Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

In my country, when a company offers a product for sale and it is not fit for purpose - for a reasonable period of time after purchase, the consumer is protected by law.

When you buy products and services they come with automatic guarantees that they will work and do what you asked for. Spare parts or repairs must be available.

Breaches of this result can result in sizeable fines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Also what kind of legal entity is LMG, if he's talking about his family having to take care of warranty issues (???) :iiam:

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
"what if i died, then my wife had to look at my face for warranty returns" is legit such a bad answer you have to assume the real answer has to be pretty bad or bonkers lol

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Tiny Timbs posted:

I still think you’re talking about it like it has a giant print of Linus’ face winking at you instead of the letters “LTT” in a small patch

also in hindsight, lol

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

kliras posted:

perfect timing:

https://twitter.com/OTKnetwork/status/1556739967115739141

moist is known from youtube, and otk is a bunch of twitch folks - and asmongold who's that nerd who's always throwing an alt-right tantrum tantrum in that recommended youtube video you can't get rid of

to make mattersr more fun, otk was recently sponsored by ... artesian builds

it's gonna be interesting if or when tech youtubers decide to review it; these are not people who are generally great at handling criticism

lol at these prices

also they use those awful deepcool "airflow" cases, but prebuilts with poo poo thermals is nothing new I guess. But hey, at least they have a warranty!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

kliras posted:

perfect timing:

https://twitter.com/OTKnetwork/status/1556739967115739141

moist is known from youtube, and otk is a bunch of twitch folks - and asmongold who's that nerd who's always throwing an alt-right tantrum tantrum in that recommended youtube video you can't get rid of

to make mattersr more fun, otk was recently sponsored by ... artesian builds

it's gonna be interesting if or when tech youtubers decide to review it; these are not people who are generally great at handling criticism

Moist has been getting into a lot more business ventures the last few years, most notably an esports team lol. I like the guy overall and he hasn't given any reasons to doubt his brand, but teaming up with a content crew that does *checks notes* World of Warcraft videos is an odd pick.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

lol at these prices

also they use those awful deepcool "airflow" cases, but prebuilts with poo poo thermals is nothing new I guess. But hey, at least they have a warranty!

For prebuilts that doesn't seem like too bad of a deal. A bit inflated but the warranty is nice.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

The OTK PC company also got Artesian's old COO, who ran the only part of the business that worked.

Those prices are kinda nuts though, the low-end build is about $400 more than just building it yourself and their livestream announcing the new business was an absolute dumpster fire, none of the owners could answer any questions on what set them apart from other pre-built companies, didn't know who NZXT was, banning chatters.

CBD Corndog fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 9, 2022

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

cage-free egghead posted:

For prebuilts that doesn't seem like too bad of a deal. A bit inflated but the warranty is nice.

it's inflated by a significant amount particularly relative to the components used and i wouldn't generally value a warranty from a startup like i would one from an established company. i don't know how good their warranty service is, they don't either yet

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The 1660 Ti and 3080 machines have really bad prices. The 3070 one is okay-ish, but they should've at least thrown a 12400 in there.

I feel like $1000 can get you a hell of a lot more than what you're getting there if you buy from almost anywhere else. They're putting a loving 10100 in that thing lmao. I can spec out a better PC from Skytech (with an RX 6600/i5-12100) for $100 cheaper, or you can get an RX 6600 XT/5600G PC from Micro Center for the same price. Skytech is also selling an 3600/2060 PC on Newegg for $1000. Best Buy has a bunch of options that seem better.

It's really just charging $1000 for a PC with a 10100 that gets to me. That's egregiously bad.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I would expect 10th gen CPUs in the lineup of an integrator that's been around for at least 2 years and still needs to get rid of their old stock, not from a startup. Why did they even buy those?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

CBD Corndog posted:

Those prices are kinda nuts though, the low-end build is about $400 more than just building it yourself

This has been true for years though in regards to prebuilt vs DIY and isn't really surprising to anyone.

CoolCab posted:

i wouldn't generally value a warranty from a startup like i would one from an established company. i don't know how good their warranty service is, they don't either yet

That's true and hadn't even considered it. Wonder how good Artesian's warranty is...

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
1. Don't buy prebuilt systems.
2. If you do, the value already sucks. Maybe this provider can excel by consistently putting systems together properly and having appropriate cooling, XMP enabled, etc. I'm going to guess they won't, though.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

This has been true for years though in regards to prebuilt vs DIY and isn't really surprising to anyone.
Nahhh. The places that want to rip you off, or still hold on to the "there must be a 40% markup", then that is true. But major companies, the cost increase is in the 100 buck range versus building it yourself, generally that is, you will always find exceptions. The biggest cost savings with a pre-built, which Microsoft doesn't really care about anymore, is Windows itself if you have to buy that at full retail.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Koskun posted:

Nahhh. The places that want to rip you off, or still hold on to the "there must be a 40% markup", then that is true. But major companies, the cost increase is in the 100 buck range versus building it yourself, generally that is, you will always find exceptions. The biggest cost savings with a pre-built, which Microsoft doesn't really care about anymore, is Windows itself if you have to buy that at full retail.

A quick glance with NZXT, Skytech, and iBuyPower are all priced right around the same as Starforge for similar specs. I've not heard anything alarming about any of the warranty support though. Maybe you mean the likes of HP or Dell but then you get things like them having the shittiest GPU or non-optimized RAM among other things.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
https://twitter.com/linusgsebastian/status/1556785590288281600?s=20&t=pcEyz6IQ_XMWA8AMQfDNsw

that's certainly one interpretation of what happened, yes

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

A quick glance with NZXT, Skytech, and iBuyPower are all priced right around the same as Starforge for similar specs. I've not heard anything alarming about any of the warranty support though. Maybe you mean the likes of HP or Dell but then you get things like them having the shittiest GPU or non-optimized RAM among other things.

Honestly, yeah, I mean the likes of Dell and HP (really the only two left). The others you mentioned just can't do the volume that they can. MicroCenter perhaps, as their prices for full computers I think are their shelf prices, then a 50 buck fee to have them build it if you want.

From my experience with Dell, the biggest issue is the PSU, as they put in the absolute bare minimum that will technically run the system. Usually the video cards are actual branded cards with their sticker slapped on, and the memory can sometimes be optimized in the BIOS. But Dell/HP are far from the only pre-built company that doesn't optimize RAM in their systems.

As to Linus. As I see it, he's basically trying to say "All warranty's are lovely, so why bother having one" and hiding behind that as a defense. When what he should of done is "I believe in the product and will back it up officially, and I won't be one of those slimy companies that tries to weasel out of their warranty however they can. It's what we are already doing, but it will be in print now." There, problem solved.

The whole "well if I die I don't want my wife to look at my face everyday" was just so bad, and he kept on digging.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
well i went and did a little looking, and this is interesting

that's their COO and i think merch head but i could be mistaken there, months ago. this was an attempted media strategy, which is interesting

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
It’s because he doesn’t actually stand behind his products, and is refusing the responsibility that comes with running a business at the scale he has pushed towards.

He’s just like every other lovely rich guy. He doesn’t wanna have warranties because that costs money.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
to me going "eh, i'm not sure we'll be making this in five years" with "oh yeah we're going to make it easy to fix you know, little stuff, zippers, hypothetically" in combination with the attempted strategy of no warranty paints a picture of a lack of confidence in the product, honestly.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

A quick glance with NZXT, Skytech, and iBuyPower are all priced right around the same as Starforge for similar specs.

This is not really true. Skytech, iBuyPower, and NZXT have PCs for around $1000 that are a lot better. I think you're underestimating just how bad the 10100 is in a gaming PC. That's a horrendously bad CPU.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I wouldn't even expect a lifetime warranty for this product since it's new and not like anything they've produced before. They really have no idea what the failure rate would be. 1 year is the minimum though and 3 sounds reasonable.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

EngineerJoe posted:

They really have no idea what the failure rate would be.

they should have a pretty good idea with adequate market research from similar product and conversations with their suppliers, particularly for moving parts. for a 250 dollar entry point frankly imo they should be doing some endurance testing too

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

lol at these prices

Charles Leclerc posted:

Maybe y'all should start a pre-build PC thread so other goons can tell you how stupid you are for not buying some $1000 rucksack because that's all they need to carry their CS Go team mates while eating a bologna sandwich and then you can feel the migraine I have right now reading this poo poo.

loving Christ alive.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

lol at these prices

Lol at the CPUs in particular

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
how is a 3080 and a 12th gen i7 "entry-level 4k gaming"

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

gradenko_2000 posted:

how is a 3080 and a 12th gen i7 "entry-level 4k gaming"

Crysis remastered at ultra settings?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
aaand they're announcing a change in prices

https://clips.twitch.tv/FrozenDarkCrowRuleFive-vV8w0m2XDy0ZZHoG

he also says they were using prices from eight months ago?(!)

twitch streamers and youtubers man

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I look forward to the eventual crumbling meltdown

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
I'm still not sure how their screwdriver is 90 bucks. Wera makes a ratcheting screwdriver with internal bit storage for $50-60 in the US, about half that in Europe. And I'd much rather trust Wera in that tool area!

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Agreed, Wera rules…

and it all goes back to the fact that you’re paying a premium to get it from a YouTuber

Again, everyone can pursue happiness in their own way. I’m just pointing out why it wouldn’t be right for me

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
90 bucks should be a torque driver TBH. And the market is wide open for a good one, none of the existing products are particularly great.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

lol at these prices

Looks like they already reacted to the backlash

(That i3 is still laughable)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Merch is a way to support a channel while also getting something in exchange, I assume nobody putting out branded screwdrivers thinks they are making the finest tools in the world. I exclusively buy Wera screwdrivers because they aren't even expensive if you ignore the extreme poo poo tier end of the market.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Artesian had a whole inventory of parts when they went bankrupt, I wonder if these guys are the ones that bought it up. That might explain both the old-stock CPUs and the prices -- they might have bid on a huge stock of GPUs back before the prices started dropping.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Thanks Ants posted:

Merch is a way to support a channel while also getting something in exchange, I assume nobody putting out branded screwdrivers thinks they are making the finest tools in the world. I exclusively buy Wera screwdrivers because they aren't even expensive if you ignore the extreme poo poo tier end of the market.

It really bugs me how much crap that's out there. Such a waste of resources, time, and manpower. But some company making poo poo that breaks instantly made a bit of money!

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Thanks Ants posted:

Opinions on tools are subjective, but the tools that Handtool Rescue makes (and sells) appear to be quite good.

In addition to Wera having great, inexpensive screwdrivers, Vessel is another that are quite nice for the price.

As for youtuber merch, so far I think I've only bought a few shirts (2x from AvE and 1 from FranLab).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

old bean factory posted:

It really bugs me how much crap that's out there. Such a waste of resources, time, and manpower. But some company making poo poo that breaks instantly made a bit of money!

This is where I am. I think of the natural resources used up, the amount of effort put in, and the result being some unbranded poorly designed poo poo that gets drop shipped on Amazon, thrown in the bin almost instantly, and then the money refunded. What a waste.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

EngineerJoe posted:

Is there not even a 1 year warranty on that thing? That's actually horrendous.
Aren't they bound by law to offer some bare minimum warranty? Over here in Europe, if you sell brand-new goods commercially, you have to grant a two year warranty. I assume there's exemptions for small runs, but this is probably gonna be anything but a small run.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

TWBalls posted:

Opinions on tools are subjective, but the tools that Handtool Rescue makes (and sells) appear to be quite good.

In addition to Wera having great, inexpensive screwdrivers, Vessel is another that are quite nice for the price.

As for youtuber merch, so far I think I've only bought a few shirts (2x from AvE and 1 from FranLab).

gently caress that AvE guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

c355n4 posted:

gently caress that AvE guy.

It's been a while since I've watched him. What''d he do?