Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Shear Modulus posted:

I enjoyed that at the end of the last thread people were re-re-re-relitigating whether Draymond should be allowed to kick people in the balls.

Hey Lebron stepped over people and that’s basically the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

chunkles posted:

and then to pack up and leave houston again after a presser because who the gently caress comes here in july

Dog, He's in Cleveland rn....

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Dexo posted:

Dog, He's in Cleveland rn....

im not sure why i wrote "again" but it's probably because i have heat stroke

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dejan Bimble posted:

2. Do you think so? I think the lack of cap space is really going to slam his head in a window, possibly cutting his hair off. His only saving grace is that he was shooting 37.3% from three before he was traded to the phoenix graveyard

I don't think it will be as dire as predicted. Bad teams will spend money on 24 year olds, so the Hawks, Nets, Magic, Suns, Bulls will probably try to get guys (especially on shorter contracts) to make up for the lack of young talent. Plus there will be cap magic, some guys will get stretched, etc. I predict you'll more likely see veteran guys who would normally be in the mix for huge contracts be the ones get shorted vs young guys in the 25% of cap max.

quote:

3. It's a tough spot for the Magic, because he overlaps heavily with Gordon, who's an RFA, and fournier, who has several years left. He really blew up when they gave him the ball and let him do whatever he wanted

Didn't the Magic not pick up his option? I thought that meant he was for sure gone, but I dunno.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
No I'm saying Houston rn is still better than cleveland

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I think Lebron and Simmons would work together. I think they should trade Fultz, the 10th pick, and maybe Covington for another star.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Does LeBron take Love with him?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Shear Modulus posted:

Does LeBron take Love with him?

The only team that can eat both LeBron and Love's salary is the Lakers

and the Lakers will still suck

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dejan Bimble posted:

What kind of deal do you think Jabari Parker will get?
(no second contract, forced to play in China)

Will Elfrid Payton sign for more than 8m/yr?
(league minimum)
Who will pay for Mario Hezonja?
(ANY TEAM WHO CAN)

Will Wade "Supercop" Baldwin get a second contract?
(NO!!!)

I think the Bucks match anything on Parker. I'm really scared Utah will chase him hard. I don't trust his knees at all.

I think I've come around to my ideal Utah offseason being just running things back with Favors on a huge one year deal and then making a free agent push in 2019 when the free agent class is better and they have almost no one on the books (Tobias Harris is a UFA next year I think and he'd be a perfect fit next to Gobert). I'm open to a trade for a stretch 4 of someone is looking to shed salary because they have a bunch of unguranteed money to move but I don't see an obvious deal right now.

Niwrad posted:

I think Lebron and Simmons would work together. I think they should trade Fultz, the 10th pick, and maybe Covington for another star.

who is trading a legit star for a late lottery pick and a guy who might be broken?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

how's the minimum for payton 8mm?

it's going to be interesting to see what the suns swing if they do move back up into the lottery range, with all the praise for bagley/bamba coming from mcdonough plus ayton and then run payton/ulis at point guard

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

MourningView posted:

who is trading a legit star for a late lottery pick and a guy who might be broken?

The Cavs last year

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Dejan, Elfrid's hair is gone, dude. All star season inc

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 9, 2018

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Shear Modulus posted:

The Cavs last year

People thought the Brooklyn pick was gonna be a lot better at the time.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Niwrad posted:

Covington is way more valuable to a contender than any team that is trading away a star.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I’ve seen lots of people including “internet journalists” implying Lebron cant exist with other primary ball handlers, which is dumb after seeing in the finals Lebron needed other people that can be primary ball handlers and after seeing how well it worked out for Harden and Paul. If Lebron is the only threat to make plays without being wide open, you’re going to struggle against the best teams.

cosmicjim fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 9, 2018

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

cosmicjim posted:

I’ve seen lots of people including “internet journalists” implying Lebron cant exist with other primary ball handlers, which is dumb after seeing in the finals Lebron need other people that can be primary ball handlers and after seeing how well it worked out for Harden and Paul. If Lebron is the only threat to make plays without being wide open, you’re going to struggle against the best teams.

Lebron literally played with primary ball handlers in that little half-decade gap called the Miami Heat

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

cosmicjim posted:

I’ve seen lots of people including “internet journalists” implying Lebron cant exist with other primary ball handlers, which is dumb after seeing in the finals Lebron need other people that can be primary ball handlers and after seeing how well it worked out for Harden and Paul. If Lebron is the only threat to make plays without being wide open, you’re going to struggle against the best teams.

Harden and Paul are both great shooters. He can play with another good ballhandler, but Simmons also can't shoot when he's playing off the ball so he'd need to become a next level great cutter like Wade did to be worth a poo poo without the ball. Thats a lot of guys who do most of their best work right at the rim when you throw in Embiid too (who does at least try to shoot threes but is still really bad at it)

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Tae posted:

Lebron literally played with primary ball handlers in that little half-decade gap called the Miami Heat

Yep. Wade isn’t exactly a sharpshooter. He’s a much better shooter than Simmons, but saying Simmons and Lebron wouldn’t be able to play together is short sighted.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It definitely could work, but it also seems kinda silly to pretend that there aren't any issues with their fit together at all. It took awhile before he and Wade totally figured out how to play together too and Wade was a much better player than Simmons is right now

MourningView fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 9, 2018

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

MourningView posted:

Harden and Paul are both great shooters. He can play with another good ballhandler, but Simmons also can't shoot when he's playing off the ball so he'd need to become a next level great cutter like Wade did to be worth a poo poo without the ball. Thats a lot of guys who do most of their best work right at the rim when you throw in Embiid too (who does at least try to shoot threes but is still really bad at it)

Simmons not being a good shooter is the arguing point, but Simmons being open is almost just as good because he now can drive on a pass and breaks the defense down even further which opens up Reddick. You transplant Simmons to the Cavs during these finals and Korver actually gets open without sprinting across the court and throwing up a shot while spinning 150 degrees.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Cool Buff Man posted:

Dejan, Elfrid's hair is gone, dude. All star season inc

Oh poo poo
But we've seen this kind of thing before, only for a return of the hair

Lockback posted:

I don't think it will be as dire as predicted. Bad teams will spend money on 24 year olds, so the Hawks, Nets, Magic, Suns, Bulls will probably try to get guys (especially on shorter contracts) to make up for the lack of young talent. Plus there will be cap magic, some guys will get stretched, etc. I predict you'll more likely see veteran guys who would normally be in the mix for huge contracts be the ones get shorted vs young guys in the 25% of cap max.

Didn't the Magic not pick up his option? I thought that meant he was for sure gone, but I dunno.

The Hawks are a possibility, if anyone in the league wanted Schröder he'd probably be gone already, suns, of course, I don't think the Nets will put anyone ahead of Russell, and I don't think the Bulls want anyone ahead of Dunn. How many times do lottery pgs get passed around before the league gives up on them? If he keeps his hair trimmed he might be worth a little money, otherwise he's a waste.

The Magic did not pick up Hezonja team option, but that was before the season I think. Even if they wanted to keep him, I don't think they can, too much Biyombo and Fournier money in the way to pay big for someone whose offensive game mainly takes place on the same part of the court as Gordon, who's an RFA.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

cosmicjim posted:

Simmons not being a good shooter is the arguing point, but Simmons being open is almost just as good because he now can drive on a pass and breaks the defense down even further which opens up Reddick. You transplant Simmons to the Cavs during these finals and Korver actually gets open without sprinting across the court and throwing up a shot while spinning 150 degrees.

Reddick will not be on the team if Lebron is

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Dexo posted:

KNIGHTS OF LEBRON

Remember to pack and be ready and prepared to deploy to, Houston, Philly, Miami, LA, or SA by July 1st.

You will be left behind, and probably have to bum a ride off Brian Windhorst.

My bags are PACKED

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

MourningView posted:

I think the Bucks match anything on Parker. I'm really scared Utah will chase him hard. I don't trust his knees at all.

I think I've come around to my ideal Utah offseason being just running things back with Favors on a huge one year deal and then making a free agent push in 2019 when the free agent class is better and they have almost no one on the books (Tobias Harris is a UFA next year I think and he'd be a perfect fit next to Gobert). I'm open to a trade for a stretch 4 of someone is looking to shed salary because they have a bunch of unguranteed money to move but I don't see an obvious deal right now.

With the amount of times Tobias Harris gets traded, I thought he was pushing 30 by now. Turns out, he's only 25

Is the 2019 class that much better, I'm not seeing it

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

That's probably the best approach, maybe swap something for Jae Crowder because he stinks, leave the team as is and hope for great improvement from Mitchell and Exum. I don't think Favors will fetch a fortune on the open market, but he's useful to Utah because he can play with Gobert and also swing to 5 for Gobert's predictable injury time

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Cool Buff Man posted:

Reddick will not be on the team if Lebron is

It doesn’t have to be Reddick, but I don’t think anyone is going to beat the warriors without 2 people that can handle the ball and at least one deep threat not including the 2 aforementioned players.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

With the amount of times Tobias Harris gets traded, I thought he was pushing 30 by now. Turns out, he's only 25

Is the 2019 class that much better, I'm not seeing it

It's not amazing but this year's falls off really fast once you get past guys who would obviously never consider Utah.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 9, 2018

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Should we do some sort of poll on where LeBron ends up. Preferably so we can gloat/name and shame afterwards?

I think LeBron can basically play with anyone. In fact, I'm pretty sure at this point that the idea of overlapping roles is stupid and even if it's real only barely exists. It's probably only one step up from "there's only one ball!!" rhetoric.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

cosmicjim posted:

It doesn’t have to be Reddick, but I don’t think anyone is going to beat the warriors without 2 people that can handle the ball and at least one deep threat not including the 2 aforementioned players.

I agree I'm just saying some painful sacrifices will have to be made to bring Lebron to Philly, including tossing out some of their 3 point stretching. I'm with MourningView in that Lebron would obviously find a way to make it work but there are definitely some real hurdles to clear, some clogging up to sort out

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
I thought Reddick was only on a one year contract so he's most likely gone anyways right?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

E2M2 posted:

I thought Reddick was only on a one year contract so he's most likely gone anyways right?

Yeah. If Philly somehow strikes out in Free Agency I imagine he'll be back but they'd much rather put his salary towards Pau Gorge and the like

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dejan Bimble posted:

That's probably the best approach, maybe swap something for Jae Crowder because he stinks, leave the team as is and hope for great improvement from Mitchell and Exum. I don't think Favors will fetch a fortune on the open market, but he's useful to Utah because he can play with Gobert and also swing to 5 for Gobert's predictable injury time

They kinda have to keep Crowder if they're gonna keep Favors. The lineups with Gobert at center and Crowder at the 4 were absurdly good this year, and he's the best stretch 4 option on the roster (Jerrebko doesn't play D and Thabo is old and coming off knee injury). It'd be nice if he shot better but teams still pay attention to him and he plays really good defense. He's also got a pretry good contract.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Lots of people in the Philly world think that JJ will take a huge paycut to stay and make room for LeBron

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Oops. Painfully long bad internet double post.

cosmicjim fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 9, 2018

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

cosmicjim posted:

I think a super physical defensive team is more important. Golden State isn't really a 3 point shooting team anymore, relative to the rest of the league. I think you can make them look beatable if you can keep the pressure up.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Why is no one talking about Bill Simmons Ultimate Wet Dream? Boston is unequivocally the most complete, championship ready team in the East. Is it simply too unthinkable to see LeBron is that uniform?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Lockback posted:

I think a super physical defensive team is more important. Golden State isn't really a 3 point shooting team anymore, relative to the rest of the league. I think you can make them look beatable if you can keep the pressure up.

I agree with this, but I don’t think they are exclusive of each other.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Lockback posted:

Covington is way more valuable to a contender than any team that is trading away a star.

Covington is their only contract to make money work.

MourningView posted:

So if Kawhi demands a trade, who can top an offer of Fultz, Covington and the 10th pick? Maybe throw in a couple 2nds that Philly has stashed away. We found out last year that the market for a star rental is not that big.

As for the other ballhandler, Lebron will be 34 next season. Having a guy who can be the primary ballhandler for 40% of the possessions would be a huge plus for saving his energy. Chris Paul talked about how much easier it was on his body playing with Harden. They have guys who can shoot like Covington and Saric. Plus maybe they can convince Reddick to take the MLE (which is still over $8 million) and bring him back.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Lockback posted:

You can almost completely shut down 2 of 3 (KD/Curry/Thompson) and the Warriors will still beat you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lockback posted:

Hell the rockets showed how beatable they are until Chris died.

• Locked thread