with the possibility of Wilson reverting to a bad bottom six player who scores 20 or fewer points when he isn't on a line with elite forwards. He's definitely one of those intangibles/glue guys, and there's a chance that this was his breakout season at age 23 (which is normal) and he's actually going to be a 20/20 player, but that's not a certainty. He's also pretty close to UFA because he's been in the NHL for five years already, so they can't even give him another two-year prove-it contract.

Chris Kreider's 2.475x2 contract at age 23 after a 37-point year would be a good comparable if the Caps hadn't started Wilson so young and bridged him for two years already. Still, similar numbers and intimidating "more than numbers" players.

I would say anything over 3m and 3 years is too much.

Zodijackylite fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 15, 2018

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

PK Subban? Bridge for under 3m.

Karl Alzner and Jack Johnson? Over 10m.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

I don't get it. They traded for a guy who is a year younger and they hope can be as good as the guy they're giving up, who also plays center, which is the position they need. Also, the guy they acquired doesn't score goals.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

While the Coyotes haven't succeeded yet, Chayka is doing a good job of building a team in Arizona. Take a look at the team he took over, where he has since turned over his top six forwards. He managed to trade for a good starting goalie and established #1/2 centers.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/ARI/2016.html

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Levitate posted:

Not sure I’d call Gally an established center given where he was played a lot recently but it’s a good shot to take

I'm just assuming the Habs are incompetent because his best year was also the one when he played center the most.

Incredible. The guy scored 30 goals as a center at age 21.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Slappy Pappy posted:

Isn’t that a fairly common opinion though? Patrick O’Sullivan says the same stuff about Galchenyuk on the radio. Or is he an idiot too? I honestly don’t know - I’m not Canadian and I pretty much just listen to him and Boomer on Sirius XM.

It's more that the Habs have a long history of running good players out of town with stupid narratives, and this feels a lot like the PK Subban trade. The same guy also thinks Andrew Shaw plays the right way, and he sucks.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Max Pacrioretty doesn't get assists because nobody else on the team can score.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Why would the Pens add a sweetener to give another team Hagelin? He's maybe a bit overpaid, but not to the point where he's hindering them and he's loving essential for the PK (and possession in general).
And they don't even need the space for anyone, really.

Tavares.

Imagine how upset Islanders fan would be if the Pens gave the Rangers a good player to make room to sign Tavares.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Edmonton and Toronto are known for people taking off their clothes and throwing them on the ice.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Every coach plays veterans and young players who play the wrong way instead of Jiri Sekac.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Hoffman has averaged 26g 33a in the last three years. Boedker put up 25g 38a with the Sharks.

Over two years.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

It just crossed my mind how ironic it is that Randy Lee was probably interviewing dozens of teenagers at the draft combine and making judgments about their character.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

i am the bird posted:

Let me roleplay Ottawa:

We demand a second round pick, Hossa, and Brent Seabrook.

*massages shoulders*

You don't like that?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

Oh man, they're the escrow team now and don't even know it. :ohdear:

Now I'm curious as to what they could get for him to even consider flipping him? Top line center, winger, 1st, prospect?

e- I just came across some random guy on Twitter suggesting Kessel for Panarin straight up. That'd be quite a thing.

Lower end/younger first line winger with a more favorable contract, a 1st, and a good prospect. He's the kind of guy a team gives up some good pieces of their future to upgrade to. I could see a team like Tampa giving up a forward not named Stamkos/Kucherov/Point, plus the futures. Being able to spread elite talent across more lines is the way to win right now.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

ROR for Pacioretty straight up would be a good trade for the Habs if they had anyone else who could score goals. Habs need a natural center, ROR is 2+ years younger and signed for five years. Patches turns 30 in November, on the last year of his contract, and is coming off a career-low year. Avoiding a UFA contract on the wrong side of 30 is probably a good idea.

Dumb idea to trade 3OA, though.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

A good comparable for Grubauer would be the Talbot return - 2nd+3rd+7th. A mid 1st would be way too much.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

I just read that the Rangers qualified every RFA in the organization, except Adam Tambellini.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

I've been thinking that Rick Nash lands in Tampa and takes a bottom six role to chase a cup with some former teammates. Seems like a fit. Could make for a hell of a third line a la 2016 Pens.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

JoelJoel posted:

Benn JT Seguin sounds like some good C depth

Or one great loving line.

Is Benn really a center? I know he has moved back and forth, and often takes faceoffs as a winger. I thought he was primarily a winger, though.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Ferland had six power play goals and no power play assists.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

1) Carlson signed for exactly what we expected. He earned it, and can't be hated for the contract because they won a cup.

2) Anything crazy happening with Tavares would be very entertaining.

3) Riley Nash benefited greatly from playing on a good, deep team. Players of his caliber come around in free agency every year and sign 1-2 year contracts. I can't imagine a 4-year deal at any AAV would be a good idea.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Bruins have ~12m in cap space and 10F/7D/1G signed. Their only RFA is Sean Kuraly, who likely gets no more than his QO. They have 11m+ for Tavares and a backup goalie.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yeah, and McAvoy/Debrusk/Heinen need new contracts next summer.

-Debrusk has two years left on his ELC
-Backes' NMC turned into an 8-team tradelist (15 teams the year after)
-Hayes' $866k buyout comes off the books
-Chara's $5m cap hit comes off the books and he probably retires at age 42
-McQuaid's $2.75m cap hit comes off the books and he sucks

Signing Tavares for $11m would still give them $14m plus the cap increase to sign Heinen/McAvoy/Debrusk. If they could possibly sign Tavares, there's absolutely no reason they should not.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Panarin is great, but I'm not sure what the Rangers could offer that they don't need more than him. Rangers need their high picks. CBJ probably doesn't want to swap him for a couple lesser forwards, even if they're RFAs.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

DSP seems like a cool guy but he's unlikely to repeat his playoff feat, and he's likely to score 7 goals during the regular season again. Caps would be better served by giving a rookie a shot, or picking up a free agent winger who has more upside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hifi posted:

the coyotes new goalie coach is the brother of sebastian bach from "skid row"

This is Google gold.

• Locked thread