Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/GarmanSports/status/1005514616515059713?s=19

I demand footage of Russ hanging out in Des Moines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

The Zombie burger where the buns are replaced by texas toast grilled cheese sandwiches seems up his alley.

Most of his shirts would fit in perfectly at the High Life

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dejan Bimble posted:

What kind of deal do you think Jabari Parker will get?
(no second contract, forced to play in China)

Will Elfrid Payton sign for more than 8m/yr?
(league minimum)
Who will pay for Mario Hezonja?
(ANY TEAM WHO CAN)

Will Wade "Supercop" Baldwin get a second contract?
(NO!!!)

I think the Bucks match anything on Parker. I'm really scared Utah will chase him hard. I don't trust his knees at all.

I think I've come around to my ideal Utah offseason being just running things back with Favors on a huge one year deal and then making a free agent push in 2019 when the free agent class is better and they have almost no one on the books (Tobias Harris is a UFA next year I think and he'd be a perfect fit next to Gobert). I'm open to a trade for a stretch 4 of someone is looking to shed salary because they have a bunch of unguranteed money to move but I don't see an obvious deal right now.

Niwrad posted:

I think Lebron and Simmons would work together. I think they should trade Fultz, the 10th pick, and maybe Covington for another star.

who is trading a legit star for a late lottery pick and a guy who might be broken?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Shear Modulus posted:

The Cavs last year

People thought the Brooklyn pick was gonna be a lot better at the time.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

cosmicjim posted:

I’ve seen lots of people including “internet journalists” implying Lebron cant exist with other primary ball handlers, which is dumb after seeing in the finals Lebron need other people that can be primary ball handlers and after seeing how well it worked out for Harden and Paul. If Lebron is the only threat to make plays without being wide open, you’re going to struggle against the best teams.

Harden and Paul are both great shooters. He can play with another good ballhandler, but Simmons also can't shoot when he's playing off the ball so he'd need to become a next level great cutter like Wade did to be worth a poo poo without the ball. Thats a lot of guys who do most of their best work right at the rim when you throw in Embiid too (who does at least try to shoot threes but is still really bad at it)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It definitely could work, but it also seems kinda silly to pretend that there aren't any issues with their fit together at all. It took awhile before he and Wade totally figured out how to play together too and Wade was a much better player than Simmons is right now

MourningView fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 9, 2018

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

With the amount of times Tobias Harris gets traded, I thought he was pushing 30 by now. Turns out, he's only 25

Is the 2019 class that much better, I'm not seeing it

It's not amazing but this year's falls off really fast once you get past guys who would obviously never consider Utah.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 9, 2018

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dejan Bimble posted:

That's probably the best approach, maybe swap something for Jae Crowder because he stinks, leave the team as is and hope for great improvement from Mitchell and Exum. I don't think Favors will fetch a fortune on the open market, but he's useful to Utah because he can play with Gobert and also swing to 5 for Gobert's predictable injury time

They kinda have to keep Crowder if they're gonna keep Favors. The lineups with Gobert at center and Crowder at the 4 were absurdly good this year, and he's the best stretch 4 option on the roster (Jerrebko doesn't play D and Thabo is old and coming off knee injury). It'd be nice if he shot better but teams still pay attention to him and he plays really good defense. He's also got a pretry good contract.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I don't get how you guys think Paul and Harden is remotely comparable both of those guys are great outside shooters.

I also don't think Kawahi is ultimately demanding a trade when the Spurs can offer him a supermax he can't get anywhere else. Aldridge was pissed at them at one point too, they eventually figured things out.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

I think you have an unfair assessment of Simmons based on the first playoffs he ever played in. He is already a matchup nightmare and will be getting better. Considering now you are talking about long stretches of a PG or SG having to guard either Simmons or Lebron, the offense will happen if they play together.

He's literally never been able or even particularly willing to shoot going back to high school, how is pointing out that he's bad at it unfair or based on a small sample?

I already said I'd do it and that it's possible it could work. That doesn't mean there are no potential issues. Simmons is a lot less scary without the ball

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 9, 2018

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

jackofarcades posted:

this is true, but do you remember how bad in the clutch and stupid the 6ers were? Simmons and Embiid did not come off looking very good

Embiid is amazing but yeah he does a ton of stupid poo poo and can be pretty sloppy with the ball still. There so many things he can do that are incredible for someone that size but he doesn't always know when to do them or isn't able to pull it off consistently yet.

Silly Burrito posted:

With all the talk about who is the GOAT during the finals, I found this in a Houston mall today.

Nice of Kobe and LeBron to help Jordan off the court.

I appreciate that painted Kobe looks embarrassed to be included in this

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

AnacondaHL posted:

You'll have to excuse my jadedness, but after living through Earl Clark and Markieff Morris I'm not immediately putting my faith in the franchise to do actually meaningful and proper things with mid round firsts. If it weren't for Booker I'd be more :wtc: at anyone thinking the Suns can scout beyond the top 3 of any draft class.

Morris was a pretty good pick! I mean shame that Kawahi went after but that's pretty good value for 13 usually

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
WELL ACTUALLY Kevin Durant was not drafted by OKC so there

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I gotta hear old dudes like Oak say the stupidest poo poo as they tongue bathe Bill Simmons in the hope of some future book or media cash and it's like...y'all keep going after the King for this and that poo poo your dumb rear end thinks is "girly" or not up to par with MJ and meanwhile you old farts don't have any poo poo to sling at a fart huffer who joined his immediate rival after almost beating them in 7 (to form the most boringly stacked team in history that only has to try try 30% of the time).

I tried to listen to that podcast because the idea of oak telling stories was good but had to stop like ten minutes in, old players are so loving insecure

Punkin Spunkin posted:

P.s. Trust in Pop, trust in the basketball deep state

Pop about to hit the cellar, grab his best wine, n start kicking down doors and poo poo.
https://twitter.com/DejounteMurray/status/1005290955149201408

This would be dope

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/JoshCribbs16/status/1005864873853620226?s=19

metapod is this true

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

WhyteRyce posted:

Cribbs couldn't break tackles how is he breaking scoops

how many pro bowls did you make shithead

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

how would that even happen

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

zoux posted:

Pending discovery of being a sex pest or wife beater: yeah Chad Johnson owns

He was arrested for beating his wife

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

THE SO CALLED KING

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
what is Ben Simmons really if not a taller dejounte murray

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Why would they argue about that they clearly think it's fine :shrug:

I like to imagine that Javale McGee is secretely extremely woke. He missed that dunk because he got distracted thinking about the housing crisis

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Salvor_Hardin posted:

This is stupid but getting a 800lb man to play hockey goalie would work I think.

It definitely would, hockey fans are just too insecure to admit that their sport is so easily solved

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
the first super team lmao

The dedication of Kobe and his super fans to gaslighting people into forgetting that motivated Shaq was by far the best player in the world for that whole stretch is honestly almost inspiring

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
70-8 at halftime so Panama went on a real run there

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

$200 million heals a lot of wounds

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Cool Buff Man posted:

I think the only people here who worked themselves into a frenzy about him definitely wanting to be traded were the Spurs fans man

Also Philly fans who weirdly thought that, like, Fultz and a late lottery pick was too much for a MVP candidate.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Wouldn't want to risk a sure thing like the guard who forgot how to properly shoot a basketball.

Also if his team wants to offer him a supermax I assume he's probably not about to die.

R.D. Mangles posted:

actually, i've read some Basketball Bloggers that assure me that basketball is an improvisational art at times as tough and spare as the prose of Ernest Hemingway, at times flowing and lyrical, sometimes incomprehensible like James Joyce or the works of Apollinaire and that JR Smith is exactly like Friendster

If you're gonna do this correctly I think you need to name drop Miles Davis too

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Too scared of the pending Jazz dynasty to even write it, I get it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

Hahah, oops. Forgot to scroll down after the Spurs on the list I was making this from.

They actually have some roster flexibility. They'd have to renounce Exum and Favors, waive all of the non guranteed deals (Thabo, Udoh, Jerrebko), and find someone to take Burks, but I think they can get to max room if they really try. Also, um, lots of NBA guys now seem to like Park Slope? It's definitely happening.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 12, 2018

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

MelancholyMark posted:

Park City? Although yes, it's definitely happening. Exorcise the MJ demons from Utah.

Oh yeah whoops, I follow too many New York writers on Twitter

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Punkin Spunkin posted:

p.p.s. Was Kobe always this obviously insecure? Jeez

Yes

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Houston is cool

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

NotWearingPants posted:

Is that a joke? The only complimentary thing I've ever heard about Houston is that it's not as bad as Jacksonville.

No I really liked it. It's a sprawling mess but there's plenty of cool stuff hidden in there, people were super nice, and the food is great.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 12, 2018

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

WhyteRyce posted:

Is that really a problem though? As long as you know where to go or at least just look on your phone and the place isn't ridiculously crowded then who cares if you have to pass 8 Applebee's on the way

Also most places have lots of chains, that's what makes them chains. No one is forcing you to eat at them. There is plenty of great and diverse food to be had there without trying especially hard, and it's super affordable by big city standards

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Cool Buff Man posted:

Houston is a BOG

Bog full of good barbecue and cheap lone star which is the best kind

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Cool Buff Man posted:

After turning 900 years old I find myself sensitive to climate above all other things. Sure I live in a Tundra wasteland for half of the year but at least I don't sweat during that time

A little sweat is good for ya.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

zoux posted:

Might I recommend literally any other city in the state.

I like Texas generally (except Dallas which struck me as kinda weirdly antiseptic, though I'd be willing to try again) but Houston had its own character I dug I lot. Houston also seemed uniquely diverse.

I live in southern California so I don't really mind sprawl or traffic. Houston reminded me of LA with worse weather but better BBQ and cost of living

MourningView fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 12, 2018

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Followed by

https://twitter.com/NBCSWarriors/status/1006643495484813313?s=19

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Redgrendel2001 posted:

The Vietnamese food in Houston is the best Asian cuisine I've ever had.

It's super loving good! I was happy my friend convinced me to try some of the Asian places rather than sticking entirely to more stereotypical Texan food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dejan Bimble posted:

As people outside the process all we can do is make guesses. I don't know how good Nick Nurse is at getting people to buy into things. I don't know how savvy he is with playcalls. I don't know his emotional intelligence or his organizing skill.

It was admittedly the D League, which is not the same thing, but he has at least been a head coach before, and an extremely successful one with two different teams

• Locked thread